• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My View as a Foreigner woriking in Singapore.

FTalent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jane

MAY i ask your views on whether you tink our PAP rulers are competent? Do you believe there is no corruption in Sinkieland? Do you believe that locals have been exploited by the ruling bastards.

Do u agree with the high salaries of our ministers?
What are your views on COEs?
1. Not sure if PAP is competent. But I believe in any country, there are always different views for supporting any party.

2. There is always corruption everywhere.

3. Exploited? Perhaps.

4. Salaries? No I don't agree.

5. COE? Can't help you. I do not own a car in Singapore. But it is definitely expensive to own one here.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not sure what u mean.

welcum, oops i mean welcome to sbf, and before you go further getting many here in erectile mode, i wish to introduce you to some sbf-speak, so to speak, so that you don't need to constantly refer to an online thesaurus or sbf dicktionary (which is non-existent) to understand some commonly-used idioms and slangs here. they are seldom found anywhere else.

ok, 1st, "mai hum". it means no cockles. mai humtum, with just a suffix, means something totally different.

the initial list. and i'll add as we go along.

abalone - chee bye
blurfuck - often used by someone here to refer to those not up to shis bitchy level
chee bye - vagina
chope - not chop. chop refers to any male member here cutting off their dicks if they are wrong.
dickhead - frequently used term when an argument goes south

i shall stop here and continue later if you're interested to go along......

Last edited:

FTalent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Response to Post #69 OvertheCounter

1. Thanks for the engagement.

2. Phrase - Foreign Talent - I have responded to that previously.

3. Guilt Trip? Nope. The post is just a point of view. Nothing more nothing less.

4. Political parties - Yes, I neutral. What has a foreign worker like me to be interested in domestic politics of Singapore.

5. Bus drivers' Strike - I am really not bothered.

6. Xenophobic? I have never alleged that Singaporeans are xenophobic. I have made that very clear in my 2 earlier posts. By and large, Singaporeans are friendly and welcome foreigners. I have not detected any unhappiness from my local colleagues. Maybe my social circle is not wide enough. But I can categorically state that in Scotland, xenophobia is prevalent. I was once shouted at in the middle of the street in Edinburgh - "GO HOME CHINKS!".

I hope I have not miss out any valid points in your post. If I do, my apologies.

Jane

Last edited:

HappyCAMPER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam can help you if you wish to change your nick from FTalent to Foreign Worker.

Your start pt of using FT as your nick is already on a presumptuous note. There're no foreign talents in Sinkapoor, but only foreign workers.

I checked the whole of MOM website and can't find a single reference to Foreign Talent at all, but plenty of references to Foreign Worker.

:biggrin:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What a strange question to ask.

I thought it would be easy for you to empathise with the displaced masses.
Immigration policy has never being a part of "nation-building" sacrifices.

Disappointed with your question.

If you read carefully, that question was dripping like a stewed mutton chop fresh out of a pot of boiling gravy.

The first few forummers caught out TS at the get go, and she continues and continues. Keep it up guys. There is this Chinese saying YUE MIAO YUE HEI --> the more she talks, the blacker it gets!

Enjoying this immensely.

Last edited:

SeeingRED

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a foreigner working in Singapore for the last 5+ years. I am from Shanghai, China, studied in States and worked in London. I moved to Singapore post my 1 year London stint.*I worked for a foreign bank in Singapore. ...

Looking at your education & working experience (to date), I am quite certain that you have the ability to decide upon whether or not to apply for PR.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Response to Post #69 OvertheCounter

1. Thanks for the engagement.

2. Phrase - Foreign Talent - I have responded to that previously.

3. Guilt Trip? Nope. The post is just a point of view. Nothing more nothing less.

4. Political parties - Yes, I neutral. What has a foreign worker like me to be interested in domestic politics of Singapore.

5. Bus drivers' Strike - I am really not bothered.

6. Xenophobic? I have never alleged that Singaporeans are xenophobic. I have made that very clear in my 2 earlier posts. By and large, Singaporeans are friendly and welcome foreigners. I have not detected any unhappiness from my local colleagues. Maybe my social circle is not wide enough. But I can categorically state that in Scotland, xenophobia is prevalent. I was once shouted at in the middle of the street in Edinburgh - "GO HOME CHINKS!".

I hope I have not miss out any valid points in your post. If I do, my apologies.

Jane

Pls lah.. I really doubt you're an FT..

Which Govt agency are you from?

You're from the The National Population and Talent Division..???

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am a foreigner working in Singapore for the last 5+ years. I am from Shanghai, China, studied in States and worked in London. I moved to Singapore post my 1 year London stint.*I worked for a foreign bank in Singapore. My Singapore boss is a nice man who has taken care of us very well.

However, my observation is that the Foreign T alent (FT) issue (as most locals called it) has snowballed into something that the ruling Peoples Action Party cannot control anymore.

