• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Moving to China for good

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find it sad that after 43 years of national day parades that S'poreans remain
not worldly-wise, unthinking and forever on their moral high grounds. Is this
the fault of the government or our own fault? Why are we in such a state of
affair? Materially, we are much richer but mentally, we seemed to have not
improve anymore than our forefathers who came here...

Guess who coined the term "world crass" in almost everything in SGP?

SGPlians kena pyscho already lah lol.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro, if you plan to stay there for long better buy a unit, few yrs back you can make $...:biggrin:
cos china pick up very fast.

dun sabo lah, so many real estate co closing down their branches because they grew too fast...

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
We've all work with our share of coarse, irritating and unethical Chinese.
Anyone or everyone who have ever work in China would have come across
them - directly or indirectly.

Have you also work with your share of younger Chinese? Bright,
highly-intelligent, ambitious, hard-working, efficient, honest and fore-sighted.
Some of them can put a lot of our local youth to shame.

The new generation will conquer poor quality and corruption in a matter of
time.

What I worry more is the new tide of ultra-nationalism sweeping China. Try
to go into a debate with a mainland Chinese into the negative aspect of
China. A normally calm and fair Chinese can become a flag-waving, fiery-eye
and ultra-protective of a new China that can do no wrong!

Talk to any mainland Chinese in Singapore. After one or two weeks of natural
curiosity, you'll notice that they'll start comparing with mainland China and
insist that a lot of things are better back home.

There's no wrong in national pride. However, national pride that goes to the
extreme in which one's own country can do no wrong can become dangerous.

there is a reason for this behaviour, they believed they are not treated fairly by the western media, they are trying to defend their country in this regard. one fine examples is the Tibet issue, there were fake photos of the police beating the monks as reported in many of the websites. this were later clarified and they were actually Nepalise police instead of Chinese police. Maybe they are not used to the western media blowing out of proportion to increase readership..etc.

http://www.anti-cnn.com/

i was in the States when the Chinese plane collided with an American spy plane over Hainan. Man the press in the US was really having a field day, blaming the Chinese for everything, like they themselves have no responsibilities or what-soever. Just imagine how would the US feels if a Chinese spy plane were to fly so close to the California?

historically, China has been bullied by "western powers" especially during the late Chin dynasty, and the images of their countrymen being bullied and their country being cut out and distributed to foreigners did leave a lasting negative impression in their perception of western powers interferring with their country.

one the issue of Tibet again, many western media believe Tibet should be free from Chinese rule. but the Chinese argument is that after it is free, Tibet will revert back to the old tradition of Tibetan rule. How free could that be?

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-09/25/content_10108521.htm

Last edited:

TEACHER

I like Sanya, the coastal city at the Southern tip of Hainan Island. Nice weather (not so cold), nice sea .. cheap food and lodging. Lots of night life, night snacks areas .. etc:smile:

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal
i want to retire in china when i am 35.

no milk but i drink from mei mei's neh neh everyday.

pump one new mei mei every week until i am 70 yr old dirty old man

theunforgotten

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am seriously contemplating at least to move to China for work in the next 3-4 years time.

I am considering my options , but it will most likely be near to major cities and ports like HK, Shanghai or SZ due to my work nature : Marine IT

I am keen and open to new ideas as well as work with locals , i seriously do think that China is rising and there is much more educated and smart professionals who speak better english than many of us here in Singapore.

Last edited:

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with most of what you said, but do you think that S'poreans still have a language advantage over the Chinese, in that we know both English and Mandarin?
Are S'poreans still useful in being the language teachers of the Chinese or being the bridge between the Chinese and the westerners?

No. For English teachers, they are looking for native speakers. That means those with blonde hair and blue eyes. We don't have to teach them Chinese.

stealthie

everyone knows China is big just just what does this vastness imply? it means that China at this stage is highly uneven in terms of economic development. yes expenses in China is relatively cheap if converted back to SGD. For example, SGD2000/month is close to RMB10K/month. This tends to hide that fact that China is actually expensive in terms of purchasing power.

A middle manager in China versus a middle manager in Singapore (their salary is numerically the same), the Singapore manager has greater purchasing power than the China manager.

Just to draw a few examples, so please do not attack the examples themselves:
1) a can of made in China Coca-Cola 330ml: RMB2-4/can, depending on where you buy.
2) 1L pack of Huiyuan brand (very famous, Coca-cola launched takeover bid for it) fruit juice: RMB10-RMB15/pack
3) local China pork: RMB28-35/kg (if converted into SGD about the same)
4) made in China Chevrolet Spark cheapest option: abt RMB 40000(list price, not on the road price)
5) 90sq metre size apartment (70 year lease): depends on where you buy, it can range from RMB 200K to more than RMB500K. No HDB style flats in China except for the very poor.
6) 32" LCD TV Konka brand: RMB 4000.

say a typical fresh grad in China, who lives with his parents, say in 1st tier cities earn about RMB5000/month. The above items (exclude housing) cost a higher % of his income than a SG fresh grad in Singapore.

Assume a SG fresh grad stay with parents and earn SGD3000/month.
Here are the prices for the same type of items in Singapore:
1) Coca cola: SGD1-1.50/can
2) 1L pack of Fruit juice: SGD4-8/1L pack
3) pork: SGD 4-6/kg (my estimate, I don't do marketing in SG, pls correct if wrong)
4) Chevrolet Spark cheapest option: abt SGD40K also
5) 90 sq m HDB apartment (99year lease): SGD200k-SGD300k can get one. Note I am not comparing condo units because I want to highlight the entry level housing options available.
6) 32" major Japanese brand LCD TV: getting cheaper everyday, I think SGD 1200 can get one from Sony/Panasonic/Toshiba already.

