• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MHA Power Struggle, Conspiracy and Collateral Damage

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very unusual?
I cannot understand why the govt did not promote KBH to 2PS?
Actually nothing unusual. Who likes him and who is the mountain behind is important. I think PO was DD(ISD) and became PS(MTI??) without becoming a director. He was from same school as BL and I think is 8 years younger.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually nothing unusual. Who likes him and who is the mountain behind is important. I think PO was DD(ISD) and became PS(MTI??) without becoming a director. He was from same school as BL and I think is 8 years younger.

If we compare PO and BL, the greatest 'loser'would be Chiang Chie Foo then. Both BL and PO were his DDs when he was DISD. PO is now Head Civil Service. PO's mountain - LHL and Lim Siong Guan.
Yes, RI and 6-7yrs age difference.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
PO is on a totally different stream from the rest and well before he went to MHA/ISD. He is on a similar scheme as the former JooChiat MP who also went to ISD. There are different career path. You could tell as he was already on significant GLC boards. His strengths has been on policy formulation, identified and groomed by LSG. Sister however had a problem with Jayakumar and alot of tension in the family. Later there was a conflict of interest in DBS and she left.

If we compare PO and BL, the greatest 'loser'would be Chiang Chie Foo then. Both BL and PO were his DDs when he was DISD. PO is now Head Civil Service. PO's mountain - LHL and Lim Siong Guan.
Yes, RI and 6-7yrs age difference.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now to touch on TS and the intent of his thread. I am actually surprised that many here did not seem to see where this was going and I suspect the salacious details was quite juicy. TS is attacking CPIB and implying that the couple and the others are innocent and the whole thing is a result of a conspiracy and rivalry within MHA.

Its obvious that either TS or someone close to him is implicated and out of desperation has given out details which has no or very little link to the actual investigation.

Firstly there is no conspiracy or payback in MHA. A report was lodged against the husband and it led to an even wider investigation that is now hitting other parts of the Civil Service as the couple were handling the public sector which is vast. The first fall out is the recommendation to proceed with 2 clowns in MHA.

I am sure we all agree that its time to throw out the rubbish. Tan Tee How and Teo Chean Hean are the top 2 in MHA and they are brand new and have no past or prior baggage to carry except for TTH who was head of ICA nearly 13 years ago. He thn went to the Health Sector

Eric Tan is not one of BL chaps. ET is closer to SK. During the Marxist conspiracy, BL was case officer for Teo Soh Lung was too soft on her. Eventually SK had to handle her. Despite being one of the blurrest, she was detained second longest. ET is also tougher in that sense as director of CPIB he is not going to take things lying down. ET was interviewed by PM, ESM and President before going to PSC. PS in PMO has no say or control except for ordering stationary at budget time.

Wong Choon Mann is a seasoned investigator and court prosecutor. His posting was to beef the skills of the CPIB. He is not an associate of any of those involved. Though he reported NBG in CID, he was in CID for years and had reported to others. Paul Lim has nothing to do with this case in terms of friendship or the investigation. The recommendation was to go for disciplnary as a court case was untenable. Paul is not even associated with an of these guys.

The other unconnected person with this investigation is NJH. NJH is has got nothing to with any of these. NJH is probably the most detached of the whole lot. Sometime I wonder if he is smarter than the whole civil service as he does not give a damn. All the CPs in Singapore history have done poorly and caused enough trouble that the post is basically ceremonial as the PSs of the past seem to deal directly wiht Dept Heads. Even GYH was acting for 7 years.

The loss of investigation papers is also a major grey area as the circumstances do not gel. He said that it was stolen from the boot of his car at Plaza Singapura. I am told that nobody takes IPs home except to tidy it up for closure. The IPs were active cases and there is little that can be done on it while away from the office. You can't take statements in your home, you need special forms for various puroses and these are in the office. Only AG chambers prosecutors take IPs home to prepare their court cases as they go thru the statements and other documentation.

The only reason he became a CP is that is all that they had in barrel at stock time. The good ones had left the scheme to other better schemes. I don't think he was less capable but he was just not interested in Police work and actively avoided investigations as shown by his postings.