Personally, I am worried about this backlash as it is making me think twice about applying for Permanent Residence (PR) in this beautiful country which I set my foot on 5 years ago. I like Singapore. Its a safe country and efficiently managed. Aside from minor problems here and there (eg. difficulty to get peak hour taxi), the overall experience is good, especially for a single female like me who prefers working in a safer city rather than Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Shanghai or even a very cramped and polluted Hong Kong.

On the FT issue, I am not sure that the Peoples Action Party has really picked up the "ground swell"against it's relaxed views on immigration. I don't think Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is listening to the push back from its citizens. Also his continued harping on integration of FT's is becoming an irritant rather than a solution to the problem.*My view is that - to then add insult to "injury" by calling the local views 'xenophobic' - it seems to have pushed the issue even further into a possible opposition camp rallying point in the next few years.

The above may be my simple view as I may not understand the complexities of the political system here.*

A local male colleague introduced this forum to me. In my free time (aside from the fabulous shopping that Singapore has to offer), I have read lots of threads and posts in this Sammyboy Forum as a guest for the last 6 months or so. I am actually quite shocked by the anti foreigner sentiments here in this forum and has somewhat weakened my decision to apply for PR.

I must clarify that I do not have any problems with Singaporeans. Generally, they are very nice (except maybe for the Singlish which I have through the years adapted to them - like the "lahs" and the using of tissue paper to "chop" seats in food courts!). In fact, when I go for my home leave back to Shanghai now, I will feel strange for the first few days (though I grew up in Shanghai near the Xin Tian Di area).

I don't support any political parties in Singapore. To me, politics is not my cup of tea. However, during the Singapore elections in 2010, some of my local friends were very buzzed- up and I even followed one of my male colleague who invited me to a rally in Serangoon. It was quite an experience seeing a very very energised crowd. My only impression was the Singapore national pledge at the end of the rally which I could feel the immense nationalism amongst the people in the stadium - which I rarely feel during the non-election time.

I know some of you want to know my views about the recent China bus drivers' strike. To me, I have seen strikes in China, States and London. So I am not really interested but some of my local office colleages did ask me how I feel towards those drivers. Honestly, I don't give a damn. There are one billion people in China and I suspect these drivers are mostly from rural or smaller cities with not much education, hence they are easily influenced by others.

The above is just an independent perspective from me. Hopes you guys and gals here do not take offence.

Jane

Aiyoh you write so Chim one leh. I belly belly surprise leh. You write like a sipeh alucated char-boh.

Truly, your superb command of English surprises me.

I have been to China many times and have never ever come across someone as intellectually bright and well-lettered as you.

Even the Shanghainese with years under British suzerainty do not speak so well as you.

You have put many English-educated Chinese from China and even East Europeans and some Americans serving in China as English tutors to shame for many of them can't even write as well as you did.

With such high level of proficiency in the English language, I am sure you could have opened a private school or be admitted as a highly-paid staff with the top English institutions in China.

Europe and America or for that matter Australia and New Zealand would have grabbed you for your pomposity as reflected in the way you wrote in your first introduction.

Why come to such a country where you are so lowly-paid and where even our so-called top journalists, civil servants and politicians speaks English in such a despicable manner?

Still have time to catch the flight out from Singapore. The Chinese Foreign Ministry needs such an eloquent speaker and writer to speak to the world especially during such a time when China is creating so much tension in our region. You ought to become it's official spokeswoman.

You may even land yourself in a job as an Ambassador to USA.

Tarry for time and tide awaits no one.

Don't ever accept the pink IC from our Immigration Dept.

hsienloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jane, loong time no see. Oh.. that new specs looks great.
Like that smile of yours.
Cheers!

plainjane.jpg

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear All

First, many thanks for all your feedback and comments. I must admit that some comments are not that pleasant to view whilst others are encouraging. I guess this issue of foreign workers (PS : as opposed to some who loath the word “talent”) is a sensitive one. I shall henceforth use the phrase ‘foreign workers”.

Next, I never expect my simple post articulating my views as a foreign worker has attracted so much feedback. Some has suggested that I am a “clone”? Not sure what that means, but I assume it either means I am a fake foreign worker or a forum member faking a story here. To this, I beg to disagree. The whole reason I wrote was to give a foreign worker perspective, and nothing more or less.

And to those who expect me to sit by my computer and reply every single post – let me tell you this – I have a day job in a bank and “forum-ing” does not earn me any money to pay the high cost of rental, food and transportation in Singapore. Whilst I may come from a well-to-do family in Shanghai, that does not mean that I do not need to work. Working to earn my “keeps” makes me stronger as an individual and helps me to keep sanity (as opposed to “forum-ing”). It is one of the most important Asian values which I believe in and I am sure many of you will agree with me. Of course if I am a retiree or have sufficient income for old age like some of you, “forum-ing” can become a cheap source of entertainment where you can at the comfort of anonymity and “shoot” comments without careful consideration on how it impacts others or a society as a whole.

