• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans Not The Opposition Parties

Windsor2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
are the ones who say yes or no. This is the heart of the matter that all should take note. Whether WP or PAP wins Hougang or it is a 3-4 corner fight, we will decide.

Singaporeans today are more sophisticated than before and we need an opposition to sit in Parliament. I don't think we should worry about the opposition parties performance in Parliament or how well they maintain their wards. All we care about is to have a few opposition in Parliament so that the incumbents will not have their 100% monopoly. Yes, it is not enough and we want more, but that depends also on the opposition parties to play their part.

What GMS and some political observers and web blogs are doing is a disservice to the nation and it's people. Please get hold of yourselves as Singaporeans do not care too much about WP's performance these last months since GE2011. What can we expect from so few against their formidable opponents. Not least the PAP's performance even being so low par, nothing much the opposition MP's can do to make a dent. If we are level-headed, we know they can only do so much, given the fact they are outnumbered.

I went through many political comments from good writers as well as the responses, from critics, well-wishers and PAP supporters and it appears to me the focus is on WP's performance or the possibility of other opposition parties wanting to take part in the BE. Let's not be part of this groups and focus our attention on the voters themselves.

This is the best platform to reach out to them which will be more fruitful than arguing about who is for WP and who against. I repeat, it is not about WP but about Singapore and our future.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, I don't mind seeing a 3-corner in Hougang BE. Traditionally, political pundits assume it's PAP versus any opposition. More opposition candidates would split opposition votes. The Lilian Lee (WP) and Desmond Lim (SDA) case (sorry, I can't remember which SMC) have proved that this effect is negligible or at most marginal. By hindsight calculation, Lilian Lee couldn't have won an MP seat even if Desmond Lim didn't contest, but she could well have won an NCMP seat.

Unlike the Lilian Lee case, in Hougang where WP leads PAP by some 15% incumbency, I'd say sure victory. So a 3-corner would be a good test on the margin.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Windsor,

I am someone who dislike monopoly, be it business, economy, politics or otherwise.

It would not be responsible to just say that we just need opposition in parliament. What kinds of opposition do we need? Isit just good enough to put a few dummies sitting in parliament and label these as "opposition"? This is obviously better than putting cheats and scumbags in parliament, right?

I think as Singapore progress, expectations changed. Performance is a very important key factor in the selection process and we should not compromise on that.

Goh Meng Seng

What GMS and some political observers and web blogs are doing is a disservice to the nation and it's people. Please get hold of yourselves as Singaporeans do not care too much about WP's performance these last months since GE2011. What can we expect from so few against their formidable opponents. Not least the PAP's performance even being so low par, nothing much the opposition MP's can do to make a dent. If we are level-headed, we know they can only do so much, given the fact they are outnumbered.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goh Meng Seng,
Who are the dummies, cheats and scumbags sitting in parliament? If you want to salvage any bit of integrity you have left, you should name them. Otherwise you should stop calling names. Name these persons.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I do not have anyone in mind, just an illustration to Windsor to show that it is unreasonable to just put anyone in parliament as long as they are not PAP. Do you have someone in mind?

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng,
Who are the dummies, cheats and scumbags sitting in parliament? If you want to salvage any bit of integrity you have left, you should name them. Otherwise you should stop calling names. Name these persons.

Last edited:

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Windsor,

I am someone who dislike monopoly, be it business, economy, politics or otherwise.

It would not be responsible to just say that we just need opposition in parliament. What kinds of opposition do we need? Isit just good enough to put a few dummies sitting in parliament and label these as "opposition"? This is obviously better than putting cheats and scumbags in parliament, right?

I think as Singapore progress, expectations changed. Performance is a very important key factor in the selection process and we should not compromise on that.

Goh Meng Seng

You talked a lot of cocks. We have not even reached the quantity required to break the monopoly and you are babbling about performance and quality. Come on my friend, learn to crawl before you walk.

Last edited:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
are the ones who say yes or no. This is the heart of the matter that all should take note. Whether WP or PAP wins Hougang or it is a 3-4 corner fight, we will decide.

With due respect there is a flaw in the argument - Singaporeans cannot effectively decide how many parties will contest the election, which parties are contesting and who are the candidates. As a Singaporean, I will find it silly that a political party will ask for everyone's view including my own of whether it wants to contest - it's like Tan Kin Lian asking for 100,000 signatures. I will probably not only not give my view, but not vote for that party if it cannot even make a simple decision.

