• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Soon Heng Restaurant closes, no S'porean wanted job

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh no. What I recommend is CPF for PR still as per normal. Then if they choose (or forced) to leave, money is withheld by the CPF indefinitely, which can help alleviate the current pension shortfall that caused CPF withdrawal age to be increased. So for non-citizens or those who never convert to Singapore citizenship, it is as good as a tax being levied on foreigners.

Taxing is no good because this government when they have money, they will waste it by:
1) giving themselves a raise
2) building white elephants
3) buying new toys for the army

Withholding foreigner CPF for disbursement to citizens is killing two birds with one stone. CPF can probably pay a higher interest rate to citizen accounts when PR accounts are withheld, leading to a more comfortable retirement and possibly reinstatement of pension withdrawal age to 55.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro,,I rather tax them straight off,,,to hold CPF indefinately means have to put up with the KPKB of PRs,,why leave ourselves open to more FT crap?

Oh no. What I recommend is CPF for PR still as per normal. Then if they choose (or forced) to leave, money is withheld by the CPF indefinitely, which can help alleviate the current pension shortfall that caused CPF withdrawal age to be increased. So for non-citizens or those who never convert to Singapore citizenship, it is as good as a tax being levied on foreigners.

Taxing is no good because this government when they have money, they will waste it by:
1) giving themselves a raise
2) building white elephants
3) buying new toys for the army

Withholding foreigner CPF for disbursement to citizens is killing two birds with one stone. CPF can probably pay a higher interest rate to citizen accounts when PR accounts are withheld, leading to a more comfortable retirement and possibly reinstatement of pension withdrawal age to 55.

wanker10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually this Soon Heng is quite popular in Race Course Road. They have very huge lunch crowd. They are also very popular with the HK stars & singers like Alan Tam, Eric Tseng...

I personally think their curry fish head is ok & ppl likes them is becos they are not so "indian" style. Their lime juice is damn good. Another one that bite the dust at Race Course Road that was operated by Chinese is "我们的“ or "Our Makan Shop" also famous for their curry fish head.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,,I rather tax them straight off,,,to hold CPF indefinately means have to put up with the KPKB of PRs,,why leave ourselves open to more FT crap?

I think the PRs will KPKB more if CPF contribution changes to personal tax or levy. Besides if you tax PRs, you lose company contribution to worker CPF.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I personally think their curry fish head is ok & ppl likes them is becos they are not so "indian" style. Their lime juice is damn good. Another one that bite the dust at Race Course Road that was operated by Chinese is "我们的“ or "Our Makan Shop" also famous for their curry fish head.

The last time I have eaten there was two to three years ago. I found the curry more watered down than what I could remember of earlier visits. Maybe of this drop in standard that their business had suffered.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually u brought up a good point...and I think the best is PRs and FTs pay the 20% tax instead of CPF and Employers pay tax instead of CPF contributions to the gahmen,,that will be a disincentive to hire foreigners,,the objective is to protect the middle class and disadvantage foreigners...or Companies pay 30% tax on hiring FTs...in PMET positions,,,F&B etc will make it easier,,as i said b4,,none of us will work in F&B,,might as well let FTs do it

I think the PRs will KPKB more if CPF contribution changes to personal tax or levy. Besides if you tax PRs, you lose company contribution to worker CPF.

sta1100

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually this Soon Heng is quite popular in Race Course Road. They have very huge lunch crowd. They are also very popular with the HK stars & singers like Alan Tam, Eric Tseng...

I Really miss our makan shop, at 1 time they have shifted to Whampoh area but business was not good. Miss their curry fish head

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
A case of failed entrepreneur who is not business savvy and not smart enough to come out with creative solutions to overcome his business failure in the competitive market now blame on lack of workers. This type of business owners will go burst sooner or later.
Better sooner than later.

What's worst is the prostitute SPH putting out all these excuses articles to justify their master's FT policy.

Their prices have gone sky high......... something like doubled over last 5 yrs despite hiring chinamen in the kitchen n waiting...
Anyway the couple has a huge nestegg to live life comfortably......... good riddence!

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
The last time I have eaten there was two to three years ago. I found the curry more watered down than what I could remember of earlier visits. Maybe of this drop in standard that their business had suffered.

Std still maintained but prices rocketted to the moon......... greedy buggers!

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
MOM always screws up!
Appeal to Minister is delegated to D Director to handle with full authority...... so what do you expect from MOM??? This was the case of my fren who appealed to Minister MOM but deputy direct Lau handled it with prejudice, ie in favour of his counterpart in Stat Board.
Where got any more confidence in MOM anymore?????????????????

wanker10

Alfrescian
Loyal
I Really miss our makan shop, at 1 time they have shifted to Whampoh area but business was not good. Miss their curry fish head

The last time i ate was at Boon Keng opp Towner road.The round HDB blk that stretch from Serangoon to Bendemeer Rd. But it was open by the boss nephew. Yes, damn ex.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
must be cheapskates slave driver employers..........never heard of this place before also........must be some act famous place close due to no business........good riddance.

nonetheless I miss this dish........... understand owner got siblings selling the same dish BUT where to find them????

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
You don't seem them complaining about closing when they were raking it in in the good ole days with foreign workers.

I mean expensive food with cheap labour only means one thing, lotsa profits.

You pay $2000 to Singaporeans, obviously they only want five day work week.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
You don't seem them complaining about closing when they were raking it in in the good ole days with foreign workers.

I mean expensive food with cheap labour only means one thing, lotsa profits.

You pay $2000 to Singaporeans, obviously they only want five day work week.

actually during its dying days it was runned by PRC n taste a bit off
oso asked for a bit more gravy but not given...... fucking PRCs ...before PRCs there was one or 2 locals very accomodating....... I think one of them is now chep in York hotel selling same type of dish
expensive but quite close

greed led to closure of an icon

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually during its dying days it was runned by PRC n taste a bit off
oso asked for a bit more gravy but not given...... fucking PRCs ...before PRCs there was one or 2 locals very accomodating....... I think one of them is now chep in York hotel selling same type of dish
expensive but quite close

greed led to closure of an icon

m&ds or shit skins? You sure? I won't have a m&d or a shit skin serve me in a chinese retaurant. That's it. Mind you even sinkie chinese wouldn't be that accomodating.

Anyway back to my original statement. You think m&d or shit skins in a chinese restaurant is bad but it someone says it out it's racist but it doesn't apply the same way to chinese restaurants. I suppose it is like this to you. Chinese people not real japanese ppl working in a japanese restaurant = it's fine and the japanese resturant but japananese and chinese especially chinese restaurants need to hire m&d or shit skins to work there if not they are racist right? You agree?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The problem is clearly with the Soon Heng restaurant owners, who is only able to run their business if they can find cheap workers to exploit. McDonald's and other fast food chains can find lots of cheap and part-time workers to sell their food, and they are doing a roaring trade. Laugh and mock at fast food all you want, but they are very popular and they have many branches. Your typical sinkie restaurant could take some human resource management lessons from them before complaining about shortage of workers.