• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Bonds

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Interesting Bond issues

Avoid any investment in sinkapore. You can make better returns elsewhere and safer too.

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is actually a double whammy for reit, price drop , yield(dpu) also drop. For Bond, only drop price during rising interest rates. As long as one hold to maturity, no lost in principle.
REITs price are usually inversely correlated to interest rates outlook.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal

War Risks Slow Company Bond Sales to Least Since July ’13
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...ompany-bond-sales-to-least-since-july-13.html

“We’re still going to have issuance, but maybe there will be higher premiums, wider spreads and lower volumes if volatility increases,” Paul White, the head of global debt syndicate at Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd., said

ya true, in fact in aftermarket, many local corporate bonds dropped by appx $0.50 in the past 2 weeks.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am thinking to buy gold/ silver.
Etf or physical.
Which one better?

Anybody can share their experiences/ views?
Thanks!!

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheung Kong 5.125% Perpetual
http://em.cbonds.com/emissions/issue/20655
Lot Size: S$250K
Last Friday's Price: About 99 to 99.1 (including commission), excluding accrued interests.
Maturity: 2 more years (first-call date)

Advantage:
- The yields are high because this bond was issued years ago when interest rates were higher.
- Company owned by Mr Li Ka Shing's Cheung Kong Group. Cheung Kong Group owns properties and utility companies in HK.
- The parent company is ultra-rich now after offloading lots of assets in the past 1 year + their recent property launch is crazily oversubscribed in HK although property market is weak (they sold in micro 200sqft units). It is always safer to lend money to people who don't need to borrow.
- If they redeem back 2 years later, you enjoy 5.125%pa for 2 years + 1% bonus because it is trading below 100.

Risk:
- This is a shell-company based in offshore islands (for tax purposes), not based in Singapore or HK. (different jurisdiction).
- They are not legally obliged to redeem perpetual bonds. If they don't redeem back after on first-call date, you just continue to get 5.125%pa but the company's overal1 credit worthiness will be affected.

Objective: Buy bonds from safe issuers with short maturity. When property and market crashes 2-3 years later, switch from the matured bonds at 100% par to grab the bargains.

I is difficult to find such a good catch (safe company with 5% yield) with short maturity (2 years). Please note that RUN is not a professional or uni grad, therefore please seek your RM's advice on the underlying risks. That's all I know.

Please support our community. I hardly can find any place such so many locals anymore.

Latest price about 98.6

Mr Lee sells more assets for cash.

Li Ka-shing to sell Shanghai property assets worth HK$6 billion
Cheung Kong firms to sell Shanghai holdings worth up to HK$6b, bringing mainland and HK divestments in the past year to about HK$25b
http://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/1572201/hutchison-disposal-confirms-li-land-bias

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal

Note: Perpetual bonds or preference shares can be risky if they are not from your local banks or super good local blue-chips.

Five out of the seven listed Chinese companies that have sold perpetuals this year had negative cash flow in 2013, Bloomberg-compiled data show. If perpetuals were to help companies access funds at lower costs, that would be a good reason to use them, according to Franklin Templeton’s Cryer. Issuing them to manage debt ratios would be the “wrong reason,” he said.

“My concern is that more companies fall into the latter category rather than the former,” Cryer said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...rt-to-curb-14-trillion-debt-china-credit.html

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal

Read online he sold china but bought london.
Sorry didnt keep the link.

brother, I told u I have been buying the J counter below 5 cents. My info was correct; last night they announced that they were no longer losing money and slightly profitable in last quarter. But then the counter never moved wor. hahaha, so i am not always so lucky. i wasted 1 whole month ambushing the right counter but never rally.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

brother, I told u I have been buying the J counter below 5 cents. My info was correct; last night they announced that they were no longer losing money and slightly profitable in last quarter. But then the counter never moved wor. hahaha, so i am not always so lucky. i wasted 1 whole month ambushing the right counter but never rally.

Ah Run, what is this J counter?. Penny stock?.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Liquidity rules to lift Singapore bonds

New liquidity requirements for banks in Singapore are set to drive demand for high-rated corporate and mortgage-backed bonds after the city’s regulator widened its definition of liquid assets.

From January 1, the city’s biggest banks must hold enough liquid Singapore dollar assets, including cash and government bonds, to fund a month of local currency liabilities. Foreign banks and smaller local lenders will need to meet the requirement a year later.

http://www.ifrasia.com/liquidity-rules-to-lift-singapore-bonds/21160104.article

some thoughts: unless the stock market big crash or US interest rates big cheong in 2015, looks like it is difficult to buy 4-5% new bonds from our 3 local banks

Last edited: