• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

remember these places ?

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There was also the Cameron Hotel at Harvey Close in Simei.

If I not mistaken, Cameron Hotel still alive and well..:biggrin: Its a favourite accomodation for those Ang Moh oil rig chaps from Loyang Offshore.. Convenient also for those nearby ITE students to have some 'ECA activities' after school hours..:biggrin:

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I not mistaken, Cameron Hotel still alive and well..:biggrin: Its a favourite accomodation for those Ang Moh oil rig chaps from Loyang Offshore.. Convenient also for those nearby ITE students to have some 'ECA activities' after school hours..:biggrin:

Hmm...like Johnny Walker, 90 years old still going strong. I suppose the one at Still Road corner of Koon Seng Road is already gone? It has Chinese name if I recall correctly.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Empress place hawker centre also no more liao.. I remember as a schoolboy having supper there during the 80s and mid 90s.. Recently drove to Katong.. All pubs located at Paramount Hotel also no more liao..

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow! Nice thread of old places. Other than the lsb, think very few can survive now cos' no longer popular. The other favorite place is clifford pier, or known as red latern (ang teng). Many WLs there are those kena caught and awaiting to repatriate. But they are legal under AV.

The wat tan hor (hor fun) Also very good at one time becos' of one good chew hu kia cook. I introduce to many friends and they agree but unfortunately, he return to seremban after shot gun.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Talking about old cinema, my parents used to bring me to watch movies at the old cinema beside Wing Tai building at kovan/hougang. Still remembered the ticket were those pink or blue type of soft paper and we would buy kachang puteh and dry cuttlefish. Cinema ticket then was $3 I think. That was around year 1987. We had just moved from the village at Lentor to hougang.

That the old "sian gong" (deity palace) cinema. We don't call kovan then but "lurk gor" (sixth mile point). There another cinema near USSC, "kwok hwa". The last time I been to sian gong it only $2.50 and must stand for the national anthem b4 the start of the show.

Since u go marina for steamboat, what about canto?

Why nobody mention kallang leisure? Famous for lsb and R rated movie then go over to Octagon to makan.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ancient Play Ground For Sinkies

Great World, Gay World and Golden Million comes to mind. There was that Crazy Horse Saloon too.

Golden Million ? Wah ! What's that ? Heard of Great World City and Gay World but not this one.

I was searching for ancient parks in SInkiesland which were similar to the old 80s or 90s Haw Par Villa one to the more recent one like the demised White Sand's Downtown East. Aiyo ! So sad. :(

And then, I found this one in black and white. Guess which part of Sinkiesland ?

ovaltine-300x200.jpg
images

541567341_caeb9f2515.jpg

wonderland-1969.jpg

ltl1984.jpg

img_4728.jpg
Greatworldold.jpg

427609514_ad791107e9.jpg

2028057726_b4119855f0.jpg

New World ? So, I guess old Sinkiesland is never boring.

New World Park was the first of three amusement parks (or the three "worlds") that wooed Singapore night crowds from the 1920s to the 1960s. Set up in 1923 and located at Jalan Besar, it closed down in 1987. Today, the site where the park sat is being developed by City Developments for its City Square project, comprising a public park, a condominium, a large shopping mall. The park, which is to be completed in 2009, will feature the original gate to the former New World Park.

History

In 1923, Ong Boon Tat and Ong Peng Hock set up New World Park, the first of the three amusement parks that coloured Singapore's night life from the 1920s to the 1960s. New World was located at Jalan Besar, bounded by Serangoon Road, Kitchener Road and Whampoa River. The park was sold to Shaw Brothers which acquired a 50-percent interest.

During the Japanese Occupation, New World was renamed Shin Segal and turned into a gambling farm opened only to civilians but not Japanese soldiers.

New World closed in 1987 when Shaw Organisation sold the freehold site to City Developments. Work to build a condominium and an eight-storey mall on the site was planned to start in late 2004.

Description

New World was famous for its cabarets, Chinese and Malay opera halls, shops, restaurants, open-air cinemas, boxing arenas, and shooting galleries. When the park first opened, the Ong brothers hired travelling vaudeville-style troupes from China as a regular draw. New World's cabarets were so raved about that it was said to have occasionally wooed the late Sultan Ibrahim of Johor and his large entourage. Men would pay a dollar to dance three foxtrots or waltzes with cheogsam-clad taxi-dancers. New World was also the place where Sakura Teng, a well-known 1970s Malaysian songbird, launched her music career at age 17.

Malay men were drawn to New World by Bunga Tanjong which hosted bands playing Malay tunes to the beat of ronggeng or asli interspersed with cha-cha or rumba. On some nights, they would also threw in the twist and the rock 'n roll. Men could buy a 50 cent ticket for a dance with the ladies. The early birds would secure the best dancers or their favourite ones and also got seats nearest to the dancing girls. On some nights Bunga Tanjong could pack up to 500 people. The popularity of Bunga Tanjong inspired acclaimed playwright A.Samad Said to write a well-received play on the life of a cabaret girl, entitled Lantai T. Pinkie (T. Pinkie's floor).

Four artistes or athletes were household names in New World; striptease queen Rose Chan, wrestler King Kong, strongman Ali Ahmad (better known as Mat Tarzan) and boxer Felix Boy. Rose Chan and King Kong were controversial for their stunts; the former wrestled pythons during her shows while the latter, a Hungarian-born giant whose real name was Emile Czaya, once ate a whole goat to promote his fight.

Closure

New World faded from the night scene after the 1960s, a fate that affected the other two "worlds" - Great World and Gay World. In April 1987, City Developments bought New World's 42,252.1 sq m site from Shaw Organisation for S$35 million. The major development on this site is the City Square Residences condominium.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Ancient Play Ground For Sinkies

StarLight Cinema at Pasir Panjang? ; where screenings of Indians movies were the norm, but the waLLs and fLoors were aLL spLattered red, due the the chewings of the sireh, and spitted onto them ~..
:eek:

youth123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Holland V EW open air cinema.jpg
There use to have a cinema at holland village cost of tickets is 30 cents. Any idea? :biggrin:
if its raining we will need to stand at one side to watch :biggrin:

It was an open air cinema under EW Organisation. Now I think it is replaced by that building with the windmill thingie...

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Surprising, I have never been there nor go for any tea dance. Used to hear some of my ah beng classmates say how they got to screw the ah lians there. I was a good boy in my school days :biggrin:

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now still good boy ?:biggrin:

Surprising, I have never been there nor go for any tea dance. Used to hear some of my ah beng classmates say how they got to screw the ah lians there. I was a good boy in my school days :biggrin:

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Ancient Play Ground For Sinkies

Golden Million ? Wah ! What's that ? Heard of Great World City and Gay World but not this one.

I was searching for ancient parks in SInkiesland which were similar to the old 80s or 90s Haw Par Villa one to the more recent one like the demised White Sand's Downtown East. Aiyo ! So sad. :(

And then, I found this one in black and white. Guess which part of Sinkiesland ?
[/COLOR]

Wonderland in Kallang, tio bo?

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That the old "sian gong" (deity palace) cinema. We don't call kovan then but "lurk gor" (sixth mile point). There another cinema near USSC, "kwok hwa". The last time I been to sian gong it only $2.50 and must stand for the national anthem b4 the start of the show.

Why nobody mention kallang leisure? Famous for lsb and R rated movie then go over to Octagon to makan.

There was one Bright cinema at the junction of Yio Chu Kang road and Serangoon road.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jackie Bowl at East Coast Road, beside St. Patrick;s School
Furhter down there was one Ocean Cinema, later converted to Food Court
now also gone.

Last edited: