• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Police Create Their Own Problems Then Start Boasting of Their Raids

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just come out with special nightclub/bar girl/sex worker permit for $600/head/month.
Win win for all.
1. Gov have money
2. KTV/nightclub can openly operate their business with proper permit worker
3. Customer would be happy because no disturb from police

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did not know the law has been changed, always thot the legal limit is/was 18% per annum. That is what pawnshops are charging, how come with the change in law pawnshops never up their interests?

If indeed this is happening here then its becoming like HK where the loan sharks operate from 'finance companies' and the triad all come under registered 'societies/clubs. Come to think of it there used to be quite a number of 'sports clubs' operating as snooker and jackpot dens but now all no more?

wikiphile - I fully agree with you that 'this sort of situation is not only unique in S'pore, it happens everywhere'. But arent we a first world country with world class adminstrators?

We are number 1 in many many areas. This sort of situation should not exist in S'pore. How are we to teach the third world countries when such a simple matter is left dragging for the past decade.

exSINgaporean - I didn't face trouble with gangsters coming to my club. Gangsters, drunkards and those high on drugs are easier to deal with! Their friends with them are likely to prevent any escalation by driving sense to their troublemaker friend(s). If out of control, we just dial 999. We also pay taxes, CPF etc just like other businesses.

Cannot say the same for police officers raiding niteclubs. They appear as if
they are on a crusade to rid S'pore of niteclubs. But try asking them to raid Lido Palace and their balls disappear.

Even if they do, they will not hit Lido hard. Just go through the motion, bring 1 or 2 hostesses back, impose 3 or 6 demerit points then return to raid again a year later. By then, the demerit points would have been cancelled. Lido lives on and on and on.

exSINgaporean, thanks for your advice. Your suggestion is great but I doubt if I have the time. I also have no intention to offend our world class government coz I am a nobody.

I am sure the government will respond appropriately, but as always, it is always years later. We dont expect them to preempt this problem. It's not life and death for them. Neither do we expect them to deal with this matter swiftly, after it becomes so obvious. And yet we claim to be world class here and there. Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

Take the ah long problem as an example. They must have finally admitted defeat by making amendments to the Moneylenders' Act 18 months ago. The traditional ah longs we know of, that operated from the coffeeshops etc have now progressed to air con offices, after getting their license from the Registrar of Moneylenders. And they advertised their services in the newspapers.

The legal ah longs are now permitted by law to impose any amount of interest for amount above 3k. In the past, legal ah longs could only charge 1.5% monthly interest. Now, 20% is legal. Can also impose admin fees, late payment fees etc.
The ah long problem is now swiftly swept under the carpet. The police can now claim that any offences resulting from these loans were breaches committed by licensed moneylenders and not ah longs.

Honestly, what is the difference between the old ah longs and the legal moneylenders today? 20% illegal interest in the past suddenly becomes legal! Legally, there is no offence even if they charge you 100% interest monthly.

Well, they may insist that at least all loans are now recorded! But the problems of debtors remain. By claiming that with more legal ah longs, debtors can compare who offers more competitive interest rates is laughable at best. If you can borrow and pay below 5% interest, you are damn bloody lucky. 15% monthly interest rate is the norm, some 'chop head' others may not.

The government collects taxes, solve the ah long problem by nudging them to become legal etc. Problem solved and yet gets to collect revenue. Great move indeed.

Look at the numerous Off Course Betting Centres in S'pore today. They were introduced to combat illegal bookies. What is the difference? The illegals offer more competitive rates and credit terms. The government? Collect taxes. Gambling problem resolved? I am afraid not. Now we even have 2 world class gambling dens!

So, this niteclub problem can easily be resolved too. Just like the ah long, illegal bookies and PRC streetwalkers Geylang problems, ISSUE THE WORK PERMTS FOR HOSTESSES AND THE PROBLEM WILL DISAPPEAR. Why create the problem in the first place and then go all out to crush the very problem they created. Must be the greatest of all morons on planet earth. World class still?

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did not know the law has been changed, always thot the legal limit is/was 18% per annum. That is what pawnshops are charging, how come with the change in law pawnshops never up their interests?