What I as a voter will do is to make my decision *after* the parties have decided whether to contest and if so who they will field, and my choice will be among the outcome of these choices, be it straight fight, 3CF or MCF.

Bear in mind that be it whatever combinations of contestants, 90%-95% usually vote and 3% or less will cast spoilt votes, so every party's decision does have an impact on the results. This is quite an established fact.

That is why I found it silly and illogical that the few purebred NSP supporters when asked by other pro-opposition supporters on NSP's position, took the evasive stand and said that Singaporeans will decide. Not you, of course.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, I don't mind seeing a 3-corner in Hougang BE. Traditionally, political pundits assume it's PAP versus any opposition. More opposition candidates would split opposition votes. The Lilian Lee (WP) and Desmond Lim (SDA) case (sorry, I can't remember which SMC) have proved that this effect is negligible or at most marginal. By hindsight calculation, Lilian Lee couldn't have won an MP seat even if Desmond Lim didn't contest, but she could well have won an NCMP seat.

Unlike the Lilian Lee case, in Hougang where WP leads PAP by some 15% incumbency, I'd say sure victory. So a 3-corner would be a good test on the margin.

In the sense, you are right because JBJ won Anson in 1981 in a 3-corner fight and it is presumptuous to conclude that LLL would be NCMP because some of Desmond's votes may go to spoil votes and who knows even PAP votes (noting that the total opposition votes in PE and EC were very razor close). In the long run, we are going to see that anyway - the more opposition parties and candidates the more seats won by the opposition which leads to more opposition candidates, some whom will contest the seats already won by another opposition. These signs are a prelude to changing of ruling party and I would say Singapore would come of age if it is not PAP vs the rest. Before these signs, it will have to come a time that the PAP ends up no. 3 in some constituencies.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
You will end up with deformed MPs if you don't pay attention to quality but only quantity.

Goh Meng Seng

You talked a lot of cocks. We have not even reached the quantity required to break the monopoly and you are babbling about performance and quality. Come on my friend, learn to crawl before you walk.

Last edited:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Put it in simple terms. What is happening in Taiwan now is the result of having opposition at all cost. It ended up with cheats like Chen Sui Bian and the likes. Two wrongs don't make one right.

Goh Meng Seng

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
You will end up with deformed MPs if you don't pay attention to quality but only quantity.

You're talking with your cock again. The majority wins in Parliament, regardless of quality, which is subjective anyway. Disagree with you, no quality, agree with you means quality? Quantity matters and decides the outcome. Voters vote for the candidates that they feel can best represent their wishes and voices in Parliament. Quality comes into play only at Cabinet level when PM selecting ministers to be primemovers of policies. You're really one hopeless nutcase.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're talking with your cock again. The majority wins in Parliament, regardless of quality, which is subjective anyway. Disagree with you, no quality, agree with you means quality? Quantity matters and decides the outcome. Voters vote for the candidates that they feel can best represent their wishes and voices in Parliament. Quality comes into play only at Cabinet level when PM selecting ministers to be primemovers of policies. You're really one hopeless nutcase.

It sounds very much like a line from years of PAP propaganda that we have heard. The surprise is who (what) it came from and who (what) has in my memory highest frequency of using "PAP-like" to down-describe others.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singaporeans today are more sophisticated than before and we need an opposition to sit in Parliament. I don't think we should worry about the opposition parties performance in Parliament or how well they maintain their wards. All we care about is to have a few opposition in Parliament so that the incumbents will not have their 100% monopoly. Yes, it is not enough and we want more, but that depends also on the opposition parties to play their part.
Thats not sophistication, thats childish. What is the point of putting an opposition in parliament that is nonsensical like WP? I think Singaporeans should be more sophisticated than that bro. We shld have PAP rather than WP in parliament since WP is so lousy. We shld at least have decent opposition rather than WP.

Its nothing to do with being out numbered at all, WP MPs including LTK simply tng kor in parliament in front of all Singkies. PAP did not even need to be smart, WP just screw themselves up.
What GMS did was exactly correct, he wanted WP to buck up.

I went through many political comments from good writers as well as the responses, from critics, well-wishers and PAP supporters and it appears to me the focus is on WP's performance or the possibility of other opposition parties wanting to take part in the BE. Let's not be part of this groups and focus our attention on the voters themselves.

Lets focus on having good MPs in parliament and having a world class parliament shall we? Not the masak masak type like WP. Talk a lot of hot air only. Not transparent, unaccountable, unapologetic and plain lacking in integrity.

