• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Some Reflections this Christmas seasons

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the past, I am always very irritated by the commercialization of Christmas. I was perplexed when i attended US companies' Christmas celebrations. They were all drinking, merry-making sessions where there is not even a mention of God or Jesus, or the Christian religion. I am dismayed.

I was ,very very surprised that many people in Asia,even Christians did not know that Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus's birth or the Christian religion. I was one of them.I did not really know myself until i was in Europe some time back and the Europeans pointed this out to me. In another ocasion, my Japanese friends told me that the very reason for the popularity of Christmas in Japan is precisely "Christmas is a non-Christian secular western festival"(the Japanese he reasoned do not want to celebrate Christian religious festivals).

Christmas is a pagan festival. I read that the celebration of Christmas was once outlawed by a Christian king for its non-Christian ,pagan origins. The Jehovah Witness forbid its followers to celebrate it. Some attributed Christmas to winter solstice festival celebrated in Europe before the advent of Christianity while others tell of religious festivals honoring Greek deities. The last time i visited Europe, there were a some public campaigns to celebrate Christmas in its originality that is stripped of anything Christianity , much to the dismay of churches who are already grappling with low church attendence. Europe are starting to search for their rich pre-Christian historical roots which they lamented has been destroyed intentionally by early Christian missionaries who spread this Middle East religion into Europe.

Personally, i am still adjusting to this startling fact. i still cannot accept a Christmas that is non-Christianity in nature. The childhood Christian education,the images of Jesus in the Manger,the church's plays of Jesus and the Christian religion still lingers in my mind during the Christmas seasons.However, I take some comfort that Santa Claus, Christmas trees and exchanging presents are still part of non-religious Christmas.

Maybe like the Europeans and many Americans i should also look back and discover the original Asian religious and cultures of my grandparents, which sadly have already seems so distant and so unfamiliar to me.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I love the fact that it is a Japanese tradition to eat KFC during Christmas. I remember watching a Jap film - Departures - and wondered why they are gorging on KFC during Christmas. Now I know it is a fucking successful marketing campaign by KFC.

Dun get too hung up about the "original" traditions of Christmas. If you are really pious, go to a church for service. Otherwise, drink and be merry. Happy holidays from a Buddhist.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
how i interpret xmas, a joyful season, an holiday to celebrate peace and harmony, holiday to celebrate with your loved ones. praise the lord whom all blessings flow. although i am not a genuine christian, i respect the lord but not his followers.

god_zeus

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is time you question all that you were taught to beLIEve from childhood

I am often amazed at people who find it so hard to shake off old beLIEfs

if you have (startlingly) found out that christmas has nothing to do with christ..then you should strongly question all that you have learn to this day
]

Last edited:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
how i interpret xmas, a joyful season, an holiday to celebrate peace and harmony, holiday to celebrate with your loved ones. praise the lord whom all blessings flow. although i am not a genuine christian, i respect the lord but not his followers.

hahaha...u sound ok and goot luck to u bro.. but don't forget to take your medicine regularly.