• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Simple Solution to Singapore Traffic Congestion - The Ripple Effect

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like poor driving skills and bad practices are the general consensus. Its time to have a proper campaign rather than the token best driver campaign.

At different level I wonder if this is symptomatic of our society the way that it has evolved - to each his own, survival of the fittest etc rather than beein civic minded and keen to build a proper caring society.

Interesting, Singapore has the world's toughest and expensive regime to acquire a driving licence and the end result is this.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting, Singapore has the world's toughest and expensive
regime to acquire a driving license and the end result is this.

It's also saying since we got the most expensive priced cars
in the world yet we got lousy drivers .

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
own a manual transmission car till end of may. so i dont agree that manual is slower off the mark at traffic junction. No way can a machine change gear faster than a human. Even the 7 speed DSG gear box is not faster at changing gear than when i drove a manual. In fact, i can be off the mark faster than most in a china made van with a manual gear box. So the main problem is not the type of car but the type of drivers.
while i not adovcating reckless driving but if road hogs are off the roads, i strongly believe the roads will be 50% more smoother. When i say road hogs, i dont mean those big lorries or buses but those bitches driving in their saloons at 40km/hr on the center lane while they are chatting on the hp. What the fark are those TP doing, why there bitches are not haul to courts?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
own a manual transmission car till end of may. so i dont agree that manual is slower off the mark at traffic junction. No way can a machine change gear faster than a human. Even the 7 speed DSG gear box is not faster at changing gear than when i drove a manual. In fact, i can be off the mark faster than most in a china made van with a manual gear box. So the main problem is not the type of car but the type of drivers.
while i not adovcating reckless driving but if road hogs are off the roads, i strongly believe the roads will be 50% more smoother. When i say road hogs, i dont mean those big lorries or buses but those bitches driving in their saloons at 40km/hr on the center lane while they are chatting on the hp. What the fark are those TP doing, why there bitches are not haul to courts?

I don't think anyone is saying manual cars are slower. I do agree with you if done correctly, a manual car gives you more control. I personally enjoy driving a manual car. Its the hassle when you are stuck in a traffic jam that I find driving an automatic more enjoyable. The problem is, driving a manual car well takes more practice and knowledge then an automatic. Whether its manual or automatic, at the end of the day its driver awareness, skills that would make your journey much easier.

Yes, 40km/hr on the right lane in an 80km/hr zone is irritating!

PS: I've heard VW new DSG gearbox actually has been proven to be faster then a manual one.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the 16th june, Orchard Road saw this new ripple effect in action! Ripples of floodwater everywhere! All vehicular traffic gorund to a halt.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PS: I've heard VW new DSG gearbox actually has been proven to be faster then a manual one.

i own one now, that why i dare say manual still faster.:biggrin:

as for hassle to drive manual in traffic, not exactly true as on level ground, just put to netural can rest both legs but in auto must keep right leg on the brake. right leg damn over work. if not for my wife, i would have stuck with manual.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rubbish !

PAP unbridled Ft policy is the problem of the traffic jams.

Will LTA tell the people how many PRs and foreigners are car owners ?

We now know most PAP civil servants can afford to drive.

what measures? as long as PAP continues to kiss the assholes of FTs, traffic jams are also imported !

ERP is just a pain in the ass !

Typical of the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan!Other people were trying to hold a logical conversation here but his followers will come in and whack the PAP with ad hominiem attacks.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
You can engage engine braking in an automatic if you know how to. Know the engine well enough, and lifting, tapping the brakes essentially does the same. Or get one with steptronics and you can just shift the flaps like in F1. :smile:

questions: do the three brake lights light up when you tap the foot brakes in a automatic-transmission mode car?

if it does, then i stand corrected, the engine brake will reduce the ripple effect.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I disagree. The ripple effect will be reduced if they ban manual transmission cars. If all cars are automatic transmission, there will be less delays in moving off once the light turns green.

