• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

lousy STI

uvwxyz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually after FNN sold her beer business and lose the legal fight to Myanmar, which i do not know.

i really see no future in FNN, only one thing is their good dividend. maybe get few round dividend, then i will sell . see how.

btw, i see the volume of today of FNN, seem like retailer selling. institutions still holding, i hope.

BTW I just sold off my Tiger shares this morning all 15 lots that the other day I bought. Sold at 0.32 cents. The other day dont want to sell at 0.34 but I just got a report that recommended investors to short it until around 0.27 cents so I thought better sell off.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
DBS broke out finally. Heading 19+ to the next resistance.

bot at $14, quite high though during that time.
anyway, better than putting in the bank. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

uvwxyz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Good for us who bought.
MARKET PULSE: DBS, SMRT, OUE-CT, NOL, SembMarine, KepCorp
3 Nov 2014
KEY IDEA

DBS: Another good quarter

3Q14 net earnings came in at S$1.01b, up 17% YoY. Net Interest Margin improved from 1.60% in 3Q13 and 1.67% in 2Q14 to 1.68% in 3Q14. Non-interest Income grew 23% YoY or 21% QoQ to S$912m, giving total 3Q income of S$2.51b. Investment Banking did well and saw a more than doubling in earnings to S$94m (YoY), while Wealth Management jumped 39% to S$142m. After a slower 3Q, management is now guiding for 7-7.5% loans growth in 2014, followed by 8-10% growth in 2015.

It is also expecting NIM to stabilize at current level. For Investment Banking, the indication is that its pipeline remains healthy. Overall, we are expecting an almost 10% earnings growth in FY14, followed by 6% in FY15. We are raising our fair value estimate from S$19.90 to S$21.10. DBS remains a BUY and is our top pick in the sector. (Carmen Lee)

JackyCheung

Alfrescian
Loyal

well, dbs too expensive for me.
so that is why i buy ocbc n HL finance.

as for my BoA, just for trading . not for keeping.

JackyCheung

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/google-expected-100-billion-cash-100000324.html

Google’s Expected $100 Billion Cash Pile Prompts Call for Dividend
By Alistair Barr | The Wall Street Journal – Sat, Nov 1, 2014 6:00 PM SGT
Print
Associated Press
By the end of 2016, Google will have more than $100 billion in cash and cash-like securities, much of it earning less than 1% a year, according to top-ranked Wall Street analyst Carlos Kirjner.
That’s a problem for shareholders, the Bernstein Research analyst wrote in a note to investors Friday, because they could earn higher returns elsewhere. He would like the company to return some of the cash.
Google has argued that it needs lots of cash to stay nimble and compete with other fast-moving technology companies.
But that position will become increasingly untenable as the company’s cash mountain climbs, Kirjner wrote. Likely, it will become “embarrassing” by the end of 2016. If f the company’s management and board of directors keep making it, no one will believe them.
Google should return some of its cash to shareholders, ideally through a dividend or by repurchasing some of its shares, Kirjner advised. That would erase doubts among some investors about the commitment of co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin to creating value for long-term shareholders.
Apple faced similar questions about its giant cash position, and it has been pressured by activist investors including David Einhorn and Carl Icahn. The hardware company responded in 2012 with a plan to return some of its war chest to shareholders. It announced earlier this year more than $130 billion in dividends and stock buybacks.
Google is less exposed to investor pressure because special classes of shares give the co-founders more voting control than other shareholders over important company decisions.
Still, Google regularly discusses with its board of directors how best to manage its cash, a company spokesperson said Friday.
“As we’ve said many times, we consider our cash to be a key strategic asset. It allows us to be nimble and move quickly in a very young, competitive and constantly changing industry,” the spokesperson added.
Google CFO Patrick Pichette in late January told analysts on a conference call that Google’s board and audit committee reviewed the issue. Executives concluded that the cash position was strategically valuable. The company tries to get the best returns on its cash, he said.
Kirjner said Google should talk with its major shareholders to decide the best way to return some of its cash within about 24 months. The Google spokesperson declined to comment on whether the company had raised the issue with investors.

