• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia leaps into the top 8 places to invest in 2014

Jan 28, 2014 - PropertyGuru.com.my
Malaysia has been named in the list of top 8 places to invest in 2014 by the influential Live and Invest Overseas newsletter.

The portal’s audience is primarily U.S. nationals looking to invest in overseas property not only to boost assets, but also for life, retirement and legacy reasons.

It asks the question: “Where, specifically, should the would-be global property investor target his attention?”

Panama comes out top, where in the past six months, property values have appreciated in key areas, especially along waterfront districts.Strong demand from the United States, Canada, Venezuela, Colombia, and European countries, and a decreased supply of new apartments for sale have driven up prices by as much as 10 percent there since the second quarter of 2013.

Malaysia is ranked alongside Paris, Uruguay, Spain, the Philippines, Medellin in Colombia and timber as the best investments in 2014 by the publisher.

Writing about Malaysia author Lief Simon said: “A foreigner can own property outright in Malaysia. This simple but critical fact sets this country apart in this region.

“Malaysia is also a regional and a global hub, for trade and for business. The country is an expat melting pot for the region, with big numbers of expats both from all over Asia and, to a lesser extent, the West. Because it is a former British colony, English is widely spoken, so you don't have to worry about trying to learn to speak Malay.

“Target the Johor Bahru area, bordering Singapore. Singapore has limited space to expand so more and more people are living in Johor Bahru and commuting across the border. As a result, real estate values on the Malaysia side are appreciating quickly.”

The Top Overseas Market to Invest story can be viewed here.

Farah Wahida, Editor of PropertyGuru, wrote this story. To contact her about this or other stories email [email protected]

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went to kranji industries n admiralty area to take zone A coastline pic with..blar blar. Dun say i say one.. if u think is it dead there. LoL.

Btw, kranji factories going to make way 1~2 yrs time.. oh dun say i say one. :biggrin:

Last edited:

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Johor on weekdays quite quiet one.

Went to kranji industries n admiralty area to take zone A coastline pic with..blar blar. Dun say i say one.. if u think is it dead there. LoL.

Btw, kranji factories going to make way 1~2 yrs time.. oh dun say i say one. :biggrin:

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal

Share ur pics leh...

kawan2sgmy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read somewhere that by 2016, there could be something like 200K units of pte & hdb properties in the market! There has been reports that COV in some areas has come down to zero. Does anyone know where I can get statistics to show each Singaporean owns how many houses today? I guess it's every Singaporean's wish (me included): to own a hdb flat for rental income and a pte condo for own stay.

At the back of the mind of buyers even if it's for own stay, will be the thought abt capital appreciation...otherwise might as well just rent, can move to new house every time the whims strike, and those claiming own stay but bought multiples....hahaha are just BS.....now KBW is sweating at the thought abt where the disposal hdbs units are going to find buyers with his bright idea of mass constructions in tens of thousands.....sg property might be in for a rough ride in text few years.

DorisPing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, since we are on this topic...can singaporeans who already own overseas property still purchase new or subsale hdb??
I was told hdb already put a stop to this...is this true?

I read somewhere that by 2016, there could be something like 200K units of pte & hdb properties in the market! There has been reports that COV in some areas has come down to zero. Does anyone know where I can get statistics to show each Singaporean owns how many houses today? I guess it's every Singaporean's wish (me included): to own a hdb flat for rental income and a pte condo for own stay.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, since we are on this topic...can singaporeans who already own overseas property still purchase new or subsale hdb??

Officially you have to sell of the overseas property. But how would HDB know if you own a mansion in Pakistan or Brazil?

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

When come to big ticket item, try to play safe.

People whom know what you are doing may betray you.

Walking on tight rope and squeezing thru loophole may be fun, but somehow it will find a way back to haunt you in the future.

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
When come to big ticket item, try to play safe.

People whom know what you are doing may betray you.

Walking on tight rope and squeezing thru loophole may be fun, but somehow it will find a way back to haunt you in the future.

This rule discriminates natural citizens.

kawan2sgmy

Alfrescian
Loyal
If U had own a flat, and also own a pte or overseas property before the new ruling kicks in, I think U are safe. Btw, I stand to be corrected...
With so many new rulings, hard to follow...

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
yup, just another stupid rule dreamt out by the scholars. Impossible to implement .

That rule is certainly hard to enforce and personally, I know my FT colleagues from South Asia are not giving up their big mansions in their home cities in exchange for a HDB here. I half suspect in this case, HDB works on tip-offs so discretion is key to make sure no one blows the whistle on them.

kawan2sgmy

Alfrescian
Loyal
So if a S'porean reaching 35 yo, isn't it better to buy a condo than buying a hdb flat, with so many restrictions, like MOP 5 yr period?
I think it is a silly ruling, how can hdb flat be considered cheap and subsidized if it cost something like 300K to 600K. The whole world is talking abt globalisation and here we are, restricting its own people from investing outside of the small island. Oh and since abt 80% live in hdb flats, the majority of us Sporeans will lose out big time in future if this ruling is permanent. Just hope they can take it away sooner, like the case of hawker centres cannot sell restaurant food, thumbs up for that minister! He is an example of living in modern times.

Officially you have to sell of the overseas property. But how would HDB know if you own a mansion in Pakistan or Brazil?

Last edited: