• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Qantas toh liao!!!

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think Qantas is in better shape than SIA. i remember a mat who was retrenched from SIA many years ago, it was a blessing in disguise for him and family. he was recruited by Qantas and live happily ever after in down under. he made more kids there and most of his kids education are taken care of. not sure about this though, he told me that he still collecting rent from his bishan flat...:wink:

SIA have never loss money in a given financial year, they are consistently in the top 3 best airlines in the world. Qantas is nowhere near SIA, your example of 1 malay family = qantas better is incredible

You "think" (and not by facts) Qantas is better shape than SIA and your opinion is based on one Malay family? Good job.

Typical retard logic. Anything good that has anything remotely to do with govt = fake. Anything bad that in anyway link back to the govt, OMG it must be true!!

Last edited:

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe , but maybe not. The direct flights were cancelled because of the wrong timing of the concept. The previous CEO favoured an all business class direct service to LA nad NY , which appeared a good thing at that time , which was also borne out by the initial encouraging loads and forward bookings.

Then the financial crisis happened and hit the industry very hard especially the business class segment of the market. Loads on the all business class flights to NY and LA dropped badly but the other flights to LA ( via Tokyo ) and NY ( via Frankfurt ) dipped briefly but picked up fairly quickly.

Loads are picking up again but the decision to close down the A340 fleet had already been made.

Overall SIA loads are not that excellent at the moment as you can see from available reports but again business is beginning to improve as economies recover.

The challenges that lie ahead for SIA would be the fuel prices and the Middle Eastern based airlines with their deep pockets flooding the market with cheap fares.

I recall taking the direct flights from Singapore to Newark direct. At that time they do have a premium economy class, where the price is slightly higher than the regular economy seats from Singapore-Frankfurt-JFK.

Most of the time it was full as there is no stop over, ie, need not waste another 2 to 3 hours for the stop over as some people prefer the convenient of direct flights.

When SIA decides to convert it to a all business class, I believe that was when, it start to go downhill. After all, not most company is able to allow their employees to travel Business Class, and with direct flight, the cost of the air ticket is even higher. There are times, when it is only half full or less, but will still need to take off.

My thoughts is that SIA got greedy thinking that by converting all to Business Class, they can make more per seat. They might not have anticipated when the load, or passenger falls, that's where you start to bleed. While you can fly with a lesser number of crews to adjust to less passengers, the cost of fuel, airport cost, etc, is pretty much fixed.

The Singapore-Tokyo-LA route is still pretty popular. But you can see, the Singapore-LA direst flight is gone. It's the same situation as above.

Last edited:

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes the financial crisis put paid to all the planning of capturing the higher end of the travel market to/from NY and LA. In itself it wasn't a bad plan but the inherent danger was that of putting nearly all the eggs in one basket for that Airbus fleet.

A revolutionary idea that got hit by the altered financial landscape at that time.

I recall taking the direct flights from Singapore to Newark direct. At that time they do have a premium economy class, where the price is slightly higher than the regular economy seats from Singapore-Frankfurt-JFK.

Most of the time it was full as there is no stop over, ie, need not waste another 2 to 3 hours for the stop over as some people prefer the convenient of direct flights.

When SIA decides to convert it to a all business class, I believe that was when, it start to go downhill. After all, not most company is able to allow their employees to travel Business Class, and with direct flight, the cost of the air ticket is even higher. There are times, when it is only half full or less, but will still need to take off.

My thoughts is that SIA got greedy thinking that by converting all to Business Class, they can make more per seat. They might not have anticipated when the load, or passenger falls, that's where you start to bleed. While you can fly with a lesser number of crews to adjust to less passengers, the cost of fuel, airport cost, etc, is pretty much fixed.

The Singapore-Tokyo-LA route is still pretty popular. But you can see, the Singapore-LA direst flight is gone. It's the same situation as above.