JackyCheung

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/us-stocks-end-turbulent-month-040614847--finance.html

US stocks end a turbulent month at a record high
Dow and S&P 500 are back at record highs as US stock market ends a wild October with a surge

Associated Press
By Ken Sweet, AP Business Writer | Associated Press – Sat, Nov 1, 2014 12:06 PM SGT
Print
RELATED CONTENT
Costumed characters distribute Hershey candies as trader Edward Curran works on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Friday, Oct. 31, 2014. U.S. stocks are opening higher following big gains in Asia after Japan made moves to rev up its economy. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)View Photo
Costumed characters distribute Hershey candies as trader Edward Curran works on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Friday, Oct. 31, 2014. U.S. …
NEW YORK (AP) -- For stock investors, there was no shortage of drama in October.
Stocks started the month modestly below a record high, only to cascade to their worst slump in two years. But after flirting with a correction, or a 10 percent drop, the U.S. market rebounded and closed at all-time highs on the last day of the month.
All told, U.S. stocks ended October solidly higher, up 2.3 percent. The Dow Jones industrial average capped the rally by rising 195.10 points, or 1.1 percent, to end at 17,390.52 on Friday. The Standard & Poor's 500 rose 23.40 points, or 1.2 percent, to 2,018.05 and the Nasdaq composite added 64.60 points, or 1.4 percent, to 4,630.74.
Both the Dow and the S&P 500 closed at record highs.
It's a remarkable turn given the month's volatility, which at times approached levels from the 2008 financial crisis. Then again, the month has an unfortunate history for unsettling moves, such as the stock market crashes of 1929 and 1987.
This October, the market's seesaw path was driven by fears that Europe's economy was slipping back into a recession, worries about plunging oil prices and concerns of possible weakness in the U.S. economy. Oh, and don't forget Ebola. Those anxieties sent the market, for the most part, straight down for two weeks.
The nadir came on Oct. 15, when the S&P 500 came with a hair's breadth of going into a correction. Investors had suspected such a drop. The last one occurred in late 2011, and historically corrections happen every 18 months or so.
But just after the market came close to going into a correction, it bounced right back. Strong U.S. corporate earnings were the primary driver of the rebound as well as signs that central banks in Japan and Europe were going to do all they could to stop their economies from dragging everyone else down with them.
"I don't think it's a surprise that we came close to a correction. We've been expecting one for a while. I think the bigger surprise has been how we rip-roared all the way back up," said Bob Doll, chief equity strategist at Nuveen Asset Management. "When you hit someone over their head with a hammer, you don't expect them to get up immediately."
U.S. companies have been, for the most part, reporting strong quarterly results the last two weeks. Corporate profits are up 7.3 percent from a year ago, according to FactSet, compared with the 4.5 percent investors had expected at the beginning of the month. And any worries about the U.S. economy earlier in the month evaporated as the data rolled in, mostly recently Thursday's data showing the U.S. economy grew at a 3.5 percent pace last quarter.
Friday's gains were driven by the Bank of Japan, which surprised investors by announcing it would increase its bond and asset purchases by 10 trillion yen to 20 trillion yen ($90.7 billion to $181.3 billion) to about 80 trillion yen ($725 billion) annually. The announcement came after data showed that the world's third-largest economy remains in the doldrums, with household spending dropping and unemployment ticking up.
Japan's move comes only two days after the U.S. Federal Reserve brought an end to its own bond-buying program. Investors have been hopeful that the European Central Bank might also start buying bonds to stimulate that region's economy by keeping interest rates low and injecting cash into the financial system. That form of stimulus is called quantitative easing, also known among investors as "QE."
"The Japanese central bank has taken the QE baton from the Fed, and equity traders couldn't be happier," said David Madden, market analyst at IG.
Japan's stock market rose 4.8 percent to the highest level since 2007.
The Japanese currency weakened dramatically following the Bank of Japan's announcement. The yen slumped 2.6 percent against the dollar to 112 yen. The yen is trading at the lowest level in more than five years. Japanese companies typically like a weak Japanese yen because it makes their exported goods cheaper abroad.
European stock markets rose broadly following the Bank of Japan's announcement on hopes that the ECB could be tempted to follow Japan's lead in stepping up stimulus measures. However, few think anything will be announced at the ECB's next policy meeting next Thursday.
"The willingness of the Bank of Japan to ease further in the fight against deflation will encourage those who think the ECB should be doing the same," said Julian Jessop, chief global economist at Capital Economics.
Britain's FTSE 100 rose 1.3 percent. France's CAC 40 jumped 2.2 percent and Germany's DAX climbed 2.3 percent.
In other markets, the price of U.S. benchmark crude oil fell 58 cents to $80.54 a barrel in New York as increasing production from OPEC members added to already high global supplies of oil.
Brent crude, used to price oil in international markets, dipped 38 cents to $85.86 in London. In other energy futures trading on the NYMEX, wholesale gasoline fell 2.6 cents to close at $2.169 a gallon, heating oil fell was flat at $2.515 a gallon and natural gas rose 4.6 cents to close at $3.873 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Bond prices fell. The yield on the U.S. 10-year Treasury note rose to 2.34 percent from 2.31 percent Thursday.
In metals trading, the price of gold fell $27 to $1,171.60 an ounce. Silver fell 31 cents to $16.11 an ounce and copper fell 2 cents to $3.05 a pound.