• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PM Lee:Overseas S'poreans should return for better opportunities

larky28

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM Lee:Time to come back home, overseas Sporean.. We know you are kidding yourselves in a foreign countries thinking you have a better life! Spore is where your root lie.

Channel News Asia
Overseas S'poreans should look at home growth post-crisis & return
By May Wong | Posted: 17 April 2010 1345 hrs

CHICAGO: Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong hopes that Singaporeans based overseas will realise the country's developments and economic growth particularly after the financial crisis and return home soon.

He was speaking to some 150 Singaporeans who are studying and working in Chicago. Mr Lee was wrapping up his trip to the US, where he had also visited Washington DC.

Mr Lee told the Singaporeans in Chicago that Singapore is on a stable platform to transform itself, illustrating that with a slideshow of the country's latest additions such as Ion Orchard and The Pinnacle@Duxton.

".....A snapshot of what Singapore is, some of the happening things which have been going on (which hopefully) give you a feel of what Singapore is like and some nostalgia, homesickness so that you'll come back and visit (soon)," said Mr Lee.

"I think a lot of the (Singapore) story also has to do with the Singaporeans who are overseas who are studying, working, (they are) part of our community, part of our family. So (do) keep in touch with home, keep in touch with each other," he added.

Mr Lee later mingled with the crowd of Singaporeans and they were glad they had a rare chance to talk to the Prime Minister.

In fact, some said Mr Lee gave them a sense of optimism about Singapore's future, while others felt that the Prime Minister could come up with more programmes to help Singaporeans based overseas to better integrate when they return home.

Ricky Tay, a manager of Audit and Enterprise Risk Services at Deloitte and Touche, has been in Chicago for six years. He said, "The Prime Minister has painted a very positive picture and the upside for Singapore is tremendous. I think a lot of students and professionals living overseas will consider returning to Singapore to look for opportunities."

Chong Siew Gan, a consultant who has been living in Chicago for 10 years, said, "For older Singaporeans who have families here, I think we want more than just a professional job, buildings, shopping and F1 (racing). We need to grow and to have a better quality of life."

Hatim Thaker, a student, said, "I'm getting a very different perspective here in the US and not being trained in Singapore like everybody else. It gives me a very unique angle, through which I can contribute and participate, as the Prime Minister said, (in) Singapore activities."

Aktar Thaker, a property investor, said, "It's quite obvious to me that he (PM Lee) is trying his best to ask fellow Singaporeans to return home and contribute to the country, which is the right thing for him to do but as individuals, it's also important for us to do the right thing for ourselves."

Prime Minister Lee also met the president of the University of Chicago, Robert Zimmer, before leaving Chicago after a two-day visit.

- CNA/pw/ir

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which sane overseas Singaporean would want to come back to Singapore and blow his salary on a 30 yr mortgage for a overpriced 99 yr leased property(aka RENTALS PAID UPFRONT), pay excessively for cars and their usage or be sardined packed into public transport and worse of all have a huge chunk of his salary perpetually locked into a blackhole known as the CPF?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to differ.. Actually, wife and me do not mind returning to SG. Of course, this has to be done according to our terms :wink: Good salary package + accomodation + car should be sufficient. No CPF lockup, hehe.

My son's education is lacking... need a bit of SG 10yrs series to speed up the learning process..

Which sane overseas Singaporean would want to come back to Singapore and blow his salary on a 30 yr mortgage for a overpriced 99 yr leased property(aka RENTALS PAID UPFRONT), pay excessively for cars and their usage or be sardined packed into public transport and worse of all have a huge chunk of his salary perpetually locked into a blackhole known as the CPF?

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to differ.. Actually, wife and me do not mind returning to SG. Of course, this has to be done according to our terms :wink: Good salary package + accomodation + car should be sufficient. No CPF lockup, hehe.

My son's education is lacking... need a bit of SG 10yrs series to speed up the learning process..

Singapore laws require that all working SINGAPOREANS pay a portion of their salary into CPF.

Only foreigners other than Malaysians are exempt from compulsory CPF contributions.

I believe your case is based more on foreign expatriate terms and conditions. Perhaps PM Lee did not make himself clear when he called for overseas Singaporeans to return just like the PAP cannot make the differentiation between a Singapore citizen and a Permanent Resident.