If indeed this is happening here then its becoming like HK where the loan sharks operate from 'finance companies' and the triad all come under registered 'societies/clubs. Come to think of it there used to be quite a number of 'sports clubs' operating as snooker and jackpot dens but now all no more?

If I am not wrong, the part on 20% legal interest said by Goldendragon may be true and the percentage may be even more depending on the terms they signed. This is a cause for worry. "Licensed" moneylenders.

Anyway, don't borrow from sources who are very willing to lend money. Always comes with a catch.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I am not wrong, the part on 20% legal interest said by Goldendragon may be true and the percentage may be even more depending on the terms they signed. This is a cause for worry. "Licensed" moneylenders.

Anyway, don't borrow from sources who are very willing to lend money. Always comes with a catch.

interests at 20% per month and its completely legal? The borrower is facing financial ruin for sure :(

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
interests at 20% per month and its completely legal? The borrower is facing financial ruin for sure :(

Banks credit cards even more. No wonder every time hear calls from banks want cash plus, cash advance, i will tell them no interests i take. They put down the phone 1st :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://app2.ipto.gov.sg/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Z36qB3u469M=&tabid=205

These provisions regulate access to credit and provide that where
a borrower has an annual income of at least $20,000 and not exceeding
$30,000, he can only obtain unsecured credit of up to two times his
monthly income. If the borrower has an annual income of at least
$30,000, he can only obtain unsecured credit of up to four times his
monthly income. Borrowers with an annual income of less than $20,000
can only take a small unsecured personal loan not exceeding $3,000,
with the interest capped at 18 per cent per annum. The unsecured
lending provisions will not apply to high net worth Singaporean or
Permanent Residents earning at least $120,000 per annum, and non-
Singaporeans/Permanent Residents. The unsecured lending provisions
also provide for exclusions from their application for certain types of
loans e.g. loans for purposes of medical treatment, study, renovation,
etc.

Maximum Interest Rate
A Loan granted to an individual whose annual income on the date of grant of loan is less than $20,000:
Secured loan up to $3,000 12% per annum
Unsecured loan up to $3,00 18% per annum
B Secured or unsecured loan of up to $3,000 granted to an individual whose annual income on the date of grant of loan is $20,000 or more To be agreed upon between moneylender and borrower
C Secured or unsecured loan of more than $3,000 To be agreed upon between moneylender and borrower

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Banks credit cards even more. No wonder every time hear calls from banks want cash plus, cash advance, i will tell them no interests i take. They put down the phone 1st :biggrin:

Credit cards and credit lines most at 24% per annum. 20% per month is ridiculous, must be very profitable business indeed.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Clue : Massg Parl with a Thai name in Chinatown core.
They were given time of impending raid and it is in register,
so much so for being a clean place,

Look, if u are a senior wouldnt a junior colleague give face to u??

melzp: 'give face' stuff died 2 decades ago. The policemen today are different from those in the 70s and 80s. You are lucky if they don't stab you from behind.

The culture today is very different. Everyone wants to rise and use their colleagues as steps on a ladder. They only take orders from their superiors and some of the kiasu may also want their boss to black and white the instructions for fear of arrows and taichi later.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://app2.ipto.gov.sg/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Z36qB3u469M=&tabid=205

B Secured or unsecured loan of up to $3,000 granted to an individual whose annual income on the date of grant of loan is $20,000 or more To be agreed upon between moneylender and borrower
C Secured or unsecured loan of more than $3,000 To be agreed upon between moneylender and borrower

Try calling a Mr Wong (6325-1439) from the Registrar of Moneylenders and ask him to clarify what "to be agreed upon between moneylender and borrower" means.

He will ask you either to check with your own lawyer or ask you to interprete it yourself. Strange isn't it? Civil servants hate to be quoted for fear of being unable to defend themselves. First World? Perhaps the hotel at Genting.

To me, the meaning is simple. You are free to charge whatever you fancy as long as both parties agree. A very serious problem is now solved, on the surface.

