• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
NAJIB SHOCKS with capital controls talk, bolstering fears of BIG TROUBLE AHEAD for M'sia

KUALA LUMPUR - Prime Minister Najib Razak raised eyebrows when he said during an interview that Malaysia would not impose capital controls but at the same time refused to discount the possibility that his government would freeze the local markets as a last resort to prevent capital flight.

"Chances of a default is minimum. Despite our money leaving, our reserves are more than enough compared to what we had during the financial crisis in 1997," national news agency Bernama reported him as saying during a recording at the CNBC Summit Conference. The clip will be aired over the business network at 5pm tomorrow.

Reserves higher now, but so is corruption while national debt is at record-high

Najib, who is also Finance Minister, also said that Malaysia's current reserves stood at US$130 billion compared to below US$30 billion in 1997, the year that the Asian contagion or Asian Financial Crisis had snaked into the Southeast Asian region, depressing the economies there for more than a decade.

At that time, foreign speculators such as George Soros had thrashed the Thai, Indonesian, Philippine and Malaysian currencies, making mince-meat of these economies. All 4 nations suffered sharp pullbacks to their socioeconomic progress, rocked by the unprecedented capital flight. Only Singapore was spared, staying relatively unscathed due to its low debt levels and a sturdy administration that was perceived as being 'squeaky-clean'.

Malaysia, gripped by endemic corruption and protectionist policies, was badly hit. Malaysians saw their ringgit depreciate from a 2.45 high against the US dollar to as low as 4.30 but the then prime minister, Mahathir Mohamad, refused to follow the IMF and World Bank prescribed austerity measures.

Instead, Mahathir slapped on a series of capital controls on the local currency and stock markets. Trapped overnight, many of the world's largest investors lost billions and vowed never to return to Malaysian shores, other than as hot money and for quick punts on the ringgit or the FBM KLCI share index.

Deja-vu: Badly managed, priorities all wrong, vested interests placed first

Fast-forward to 2013, and against the backdrop of the financial crisis gripping India and threatening to blow over to the rest of Asia, it may be deja-vu for Malaysia.

Despite promises to reform, Malaysia's national debt has climbed even higher than it was in 1997. Pledges to weed out corruption in the government and private sectors, scrap protectionist policies, including affirmative action policies that favored select communities, have been sacrificed on the altar of maintaining political power.

And following Najib's shock unveiling last Saturday of additional policies to specially benefit his Malay community, concern has risen even higher. Dark clouds now loom large over Malaysia's prospects and its continued viability as a key destination for serious foreign investment.

Many critics and investors have warned that such policies smacking of protectionism and racism are against the current global trend of economic integration and inclusiveness. They reckon it could set Malaysia backwards by at least 2 decades. Najib's failure to lay in fundamental and structural reform to the economy may also trigger more international agencies to follow Fitch in downgrading Malaysia's outlook to 'NEGATIVE'.

Already, the local currency and stock markets have been victims, although their falls have been tempered by positive news coming out from overseas markets and intervention by Najib's government-linked funds.

"We have always been warning the country is very badly run. All the priorities are being placed in the wrong places. This is why when Najib promised to liberalize the economy, replace the New Economic Policy with the New Economic Model, he was greeted like a hero by investors. Only the hardline warlords in Umno were unhappy and the irony is that these are ones who are richest. These are the ones who jet-set and buy properties in London, Paris and what-not. But the poor get poorer," MP for Wangsa Maju Tan Kee Kwong told Malaysia Chronicle.

"I just want to add the example of Norway, one of the smallest nations in Europe. Yet, they manage their oil wealth so well that their pension fund is the largest in Europe. Where is our Petronas and what has happened to all its resources? All these factors, especially with the latest Bumiputra Economic Empowerment plan which is actually NEP3, can only seal the feeling of hopelessness about the Malaysian government's ability and will to take the bull by the horns and make decisions that are right. This is why Najib may fear a capital flight. Not only are the non-Malays upset and unhappy, tell me which foreign multinational can hope to reap a good return when the government here allows racial favoritism to over-ride the law, even to the extent of making a mockery of the Federal Constitution. To me and to many others, it is obvious that what we have here is already the same as in Myanmar or Zimbabwe - which is governance by might is right."