Having said the above, I shall address some constructive feedback. I am not being sarcastic – but seriously, some of the posts are really silly and I do not think it is worth engaging. Also, as there are voluminous posts, I may miss some comments and I hope those who expect a response from me let me know.

1. Post #7 Mojito

I do see a long term decision to stay and work here. It’s a fabulous country. Growth is important, but I feel that in terms of graciousness, Singapore is still better than Shanghai or Hong Kong which is the other two career destination choices. Next, I have no intention to start any family. I rather build my career first. I do not want to be committed to man who does not share the same direction as me. (PS : I have past relationships that failed due to mis-alignment of the path I want to take).

2. Post #9 Winniepegjets

I disagree that the locals have it tough. Whether in Shanghai, London or Hong Kong or many other countries, I hear such complaints. It has become trite.

Perhaps the PAP government has not worked hard enough to create the “buy-in” with its local residents. I do agree however that more can be done to give locals more benefits in terms of housing, health care and other social benefits. In China, people retire early and lead a more gracious old age. I must say that I am appalled to see the elderly working in food courts in Singapore. I am not sure if they work voluntarily or due to economic issues. Suffice to say, my view is that without a social safety net for the elderly, its citizens will always end up in a virtual circle – fear of living costs – fear of starting a family – lack of local births – import of more foreign workers – disharmony and problems of integration foreign workers and back one circle after another.

3. Post #10 KopiO

Completely agree that foreigners are always a target of discontent. But sometimes it is not necessary so. I think some foreigners in Singapore are not up to expectations. However, I am not sure how and what a gatekeeper like Ministry of Manpower can do to sift through the good, the bad and the ugly foreigners or foreign workers.

4. Post #20 and #42 Goondusami / Kinana

I do not agree your hyper-generic statement that Singaporeans are lazy. My local Singapore colleagues are as hardworking, or in fact more hardworking than most colleagues I have met in work assignments in US and London.

Comments like these from you also serve to stir unnecessary negative sentiments and not helpful to anyone – whether the PAP government or to those who are already showing a veering negative sentiment towards foreigners and foreign workers.

5. Post #22 and #23 Tonychat / TracyTan888

I do not agree that Australia is a better place. Whilst the quality of life may be better, it all depends on whether a person of my age who is young, ambitious and hardworking can get just enrichment on a meritocratic basis. I shall ignore your other emotive comments as it does not value-add to this discussion.

6. Post #26 Batman

It is the same too with other cities in the world – New York, Shanghai, London where foreign workers go to maximize benefits to themselves. Singapore, a global red dot on the map is no different and it is up to all of us - locals, residents, foreign workers to make it a better place where we want to stay and remain. On your belief that PAP is out to squeeze its locals, it is for the locals to take to the ballot boxes if they believe so. And I do support the locals as these are all bits to making a better place for all. When locals fight for their rights, it shows that they treat this place as home.

7. Post #36 Ash007

Of all the posts, this is the one I am most annoyed with. I DO HAVE A JOB! I NEED TO WORK. If I respond to every single post – some of which are nonsensical, I will not do justice to anyone but to create unnecessary forum spam.

8. Post #45 Zeddy

I disagree. Singapore is a relative safe place for a female foreign worker compared to many other cities in this world.

9. Post #47 SoIsee

I do live in the heartlands and do enjoy my local interaction with the locals. I am also learning to appreciate local food whether it be Chinese (eg. Mee-kia dry), Malay (eg. Mee rebus) or Indian (eg. Indian Rojak).

While some local food may not suit my palatte, I am sure it is the same for a Singaporean who lives in Thailand, Vietnam or Korea, etc. I believe it is important that for any foreign worker to assimilate – it is in the heart that must have a propensity to adapt to other cultures. However, not every foreign worker will have the same belief as me.

I know it is a long reply. As I said, I do not have the time to “sit” in this forum day in day out. As and when I am free (ie., not working, not shopping :biggrin:) I will be here.

Love to All
Jane

Or Eee Or, Tarzan Bo Cheng Khor

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I disagree that the locals have it tough. Whether in Shanghai, London or Hong Kong or many other countries, I hear such complaints. It has become trite.

In the 3 cities you cited or in those countries, they don't have 40 percent of the population consisting of foreigners. Our infrastructure or economy is unable to support 5 million people! With excessive demand and limited supply, everything goes up, except for jobs for the locals.

Life maybe tougher in Shanghai but why should sinkees have to go back to that state? Sinkees are supposed to live in a developed country (not developing), yet they are now being forced, by unnecessary inflow of wai khor ren, to accept a lower standard of living.