my dear friend,

we're talking about the ripple effect here, i.e. on a highway or any moving traffic with one moron braking at the front of the row and thus resulting in a major traffic slow down at the back of the queue.

do you even know the subject matter at hand? what delay in moving off at traffic junctions are you talking about? :eek::eek::eek:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

oh bro,

i second your opinions. manual cars are good and it gives better control over fuel efficiency. and of those road hogs... sometimes i wished i could shoot those road hogs. honestly, i thought that a driver is driving on the highway at 90km/h, which is the speed limit on the highway, should have the decency to keep away from lane 1 if there's another vehicle coming from the back. let's keep lane 1 for overtaking and speeds above 120km/h only :p:p:p

and you're right, TP bo cho kang :eek::eek::eek:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Looks like poor driving skills and bad practices are the general consensus. Its time to have a proper campaign rather than the token best driver campaign.

At different level I wonder if this is symptomatic of our society the way that it has evolved - to each his own, survival of the fittest etc rather than beein civic minded and keen to build a proper caring society.

Interesting, Singapore has the world's toughest and expensive regime to acquire a driving licence and the end result is this.

bro,

i noticed that motorist slow down to a crawl like 60km/h from 100km/h on the highway whenever they see the TP by the road shoulder, especially true for motorists traveling in lanes 2 and 3. classic morons :eek::eek::eek:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
questions: do the three brake lights light up when you tap the foot brakes in a automatic-transmission mode car?

if it does, then i stand corrected, the engine brake will reduce the ripple effect.

If you step the brake the three brake lights goes on. I think most "newbie" driver have no idea how to "induce" an engine brake when driving an auto. Its not as simple as downshifting on a manual. Essentially, you have to know at what speed,rpm you are. Even lifting the accelerator or blipping it slightly could engage engine braking.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
If you step the brake the three brake lights goes on. I think most "newbie" driver have no idea how to "induce" an engine brake when driving an auto. Its not as simple as downshifting on a manual. Essentially, you have to know at what speed,rpm you are. Even lifting the accelerator or blipping it slightly could engage engine braking.

LOL... ok, so the driving test for class 3 (automatic transmission mode) should include the driver's ability to "induce" engine brake without the brake lights lighting up. brake light lights up equals immediate failure LOL...

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jams are good - you can spend time listening to oldies on radio like Gold 905 or if you are a younger person, some other channel

Sorry i only know Gold..

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL... ok, so the driving test for class 3 (automatic transmission mode) should include the driver's ability to "induce" engine brake without the brake lights lighting up. brake light lights up equals immediate failure LOL...

I think the point is whether you drive auto or manual, having a better driving skill can make driving enjoyable and useful. Incidentally , I heard Germany has the toughest driving license regime around. X amount of wet weather driving, snow, CPR, change tyre, before you are allows a full license. Probably because the auto bahn has no speed limit where driving skill becomes essential at those speed.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal

The only solution is to increase the price of cars and the price of usage .

This is to prevent idiots on the road who road-hog like their
whole life and life savings evolve round the road .

If the longer they are on the road . The more they will need to pay .

So they will be encourage by a cost factor to driver faster and
not take they bloody sweet time to obstruct other road
commuters by not being a idiot

By your reasoning you mean the COE failed? Also, cars are already pretty expensive here, and as long as you can pay by installments so they are all in all still affordable and hese turtle drivers don't really care.

Jail and caning is better.:biggrin:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i only own a "auto" for less than 30days so not sure how to engine brake with it. but i do notice that as long the foot was lift from the accelerator, the car lose momenterm very fast.

gone the day when manual can just step on the clutch when moving downslope.:biggrin:

i dunno abt germany, i do know finland beri difficult to pass from watching "Top Gear". Dunno did James May tok cock or not when he claim it take 3 years to get a licence in finland. Maybe that why so many F1 driver there despite having a smaller population than singapore.