Zero strategy to move forward: Opposition offers to help with national dialogue

It is no coincidence that the political Opposition in the country led by Anwar Ibrahim have reiterated their call for a national dialogue with Najib's beleaguered Umno-BN government.

"The Pakatan Rakyat leadership council convened on 18 September 2013 has agreed to express its willingness to hold a dialogue with the Barisan Nasional coalition for the purpose of solving the problems overtaking the country, such as the mounting debt load, sharp rise in prices of goods, crime and racism threaten to destroy national harmony," the tripartite Pakatan said in a statement released on Thursday.

However, it is unlikely that Najib or his Umno party will accept the invitation as to do so would be to acknowledge that there are indeed 'problems'.

So far, the Najib administration, has closed an eye to criticism, with key leaders in the Umno party openly rebuffing calls for "reconciliation" as desperate strategy from the Opposition.

Najib himself says Malaysia's economy was resilient compared to other countries in the region due to its strong reserves position, coupled with high savings in the Employees Provident Fund (EPF), Tabung Haji and Kumpulan Wang Amanah Pencen.

"It is obvious the Umno-BN will remain stuck in their comfort zone. They won't admit any fault until it is too late and the whole country falls into a vicious down-spiral. In this day and age, to suddenly announce political largesse in the form of cash aid and special incentives to the Malays and then just a few days later, talk about capital controls - even as a last resort - shows that Najib has failed as Finance Minister. He has zero cohesive policy and zero strategy to take Malaysia forward. He should be sacked or made to give up the portfolio to someone else more capable," MP for Batu Tian Chua told Malaysia Chronicle.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
A good observation by the former US ambassador to Malaysia.
The Price of Malaysia's Racism - Revisited

Written by John Malott

EXCLUSIVE When my op-ed appeared in the Asian Wall Street Journal last February, all hell broke loose in Malaysia.

My thesis was that the highest levels of the government were tolerating or even provoking racial and religious tensions in order to shore up their political base among the Malay community.

I also pointed out that there is an economic price to pay for that political calculation, namely, that members of the minority communities increasingly will feel unwelcome in their own country and continue to emigrate overseas, taking their talents and skills with them.

Now, three months later, I don't think that there is any doubt at all about what I said. It's not a thesis any more, it's a fact.
A very comprehensive report by the World Bank has described the exodus of talent from Malaysia in great detail, pointing out the reasons for the migration and the economic consequences for Malaysia . It is shocking to think that two out of every ten Malaysian college graduates now lives (and works) overseas. Malaysia 's loss is Singapore 's (and America 's) gain.

On racial and religious tensions, not only do they continue, but they seem to have gotten worse. Najib says that Islam is superior to all other religions. Mahathir says that Malaysia is Tanah Melayu. Talk of Ketuanan Melayu - the Malays as the Master Race, rather than as a people with a special position, which is what the constitution says - has grown. The Home Ministry desecrates the Holy Bible with government stamps and serial numbers.

When Utusan undercuts the Prime Minister's 1Malaysia policy and calls for 1Melayu, Muhyiddin says that Utusan is the voice of the Malays. Utusan then goes on to say that the Chinese are trying to take over Malaysia , and that the Christians are conspiring to abolish Islam as the national religion, and so on.

All complete fabrications.

But Utusan - owned and controlled by UMNO - gets away with it. This is the clearest example of what I meant when I said that the Government - at the highest levels - is tolerating this in order to strengthen its base among the Malays in preparation for the next General Election.

I find all this very frightening. To strengthen its base, the Government is pandering to the basest elements - some of the most racist, least educated, most gullible, and most intolerant segments of society.

Those elements are constantly conjuring up threats - that the Malay race and Islam, which are the majorities in Malaysia , are under siege by the minority, which is a demographic impossibility.

And rather than say it isn't so, the Government goes along with Perkasa, Pembela, racist bloggers, Utusan, and so on.

- John Malott is the former US ambassador to Malaysia

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
ISKANDAR PUTRI @ SILC NUSAJAYA, being advertised for sale and spamed into my inbox.

asking price is RM300+

I have been to the area. I think its bullshit!!! sure lose money for many years.

anyway they are offering 6% p.a. rental for 2 years which I also think is bullshit cos earlier in the year a similar project was asking for RM285 net and I didn't bite. already gonna lose money at 285. how to make money at 300+?

buy at your own risk!

just sharing

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
ISKANDAR PUTRI @ SILC NUSAJAYA, being advertised for sale and spamed into my inbox.

asking price is RM300+

I have been to the area. I think its bullshit!!! sure lose money for many years.

anyway they are offering 6% p.a. rental for 2 years which I also think is bullshit cos earlier in the year a similar project was asking for RM285 net and I didn't bite. already gonna lose money at 285. how to make money at 300+?

buy at your own risk!

just sharing

Location-wise on the map is a bit too far west. Residential areas are taking off there but it seems to be over-sized for the next 10 years.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia government is deeper into debt. I doubt it will do much to crimp foreigners' purchase of properties as the revenue from developers and buyers are critical to its reducing its budget deficit.

KL govt request for RM14b seen as untimely
Economists concerned over whether fiscal deficit can be pared
BY PAULINE NG IN KUALA LUMPUR
PUBLISHED SEPTEMBER 24, 2013

THE Malaysian government's commitment to budgetary reforms and the consolidation of its fiscal deficit was thrown into doubt yesterday when it sought a further RM14.12 billion (S$5.6 billion) for its operating expenses.

Economists say the large amount, coming a month before the tabling of the 2014 Budget, could undermine the government's credibility and lead to a further weakening of the ringgit if does not meet consolidation targets and is punished by international investors.

In Parliament yesterday, Deputy Finance Minister Ahmad Maslan tabled the Supplementary Supply Bill 2013 seeking the extra funds, the bulk or nearly RM12 billion sought for Treasury services.

Given that Mr Ahmad had in July already asked for RM12.17 billion under the same Bill, the latest request is sure to raise concerns as to whether Malaysia can pare its fiscal deficit to 4 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) from 4.5 per cent last year.

"It comes at an inappropriate time as the government is trying to strengthen the fiscal position and to stop the public debt from rising," said Bank of America Merrill Lynch economist Chua Hak Bin, who expressed surprise at the large sum, estimated to amount to about 1.5 per cent of GDP.

At 54.6 per cent of GDP as at end-June, the country's public debt ratio was also just shy of the government's self-imposed 55 per cent ceiling.
Recently, Prime Minister Najib Razak had said that his administration was working on budgetary reforms which would be announced in the October budget. This came on the heels of Fitch Ratings' end- July downgrade of Malaysia's sovereign outlook to negative from stable, owing to the lack of structural reforms.

"The RM14 billion is disproportionate to the direction of what the government is trying to do with the fiscal trajectory," Mr Chua said, noting the trimming of fuel subsidies earlier this month - the first in about two years - would only result in a saving of RM1.1 billion this year and RM3.3 billion next year.

"I do not see how with slowing growth, rising costs and an increase in the supplementary budget, the debt ceiling will not be breached."

Other economists said the government has indicated tax collection this year would "surprise on the upside", and had likely been factored in the coming budget. Indeed, the Internal Revenue Board collected a record RM125 billion in 2012 to surpass its initial target of RM109 billion.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/premium/malaysia/kl-govt-request-rm14b-seen-untimely-20130924

Fire3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Location-wise on the map is a bit too far west. Residential areas are taking off there but it seems to be over-sized for the next 10 years.