All things taken in, the general picture which emerges is that purchasing power wise, Singapore is better. But if get Singapore pay and spend in China, then China has an edge(but not very big) over Singapore. Bear in mind that many mass market branded items (like Levi's, Nike, Prada etc) cost about the same in Singapore and China.

My 1 cent worth.

desmankuwe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shanghai and Beijing are becoming very expensive and similar to HK and S'pore.
I actually like Chengdu and Chongqing for the food, environment and women, but the recent earthquake worried me.

Chongqing and Chengdu are quite safe from quakes, if you are worried, then all parts of China will feel the shake if something happened around...
Food business should be good in Chongqing, if someone dare to set up chicken rice speciality shop, char kuay teow, even carrot cake or bak kut teh.

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
everyone knows China is big just just what does this vastness imply? it means that China at this stage is highly uneven in terms of economic development. yes expenses in China is relatively cheap if converted back to SGD. For example, SGD2000/month is close to RMB10K/month. This tends to hide that fact that China is actually expensive in terms of purchasing power.

A middle manager in China versus a middle manager in Singapore (their salary is numerically the same), the Singapore manager has greater purchasing power than the China manager.

Just to draw a few examples, so please do not attack the examples themselves:
1) a can of made in China Coca-Cola 330ml: RMB2-4/can, depending on where you buy.
2) 1L pack of Huiyuan brand (very famous, Coca-cola launched takeover bid for it) fruit juice: RMB10-RMB15/pack
3) local China pork: RMB28-35/kg (if converted into SGD about the same)
4) made in China Chevrolet Spark cheapest option: abt RMB 40000(list price, not on the road price)
5) 90sq metre size apartment (70 year lease): depends on where you buy, it can range from RMB 200K to more than RMB500K. No HDB style flats in China except for the very poor.
6) 32" LCD TV Konka brand: RMB 4000.

say a typical fresh grad in China, who lives with his parents, say in 1st tier cities earn about RMB5000/month. The above items (exclude housing) cost a higher % of his income than a SG fresh grad in Singapore.

Assume a SG fresh grad stay with parents and earn SGD3000/month.
Here are the prices for the same type of items in Singapore:
1) Coca cola: SGD1-1.50/can
2) 1L pack of Fruit juice: SGD4-8/1L pack
3) pork: SGD 4-6/kg (my estimate, I don't do marketing in SG, pls correct if wrong)
4) Chevrolet Spark cheapest option: abt SGD40K also
5) 90 sq m HDB apartment (99year lease): SGD200k-SGD300k can get one. Note I am not comparing condo units because I want to highlight the entry level housing options available.
6) 32" major Japanese brand LCD TV: getting cheaper everyday, I think SGD 1200 can get one from Sony/Panasonic/Toshiba already.

All things taken in, the general picture which emerges is that purchasing power wise, Singapore is better. But if get Singapore pay and spend in China, then China has an edge(but not very big) over Singapore. Bear in mind that many mass market branded items (like Levi's, Nike, Prada etc) cost about the same in Singapore and China.

My 1 cent worth.

It is the indirect expenses which is high in singapore.... my water bill is only rmb12 (sgd2.40) a month per person.... and I don't get to be forced to pay tv fees if I don't subscribe to the network....

The pap is smart to make sure the masses have enough to eat but work like slaves.... it is no different from the low end industry in china which provides lodging and food but low pay and work long hours.... the pap is just exploiting its citizens for the rich foreigners in red dot.

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chongqing and Chengdu are quite safe from quakes, if you are worried, then all parts of China will feel the shake if something happened around...
Food business should be good in Chongqing, if someone dare to set up chicken rice speciality shop, char kuay teow, even carrot cake or bak kut teh.

it is not easy to set up shop in china with all the rules and regulations..... and better be careful of con man like tong hyui koh... :biggrin::biggrin:

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
historically, China has been bullied by "western powers" especially during the late Chin dynasty, and the images of their countrymen being bullied

Perhaps, China deserved to be bullied as the chinese government has been bullying her own chinese citizens all the way from Chin Dynasty to the Manchus to the present communist government.

desmankuwe

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is not easy to set up shop in china with all the rules and regulations..... and better be careful of con man like tong hyui koh... :biggrin::biggrin:

U r right on con men, but they are everywhere in the world...
It's easy to set up a business in China as long you trust the cashier...
Just found out about HR recruitment in China sending PRC to Singapore, lucrative business for serious players.
Food business is always the easiest to manage, especially in China. Now MLM is opening up over there...
I am open for any opportunity there.

stealthie

ahbengsong:
you are using your SG earning power to live in China, of course it is very cheap. But if you take a local China package, it won't be cheap.

It's like how expats in Singapore, with their generous remuneration(getting less now), find Singapore cheap. But Singaporeans will definitely not say the same.

Anyway, wherever anyone hopes to live, I hope they enjoy it. I still prefer Singapore to China.

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
ahbengsong:
you are using your SG earning power to live in China, of course it is very cheap. But if you take a local China package, it won't be cheap.

It's like how expats in Singapore, with their generous remuneration(getting less now), find Singapore cheap. But Singaporeans will definitely not say the same.

Anyway, wherever anyone hopes to live, I hope they enjoy it. I still prefer Singapore to China.

Its comparative.... if I pay much less in sgp for china water, it means china can provide a better standard of living for the same dollar... nothing to do with currency differences...