• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Senior SQ Exec resigns, fallout from RR Engine fiasco?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
looks like you can't tell the difference between SIA and the civil service. nvm, not surprising

You can be backbencher MP without the need to resign from your SIA or private company job because MP is not expected to be FULL TIME.

But when you are taking up a ministerial post, everybody will expect you to be a FULL TIME minister because you are paid millions in a year! Thus, whether you are from SIA or civil service, you will have to resign from your job to take up ministerial position.

Goh Meng Seng

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is definitely a loophole in every system. Our scholarship scheme is no exception. I can't deny the fact that it has served us well in the past, giving a chance to the potentials who may not able to attain great heights because of their poor background. We did nuture quite a few talents who contributed well to the country. However, the system begins to show its flaws. It still serve its original purpose but it gets to a point that people gets the scholarships for the prestige rather than wanting to serve the greater cause. Yes, you may say what does a 18, 19 year old knows? That's why the system should adapt. If imperial exam is not longer viable, we should find something to replace it. Maybe it could be modified to not just include the academically strong but also to people who show strong qualities in other areas. I dunno. I wish I have the answer. But I am not smart enough to think of great policies.

When were the top scholarships never prestigious? They have always been, and it's not just a recent phenomenon. Unfortunately, if you want to attract the best and the brightest who can have their pick of jobs, you need to attract them with something. Money talks. Prestige talks too, at least for a while. Especially in Singapore Inc. There's no real sense of pride among citizens for this numbers-driven nation anymore, but we still need to have a good government. If we rely on "passion" and "wanting to serve the greater cause" Singapore will be a headless chicken.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can be backbencher MP without the need to resign from your SIA or private company job because MP is not expected to be FULL TIME.

But when you are taking up a ministerial post, everybody will expect you to be a FULL TIME minister because you are paid millions in a year! Thus, whether you are from SIA or civil service, you will have to resign from your job to take up ministerial position.

Goh Meng Seng

Indeed I misread your post, my apologies. But really, if he were taking up ministerial post our brothel wouldn't be highlighting the fact that he got passed over for promotion.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot of high flyers resign of late. Don't forget the NTU principal too....are they all eyeing for the upcoming president? Any news of Tan Kin Lian taking up the challenge for the sake of Singaporeans? I don't trust PAP appointed president. If everyone ended up like Nahan, it spells another loss of billion dollars reserve right under our nose again. Prataman, unlike the late OTC, is not a good president for check and balances.

Tan Kin Lian spent too long in the system. He still have this "Bao Chia" mentality. He wants 100,000 signatures before standing for elections.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Goh Meng Seng

You are stating the very obvious, especially your 2nd paragraph. Only a moron will think we have part-time ministers.

I hope you are not suspecting Bey SK to run during this GE. Firstly, Bey's age is not a plus factor. MIW talking about injecting younger generation not those in the 50s. Secondly, given all his 'protection' and 'privileges', Bey failed to make it in SIA. What makes you think he will succeed in the political arena?

jw5

Loyal
You are stating the very obvious, especially your 2nd paragraph. Only a moron will think we have part-time ministers.

I hope you are not suspecting Bey SK to run during this GE. Firstly, Bey's age is not a plus factor. MIW talking about injecting younger generation not those in the 50s. Secondly, given all his 'protection' and 'privileges', Bey failed to make it in SIA. What makes you think he will succeed in the political arena?
It's not just the ministars. The ministars of state and the parliamentary secretaries are also full time appointment holders. So are the mayors.

And he won't be running in the GE as a pap candidate. The ST has already stated that his former subordinate who is 8 years younger than him, was appointed as the CEO.
Perhaps the opposition parties may want to recruit him? :o

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal

Apologies, GMS had to educate me and everyone else about how it might be hard for someone to run both a ministry and an SIA division.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's not just the ministars. The ministars of state and the parliamentary secretaries are also full time appointment holders. So are the mayors.

And he won't be running in the GE as a pap candidate. The ST has already stated that his former subordinate who is 8 years younger than him, was appointed as the CEO.
Perhaps the opposition parties may want to recruit him? :o

Bey may not have made it outside the SAF but I think he is intelligent enough to avoid joining the Opposition. Also, he has more to lose by changing camp. If he quiet quiet lead his life, still exists a possibilty he may be parachuted to a govt linked entity. Having sponsored his studies and having paved his career in the SAF and SIA, Bey will remain a beneficiary of the system.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just wonder how he got made CDF in the first place, if he were indeed so horrible? Even if they had to choose a scholar, surely there were others.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I just wonder how he got made CDF in the first place, if he were indeed so horrible? Even if they had to choose a scholar, surely there were others.

True, true. What's more scary are those below him! If he was made CDF and others by-passed, those by-passed must be worse than him. After all the SAF this and that, now we know the truth - SAF is just wayang.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Agree. He has to go. Respect him for that unlike others who will cling on die die. But, if he can't qualify to head SIA, how did he lead the SAF in the past? SAF is not a small outfit. Can only conclude that when it comes to the real world, it's $ & cents. SAF can wayang - it's ok.