Is PM Lee is throwing the door open to ex-Singaporean Nationals with foreign citizenship and degrees to return to S'pore? Then it is another BIG SLAP in the faces of the "STAYERS" aka "BAH SI BUAY CHAO"

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is PM Lee is throwing the door open to ex-Singaporean Nationals with foreign citizenship and degrees to return to S'pore? Then it is another BIG SLAP in the faces of the "STAYERS" aka "BAH SI BUAY CHAO"

Haha.. stayers already suffered from the existing conditions, hence, it makes no different to them. Foreigners, in particular the ex-Singaporean has much to offer.. a whole new perspective.. :p

I always tell my pro-pap wifey, Bah-Si-Buay-Chao is long gone.. the world shall be our home.. we have the skills ! and there is nothing PM Lee can do about it.. heehee.

If Khaw Boon Wan or Irene Tan can be accepted.. I see no reason why they cant accept the former singaporean who once served the NS with blood and sweat..

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
go back for what???

maybe those young and well educated rich kids in the US but not for us from the older and poorer generation.

let me see now...
- sg govt sector wont recognise my tertiary qualifications even the world does.
- banks doesnt hire me coz 99% of the IT dept there are ah neh and flilipino even though their skills are border line. they hire their own first!
- no one hire >35 years old.

no more will i go back to a life of servitude and live a live of fear. here i live for myself!

go back is to go back and die!

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Beware of the trap. I see there is perfect timing of the call to go home. Around this time of year delegations of brand name singapore companies will be making their rounds at selected unis on their recruitment drive to lure homesick overseas students home, just as these students are in their final term prior to convocation. After 4 lonely years away from home, any rosy picture, promises of jobs, and mention of char koay teow and chilli crab, the students' plan to start their job hunt here will waiver and they will jump on the first job offer from a GLC. As Glenn Frey says, you can check-out anytime you want, but you can never leave.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go back as FT lah, no need do NS, reservist. Get higher pay, after a few years go overseas again with CPF money and buy more house and cars loh. You can go anywhere to work nowadays, as long as the pay and incentives makes sense, why not? I'll even go china, burma, vietnam if they pay me double of what I'm getting here. Just don't expect people that goes back are necessary "Cheaper, better, faster". Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are not good. I suspect the students that bought into the lie that going back has more opportunity probably CMI overseas in the first place. So going back for them maybe their only option.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I can go back taking up senior postion and top dollar why not? At least for a few years. I could enjoy the priviledge as a FT in my own country, and the low tax is a big draw and still come back Sydney for holiday. Now may value has gone up, its actually time to negotiate for a higher pay cheque in Sg and travel around the world, after all, the job scope in Sg is wider and more challenging than Oz because Sg is positioned as the hub / Asia Pacific HQ for some corporations. Oz is a yawn in comparison when it comes to the scope and competitive nature of the work.

I doubt Sporeans from Chicago would want to go back to sg. US a massive market and Chicago is a top financial centre just behind New York, the opportunities there is endless.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I doubt Sporeans from Chicago would want to go back to sg. US a massive market and Chicago is a top financial centre just behind New York, the opportunities there is endless.

Chicago is in bad shape. I have an American friend from Chicago and he is not going back anytime soon.

Singaporeans left Singapore for a number of reasons. To avoid family members, or burnt by Singapore govt in the past when their policies change directions.

Some Singaporeans may be earning here over here but at least they have more time to themselves. Anyway, I will be surprised if a Singaporean with 5 year experience in Perth is earning less than $100,000 annually.

plec140

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go back-
- Lower pay (that's why taxes are lower).
- Longer working hours.
- Every day listen to our ministar; that singapore is lam pah one.
- Straits Times / Mediacorp and its running dogs-Propoganda.
- Buy a 99 year old lease.
- Crowd ..very crowded.
- Most importantly I have to serve reservist , my Competing FT does not; period.
Etc etc etc

Really want to go back ? If the kids who have some of the finest education in the world fall for the bull by LHL;then they deserve what they get in SG.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go back-
- Lower pay (that's why taxes are lower).
- Longer working hours.
- Every day listen to our ministar; that singapore is lam pah one.
- Straits Times / Mediacorp and its running dogs-Propoganda.
- Buy a 99 year old lease.
- Crowd ..very crowded.
- Most importantly I have to serve reservist , my Competing FT does not; period.
Etc etc etc

Really want to go back ? If the kids who have some of the finest education in the world fall for the bull by LHL;then they deserve what they get in SG.

in sg u pay huge taxes...alot are hidden tax...