It obvious the the press has been given the green light to publicise but the press informant is likely from SCDF and not CPIB. It revolves around the woman and nothing else. The investigation is wider. If it come from CPIB, the information would have revealed other arrest. I suspect the new brooms want to send a message and allowed SPH to publish it. The informant was not even aware that NBG was arrested earlier.

Frankly I think it time to clean the place up. The Couple should also be crucified for contaminating and corrupting the public sector. All those who who enjoyed their patronage for the fun of it should also pay the price.

The big question is will the other ministers agree to take the same path where their ministries are concerned. The other question is the suspension of the firm from tendering or participating govt as they did to Siemens and Jardine Engineeering. The couple will also be out from public sector.

There is an expectation from Singaporeans is that the Public sector is squeakly clean in view of the high pay and also because of its past history. Casting aspersions on CPIB and individuals who are not connected is quite insidious.

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When KBH was Supt, BL was ASP. Latter was always behind, being a non-scholar. I suspect the gap closed in the late 90s or early 2000. BL overtook KBH was he was made 2PS while KBH remained as CP. BL was appointed PS thereafter.

The fact that KBH was appointed as Sr DS merely confirmed the fact that he didn't make it as CP. They could have saved his face with a 2PS appointment. Pay wise, no significant difference. But KBH had no choice. Who wants him outside the civil service?

If my memory serves me right, KBH and CCK were the second batch of SAFOS (first batch includes Lee Hsien Loong, Boey Tak Hap [Brigade S3 during my time in NS]). Although I was not at 1 SIR, I recall that apparently due to their men going AWOL, KBH and CCK, being Company Commanders at that time, were transferred to SPF (could be as ASP?, which resulted in the birth of of the SPF Overseas Scholarship). If you indicated that KBH did not make it as CP, I am puzzled why they left him as CP for such a long time.

With respect to KBH, I agree with you that he would have no where to go (to work), if the govt did not keep him as Sr DS (perhaps, I would venture to guess that his DCP also has no where to go, and therefore, became some Director of Special Projects in MHA, if that is where he moved to, after his stint as DCP?). With respect, I submit that the govt. did not give KBH face or did not save his face, by not appointing KBH as 2PS in MHA.

Although BL is very capable and impressive (and decisive), as a non scholar (whether is ISD, SPF or SAF), very very few ever gets promoted beyond Superintendent or Colonel. Could you please enlighten me as to why and how BL is so good? Thank you.

During my last visit to SG about 5 years ago, I met with a first batch officer (NS) from the SAF, and we had a very good chat, and we still keep in touch. I met him through Sammyboy forum. I would be delighted to meet with [Golden Dragon], [scroobal] and a few others. If you and those gentlemen ever visit Toronto, I would gladly meet you folks for a meal and/or drinks.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Who is PO?
If PO is 8 years younger than BL, I would not know him from school.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
During my last visit to SG about 5 years ago, I met with a first batch officer (NS) from the SAF, and we had a very good chat, and we still keep in touch. I met him through Sammyboy forum. I would be delighted to meet with [Golden Dragon], [scroobal] and a few others. If you and those gentlemen ever visit Toronto, I would gladly meet you folks for a meal and/or drinks.

Cheers!

Was there ever any NSmen who entered Ist batch OCT? I thought they were all regulars as NS came into being about a year later.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was there ever any NSmen who entered Ist batch OCT? I thought they were all regulars as NS came into being about a year later.

Based on what I know, there were a few NS men. I have an autographed copy of the book (One of a Kind) published by the First Batch Officers.

ruffles

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you.

I have no idea who he is. He is probably at RI several years after the 1970's.

Any information on his career path, and where he is now?

http://app.psd.gov.sg/data/Press release - Appointment of HCS and PS.pdf

Peter Ong appointed HCS

9 Mr Peter Ong will be appointed as Head of Civil Service, PS (Special Duties) in the PMO and PS (National Security and Intelligence Co-ordination), in addition to his current appointment as PS(Finance), on 1 September 2010.

