• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Our Gurkha

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bruce niven was with the 10th princess mary's own gurkha rifles in 1963. he was captain then. because of his sas training and experience, he was involved with the selection of gurkhas from the gurkha brigade for parachute training. the subsequent company of gurkhas selected by niven for such special training went on to become the gurkha independent parachute company. they were all trained in malaya. david served in ww2 with the film unit. bruce served as a young officer 20 years later. if they were related as siblings, their father must had been a real good wanker. anyway, it was rumored that david's real dad, biological dad, was none other than sir thomas platt. totally no identical facial features between bruce and david. all bs within the spf is hogwash.

Annoyed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah, I forgot to mention that my dad had a couple of Gurkha students under his charge. He loved them. They were also the fastest runners ever.

The kids suffer the most. They mix with Singapore kids at Mt Vernon Secondary school and then find themselves dislocated when their father retires and returns. The kids for all intents and purposes are culturally Singaporeans.

MightyMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal
So OK, no big deal to me as I've said, their relations are none of my businesses. Ram must be also one of those mislead by PA fairytales in those years. :biggrin:

Everything is no big deal to you. If don't know, just shut up rather than make yourself look like a fool.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everything is no big deal to you. If don't know, just shut up rather than make yourself look like a fool.

Whether I'm right or wrong, I'm just offering opinion for discussion here. Does every opinion has to be vetted through the court and historical archive to be opened for discussion here? I've never claimed that I'm always right and stand to be corrected if I'm proved wrong. The fool is the one who thinks that he always must be right.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
The morale of this sad state of Gurkha affairs?.....it never pays to be a loyal dog.Dogs are treated as dogs and do have a dog's life.However,if you present yourself as a nuisance value you get the first attention.

Met some of the old retired Gurkhas and their grown up children who were educated in Singapore while in Kathmandu years ago.What a pitiful sight.Especially those who studied in Singapore.They are as any typical Singaporean in mind but trapped in a land locked country with very little opportunity.

Nepal itself is a land of no hope.Under feudal monarchy before and now under 'maoist' rule.Hence a lot in the remote mountainous regions see a stint as a Gurkha in a foreign land as their only hope.

Typically a Gurkha,after a 20 yrs of service is sent back home with a pension equivalent to Nepal's standard of living.This is a gross injustice which they fought against the British in their courts .Some ex Guarkhas in the British service in HK came back as bodyguards for their super rich.But those who served in Brunei and India are still fighting for their rights.Since India has the largest Gurkha contingent their ex serviceman are fighting for their own state .

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got to agree, They sign on to be a dog, and they clearly know it. Their job is to protect Politicians and Key Installations.. Loyalty not to the Flag but to the Money... One day should there be an Uprising, The government will use this People and unleash them upon us. But should their children grow up here or were born here, They should be given P.R/Citizenship cos they did not sign on to be a mercenary and is very much a Singapore kid. But of cos after years of Serving the "Nation" they ought to be given more Pension and choices after the end of their service to the Singapore dollar and Politicians..

Anyways this is Typical of PAP, They treat everyone like dogs.

BTW, Do Army regulars get Pension? For example a W.O who have served 37yrs in the Armed forces?

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got to agree, They sign on to be a dog, and they clearly know it. Their job is to protect Politicians and Key Installations.. Loyalty not to the Flag but to the Money... One day should there be an Uprising, The government will use this People and unleash them upon us. But should their children grow up here or were born here, They should be given P.R/Citizenship cos they did not sign on to be a mercenary and is very much a Singapore kid. But of cos after years of Serving the "Nation" they ought to be given more Pension and choices after the end of their service to the Singapore dollar and Politicians..

Anyways this is Typical of PAP, They treat everyone like dogs.

BTW, Do Army regulars get Pension? For example a W.O who have served 37yrs in the Armed forces?

they are mercenaries. so no loyalty beyond money-pay check. saf regulars don't have pension unless old timers.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
they are mercenaries. so no loyalty beyond money-pay check. saf regulars don't have pension unless old timers.

My Friend's dad is a WO and been in the service since 18, he is gonna retire in a couple of years time, From what i have heard from my friend.. His dad is not gonna receive any pension. He says it has been removed? But some of my other friends are saying They will receive pension.. Abit confuse..Anyone can confirm?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's alright. I'm just relating what I've heard from my police days. I've never been directly involved with Gurkhas anyway except some sporting games.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
For a race that is feared for it's martial prowess they appear to be mild mannered.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that my dad had a couple of Gurkha students under his charge. He loved them. They were also the fastest runners ever.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The older one's still draw a pension. There are some in mid career opted for full CPF contribution and not pension after the Govt offered a sweetener. Others did not take it. All those joined the CPF in the last 20 years or so are no longer offered the pension scheme. Pension scheme is restricted to certain senior scheme of service such as Intel, Sr SPF, Admin Serbice, etc.
My Friend's dad is a WO and been in the service since 18, he is gonna retire in a couple of years time, From what i have heard from my friend.. His dad is not gonna receive any pension. He says it has been removed? But some of my other friends are saying They will receive pension.. Abit confuse..Anyone can confirm?

Cthulhu

Alfrescian
Loyal
The annual recruitment is done at the British army depot but the selection and recruitments is done by Singapore GC personnel and not the British. They are flown to Singapore for Training. They are first trained as policemen for GC duties. They then undergo paramilitary training and finally full army training. They train in Tekong, Brunei and Pulada under an interesting arrangement. The Police Training is for riot and civil disturbance training. The army training is to take on renegade army units. They also have blue armoured military vehicles. The reason that they are not allowed to stay is to avoid the same issue thatbthey had with Sikh Police Contigent. They no longer can be relied upon to shoot fellow citizens and therefore become ineffective. However some are allowed to become Singapore citizens. Their kids have gone on to become Police regulars, teachers etc.