This is the best platform to reach out to them which will be more fruitful than arguing about who is for WP and who against. I repeat, it is not about WP but about Singapore and our future.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Goh Meng Seng

Your skull is numbed.
Who said we don't need quality?
What I am implying is the voters should have a strategy because the oppositions cannot match the toxic propoganda PAP dished out.
Vote in as many oppositions as they possibly could and filter out those numbed skulls like you in the next election.
Apparently, 60% of Sinkies are politically naive and ignorant.

Put it in simple terms. What is happening in Taiwan now is the result of having opposition at all cost. It ended up with cheats like Chen Sui Bian and the likes. Two wrongs don't make one right.

Goh Meng Seng

This is exactly what PAP propaganda is all about....creating fear like you do. We do not even have the chance to reduce PAP's grip by 50% and you are bringing us to Taiwan. You are a real pathetic twit and btw your insinuation in the earlier post sucks!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GMS mai konglangjiaowei lah!
You are a political has been......sorry you are not even a has been because you never made any impact before to earn a has been title.
Pls go contest in Hougang so whole singapore can see you lose deposit.

You are either a little man with mental problems or a PAP stooge.

Sadist

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramseth.

You guys has been hurling insults at SDP team ( Ling, Cheo.. ) in parliament, making fun and mocking them consistently even after they are long gone. So, what gives about non forgiveable quality then and forgiveable now? Because they are not WP?

Don't get me wrong, I don't support GMS fully. We need opposition in parliament and if they are not in black and white wrong, we should give them time to gain experience and not coming out too hard on them. Afterall the greater devil is still the one that makes those decisions that affects our life.

So, look at yourself in the mirror first before calling others nuts. Don't forget you are ONE of those that are practically kicking SDP daily in the run up of the last election. And now you are crying out loud about quality?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ramseth.

You guys has been hurling insults at SDP team ( Ling, Cheo.. ) in parliament, making fun and mocking them consistently even after they are long gone. So, what gives about non forgiveable quality then and forgiveable now? Because they are not WP?

Don't get me wrong, I don't support GMS fully. We need opposition in parliament and if they are not in black and white wrong, we should give them time to gain experience and not coming out too hard on them. Afterall the greater devil is still the one that makes those decisions that affects our life.

So, look at yourself in the mirror first before calling others nuts. Don't forget you are ONE of those that are practically kicking SDP daily in the run up of the last election. And now you are crying out loud about quality?

Friend, you're replying to the wrong fellow. You should be replying to Forvendet. Anyway, this topic is within my area of interest and I shall address it anyway. Nobody in opposition including WP had been putting down Ling and Cheo. Low addressed them as colleages in Parliament. They put themselves down by siding with Chee in the coup against Chiam. One talked too much and too uncouthly and the other talked nothing at all. Shit happens. It happened to WP too as in the recent Yaw case. I agree with Forvendet that opposition needs the numbers in Parliament first and foremost, but who's to know when and what shit would happen?

Hindsight is always 20/20 unless one's intellectually blind. Even Yaw voting against Ling was based on his discretion and decision on hindsight.

Whereas, if you start to look for quality first, how are you going judge? Bachelor degree, master degree or doctorate? When one gains position and power, how would one change? Are there skeletons in the closet and when's the closet going to fall apart? There'd been PAP MPs who turned fugitve and committed suicide too.

Last edited:

Sadist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Friend, you're replying to the wrong fellow. You should be replying to Forvendet. Anyway, this topic is within my area of interest and I shall address it anyway. Nobody in opposition including WP had been putting down Ling and Cheo. Low addressed them as colleages in Parliament. They put themselves down by siding with Chee in the coup against Chiam. One talked too much and too uncouthly and the other talked nothing at all. Shit happens. It happened to WP too as in the recent Yaw case. I agree with Forvendet that opposition needs the numbers in Parliament first and foremost, but who's to know when and what shit would happen?

Hindsight is always 20/20 unless one's intellectually blind. Even Yaw voting against Ling was based on his discretion and decision on hindsight.

You know when I mentioned SDP team in Parliament, I was refering to their term as MPs. Why side track talking about coup?? What coup?

So, you guys now are singing a different tune, quality not important, numbers count. We shall see whether the attacks by the WP crowd on other opposition members quality stops, otherwise it is seen as one set of standard for WP and one set for others.

And stop using your clone to attack, you can deny all you want, I will stick that clone of yours on you all I want.

Last edited: