• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Senior SQ Exec resigns, fallout from RR Engine fiasco?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He was chief of defence force in SAF when he was removed and sent to SIA to head engineering. That is a clear sign of demotion. He had a problem of controlling his wife and therefore his security clearance was taken away. Early this year they had to promote a promising junior so they created a new post and rank just for him. The people below him responsible for marketing and coporate affairs report to him dotted line and straight to CEO. That should tell you a lot. He also did not make the cut for CEO despite going thru the exercise.

How does one become Minister with that kind of background. The press was kind enough not mention that he chief of defence forces for 5 years before being demoted.

[Qt UOTE=lockeliberal;608480]Deav Johnny

Minister at the next GE, I heard good things about him at SIA

Locke[/QUOTE]

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
No, he was LG. Not BG. But yes,an SAF scholar winner. He was in RSAF/SAF for 20 years. Of course, carryon with PAP policy, favourite pets are never retired, just recycled to GLCs to continuing earning fat pay checks at taxpayers expense.

I see. Was he the Chief of Army or Chief of Airforce? During my time in army, I heard about him being the high flyer slated to be the Chief.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Thanks Scroobal. That was what I remembered, Chief of something in SAF.

I did hear a bit about him.

Goh Meng Seng

He was chief of defence force in SAF when he was removed and sent to SIA to head engineering. That is a clear sign of demotion. He had a problem of controlling his wife and therefore his security clearance was taken away. Early this year they had to promote a promising junior so they created a new post and rank just for him. The people below him responsible for marketing and coporate affairs report to him dotted line and straight to CEO. That should tell you a lot. He also did not make the cut for CEO despite going thru the exercise.

How does one become Minister with that kind of background. The press was kind enough not mention that he chief of defence forces for 5 years before being demoted.

[Qt UOTE=lockeliberal;608480]Deav Johnny

Minister at the next GE, I heard good things about him at SIA

Locke
[/QUOTE]

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He took over from Ng Jui Ping and those who become CDF cannot go below CEO Stat Board in a transfer. When he was sent to Engineering in SIA , a non leadership post, the signal was very clear. The person who succeeded him went on to become Perm Sec for the next posting.

Really sad story.

Thanks Scroobal. That was what I remembered, Chief of something in SAF.

I did hear a bit about him.

Goh Meng Seng
[/QUOTE]

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He took over from Ng Jui Ping and those who become CDF cannot go below CEO Stat Board in a transfer. When he was sent to Engineering in SIA , a non leadership post, the signal was very clear. The person who succeeded him went on to become Perm Sec for the next posting.

Really sad story.
[/QUOTE]

Another example of a failed scholar - SAF. Goes to prove not all scholars are effective. If not capable in the civil service, sure can't make it in the private sector. Knowing how shielded and protected this breed of scholars are, it is a big, big blow. PSC selection process failed.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Really sad story.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, I was making quite a lot noise about the lopsided focus of the Army back in the early 1990s to my CO then. I think Bey was the one in charge of logistics (G4) or Chief of Army back then. I may be wrong but somehow his name popped up. I was told he would be the one taking over as the top post in the army, Chief of Defence, from Winston Choo. Young high flyer I guess.

Goh Meng Seng

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Actually, I was making quite a lot noise about the lopsided focus of the Army back in the early 1990s to my CO then. I think Bey was the one in charge of logistics (G4) or Chief of Army back then. I may be wrong but somehow his name popped up. I was told he would be the one taking over as the top post in the army, Chief of Defence, from Winston Chew. Young high flyer I guess.

Goh Meng Seng[/QUOTE]

Winston CHOO not Chew. You sure you were captain before?

VeryWise

Alfrescian
Loyal
He was Chief of Defence Force when I was in NS. There was another high-flyer in that era, BG Yam Ma Mee. I cannot remember who left the service earlier but I think BG Yam is doing better at LTA.

In any case, when I graduated and started working in a small local company servicing SIA, I had the chance to have kopi chat with "small fries" on the ground. When BG Bey was transferred to SIA, he was sort of earmarked to take over from Dr Cheong to be on the helm. However, maybe too long in SAF, he ruled his department like an army outfit and the ground ppl generally dun like him. He never get the chance to prove himself or simply dun have the capability to run a commercial outfit. He was soon overlooked and not considered for the top post in SIA. In fact, he was never popular in the company. I was surprised he could survive till now. Nonetheless, all the best to him. He should have made enough for retirement.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Actually, I was making quite a lot noise about the lopsided focus of the Army back in the early 1990s to my CO then. I think Bey was the one in charge of logistics (G4) or Chief of Army back then. I may be wrong but somehow his name popped up. I was told he would be the one taking over as the top post in the army, Chief of Defence, from Winston Chew. Young high flyer I guess.

