• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Wuqi, Was almost gonna check it out today. But my wife had other ideas.

So maybe wed/thurs i gotta do it.

Mattresses - Giant (Skudai) The 2nd floor has a furniture shop, look for Madam Ong(very friendly) and ask about the mattresses. She does give good discounts and she will help you if you are short on budget.

If its just normal foldable ones though then go to the Carrefour(very near Tebrau city) or Tesco (Tebrau city) and buy it from there.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Taken from Yahoo:
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/malaysian-metropolis-taking-shape-near-singapore-20110417-154530-833.html

A new metropolis three times the size of neighbouring Singapore is taking shape in the foothills of southern Malaysia, where officials and investors have equally huge ambitions for the city.

Dust billows across the horizon as sun-scorched construction crews lay roads, drainage canals, street lamps, power stations and other key installations for a development known as Iskandar Malaysia.

Rolling terrain once covered with palm oil plantations and bush has been bulldozed to make way for theme parks, luxury homes, international schools, hotels, hospitals, a movie studio and a business district by 2025.

In short, a new Singapore is being built in an area covering 2,217 square kilometres (887 square miles) in Johor state.

Iskandar, one of five "economic growth corridors" Malaysia is developing, was launched in 2006 and will integrate existing towns, seaports and an airport with the new projects being built from scratch.

But instead of pitting it as a rival to the rich city-state, Malaysia is asking Singapore investors to take part in the project.

"We see ourselves as collaborating because both countries realise that in order to create more wealth and better distribution of the wealth, we need each other," said Ismail Ibrahim, chief executive of the Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA).

"Investors see Iskandar as something that is believable, something that is working," he told AFP.

From his 33rd-floor office in Singapore's financial district, Keith Martin exuded the same optimism.

"It's really positive that the momentum is picking up massively," said Martin, chief executive of Global Capital and Development (GCD), an Abu Dhabi-backed consortium tasked to develop a prime portion of Iskandar called Medini.

"Our strategic advantage is to ride the wave of Singapore. Singapore is all grown up and lacking space to build, business costs are escalating," he said.

Asia's strong recovery from the 2008-2009 global recession and the improved bilateral ties between Singapore and Malaysia have made the environment more conducive to promote the Iskandar region to investors, analysts said.

Singapore was ejected from the Malaysian federation in 1965 and ties since then were often testy, but new leaders who have emerged over the past decade have made an effort to promote cooperation and resolve irritants.

Because of its size, Iskandar -- which covers Johor state's capital Johor Bahru -- will be developed in phases, with plans to improve rail, sea and air connections to Singapore and facilitate easier immigration clearance.

Malaysia is offering generous incentives, including corporate and personal income tax perks, 100 percent foreign ownership of businesses and unrestricted hiring of foreign "knowledge" workers.

IRDA's Ismail said investor concerns over crime in Malaysia were being addressed by a strong police presence, more guards, surveillance cameras and creative urban planning.

Investor response has been encouraging so far, and the first wave of projects aimed at spurring more investment are due for completion in the next 18 months.

"I've been there with my muddy boots on and I've got my construction knowledge so they can't fool me on the progress," Martin, a veteran of Asia's construction business, said when asked if the development was on track.

By the end of 2010, investment commitments in Iskandar totalled 69.5 billion ringgit ($23 billion), surpassing its target by 48 percent, with more than 40 percent coming from overseas, Ismail said.

The US-based Chelsea Premium Outlets chain -- known for no-frills suburban shops selling luxury brands at discounted prices worldwide -- will open an outlet in the Iskandar region in November.

Britain's Newcastle University Medical School -- one of six universities in Iskandar's planned "educity" complex -- will admit its first batch of students later this year.

Marlborough College, a leading British independent boarding school established in 1854, will also open its first campus outside England in Iskandar this year for students aged 11-18.

Marlborough's campus will occupy 36 hectares (90 acres), including soccer, rugby and cricket fields.

Other schools in the "educity" complex include the Netherlands' Maritime Institute of Technology, England's University of Southampton and Singapore's Management Development Insitute.

Tuition will be priced in Malaysian ringgit.

Legoland Malaysia -- Asia's first Lego theme park -- is slated to open in the Medini sector in late 2012, next to a Legoland Hotel and a lifestyle retail mall.

A 300-bed and 150-suite Gleneagles Medini Hospital costing $156 million is also in the works.

Gleneagles is a popular private hospital in Singapore that caters to wealthy locals, expatriates and "medical tourists" who combine treatment with leisure.

Asian movie production will get a boost with a Pinewood International Studio, supported by an attached "media village."

Houses, luxury apartments and waterfront enclaves are being built to meet the needs of those relocating to the area.

An original masterplan to build a New York or Hong Kong-style financial centre with towering skyscrapers in Medini was redrawn after the global recession in 2008/2009, said Martin.

The new plan calls for a low- to medium-rise business district that will serve the requirements of small and medium businesses seeking cheaper locations but enjoying quality living standards.

It also hopes to attract multinational firms seeking to establish support operations.

Singapore's state-linked investment firm Temasek Holdings and its Malaysian counterpart Khazanah Nasional Berhad are planning to build an "iconic project" in Iskandar, according to Ismail.

He revealed that the project is likely to be a township "promoting healthy living" and covering more than 200 hectares (494 acres).

The Singaporean and Malaysian prime ministers will announce details by mid-year, Ismail added.

Martin said such a project will "almost overnight change the landscape" as it will be another strong vote of confidence on Iskandar.

"It will turbo-charge the already positive momentum," said Martin, who is house-hunting in Iskandar before relocating his family from Singapore.

"I've got my four kids already registered for Marlborough College. We're just looking forward to Medini picking up," he said.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks to lemans and others who have responded to my queries.:smile:
Hi, I have to agree with you that Horizon Hills houses interior are rather cheapskate. These are comments which are made by my dad and relatives when they spotted the main gate, which pales in comparison to those RM 100K properties along Tun Aminah, Bukit Indah and Nusa Bestari area.

Once you go in, you will be disappointed at the quality of the doors, windows etc.. very low end material which is unbecoming of a grand landscape housing development cost RM 800K. I mean, since you price it so high, why not spend another RM 50k or so doing up the interior?

East Ledang is in a different class of its own. The interior ooz class, very elegant and fine materials are used.

Agreed with that, i once questioned the developer about this, their reason was that when they first came out here, they did a poll and found that most people will make lots of changes to their place, do A&A once they move in and customize to their desire once they purchased. A case in point is a 2.5 storey being converted into a gigantic/gargantuan/behemoth of a place. They started the renovation halfway BEFORE i even purchased and moved in. 2 years on, its finally looking to be 90% complete.

A Semi-D in HH costs 800k 2 years ago, the same one in EL costs a bit more. Both appealed equally to me.

The only reasons i picked HH was:
1. Golf course/Chinese Primary school
2. Its already built and infrastructure/amenities are already there, i can't get my parents "buy in" if they have to drive far to get anything. I will not leave my family especially parents/siblings behind so they factor a lot in my plans.
3. Cheaper as compared to development of the same tier. I could get a Semi-D AND a cluster/terrace (and rent out the extra place)
with enough money to spare for internal works.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
No problem. Their rates are usually quite high but not always the highest.. just that its more convenient for me to change that as there are no suspicious looking character loitering around. If your funds are big, you can request to go to the individual rooms.

Side issue, today I was at Horizon Hills Customer Care to meet up with the guy there.. then I saw a few photographs of a SLEEPING guard being taken. I stared at it and found that a guard has been caught SLEEPING at night duty and was caught on camera and he dint even know it while lying on the ground with a few clothes supporting his head. God bless him and I think he will be fired.

I try to subtly wake up the guard by coughing when i see them sleeping or dozing off. My neighbours are not so forgiving, one of them goes around with his cameras. I once saw their guard commander/boss scolding 1 in the middle of the night as he did a spot check. Never saw that guy again.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
By the way, the 2 fishing ponds at Perling area have competitions every weekend. Mainly mangrove jacks/ang zo ki (biggest i saw was 3kg plus)

Not bad but most fish with floaters (light sticks)

whiteoak

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess the standard of the security is already much better than Singapore, where they hire grumpy old man in condos as their main gate security guards.

