• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

M1 3G network down!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Get a new simcard and a new number lah...

Only way is to consider changing Telcos to either Starhub or Singtel.
It's not an easy thing to do since I would have to notify my banks, friends, .... etc of the number change.

I still have a landline but can't use it to send & receive SMS.

After going through all this there is no guarantee that this problem will not occure with Starhub or Singtel:eek:
So many cock ups in Spore lately. I wonder what is going to breakdown next :biggrin:

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've M1 Mobile lines, M1 Data Plan, SingTel Broadband + Mio TV + Home line and Star Hub Cable TV.

I had thought of combining all services into a single provider but with each provider having problems from time to time, the meager savings are not worth it. With multi providers, I give myself more options when there are the inevitable service failures that will occur with each provider.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is whatsapp..& don't forget that there is a rare communication instrument called the PAY PHONE. They should re- introduce the pager back, so that when we have such breakdown like these..we can still page our contacts..." simi lan kar pager?".

What is a PAY PHONE:biggrin:

I live in one of the blackout areas so I must go to a non-affected area to check whether I have received any important SMS. This is progress Spore style :p

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's not an easy thing to do since I would have to notify my banks, friends, .... etc of the number change.

i thought can retain number with telcos change for sometime already ?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I still have a landline but can't use it to send & receive SMS.

After going through all this there is no guarantee that this problem will not occure with Starhub or Singtel:eek:
So many cock ups in Spore lately. I wonder what is going to breakdown next :biggrin:

You can still retain your old number. Now they allow number porting the only problem is you need to compensate them if you are on contract and break it. Most ppl would be on the 2 yr contract.

If you have skype you can send sms but i think it's not cheap to send sms i think around sg 12 cents to send one.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can still retain your old number. Now they allow number porting the only problem is you need to compensate them if you are on contract and break it. Most ppl would be on the 2 yr contract.

If you have skype you can send sms but i think it's not cheap to send sms i think around sg 12 cents to send one.

Been with M1 for 10+ years & never bothered with their "offers" I've found that you can get phones as cheap from places like Mustaffa without a contract.

I'm going to look into one of those pre-paid cards. Maybe get two of them from different telcos.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Been with M1 for 10+ years & never bothered with their "offers" I've found that you can get phones as cheap from places like Mustaffa without a contract.

I'm going to look into one of those pre-paid cards. Maybe get two of them from different telcos.

If you're looking at pre paid cards then no problem at all.

Anyway i think this is a one off problem things should be working by now.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you're looking at pre paid cards then no problem at all.

Anyway i think this is a one off problem things should be working by now.

It's almost 12pm and the problem is still not resolved, at least not in this area.

I'll have to call M1 to see if they have an estimate when the network will be fixed.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's almost 12pm and the problem is still not resolved, at least not in this area.

I'll have to call M1 to see if they have an estimate when the network will be fixed.

what area are you in? I heard south west and west has problems and some ppl in toa payoh have problems too. Mine was working since last night and even had a pretty fast 3G speed too.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what area are you in? I heard south west and west has problems and some ppl in toa payoh have problems too. Mine was working since last night and even had a pretty fast 3G speed too.

Can confirm because I am in one of those affected areas.

Will be going downtown to check my sms's.
If they can't fix the problem by today. It's goodbye to M1. I don't like to be tied down by a contract & it's now time to exercise that freedom.

The biggest problem will be notifying people of a new tel number. That problem has prevented me from switching.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can confirm because I am in one of those affected areas.

Will be going downtown to check my sms's.
If they can't fix the problem by today. It's goodbye to M1. I don't like to be tied down by a contract & it's now time to exercise that freedom.

The biggest problem will be notifying people of a new tel number. That problem has prevented me from switching.

So you won't be porting your number over? I think it's not worth paying the cancellation fees of the contract. Prepaid number would be better.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So you won't be porting your number over? I think it's not worth paying the cancellation fees of the contract. Prepaid number would be better.

Can I port my number to a prepaid number:confused:
If I can I wouldn't mind paying the $ charge.

In the future I will spending less time in Spore & so I don't need an expensive package.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can I port my number to a prepaid number:confused:
If I can I wouldn't mind paying the $ charge.

In the future I will spending less time in Spore & so I don't need an expensive package.

Nope i doubt it but you could always try asking. Now the m1 line has that long winded msg that will play before you can even select any options. They probably did that so that fewer ppl would call in.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nope i doubt it but you could always try asking. Now the m1 line has that long winded msg that will play before you can even select any options. They probably did that so that fewer ppl would call in.

That's the problem with Spore companies, they don't really want to hear from their customers:biggrin:
They only want your $$$:rolleyes: Things are getting really bad & that's why I'm looking for better alternatives.

I am willing to listen to their side of the story. However if they are going to make it difficult for me to contact them I will just drop them. M1 is not cheaper, it's just another phone company.

If you are looking at fibre connectivity you might want to consider ViewQwest. I talked to their reps & they told me they are into quality. Their URL is fibernet.sg Maybe going to the BIG companies may not be the right thing to do anymore?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's the problem with Spore companies, they don't really want to hear from their customers:biggrin:
They only want your $$$:rolleyes: Things are getting really bad & that's why I'm looking for better alternatives.

I am willing to listen to their side of the story. However if they are going to make it difficult for me to contact them I will just drop them. M1 is not cheaper, it's just another phone company.

If you are looking at fibre connectivity you might want to consider ViewQwest. I talked to their reps & they told me they are into quality. Their URL is fibernet.sg Maybe going to the BIG companies may not be the right thing to do anymore?

I am using My Republic a switch from star@#@x, so far so good the connection speed up to par...THEIR BILLING & CUSTOMER SERVICE like the usual SINkees company sucks big time, their excuses...we are NEW!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I already have fiber with starhub so there's no need to get another service but i think viewquest has very good speed over 200mbps d/l and 100mbps upload is that correct?

Nothing new about these type of sinkie govt linked companies. Just the usual shit day in and out.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I already have fiber with starhub so there's no need to get another service but i think viewquest has very good speed over 200mbps d/l and 100mbps upload is that correct?

Nothing new about these type of sinkie govt linked companies. Just the usual shit day in and out.

why people need so fast dl/ul speed at home, do some people download lot of videos 24/7 ? it can't hurt to wait a while for your downloads.

200mbps download - can you download a 5GB file in 3/4 minutes ?

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am using My Republic a switch from star@#@x, so far so good the connection speed up to par...THEIR BILLING & CUSTOMER SERVICE like the usual SINkees company sucks big time, their excuses...we are NEW!

Can't comment on their billing practises my questions were limited to the technical aspects :smile:

I expect poor customer service from ALL local companies with few exceptions e.g. Robinsons
I recently used Apples support line & it was ok but I think it was being run out of Australia.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes they offer 100 & 200Mbps & I was told that they don't rely on Singtel lines. What caught my eye was that they claim to have low latency, no cap, etc

I don't need those speeds so I didn't follow up.