Goh Meng Seng

Winston CHOO not Chew. You sure you were captain before?[/QUOTE]

My apology. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
In any case, when I graduated and started working in a small local company servicing SIA, I had the chance to have kopi chat with "small fries" on the ground. When BG Bey was transferred to SIA, he was sort of earmarked to take over from Dr Cheong to be on the helm. However, maybe too long in SAF, he ruled his department like an army outfit and the ground ppl generally dun like him. He never get the chance to prove himself or simply dun have the capability to run a commercial outfit. He was soon overlooked and not considered for the top post in SIA. In fact, he was never popular in the company. I was surprised he could survive till now. Nonetheless, all the best to him. He should have made enough for retirement.

Well, I was telling someone earlier, it was due to the differences in corporate culture between the Army and SIA.

Goh Meng Seng

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
"In any case, when I graduated and started working in a small local company servicing SIA, I had the chance to have kopi chat with "small fries" on the ground. When BG Bey was transferred to SIA, he was sort of earmarked to take over from Dr Cheong to be on the helm. However, maybe too long in SAF, he ruled his department like an army outfit and the ground ppl generally dun like him. He never get the chance to prove himself or simply dun have the capability to run a commercial outfit. He was soon overlooked and not considered for the top post in SIA. In fact, he was never popular in the company. I was surprised he could survive till now. Nonetheless, all the best to him. He should have made enough for retirement."

Yr story immediately remind me about Col.Gan,ACGS,ex-ACS,president scholar,at one time ,he was the poster boy for SAF recruitment drive.

He left to Join GEC,UK as director,in exactly the same reasons as u speculated for Bey,but GEC was not a GLC,he was given walking ticket,left immediately.

His wife was a GP,he hanged around as Clinics Manager,some years later,he got a chance to join Times Publishing as a Director,I do not know subseguently.

I hope PAP's decision makers do learn that not all SAF scholars are fated to be successful in commerce.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing to do with corporate culture. SIA Management knew his background and the reason for his demotion / departure. He was housed in SIA, a situation all GLC would have to play as part of their national duty one time or another. They could not post him to Singapore Technoloogies which is the other large entity that has engineering as he lost his security clearence.

He is in fact a nice guy and he was not running Engineering as it was the army. Far from it.

People seem to generally assume that all army, civil servants etc can't fit into the corporate world.

If he was leadership material, he would have been given a leadership position in SIA in the first place. And he was not there to replace Dr Choong.

Well, I was telling someone earlier, it was due to the differences in corporate culture between the Army and SIA.

Goh Meng Seng

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Goh Meng Seng

I have to disagree with you, Mr Goh Meng Seng. Corporate culture between Army and SIA? If you have it, you have it. If you don't, anywhere and everywhere you go, can't make it.

Surely Bey can adapt. He was given sufficient time to adjust. It is not something difficult adapting to another corporate culture. If such a simple task have difficulties, need we say more?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Absolutely agree.
I have to disagree with you, Mr Goh Meng Seng. Corporate culture between Army and SIA? If you have it, you have it. If you don't, anywhere and everywhere you go, can't make it.

Surely Bey can adapt. He was given sufficient time to adjust. It is not something difficult adapting to another corporate culture. If such a simple task have difficulties, need we say more?

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Many people have this skills for many years and they move up the corporate ladder; but for some reason, some of them seems to have "times up" and lose their skill.
I never did have this skill at all.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal

Another example of a failed scholar - SAF. Goes to prove not all scholars are effective. If not capable in the civil service, sure can't make it in the private sector. Knowing how shielded and protected this breed of scholars are, it is a big, big blow. PSC selection process failed.[/QUOTE]

The selection process is not perfect, and there'll always be those who fall through the cracks. But it is a good system so far. How else would you have them do it? As much as you may want to criticise the political leaders, do distinguish them from the civil service.

VeryWise

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is definitely a loophole in every system. Our scholarship scheme is no exception. I can't deny the fact that it has served us well in the past, giving a chance to the potentials who may not able to attain great heights because of their poor background. We did nuture quite a few talents who contributed well to the country. However, the system begins to show its flaws. It still serve its original purpose but it gets to a point that people gets the scholarships for the prestige rather than wanting to serve the greater cause. Yes, you may say what does a 18, 19 year old knows? That's why the system should adapt. If imperial exam is not longer viable, we should find something to replace it. Maybe it could be modified to not just include the academically strong but also to people who show strong qualities in other areas. I dunno. I wish I have the answer. But I am not smart enough to think of great policies.

Another example of a failed scholar - SAF. Goes to prove not all scholars are effective. If not capable in the civil service, sure can't make it in the private sector. Knowing how shielded and protected this breed of scholars are, it is a big, big blow. PSC selection process failed.

The selection process is not perfect, and there'll always be those who fall through the cracks. But it is a good system so far. How else would you have them do it? As much as you may want to criticise the political leaders, do distinguish them from the civil service.[/QUOTE]

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A lot of high flyers resign of late. Don't forget the NTU principal too....are they all eyeing for the upcoming president? Any news of Tan Kin Lian taking up the challenge for the sake of Singaporeans? I don't trust PAP appointed president. If everyone ended up like Nahan, it spells another loss of billion dollars reserve right under our nose again. Prataman, unlike the late OTC, is not a good president for check and balances.