10 Mr Peter Ong, 49, graduated with a Bachelor of Economics (Honours) degree from the University of Adelaide on a Colombo Plan Scholarship. He also holds a Master in Business Administration degree from Stanford University.

11 Mr Ong spent the early part of his career in the Administrative Service in the Ministry of Communications and Information and the Ministry of Trade and Industry. In 1993, on his return from postgraduate studies, he was appointed Deputy Dean of the Civil Service College. He held this position till 1995 when he was posted to the Ministry of Home Affairs. In 1996, Mr Ong was appointed DS (Trade and Industry). He was seconded to Temasek Holdings as its Executive Vice-President from 1998 to 2000.

12 Mr Ong was appointed Second PS (Defence) in 2001. In July 2002, he became PS (Transport) before becoming PS (Trade and Industry) in 2005. In 2008, he was appointed concurrently as Second PS (Finance). In October 2009, Mr Ong was appointed PS (Finance).

Last edited:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Based on what I know, there were a few NS men. I have an autographed copy of the book (One of a Kind) published by the First Batch Officers.

I find that hard to believe. Here are excerpts taken from http://www.mindef.gov.sg/safti/pointer/back/monograp/mono_cld/CLDmono.pdf

“On 1st June 1966, the first batch of officer cadets reported to SAFTI for training. These 300 men were selected from 2,500 applicants. All had volunteered; we had no National Service then. Like Singapore then, our armed forces were in their infancy. We had no tradition of military service, and those who joined the armed forces enjoyed few incentives or perks. But these men had the pioneering spirit. They savoured the sense of adventure that comes from being the first, of doing their best and blazing a trail for others to follow. They were training to be leaders of the men to defend our new republic.”8 Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, 1990.

"Hence, the urgent effort by the early Singapore Government to introduce National Service during the period from 1966 to 1967. In November 1966, Dr Goh Keng Swee hinted at the Government’s decision to adopt National Service when he announced that all new government and statutory board employees had to undergo military training. In February 1967, PM Lee announced the government’s intention to introduce National Service, and a “National Service (Amendment) Bill” was introduced in Parliament for debate in the same month. From 28 March to 18 April 67, some 9,000 eligible men were registered for National Service. By August 1967, the first batch of 900 men was enlisted to serve in the SAF."

"A significant event that preceded the enlistment of the first batch of national servicemen in August 1967 was the promulgation of an SAF Code of Conduct (COC) and a public Declaration on 14 July 67 that spelled out the relationship between the SAF and Singapore society."

You are saying something different from what the above which are official records. As far as I know, it was only after 1967 that NS was implemented. The first batch of 300 men were all volunteers, and this can be confirmed easily as most of the 1st batch officers are still around.

To attest this, all recruits were required to undergo 3 months basic training and another 3 months Section Leaders training before OCT which is another 6 months training. Therefore, if the first intake of NSmen was in July 1967, then the earliest they could join OCT will be in December 1967, and their POP therefore will be in June 1968. That will mean at least 4th Batch OCT.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://app.psd.gov.sg/data/Press release - Appointment of HCS and PS.pdf

Peter Ong appointed HCS

9 Mr Peter Ong will be appointed as Head of Civil Service, PS (Special Duties) in the PMO and PS (National Security and Intelligence Co-ordination), in addition to his current appointment as PS(Finance), on 1 September 2010.

10 Mr Peter Ong, 49, graduated with a Bachelor of Economics (Honours) degree from the University of Adelaide on a Colombo Plan Scholarship. He also holds a Master in Business Administration degree from Stanford University.

11 Mr Ong spent the early part of his career in the Administrative Service in the Ministry of Communications and Information and the Ministry of Trade and Industry. In 1993, on his return from postgraduate studies, he was appointed Deputy Dean of the Civil Service College. He held this position till 1995 when he was posted to the Ministry of Home Affairs. In 1996, Mr Ong was appointed DS (Trade and Industry). He was seconded to Temasek Holdings as its Executive Vice-President from 1998 to 2000.