When debtors fail to pay up, the same tactics are used to recover the loan. Which debtor has only 1 loan. Likely to be several, from the legal and illegal. If legalising the ah long trade is the solution in our fight against the illegal ah longs, we don't need graduates and scholars as policy makers.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey
that's the PAP culture in Singapore......... Big monkey do, small monkey follow
like that then get rewards, medals & promotions.........................even win elections & more promotions & salary bonus increases

rurouni

Alfrescian
Loyal
mark yeo operated which club?
bro please help retrieve what loaded888 posted 10 years ago.
I'm afraid I'm not that old, so I was not aware of loaded888's existence in 2006.

But in 2006, Mark Andrew Yeo was appointed a director of CIT:
http://libapps2.nus.edu.sg/nus_hlc/annrep/cit12008.pdf
(page 54 of the pdf file)
and has remained in that position until now:
kepcorp.com/en/news_item.aspx?sid=5957
kepinfratrust.com/board_of_directors.html#MARK
after CIT merged with KIT last year (2015):
kepinfratrust.com/milestones.html
kepinfratrust.com/past_cityspring_milestone.html
kepinfratrust.com/past_keppel_infrastructure_trust_milestones.html
:wink:

Attachments

• cit12008.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 266

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
I enjoyed reading your comments on ex-CP Khoo Boon Hui and the current CP, Ng Joo Hee. If I may add, if the ex-CP was that great, Wong Kan Seng would have handed him the 2PS post. Not a Senior DS post which is a slap on Khoo's face and backside.

Khoo Boon Hui's father was a senior cashier in Std Chartered Bank...and he was very proud of his bright boy studying in Oxford.

Why was he slapped front and back..??

Is it that he is not political correct..??

Just like Michael Khoo, the district judge ( google LKY vs Michael Khoo). He was somewhat demoted too.

Walter Woon is another guy who got on the wrong side of Lee wei ling..and lost his AG post in 2 years...

( Oh, on the other hand we got all the other spineless characters in the elite who live for the wrong reason..i dislike Gerald Ee who does not stand up for the people but pander to his master ) )

So can we surmise that the ruling elite yields great powers to the envy of other Asian leaders who want to follow their trick of the trade.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm afraid I'm not that old, so I was not aware of loaded888's existence in 2006.

But in 2006, Mark Andrew Yeo was appointed a director of CIT:
http://libapps2.nus.edu.sg/nus_hlc/annrep/cit12008.pdf
(page 54 of the pdf file)
and has remained in that position until now:
kepcorp.com/en/news_item.aspx?sid=5957
kepinfratrust.com/board_of_directors.html#MARK
after CIT merged with KIT last year (2015):
kepinfratrust.com/milestones.html
kepinfratrust.com/past_cityspring_milestone.html
kepinfratrust.com/past_keppel_infrastructure_trust_milestones.html
:wink:

For retrieval purposes, no need to be young or old. If you have the knowledge, that is all it takes.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I enjoyed reading your comments on ex-CP Khoo Boon Hui and the current CP, Ng Joo Hee. If I may add, if the ex-CP was that great, Wong Kan Seng would have handed him the 2PS post. Not a Senior DS post which is a slap on Khoo's face and backside.

Khoo Boon Hui's father was a senior cashier in Std Chartered Bank...and he was very proud of his bright boy studying in Oxford.

Why was he slapped front and back..??

Is it that he is not political correct..??

Just like Michael Khoo, the district judge ( google LKY vs Michael Khoo). He was somewhat demoted too.

Walter Woon is another guy who got on the wrong side of Lee wei ling..and lost his AG post in 2 years...

( Oh, on the other hand we got all the other spineless characters in the elite who live for the wrong reason..i dislike Gerald Ee who does not stand up for the people but pander to his master ) )

So can we surmise that the ruling elite yields great powers to the envy of other Asian leaders who want to follow their trick of the trade.

Walter and Michael, both in a different league. They langa-ed with their political masters. More than capable chaps. Their records speak for themselves.

On the other hand, KBH is a pitiful chap. He continues to be obedient and tries his best to please his political masters. Notwithstanding that, still CMI. Many of his subordinates overtook him. His current boss is Leo Yip at MHA. Subordinates who overtook him in politics and the civil service includes Aubeck Kam, Heng Swee Keat, Benny Lim.