Seriously, none of these PAP lackeys are qualified to head anything. Do you really think that gay Loong, a maths degree holder is qualified to head MAS? Or that Hsien Yang is qualified to head Singtel? Being posted to SQ to earn big salary is just reward for having to be retired from the SAF.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Strange resume to become EVP of Marketing. 26 Years at SAF - EVP technical - nothing marketing like in experience. OK he may be an aeronautical engineer at RSAF which makes him good a managing the technical staff but Marketing??

PAP is full of strange resumes mah. Going back to Goh Keng Swee, a brand new econs grad can be Minister of Defence, Gay Loong can be head of MAS, Hseing Yang can be head of SIngtel, Ho Jinx running a weapons company can suddenly become an investment fund manager, etc. That is why this place is so fucked. People are in positions that they are not qualifed for, and screwing up.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Agree. He has to go. Respect him for that unlike others who will cling on die die. But, if he can't qualify to head SIA, how did he lead the SAF in the past? SAF is not a small outfit. Can only conclude that when it comes to the real world, it's $ & cents. SAF can wayang - it's ok.

GLCs have varying degree of tolerance to failure. the more public and competitive their industry is, the less tolerant they are. SQ which is in a very competitive industry with worldwide economic forces has very little tolerance. Temasek on the other hand which competes with no one has lots of tolerance for failure. Its a question of accountability.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
He was chief of defence force in SAF when he was removed and sent to SIA to head engineering. That is a clear sign of demotion. He had a problem of controlling his wife and therefore his security clearance was taken away. Early this year they had to promote a promising junior so they created a new post and rank just for him. The people below him responsible for marketing and coporate affairs report to him dotted line and straight to CEO. That should tell you a lot. He also did not make the cut for CEO despite going thru the exercise.

How does one become Minister with that kind of background. The press was kind enough not mention that he chief of defence forces for 5 years before being demoted.

[Qt UOTE=lockeliberal;608480]Deav Johnny

Minister at the next GE, I heard good things about him at SIA

Locke
[/QUOTE]

I am sorry, I am having a tough time buying this. He lost his security clearance because he could not control his wife? Are u kidding me? I know SAF Officers that got hanta kaki because they have a foreign born wife, but that was years ago. I know many of these senior officers are chionging like crazy, they can't control themselves. If U want to remove someone's security clearance, failure to control the wife would be the worse possible reason. Failure to control one's lancheow is a better reason. No one wants a senior officer to screw hookers and what not on a regular basis or to keep a mistress. As for juniors being promoted before him, why is that so surprising? This clown has been a career military guy, what does he know about marketing and corporate affairs? There are plenty of guys out there with 10 years plus in this field,a nd I would think they are more qualified than him. He got his position at SQ not by being qualified to run SIA Cargo or the marketing/corporate portfolio. It was political, so he can only be removed by a bigger political fish. Nothing to do with how qualifed he was for his duties, we already know he is not.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
He took over from Ng Jui Ping and those who become CDF cannot go below CEO Stat Board in a transfer. When he was sent to Engineering in SIA , a non leadership post, the signal was very clear. The person who succeeded him went on to become Perm Sec for the next posting.

Really sad story.
[/QUOTE]

U feel sad for this guy? Are you shitting me? This guy already put in his time at the SAF, just take retirement at LG rank, and play golf. Instead, take a huge salary for a job he is not qualified for, and try to fake his way for a couple of years? I don't feel sad for these idiots.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Another example of a failed scholar - SAF. Goes to prove not all scholars are effective. If not capable in the civil service, sure can't make it in the private sector. Knowing how shielded and protected this breed of scholars are, it is a big, big blow. PSC selection process failed.[/QUOTE]

Well there are scholars and there are scholars. There are the scholars that can become general rank from recruit rank in 10 years or less, half of which is spend in a uni. Than there are people who really cannot afford an education, got a SAF scholarship, and than made a career in the SAF for 20 years. That's him. [COLOR]

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
you dont have to know how to shoot with a rifle before you can become defence minsiter.
winston churchill wasnt a brilliant soldier but he did win the battle of britain

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apologies, GMS had to educate me and everyone else about how it might be hard for someone to run both a ministry and an SIA division.

If able, go for the challenge - run an SIA division. If only so-so, buy insurance - run a ministry. In the latter, information is on need-to-know basis. You can hide what is ugly and show only the pretty. In the case of the former, where the bottomline is $ & cents, you can't hide.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
WC was a terible rear admiral, and a fiasco as a War PM. You shld read more widely. He made all the wrong decisions on Germany, Russia and WW2. The world owes him a big debt for the truimph of Soviet Communism and the entry of Jap into the WW2, the fall of singapore, the sook ching massacre etc.

you dont have to know how to shoot with a rifle before you can become defence minsiter.
winston churchill wasnt a brilliant soldier but he did win the battle of britain