In light of your perspective, I think you fit right in this society. Please stay and experience the bitterness of the sinkees.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Jane, Appreciated you took notice of my post. Its the following argument from BigFuck that I was trying to get. Scroobal also made a similar argument as well later. I never said you have to reply to every post. I did not even mention that the post was just meant for you to see. In a forum, free-form discussion is as it is.

7. Post #36 Ash007

Of all the posts, this is the one I am most annoyed with. I DO HAVE A JOB! I NEED TO WORK. If I respond to every single post – some of which are nonsensical, I will not do justice to anyone but to create unnecessary forum spam.

"I do not agree that Australia is a better place. Whilst the quality of life may be better, it all depends on whether a person of my age who is young, ambitious and hardworking can get just enrichment on a meritocratic basis. I shall ignore your other emotive comments as it does not value-add to this discussion."

When you analyze these lines, you know this is a troll and fake. Even if it is indeed a foreigner, there is another local PAP dog sitting next to it for the edits. No one from China who has lived in the 3 places and only spend 5 year in SGP would write in this manner of English which shows an education in British English with idiosyncrasies of some who has live in Singapore for a much longer period of time. A direct translation of this back to Mandarin already indicates something fishy. I have lived and worked with PRCs for years. I know well enough a fake when I see one. I have worked and lived with kids of PRCs who have never seen a day of China. I know how they look too.

Here is a couple of mandarin translation from eatshitndie so that you get to understand it in your own native language. That is, assuming you are from Shanghai.

abalone - chee bye, 鲍鱼,or more accurately, 屄 for the chee bye translation which happens to be hokkien or 闽南语。 I believe its the same slang in CHina as well. So no surprise there.
blurfuck - I beleive the closest translation to this would be 傻屄, as it has the closest meaning to the local slang.
chee bye - vagina, 屄
Kan ni nah bu chow chee bye - 肏你妈的臭屄。 you might have heard this being abbreviated as KNNBCCB here and else where in Singapore.

Finally, whether you are a genuine PRC from Shanghai, or a local stoodge for the regime, it doesn't matter to me. I always welcome alternative views here. It makes the forum "livelier". Hope you enjoy your stay in here. I genuinely believe people like you would make this place more interesting.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
welcum, oops i mean welcome to sbf, introduce you to some sbf-speak, so to speak, so that you don't need to constantly refer to an online thesaurus or sbf dicktionary (which is non-existent)
Your linguistic band aid will help this (purported) FT to integrate. :p

FTalent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally, whether you are a genuine PRC from Shanghai, or a local stoodge for the regime, it doesn't matter to me. I always welcome alternative views here. It makes the forum "livelier". Hope you enjoy your stay in here. I genuinely believe people like you would make this place more interesting.

Dear Ash 007

Thanks for welcoming alternative views. I will not respond to offensive posts or offensive language as this only create more negative energies.

Jane

FTalent

Alfrescian
Loyal

In the 3 cities you cited or in those countries, they don't have 40 percent of the population consisting of foreigners. Our infrastructure or economy is unable to support 5 million people! With excessive demand and limited supply, everything goes up, except for jobs for the locals.

Life maybe tougher in Shanghai but why should sinkees have to go back to that state? Sinkees are supposed to live in a developed country (not developing), yet they are now being forced, by unnecessary inflow of wai khor ren, to accept a lower standard of living.

In light of your perspective, I think you fit right in this society. Please stay and experience the bitterness of the sinkees.

Dear Winniepegjets

On the 40%, I beg to differ. America is a country built from immigration. So Singapore will be likewise.

On Infrastructure, I agree. This results because of the lack of forsight of planners. Perhaps the lack of "challenge" in the government service has to do with it. It's good that they are doing something about it. You can imagine that in most emerging countries, one pays 40% tax and see no improvements in infrastructure. At least over in Singapore, this is not the case.

On your last point - please bear in mind that a developed country will becoming developing if there is no growth. I am not saying that growth is everything, but you should also appreciate that growth is an important determinant in quality of life, gracious society and lots of other good things are triggered or related to growth.

Jane

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Not sure if PAP is competent. But I believe in any country, there are always different views for supporting any party.

2. There is always corruption everywhere.

3. Exploited? Perhaps.

4. Salaries? No I don't agree.

5. COE? Can't help you. I do not own a car in Singapore. But it is definitely expensive to own one here.

There u see... caught u here..most likely u r with the pappies....fishing for info here.

the reply shows your political stance and affilation..
Anyway just another pointer here for u to discuss.

here the govt overwhelmed and stifle enterprise..
they hold the power too long .

even our PM is disgusting...he does not want us to give him a report card. unike the SCMP in Hk which reported freely on Donald Tsang and the continous slump in his popular rating.

Here the scum 154th press is most helpful to the ruling elite.

even kindergarten kids get report card.