• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Siglap

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Our first President Yusof bin Ishak stayed at Opera Estates.

Incorrect.... it was President Yusof's youngest brother, Rahim Ishak who lived a few doors away from my Auntie's house along Aida's Street, Opera Estate.

The first MP of Siglap in 1959 was a Malay woman named Madam Sahora and thereafter in 1964, Rahim Ishak took over until his retirement from politics in 1987.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Incorrect.... it was President Yusof's youngest brother, Rahim Ishak who lived a few doors away from my Auntie's house along Aida's Street, Opera Estate.

The first MP of Siglap in 1959 was a Malay woman named Madam Sahora and thereafter in 1964, Rahim Ishak took over until his retirement from politics in 1987.
use to see Rahim Ishak in his daily walk in East Coast ...a soft spoken aristocratic gentleman ..doesn’t fail to greet ...don’t know which year he was living in Siglap ...but in the late 60s he was living some stone throw away from Katong Convent ...if not mistaken St Patrick’s Rd ...I am certain about this as there use to be a police post just outside his house ..think he was a minister then ..this was when Marine Parade was just a jetty and not sea filled with sand yet

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
use to see Rahim Ishak in his daily walk in East Coast ...a soft spoken aristocratic gentleman ..doesn’t fail to greet ...don’t know which year he was living in Siglap ...but in the late 60s he was living some stone throw away from Katong Convent ...if not mistaken St Patrick’s Rd ...I am certain about this as there use to be a police post just outside his house ..think he was a minister then ..this was when Marine Parade was just a jetty and not sea filled with sand yet

Talkg abt st pat school. At East coast rd beside the sch its a residential lot....kampong style house. Tink tere r 3 or 4 houses in that lot. All well maintained. I guess Far East eyeing tat lot. Not many such houses left in sinkieland. Love to see such houses..with big trees, coconut trees etc... Land area big. As big as the condo (Sound condo i tink) opp it.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talkg abt st pat school. At East coast rd beside the sch its a residential lot....kampong style house. Tink tere r 3 or 4 houses in that lot. All well maintained. I guess Far East eyeing tat lot. Not many such houses left in sinkieland. Love to see such houses..with big trees, coconut trees etc... Land area big. As big as the condo (Sound condo i tink) opp it.
Oh , yes .. I recall some of them ..East Coast rd or Katong use to be the old millionaires homes ...there use to be the biggest house in that area in Karikal lane or Karikal Rd , it’s an Indian name ,the house was so huge and in old architecture bordering the sea shore ..i use to wonder who lives in such huge huge house ..think it was abandoned ..,only much later I found out it belonged to an Indian Muslim business man who was hanged by the British for the murder of a British....
In the seventies , still road was extended and ran run right through the house and yet on one side turned to be a hotel and the other side retaining the original architecture

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal

President Yusof Ishak did live in Opera Estate but the exact location is not clear. Some say its on upper stretch of Fidelio Street, off the Jalan Khairuddin area. The photo is dated as 1955 but Opera Estate as we know it today was not fully developed yet so I have my doubts about the Jalan Khairuddin version.
https://www.nas.gov.sg/archivesonli...-details/a5edf8d1-1162-11e3-83d5-0050568939ad

His Widow, Puan Nor Aishah still lives nearby in the Jalan Keris area (site of the former Cathay studios).

I remember Rahim Ishak as an MP back when Siglap was Siglap and not part of some GRC or Joo Chiat SMC. Didn't know he lived in Aida Street.

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
This young octogenarian uncle is very happy to see this thread revitalised after 2012!
Been with SammyLeong café for at least two decades and have stopped being active due to lack of good chaps whose knowledge and comments that I valued. I see a few reappearing here now to my happiness.
A couple of tit-bits to start off if there are young guys interested:
1 The laksa stall opposite former Lau Arcadia near the church is a branch of 328 (main in CeylonRoad). This is a third copy of original Katong Laksa which was started at the opposite coffee in Ceylon Road. The original was started by "old man Jangut" who plied around the Joo Chiat/Katong areas in the early fifties! Two heavy pots of stuff supported by bamboo hanging from his shoulders. More on the development of "katong laksa" if interested. Don't forget Roxy laksa too.
2 The cafe in Jackie's Bowl Siglap is now still the "Different Taste" restaurant in Frankel Avenue with the original owners active!
Cheers!