Only those early bird that got Nusajaya Square or first phase of toing nam last year stand a better chance to weather it as entry price was pretty low then

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only those early bird that got Nusajaya Square or first phase of toing nam last year stand a better chance to weather it as entry price was pretty low then

I think the price of Tiong Name project when launched was not cheap. At least 1000 psf and above.

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
if I am correct, the Nusajaya Sq first phase went for RM250psf. Might have been RM200 but I can't be sure. Tiong Nam's was from RM285 and up. But these shops are huge. Typically at least 4,700 sqft, which translate to more than RM1 million. The big ones begin at 8,000 sqft and up to 11,000 sqft. with no DIBS, 4.2% interest rate, and a long wait for the population to build up, and not forgetting that particular cross junction is going to have 4 similar commercial squares, it translate to hell of a lot of supply and very expensive holding costs.

might be a viable venture for an investor but for a businessman, I would only look at buying it once everything is up and running.

was talking abt this with my fren yesterday and he kept saying that it would be such good synergy for my business if I have one unit. But I told him to would take eons for that place to build up. I cant afford to wait. besides, the target mkt is suppose to be the working ppl from the industrial park but like I have written before, Johor lacks the skilled population to populate the factories. so I think its gonna take a long time to build up the factories. also, correct me if I am wrong, I think the residents in that area aren't particularly wealthy so I doubt there will be much money sloshing around in that area in the near future.

Last edited:

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Third Singapore-Malaysia link could cost RM20b

Sep 24, 2013 - PropertyGuru.com.my
The construction cost of the proposed third link that will connect Singapore and Johor could stand at around RM20 billion, depending on the bridge's starting points in both countries as well as the project structure, according to media reports.

Malaysia is looking at constructing the bridge in Pengerang or Pasir Gudang, and have Singapore link it to either Tampines, Changi or Punggol, according to people with first-hand knowledge on the matter.

Notably, the distance between Changi and Pengerang is longer compared to that from Changi to Pasir Gudang, which is around 2km.

If the line is built from Changi to Pasir Gudang via a bridge over water, the construction cost would stand at between RM3 billion and RM4 billion.

“If the government decides to build a tunnel between the two points, the cost will increase by threefold to around RM12 billion,” said the source at a recent highway conference.

The third bridge will have a construction cost of around RM20 billion if Malaysia opts to build a tunnel from Changi to Pengerang, noted the source.

“A tunnel will cost three times more than a suspension bridge. The government will do a feasibility study on the project. It will be good for both Malaysia and Singapore as traffic at the Causeway and the Tanjung Kupang-Tuas Second Link is getting heavy,” added the source.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

The construction cost of the proposed third link that will connect Singapore and Johor could stand at around RM20 billion, depending on the bridge's starting points in both countries as well as the project structure, according to media reports.

Malaysia is looking at constructing the bridge in Pengerang or Pasir Gudang, and have Singapore link it to either Tampines, Changi or Punggol, according to people with first-hand knowledge on the matter.

Notably, the distance between Changi and Pengerang is longer compared to that from Changi to Pasir Gudang, which is around 2km.

If the line is built from Changi to Pasir Gudang via a bridge over water, the construction cost would stand at between RM3 billion and RM4 billion.

“If the government decides to build a tunnel between the two points, the cost will increase by threefold to around RM12 billion,” said the source at a recent highway conference.

The third bridge will have a construction cost of around RM20 billion if Malaysia opts to build a tunnel from Changi to Pengerang, noted the source.

“A tunnel will cost three times more than a suspension bridge. The government will do a feasibility study on the project. It will be good for both Malaysia and Singapore as traffic at the Causeway and the Tanjung Kupang-Tuas Second Link is getting heavy,” added the source.

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/3BRIDGE/Article/index_html

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still think it is better to build at Pasir Gudang and Punggol, distance shorter, cheaper cost, faster materialised.