Jogs1

Alfrescian
Loyal
This one is near to Causeway link..

UM Land, Singapore’s Raffles Campus plan RM35m campus in Malaysia
Written by Joseph Chin of theedgemalaysia.com Monday, 18 April 2011 17:46
http://www.theedgemalaysia.com/busin...-malaysia.html

KUALA LUMPUR: UNITED MALAYAN LAND BHD’s unit Seri Alam PROPERTIES Sdn Bhd is teaming up with Singapore’s Raffles Campus Pte Ltd to undertake a RM35 million campus in Iskandar Malaysia.

The MoU, which was signed on Monday, April 18, is to form a joint venture company to build the Raffles International School in Bandar Seri Alam. It will be managed and operated by Raffles as its first campus in Malaysia.

The parties will acquire 15 acres of freehold land within Bandar Seri Alam and develop it into an international school to be tenanted to Raffles on a long term lease.

“The cost of developing the bare campus and land purchase are estimated to be in the region of RM35 million. The development of the campus will span into two or three phases over a four to five year period, with its projected first student intake by end of 2013,” it said.

Skippy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Folks,

anyone has got any idea where can buy teak furniture in Jb? No offence, am looking for the darker woody furniture which is more bali style not the malay type. I did check out one over in Indah, limited selections.

Thanks & Cheers...

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Anyone know where to get a good quality outdoor/patio furniture?

There is a Giant near Tampoi where its next to an Indian Hindu temple. The Giant there has a few selection, mainly made of metal.
Hing Fuat at Perling also has a few.

fairies

Alfrescian
Loyal
This one is near to Causeway link..

UM Land, Singapore’s Raffles Campus plan RM35m campus in Malaysia
Written by Joseph Chin of theedgemalaysia.com Monday, 18 April 2011 17:46
http://www.theedgemalaysia.com/busin...-malaysia.html

KUALA LUMPUR: UNITED MALAYAN LAND BHD’s unit Seri Alam PROPERTIES Sdn Bhd is teaming up with Singapore’s Raffles Campus Pte Ltd to undertake a RM35 million campus in Iskandar Malaysia.

The MoU, which was signed on Monday, April 18, is to form a joint venture company to build the Raffles International School in Bandar Seri Alam. It will be managed and operated by Raffles as its first campus in Malaysia.

The parties will acquire 15 acres of freehold land within Bandar Seri Alam and develop it into an international school to be tenanted to Raffles on a long term lease.

“The cost of developing the bare campus and land purchase are estimated to be in the region of RM35 million. The development of the campus will span into two or three phases over a four to five year period, with its projected first student intake by end of 2013,” it said.

Seri Alam? Who are they targetting? I don't see many Singaporeans or expats in that area, not even many upper class Malaysians. Roads and transportation access to Seri Alam is another nightmare

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Folks,

anyone has got any idea where can buy teak furniture in Jb? No offence, am looking for the darker woody furniture which is more bali style not the malay type. I did check out one over in Indah, limited selections.

Thanks & Cheers...

The Giant at Skudai, one of the shops near the Giant(near the main road) there are a few.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
guys..any opinion about taman laguna in the future?

Good design, ok place, a bit far in though and next to deserted coastal area plus some may not like living next some squatter areas. Still, for nature/seafood lovers, etc its actually a good place.

vileong

Alfrescian
Loyal
This will be the fifth university after Uni KL, Mara Uni, Masterskill Uni, HELP Uni. Also new Mara Science Jr. College and Malaysia At School are here. Moreover the Eastern District Police Headquarter is here too (opposite the Japanese Int'l School). Sri Mutiara Apartment have units from 840 sqft to 1680 sqft (starting from RM 150 sqft) available in Bandar Seri Alam. Stay here and use the new highway to CIQ, only 18 mins away. For more info., please contact me at [email protected]. Be early for this investment

Status
Not open for further replies.