12 Mr Ong was appointed Second PS (Defence) in 2001. In July 2002, he became PS (Transport) before becoming PS (Trade and Industry) in 2005. In 2008, he was appointed concurrently as Second PS (Finance). In October 2009, Mr Ong was appointed PS (Finance).

Thank you very kindly.

I thought that the Colombo Plan Scholarship ended some time in the 1970's. But I could be wrong.

He is not that many years younger than me, but I left SG in 1981.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I find that hard to believe. Here are excerpts taken from http://www.mindef.gov.sg/safti/pointer/back/monograp/mono_cld/CLDmono.pdf

“On 1st June 1966, the first batch of officer cadets reported to SAFTI for training. These 300 men were selected from 2,500 applicants. All had volunteered; we had no National Service then. Like Singapore then, our armed forces were in their infancy. We had no tradition of military service, and those who joined the armed forces enjoyed few incentives or perks. But these men had the pioneering spirit. They savoured the sense of adventure that comes from being the first, of doing their best and blazing a trail for others to follow. They were training to be leaders of the men to defend our new republic.”8 Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, 1990.

"Hence, the urgent effort by the early Singapore Government to introduce National Service during the period from 1966 to 1967. In November 1966, Dr Goh Keng Swee hinted at the Government’s decision to adopt National Service when he announced that all new government and statutory board employees had to undergo military training. In February 1967, PM Lee announced the government’s intention to introduce National Service, and a “National Service (Amendment) Bill” was introduced in Parliament for debate in the same month. From 28 March to 18 April 67, some 9,000 eligible men were registered for National Service. By August 1967, the first batch of 900 men was enlisted to serve in the SAF."

"A significant event that preceded the enlistment of the first batch of national servicemen in August 1967 was the promulgation of an SAF Code of Conduct (COC) and a public Declaration on 14 July 67 that spelled out the relationship between the SAF and Singapore society."

You are saying something different from what the above which are official records. As far as I know, it was only after 1967 that NS was implemented. The first batch of 300 men were all volunteers, and this can be confirmed easily as most of the 1st batch officers are still around.

To attest this, all recruits were required to undergo 3 months basic training and another 3 months Section Leaders training before OCT which is another 6 months training. Therefore, if the first intake of NSmen was in July 1967, then the earliest they could join OCT will be in December 1967, and their POP therefore will be in June 1968. That will mean at least 4th Batch OCT.

You and the official records are correct.

I am aware that NS was introduced in 1967.

The matter which led me to believe that there were NS men in the first batch of OCS, was the gentlemen whom I met, who was a not a regular, but volunteered to be in the first batch. He served only 3 years. NS men who were officers had to serve 3 years, whereas those who were not officers only had to serve 2 years.

Last edited:

I_hv_adream

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro, post here to share first.Best if u have cecilia's photo tool!".

JusticeMHA,

Check ur pm.

Da IT lady's image may have been tarnished, but she has to take some blame.

Der are stories of her and 2 married male colleagues Koh and Lim in OraliCker.

Pls help me confirm some details b4 I post raw.

RAW IS WAR!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there was a 1st batch of officer cadets in 66, and there was the first batch of officer cadets under the standard military course (smc) later, in which lhl was in. mindef pretty much designed and created the smc in anticipation of lhl coming into safti.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there was a 1st batch of officer cadets in 66, and there was the first batch of officer cadets under the standard military course (smc) later, in which lhl was in. mindef pretty much designed and created the smc in anticipation of lhl coming into safti.

LHL started NS before 1 SMC, whereas his brother LHY was in 3 SMC.

By the way, it appears that NJC was introduced for LHL.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You and the official records are correct.

I am aware that NS was introduced in 1967.

The matter which led me to believe that there were NS men in the first batch of OCS, was the gentlemen whom I met, who was a not a regular, but volunteered to be in the first batch. He served only 3 years. NS men who were officers had to serve 3 years, whereas those who were not officers only had to serve 2 years.

Volunteers are regulars and not NSmen. Serving 3 years is an STE(Short-Termed Enlistment)option which some took. Some may not want to carry on serving while others signed on as permanent.