I felt very sian when I read this. Paranoid old man really have a low opinion of us.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The kids suffer the most. They mix with Singapore kids at Mt Vernon Secondary school and then find themselves dislocated when their father retires and returns. The kids for all intents and purposes are culturally Singaporeans.

actually it were mt vernon and bartley secondary schools. when mt vernon was closed in 1991, most of them enroll to bartley secondary school which also one the few reason bartley change from an all boys secondary school to a mixed school in 1993.

whether they are loyal to singapore or not, i not so sure as we ever were shut in school in a lock down situation because the gurkhas riot inside the mt vernon camp in maybe 1989/90. bartley was only one lousy fence with a single coil of bard wire on top to seperate us and them. many of them were staring menacing at us from across the fence, big hooha, several "ang chias" were park outside both mt vernon sec and bartley sec front gates.

singapore signed on the UN against child soldier yet recruit 14/15yo nepalese boys as mercenaries. I ever encounter gurkhas contigent sending their recruits to range at pasir leba, they were in the next range from us and share the same toilet facilities as us. They cannot be more than 15yo and we saw the recruits kenna beat up by their instructors at the range butt until flat on the ground where the instructors still rain kicks on them.

imho, there no need for gurkhas contigent to exist at all. the excuse of them being netural is plain hogwash. the real reason is for them hold the rearguard action while lao lee and gang skip town. The gurkhas maybe very fit compare to us but most of us are "thinking soldiers" and have numbers and heavy weapons on our side so the gurkhas contigent is not as powerful as the urban myth led us to believe.

Checker

Alfrescian
Loyal
They're honourable, brave tribe of people with legendary bravery and loyalty in combat. A race of people with a strong identity. Tradition to serve overseas and return home. But world is changing - young everywhere from mid-east to american want their freedom and opportunities.

Resistance against their remaining here is probably because they'll loose their identity, tradition & loyalty in combat (against locals if need be) should their children's boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives, grandchildren are local Malays, Chinese...

Debateable whether we need such a force. What're they uses, including ISA. Either way, the price for their service should rightfully increase and they probably deserve it.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
... One day should there be an Uprising, The government will use this People and unleash them upon us. But should their children grow up here or were born here, They should be given P.R/Citizenship cos they did not sign on to be a mercenary and is very much a Singapore kid.

That is what LKY and sultan of Brunei thinks.That the Gurkhas will shoot on orders regardless.But I beg to differ.Because they are really nice people.You may say somewhat like the Christian Belt of Southern US.Stick to their dogmas like a bulldog but their hospitality has no equals.I seriously doubt the Gurkhas will shoot unarmed civilians....there are no records to speak of like the Tiananmen square incident.

But their bravery is legendary.It was them who put an end to our secret-societies in the 60s.

Basically there are 2 typos.1 with mixed Indian blood and the other pure mongoloid race.The British only recruit the pure mongoloid variety as their Gurkhas whereas Indian army recruits both.However,the Gurkhas only accept the Scottish as their officers as there are many similarities within them.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
However,the Gurkhas only accept the Scottish as their officers as there are many similarities within them.

actually, the folklore had it was that the gurkhas fought against scottish regiment during the nepal war against british raj. mutual admiration over each other conducts during the conflict led to the nepalese only agree to become british mecenaries only if their commanding officers are scottish. But the trend of only scottish officers didnt last as being an officer in a gurkhas rifle regiment become the route of choice for ambitious regular officers of the british army. Serving in gurkhas rifle confirm deploy to conflict zones and being in conflict mean chance to be promote via conduct of sucessful operations.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is what LKY and sultan of Brunei thinks.That the Gurkhas will shoot on orders regardless.But I beg to differ.Because they are really nice people.

You are underestimating the professionalism of soldiers. if you are trained to shoot at a target in war, that's what you do on command. Full stop.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually, the folklore had it was that the gurkhas fought against scottish regiment during the nepal war against british raj. mutual admiration over each other conducts during the conflict led to the nepalese only agree to become british mecenaries only if their commanding officers are scottish. But the trend of only scottish officers didnt last as being an officer in a gurkhas rifle regiment become the route of choice for ambitious regular officers of the british army. Serving in gurkhas rifle confirm deploy to conflict zones and being in conflict mean chance to be promote via conduct of sucessful operations.

There is some truth in your post but i could not agree with it entirely.Because the Scotts had their own regiment too.And they were almost always posted in conflict zones.Besides the former Royal Fusiliers and R Guards during the Malayan emergency were vastly Scottish....they were shited between Malaya and Aden in matter o hours--both being hotspots of conflicts.

The fighting skills and spirit of Scotts during the Malayan emergency in Borneo is legendary...they are known to sneek into native houses during the nights.where the guy sleeping next woud be found with his throat slit lying in a pool of blood by the guy sleeping next the moment he wakes up.Such s their fear tactics....and their brothers in arm were Dayaks as trackers.

Somehow the Scotts gell better with natives than most British...take Singapore for example,True.Singapore was Raffles brain child but who actually built it?It was Farquhar- a Scott.Because Raffles himself was stationed in Bencoolen and not Singapore.It was Farquhar wearing a sarong who played ball with the native Malays....for some reason the British consider the Malays as a better fighting jungle force than the Chinese or Indians.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
.for some reason the British consider the Malays as a better fighting jungle force than the Chinese or Indians.

and they paid for that dearly during the early days of the Emergency, it was only upon the formation of VAT 69 (with the help of SAS) that they were able to turn the tides on the MCP.