• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans outraged by SLA’s S$11.8 million fraud case

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in reality, almost no1 can resist d temptation of $$$.
dey sitting high up, can manipulate things. why not?

working until die yet nothing.
why not make full use of your advantages?

dey should do one big time and run road.

Singaporeans outraged? hw many can ever earn 1million in life by working?
u really wun do it? also, hw many were outraged when Ho Ching lost few billions?:oIo:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
This is hypothetical so don't try to guess who it is. What if we observe

1) Company is related to PAP
2) Company win contract which include responsbility to manage tenders
2) Company call tender and award to their own subsidary
3) Company call tender and award to highest bidder after allowing highest bidder to amend quote

Dear Aurvandil,

You are letting MY CAT out of the bag! Please stop!

Goh Meng Seng

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
You try bribing a malaysian, thai, taiwanese policeman compared with bribing a singapore policeman. :wink:

The sheer number of Singapore policemen and ICA and MOM officers getting caught for corruption shows that these group of people can be bribed but you need to have a big and consistent business so that you can pay them a lot and continue to pay them with a steady stream of extra income.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
in reality, almost no1 can resist d temptation of $$$.
dey sitting high up, can manipulate things. why not?

working until die yet nothing.
why not make full use of your advantages?

dey should do one big time and run road.

Singaporeans outraged? hw many can ever earn 1million in life by working?
u really wun do it? also, hw many were outraged when Ho Ching lost few billions?:oIo:

You are right. MM Lee has said recently to the Russians that don't give high pay to their civil servants or politicians. It won't help... now.. why he said that when Singapore is practicing this? This is something for us to chew on it.

Goh Meng Seng

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are right. MM Lee has said recently to the Russians that don't give high pay to their civil servants or politicians. It won't help... now.. why he said that when Singapore is practicing this? This is something for us to chew on it.

Goh Meng Seng

I agree with MM Lee on this. In countries like India, China, Russia and Indonesia, Corruption is so institutionalized that giving them high pay wont make a difference, they'll just be as corrupt and take a higher pay that's all. The problem with those places is that if you are not corrupt but everyone else is, it's going to be a freaking problem coz believe it or not the corrupt colleague of yours is more likely to have a better standing with the corrupt boss then U.

I guess I'm among the minority that does not mind the ministers having high pay. To me I see it simply as, someone has a very high paying job, its more likely that they will do a proper job and not screw it up with petty corruption and risk such a high paying job.

A high salary does not guarantee that someone will not be corrupted. However just think about it, is a desperate staving man more likely to commit a crime to find his next meal or a well fed one? I'm sure everyone will agree its the former.

U can argue that some countries with lower minister pay then us are ranked just as high if not higher on the least corruption rankings but then again, have we reached that level on enlightenment as these nations? I seriously doubt so

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with MM Lee on this. In countries like India, China, Russia and Indonesia, Corruption is so institutionalized that giving them high pay wont make a difference, they'll just be as corrupt and take a higher pay that's all. The problem with those places is that if you are not corrupt but everyone else is, it's going to be a freaking problem coz believe it or not the corrupt colleague of yours is more likely to have a better standing with the corrupt boss then U.

I guess I'm among the minority that does not mind the ministers having high pay. To me I see it simply as, someone has a very high paying job, its more likely that they will do a proper job and not screw it up with petty corruption and risk such a high paying job.

A high salary does not guarantee that someone will not be corrupted. However just think about it, is a desperate staving man more likely to commit a crime to find his next meal or a well fed one? I'm sure everyone will agree its the former.

U can argue that some countries with lower minister pay then us are ranked just as high if not higher on the least corruption rankings but then again, have we reached that level on enlightenment as these nations? I seriously doubt so

Let's be honest, Corruption can never be eradicated. Being taught in a society that corruption is forbidden, imagine the cultural shock i got when I worked in Taiwan and Thailand previously. Talking about high morals and not paying a single cent is not going to get anything to work out for you. People still want something to fill their pockets.

I am ok with Ministers having high salaries. Because I have seen other guys working in pte sector getting as much as if not more than these Ministers.
Seriously, what is MP's allowance of $13.5K when there are many more others who are out there earning more money than them. (I know what I think others will not agree also. But I don't think I would like to be a hypocrite trying to agree with the majority for the sake of agreeing). There is however 1 thing which I don't agree with LKY on is having high pay means no corruption. Because being poor doesn't mean one is dishonest. While being rich doesn't mean he must be living a life of an honest man. But when faced with a situation of living from hand to hand vs a person who has enough money to spend, the tendency to commit crime is higher for the one who needs it more.

Back to this fraud case from SLA, I can only say they got too greedy without thinking how to cover themselves. over 5 million per year, and they think they can go undetected. They should have learnt from errant lawyer Zulklifli Amin, scoot off with over 10million, and not found till today. This guy before he scoot off, at least 8 months before that, he has already been planning his moves. On 1 incident, from a recommendation, I used his services for conveyancing and he can withhold $80K stakeholding money trying to buy his time into releasing. Till I threatened to report that if I don't get the money released, I will go to the Police, and presto he immediately got the problem solved, and money was released. That time I did not think too much into it, till his face was splashed on the papers months later. These commercial fraudsters spend time hatching plots to cheat. And if their intention is to cheat, no matter how rigorous the system is, they will still manage to do so. (Of course the more rigorous the system only makes it more difficult but doesn't make it impossible for them)