• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Millennium 'beggars ' at shopping mall

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

Just want to hear young beggars is getting common in Singapore ?

At a heartland mall yesterday , My wife was tapped on the shoulder by a teenage girl asking for $4 and giving some BS reasons.. Today , at the Same mall, I was approached by a English speaking guy asking for $2 giving some crap reasons.. On both occasions we just politely rejected and walk away.

Is this a new phenomenon in Singapore ? I was quite stunned to see why abled bodied youngsters have become like this.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Foreigners begging here are making a good fortune here. Why can't sinkees compete with them? Sinkees should support sinkees and let the foreign beggars resort to other means to live.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's so polite of them, asking.

In some "developed" cities elsewhere in the world, they'd suddenly appear in front of ya brandishing a bowie knife or a pistol and demanding your wallet! The citizens here must have been well groomed by the courtesy campaign!

Cheers!

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Is this a new phenomenon in Singapore ? I was quite stunned to see why abled bodied youngsters have become like this.
not new ... last time oso haf ...

> 20 yrs ago, got 1 kid asked me 50 cents 2 make a fone call ...

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I used to live in Sinkieland, I used to give between $3 and $5 when approached.

But now here in the US, like what Agoraphobic described, I steer clear of strangers who may brandish a pistol in your face.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While I was driving in Toronto & stopped at a junction, someone started to wash the car's windshield window.
At least the person was doing something for the $ & not actually begging.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am still waiting for ball-less sinkies to show the middle finger on such sinkie losers.. This kind of thing no need to politely reject..

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While I was driving in Toronto & stopped at a junction, someone started to wash the car's windshield window.
At least the person was doing something for the $ & not actually begging.
msia got jaga kereta ... sum of dem oso gif u xtra servis by rubbing ur windshield wif a dirty rag ...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
msia got jaga kereta ... sum of dem oso gif u xtra servis by rubbing ur windshield wif a dirty rag ...

This was common in Spore in the old days e.g. in the 60's . Back then parking was free & you sometimes had people who would jaga a parking lot to prevent theft, vandalism,.. Not expensive & they were happy with 10 to 20 cents. Some would help open & close the car door. Something like a valet service :smile:

This was a time when some banks had Sikh guards guarding the premises. They would have beds & sleep at the banks.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Foreigners begging here are making a good fortune here. Why can't sinkees compete with them? Sinkees should support sinkees and let the foreign beggars resort to other means to live.

Can complete but must put in some effort like act sickly or handicap lah.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ask and it shall be given. Seek and Yee shall find. Dun be stingy. Sharing is good for your soul. Just paper and digits! Conceived by men. If you can afford it why not?

Think of it from his point of view. One has to lower down one self esteem to beg. It is not easy.

If you feel uncomfortable, practise in church regularly until you are ready.

Last edited:

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are cases who abused sinkies kindness and bought house or car.

It seems profitable.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought this thread was about the people who wear jackets with the labels Propnex and ERA standing at the malls.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
...Is this a new phenomenon in Singapore ? I was quite stunned to see why abled bodied youngsters have become like this.

Kids on dependant pass or whatever type of passes that pappies designed to let foreigners bring in their wives and kids to live in sinkie land.

Not enough money to support the kids. Parents are then told to go sell tissue papers or collect card boards and kids to beg for pocket money in the streets.

Pappies aware of this begging but what can they do? As usual, it is not their problem.