I agree. It makes more sense to do so. Penggarang is just too far out.. But the seaside feeling over there is unbeatable. Very nice. Best to preserve the seaside in its pristine condition & give some of us a place to go for fantastic Seafood.

Fire3

Alfrescian
Loyal
if I am correct, the Nusajaya Sq first phase went for RM250psf. Might have been RM200 but I can't be sure. Tiong Nam's was from RM285 and up. But these shops are huge. Typically at least 4,700 sqft, which translate to more than RM1 million. The big ones begin at 8,000 sqft and up to 11,000 sqft. with no DIBS, 4.2% interest rate, and a long wait for the population to build up, and not forgetting that particular cross junction is going to have 4 similar commercial squares, it translate to hell of a lot of supply and very expensive holding costs.

might be a viable venture for an investor but for a businessman, I would only look at buying it once everything is up and running.

was talking abt this with my fren yesterday and he kept saying that it would be such good synergy for my business if I have one unit. But I told him to would take eons for that place to build up. I cant afford to wait. besides, the target mkt is suppose to be the working ppl from the industrial park but like I have written before, Johor lacks the skilled population to populate the factories. so I think its gonna take a long time to build up the factories. also, correct me if I am wrong, I think the residents in that area aren't particularly wealthy so I doubt there will be much money sloshing around in that area in the near future.

NS starting is about that. TN phase one is at the other end of the entrance and also similarly price like NS. You are right that largely there are mostly factory workers rather than highly skill workforce at this point. Not sure what the biohub bring though when it is up as at least there will be a large generic drug maker making its presence there

Sunday

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi, i saw lot of news about 3rd bridge in the east of Singapore, which is good to ease the traffic in the current causeway & 2nd link. If this is a surface bridge, what will happen to Sambawang ship yard? they will move to other area? or a bridge so high above the sea level that luge ship can pass thru? may be a tunnel will be good but $ mind will be very X.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, i saw lot of news about 3rd bridge in the east of Singapore, which is good to ease the traffic in the current causeway & 2nd link. If this is a surface bridge, what will happen to Sambawang ship yard? they will move to other area? or a bridge so high above the sea level that luge ship can pass thru? may be a tunnel will be good but $ mind will be very X.

Sembawang shipyard will be moving out in a couple of years.. so that might help things..

nextreal

Alfrescian
Loyal

There is no way to build a high bridge for oil rigs that can be as tall as 500ft. A draw bridge is also not feasible in anticipation of the high volume of road traffic.

The way I see it, there's little for Sg to gain economically for having this 3rd link. Building a normal link means sealing off Sembawang. Else, for us to pump half of RM20b (I foresee it will be a lot more given the almost-certainty for cost overrun) for an undersea tunnel, plus further infra cost to build a 3rd CIQ, is just too unviable considering what we little stand to gain. Conversely, My is strongly harping on this since they can make use of this oportunity to close off Sembawang to benefit their Piai and Pengarang harbours.

So, I think there is more potential, at least from Sg's perspective, to see either of these 2 scenarios to happen.

1. Sg stalls the idea of building this 3rd link till the materialization of our grand 2030 plan of shifting most, if not all, of the shipyards to Tuas. My may not see eye to eye given the impending maturity of Iskandar by then.

2. We widen or stack a 2nd (or even 3rd) storey over the Causeway and expand the CIQs. This is more probable considering our plan to link both ends with the RTS/MRT track. The critical factors to consider in this scenario is the processing speed of our CIQs as well as the road networks leading to and away from those.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
i agree, scenario 2 is the best for everyone involved. widen to a 15 lane both ways, and also is it infeasible to consider a single joint CIQ clearance, since they're mooting the same idea for the MRT commuters already?

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
There is an opportunity to buy 1 staff unit from One Sentral (condo), not mine but one of my friends has bought quite a few and passing the opportunity to me. Anyone keen?