• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ST Survey: > 60.1% S’poreans are earning enough to lead comfortable lives

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]ST Survey: S’poreans are earning enough to lead comfortable lives[/h]
PostDateIcon.png
July 21st, 2012 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Editorial

imagesCANXC667.jpg

The Straits Times conducted a phone survey with 400 citizens (above 21 years old) in May. The findings of the survey concluded that most Singaporeans think they are earning enough money to lead a comfortable life.
Here are some of the results (percentages are rounded off):
Are you earning enough money to lead a comfortable life?

Yes – 70%
No – 30%

Do you think you will earn enough money to lead a comfortable life?

Yes – 68%
No – 32%

Think of your parents when they were your age. Would you say you have a higher or lower standard of living than them?

Higher – 78%
Same – 13%
Lower – 10%
National University of Singapore (NUS) sociologist Tan Ern Ser said the high levels of confidence were ‘quite remarkable’ given the unhappiness in the last few years over the influx of immigrants and the rising cost of living.

Also, according to the survey, most Singaporeans think their children will do better than them:
Think of your children. Do you think they will have a higher or lower standard of living than you?
Higher – 79%
Same – 12%
Lower – 9%

Do you think that the opportunities of children today to succeed will be better or worse than those you have had?
Better – 58%
Same – 11%
Worse – 30%

The breakdown by age groups to the same question:

21-2930-3940-4950-59Above 60
Better50%41%55%68%73%
Same17%14%14%6%8%
Worse33%45%31%26%18%

<COLGROUP><COL span=6 width=64></COL></COLGROUP><TBODY>
</TBODY>
However, when it comes to income gap, most Singaporeans are worried:
Are you worried about the income gap between rich and poor?
Yes – 70%
No – 30%

Do you think that the income gap affects social mobility, that is, people’s ability to improve their lives in terms of income, education, career and status?

Yes – 83%
No – 17%

Do you think that the Govt has done enough to ensure that both the rich and the poor have chances to succeed and move up financially?

Yes – 39%
No – 61%
Mr Yeoh Lam Keong, vice-president of the Economic Society said, “People are correctly perceiving the impact of a wide income gap. And they are sending a clear message that they are uncomfortable with it.”

When comes to looking at own economic circumstances in 10 years’ time, the situation is less optimistic:
Thinking about 10 years from now, how do you think your economic circumstances will be?

Better – 15%
Somewhat better – 26%
Same – 18%
Somewhat worse – 30%
Much worse – 11%
In fact, according to MOM’s report, the real median income growth, i.e. after adjusting for inflation, was only 1.0% in 2011, down from 2.2% in 2010:

SG Median income growth (nominal)5.1%6.3%
SG Median income growth (real)2.2%1.0%

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

However, thanks to Mr Leong Sze Hian’s letter to the media [Link], asking why a real median income growth rate of -0.6% for 2011 was used in the calculation of National Bonus for political office-holders, Prime Minister’s Office and MOM came out to clarify.

It was thus revealed by the Government that the MOM’s 1.0% real median income growth rate for employed Singaporeans included the employers’ CPF contributions while the -0.6% real median income growth rate used by PMO for the National Bonus calculation did not include.
Therefore, we now know that in 2011, the real median ‘Take-home’ income growth rate among employed Singaporeans is -0.6% (i.e., excluding employers’ CPF contributions).
Join our TRE facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/TREmeritus

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sound like an open lies. I can't stand PAP mole even bother to spend so much time writing such unrealistic piece of shit. Don't she have better things to do, like helping to cull cats or pigeons in estates which is more rewarding them sucking up to PAP.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lies, damn lies and statistics. Only an idiot would believe the findings of a propaganda paper's unscientific survey.

They don't even try and be subtle about it these days.

Please try harder, you bunch of running dogs and poor prostitutes.

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
If The PAP controlled newspapers say so then it must be the absolute truth!!!

Who dares to call them liars and get sued for bankruptcy?

:smile:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
What has today's high standard of living gotta do with the gahmen? PAP invented mobile phones? Which particular medical advancements did the PAPzis make? :confused:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's true. everytime in sg i see starbucks stores are packed, food courts have no open tables, long lines at specialty restaurants, even burger king and pizza hut joints are jammed, mass of people are smiling and in good mood, shopping malls crowded like sardine cans, expensive cars on the road, uncles sitting in kopitiams having so much leisure time, aunties in a shopping frenzy, or busy watching their favorite tv drama. it's paradise. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
it's true. everytime in sg i see starbucks stores are packed, food courts have no open tables, long lines at specialty restaurants,

Tell me about it!!! The majority of sinkies are simply swimming in disposable $$$$$$$$. I'm surprised the survey reports 70% who are comfortable. I would think the real figure is something like 90%.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lies, damn lies and statistics. Only an idiot would believe the findings of a propaganda paper's unscientific survey.

They don't even try and be subtle about it these days.

Please try harder, you bunch of running dogs and poor prostitutes.

that's the problem. sinkieland has plenty of idiots , or selfish idiots.

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's true. everytime in sg i see starbucks stores are packed, food courts have no open tables, long lines at specialty restaurants, even burger king and pizza hut joints are jammed, mass of people are smiling and in good mood, shopping malls crowded like sardine cans, expensive cars on the road, uncles sitting in kopitiams having so much leisure time, aunties in a shopping frenzy, or busy watching their favorite tv drama. it's paradise. :rolleyes:

It's a fact. We are all staying in close to half a mil pigeon hole which can sell off cash out anytime.
Basically we are living in a pot of gold.