The standard of food @ Different Taste dropped quite a bit a few years back. Stopped patronizing them for a while. With the CB, ordered takeaway and it has improved. Restaurants are so affected by the change in chefs. Not all are good or consistent.

tanahcow

Alfrescian
Loyal
President Yusof Ishak did live in Opera Estate but the exact location is not clear. Some say its on upper stretch of Fidelio Street, off the Jalan Khairuddin area. The photo is dated as 1955 but Opera Estate as we know it today was not fully developed yet so I have my doubts about the Jalan Khairuddin version.
https://www.nas.gov.sg/archivesonli...-details/a5edf8d1-1162-11e3-83d5-0050568939ad

His Widow, Puan Nor Aishah still lives nearby in the Jalan Keris area (site of the former Cathay studios).

I remember Rahim Ishak as an MP back when Siglap was Siglap and not part of some GRC or Joo Chiat SMC. Didn't know he lived in Aida Street.

After Mr. Yusof was elected President, they lived in Sri Melati (Jasmine), a small bungalow inside Istana.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

there were a few old bungalows at the corner of felatio, oops fidelio, and jln khairuddin on the way up to red cross campsite. i counted 3 old ones that were barely renovated. their simple one storey architecture suggest they were built in the late 40s or early 50s. the one facing the bus stop on felatio, oops fidelio, has just been repainted white with black trimmings. it is the perfect tropical bungalow surrounded by a lawn. contrary to what sinkies refer to as a “bungalow” or “good class bungalow” (gcb) for a standalone landed house, a true bungalow is actually only one storey high. anyway, it seems like these 3 bungalows at that corner are preserved by the owners with their old style simple humble architecture while the homes around them have becum monster obiang homes with 3.69 storeys, 6.9 rooms, and up to 6.9k sqf in internal flooring space. constant remodeling and construction going on along felatio, oops fidelio. many tiny single storey terrace homes down the road are still sandwiched by atrocious looking towering cathedral townhomes but slowly and surely they too will grow up just as tall. didn’t know there’s so much history in that part of siglap. that sizable felatio, oops fidelio, triangular turn with a grove of trees and plants from siglap resembles a hairy bushy twat. everytime you enter and exit imagine that you are navigating a giant cb.
E6C60E96-BAEB-4568-A1D9-465B9F18541F.jpeg

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Puan Aishah still alive? Wow. She was the object of lust for Othman Wok. After Yusof Ishak died, Othman the horny bastard pursue her, and wanted to add her to his tally of allowed wives. She got so pissed she went to old fart's office to complain. old fart called in othman, sacked him and made him ambassador to indonesia. they spun it as a resignation. little known story.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://images.app.goo.gl/UmjGc8Su7H2XBF977

this is another gentleman i use to see quite regularly in east coast rd area ...Gerald De Cruz ,always seen carrying a book ...use to think he was a teacher....only much later i came to know him as of communist leaning and in the company and league of lim yew hock ,David Marshall, Lee Kuan yew and such

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Puan Aishah still alive? Wow. She was the object of lust for Othman Wok. After Yusof Ishak died, Othman the horny bastard pursue her, and wanted to add her to his tally of allowed wives. She got so pissed she went to old fart's office to complain. old fart called in othman, sacked him and made him ambassador to indonesia. they spun it as a resignation. little known story.

Othman Wok lived out his last days in Carmen Street. Always with a smile and wave when he was still able to be out & about. Didn't know he had the hots for Puan Aishah

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am East Coast boy, so I know this area very well. Alot has changed. Frankel Avenue runs through it, and every Siglap resident has eaten at Dawood one time or another. Still got kopitiam around there, but Dawood is gone.
Kopitiam is still there, now run by China Man, got one twin sisters working there.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
https://images.app.goo.gl/UmjGc8Su7H2XBF977

this is another gentleman i use to see quite regularly in east coast rd area ...Gerald De Cruz ,always seen carrying a book ...use to think he was a teacher....only much later i came to know him as of communist leaning and in the company and league of lim yew hock ,David Marshall, Lee Kuan yew and such

East coast swarming with gragos, all going to St Pats

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am East Coast boy, so I know this area very well. Alot has changed. Frankel Avenue runs through it, and every Siglap resident has eaten at Dawood one time or another. Still got kopitiam around there, but Dawood is gone.

Those houses (single storey) just beside st pat sch at east coast rd. Love the sight of such houses...surrounded with coconut trees..moringa tree...etc. Any idea who own tat land? Just curious.