• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

remember these places ?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Old Kallang

Dakota Crescent is along Old Airport-Guillemard, not Paya Lebar. Yes, it was noisy all the way from Kallang to Kampong Arang area. That was the flight path for taking off and landing in those days, sure noisy with jet engines roaring. I wasn't aware of any accident in those days. Well, I couldn't be knowing everything, could I?

"On 29 Jun 1946, one of the Dakota aircraft belonging to the Royal Air Force Police with 20 NCOs on board crashed at the Airport in a storm with no survivors. The nearby road Dakota Crescent and the subway station Dakota Station are named in commemoration of this disaster" from wikipedia

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Where Is It ?

The Beatles, were innovators, daring, & talented, a class of their own, but the rest, are not second rund either.

Perfectly reasonable. The only reason why I consider Beatles upper rung is because of innovation and creativity breaking new grounds. The best album ever in rock history I'd vote for isn't by Beatles, it's Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd. After the Beatles breakup, Pink Floyd rented the Abbey Road studio and hired practically the entire Beatles studio crew to do it. Of course, they must have the songwriting, lyrical and musical skills themselves to begin with first. But it was made easier with the Beatles breakthrough. After some easy listening country rock, Eagles attempted an Abbey Road / Dark Side Of The Moon style concept album, Hotel California, successfully and well done too. But a few years after the peak of that success, they broke up too. Ringo Starr wasn't as mediocre as you portrayed, he managed to hit the top of the charts on his own even after the Beatles breakup, just not as prolific as Lennon, McCartney and Harrison. He was simply overshadowed. Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin were in leagues of their own. They didn't care what else is going on around them and stuck to their own styles of blues fusion. You'll always find Satisfaction and Stairway To Heaven among top ten of all-time great rock songs nominated by rock connosieurs.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Perfectly reasonable. The only reason why I consider Beatles upper rung is because of innovation and creativity breaking new grounds. The best album ever in rock history I'd vote for isn't by Beatles, it's Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd. After the Beatles breakup, Pink Floyd rented the Abbey Road studio and hired practically the entire Beatles studio crew to do it. Of course, they must have the songwriting, lyrical and musical skills themselves to begin with first. But it was made easier with the Beatles breakthrough. After some easy listening country rock, Eagles attempted an Abbey Road / Dark Side Of The Moon style concept album, Hotel California, successfully and well done too. But a few years after the peak of that success, they broke up too. Ringo Starr wasn't as mediocre as you portrayed, he managed to hit the top of the charts on his own even after the Beatles breakup, just not as prolific as Lennon, McCartney and Harrison. He was simply overshadowed. Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin were in leagues of their own. They didn't care what else is going on around them and stuck to their own styles of blues fusion. You'll always find Satisfaction and Stairway To Heaven among top ten of all-time great rock songs nominated by rock connosieurs.

Ahh!, Ringo Starr, had few chances with The Beatles, for it was always, Lennon-McCartney, the few songs he sund, would be, "act naturally" and his own "Octopus Garden", we remember him by. His solo output?, "Back Off Bagaloo".."It Don't come easy" and for me his most memorable album would be, "Ringo". I am not a fan of Pink Floyd, so I can't comment much.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ahh!, Ringo Starr, had few chances with The Beatles, for it was always, Lennon-McCartney, the few songs he sund, would be, "act naturally" and his own "Octopus Garden", we remember him by. His solo output?, "Back Off Bagaloo".."It Don't come easy" and for me his most memorable album would be, "Ringo". I am not a fan of Pink Floyd, so I can't comment much.

There were also You're Sixteen, Photograph etc. that topped the charts for Ringo Starr. Among band drummers, Ringo started the elite class.Even by stage presence, his trademark The Beatles logo drum kit was iconic. The two other drummers who made it were Don Henley (Eagles) and Phil Collins (Genesis). The best drummer IMHO was Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac, cool mix between classic and modern sound. However, he's not much of a singer-songwriter or soloist.

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Kallang Ice World

Does anyone remember the limited bowling lanes at Hyatt Hotel? I bowled there back then, when Jackie Bowl was too crowded. Jurong Bowl at Taman Jurong? Used to like bowling, but gave up the game.

Thanks for mentioning Hyatt. You just confirmed my memory still ok.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C

Ringo's ' it dont come easy' is the one i like best from him.

There were also You're Sixteen, Photograph etc. that topped the charts for Ringo Starr. Among band drummers, Ringo started the elite class.Even by stage presence, his trademark The Beatles logo drum kit was iconic.

ablekid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Parisilk was at Transit Road ( correct?) outside Nee Soon Camp, those who did their NS at Nee Soon Camp & the old School of Signals, & Sembawag airbase or Depp Barracks ( same as Johnny Depp) will know this shop.

Cost Plus was at the basement of Scotts , am I correct to say, it was owned by the Jumaboys? It was the first Electronics emporium back then, used to buy cheap calculators, VHS tapes ( remember those) etc. It was the "harvey norman" of our time, and it closed and was converted into a food court. There were few food courts in Orchard Road then, there was another at Forum Galleria, it was on the was it 3rd or 4th floor, and it moved to the basment, don't think it is there now. Subway niche is at the basment there, used to like their sandwiches.

Jumaboys owns Scott,Cost-Plus is a tenant owns by a few ex Peter Chew's Staff.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There were also You're Sixteen, Photograph etc. that topped the charts for Ringo Starr. Among band drummers, Ringo started the elite class.Even by stage presence, his trademark The Beatles logo drum kit was iconic. The two other drummers who made it were Don Henley (Eagles) and Phil Collins (Genesis). The best drummer IMHO was Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac, cool mix between classic and modern sound. However, he's not much of a singer-songwriter or soloist.

Ringo Starr honestly, wasn't that good a drummer!, if you listen carefully to all the Beatles songs. You are sixteen, not written by him, Photograph was ok and his 'RINGO' album could rank with, John Lennon, "Imagine", Paul MacCartney " Band On The Run" and George Harrison " All Things Must Pass", all of these solo albums a class of their own too. I like Ringo Starr, "It Don't Come Easy" played on "Concert For Bangladesh", and "Concert For Bangladesh" is another classic live album, in which all live albums ever for a rock rock or ensemble, from then on, pale in comparison.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thanks for mentioning Hyatt. You just confirmed my memory still ok.

I still can recall, after you roll the bowling ball, you stomp hard on the floor, you can get a "lucky strike" ( not the 'hoon keen')!! at Hyatt, and wasn't it The Hues Corporation of "Don't Rock The Boat" performed there?. Couldn't afford the ticket prices then, only mouth water.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
Re: History Of Old Kallang Airport

wow this conqueror guy has got lots of old pics...very nice indeed. Hey conqueror....you a museum curator or what ? :smile:

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I was born in Dakota Crescent,
Dakota was name after the air disaster.
Staying in those 3 rooms 3 storey rented flat.
Now all are demolished, making way for condo.
The two Medaka Lions was seated in the centre of the road
leading to the National Stadium, now it had landed in SAFTI.
In those days we are no allowed to go to the hawker centre
because of war between rival gangs, the HC was controlled by Koon Tong
and my side was Ang koon. Though i am not in any gang.
Old Airport too many gangs.