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Opportunities are colour blind and emotional blind.. Likewise, the Investment - will you invest in India if their growth is 10-20% pa ?

Lets leave the emotional part aside. Why not.. if you have the opportunity and they pay double ? Working for them for 2 yrs is equivalent to 4yrs in Australia.. why not ?

Also, while you were there.. you could talk to the banker and have your loan transfer to SG and enjoy 2% interest. ! Wow, 2 deals in one go ! ..

Do not just see the pay as pay alone.. or a house as primary house.. look around for opportunity for a bigger and better return.. :smile:

go back for what???

maybe those young and well educated rich kids in the US but not for us from the older and poorer generation.

let me see now...
- sg govt sector wont recognise my tertiary qualifications even the world does.
- banks doesnt hire me coz 99% of the IT dept there are ah neh and flilipino even though their skills are border line. they hire their own first!
- no one hire >35 years old.

no more will i go back to a life of servitude and live a live of fear. here i live for myself!

go back is to go back and die!

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yeah. They appoint me as a PAP ministar where I could draw millions of $$$$ while I cho bolan,

Why not?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah. They appoint me as a PAP ministar where I could draw millions of $$$$ while I cho bolan,

Why not?

I'm a realistic person, I am aiming for "MP" only.. heehee.. A foreigner MP who gave up the SG citizenship.. Oh shame on me !.. hehe

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chicago is in bad shape. I have an American friend from Chicago and he is not going back anytime soon.

Singaporeans left Singapore for a number of reasons. To avoid family members, or burnt by Singapore govt in the past when their policies change directions.

Some Singaporeans may be earning here over here but at least they have more time to themselves. Anyway, I will be surprised if a Singaporean with 5 year experience in Perth is earning less than $100,000 annually.

Aiya, US has 50+ states, u can always move to another city with better opportunity. In sg u have only 1 choice, country size too tiny what to do ? The lifestyle in the west and work conditions are of course mu h better than sg. But sg is a tax haven and a place to save money, oz is for lifestyle. I discussed with friends here, Australia is such a expensive place to set up business and population is relatively small for a big geographical country go make. Ig bucks.That's why a lot of Asians still have their businesses based in their home country but live here for good. 100k noadays is not a lot, just an average middle class salaries.

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
But sg is a tax haven and a place to save money, oz is for lifestyle. I discussed with friends here, Australia is such a expensive place to set up business and population is relatively small for a big geographical country go make. Ig bucks.That's why a lot of Asians still have their businesses based in their home country but live here for good. 100k noadays is not a lot, just an average middle class salaries.

You are right, I used to know a businessman in his early 50s; he had a couple of factories in Malaysia and would stay there most of the time to manage them. Every other month he would fly back to Brisbane for a week or so to see his wife and two grown-up children.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aiya, US has 50+ states,
Yes, and he is sick of living there. Eg the pro-life lobby there is such that he cannot practice his choice of IVF.

Also, he used up his private health care life allowance.

Finally, he has an issue with the gun lobby after a disgruntled co-worker shot his boss and missed him by inches.

100k noadays is not a lot, just an average middle class salaries.

That is what I am saying. Middle-income.
how about typical Singapore salary?
They are better off here. fresh grad starting $50k.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, and he is sick of living there. Eg the pro-life lobby there is such that he cannot practice his choice of IVF.

Also, he used up his private health care life allowance.

Finally, he has an issue with the gun lobby after a disgruntled co-worker shot his boss and missed him by inches.

That is what I am saying. Middle-income.
how about typical Singapore salary?
They are better off here. fresh grad starting $50k.

Well, not everyone experienced the same issue. My friend in Seattle is doing just fine and no immediate plans to go home.

All I'm saying if there's good opportunities and you'll being offered a highly paid salary and perks, is not a bad choice going back for a few years as you may earn and save more than Oz. Also, in OZ is better to be a contractor then perm; the bonus, perks and salary increment here across all industry are not great.