• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Astro IPTV plus broadband package is a new launch. I don't think many have signed up yet as it has not been rolled out in Johor.
Maxis is also offering the same service.
Asides from savings, Astro thru broadband beats satellite dish which annoyingly gets frequently disrupted by bad weather.

Thanks Batok Seri!

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
finally found the toddy shop

IMG_97102_zpsyrl9akfe.jpg

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally found the toddy shop...

Restaurant name: [Kedai Tuak Awam
Address: Along Jalan Sulaiman, downtown Johor Bahru
Map: http://goo.gl/maps/zYeC
GPS: 1.464262,103.761633
Hours: 10:00am to 5:00pm
Non Halal

View attachment 14223

Attachments

• Tody_zpstokkt7li.jpg
    Tody_zpstokkt7li.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_9738_zpshcodck3u.JPG
    IMG_9738_zpshcodck3u.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those around Kempas, must try n visit the establishments at IMPIAN EMAS.

For beer guzzlers there is BEER BELLY n LA PRIMEUR.

For steak eaters you have MATTERHON. A fine dining sorta place with steep pricing.

Lotsa chinese eateries too.

laidback n quiet

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
mallow, I'm always looking for the cheapest n best nursery. I'm not into ornamental plants tho Always, looking for herbs n edibles. just bought passion fruit n laichi today for container gardening

Hi Ginfreely and Gardener

Are you able to tell Singaporeans from Malaysian when they speak or act? I mostly can but certainly make mistakes from time to time. Others are not our worry : unless Malaysians think everyone speaking or behaving obnoxiously is Singaporean! I was once asked, after some pleasant chat with friends of friends who are Malaysian, "Where are you from?" and when I replied "Singapore" I was nonplussed to be told to my face "But you're nice!"

Not to say at all that everything Malaysian is polite and accommodating, but we are guests and the more halus or refined we are, the easier things tend to be.

I am happy to say that after 6 years here, I can get seedlings/plants/cuttings of almost everything I need free from friends; and the very best toddy at RM10: it is only a matter of time for anyone coming to this friendly country. Just ask advice and suggestions and you will told about the double petalled jasmine or (the name escapes me) also the double-petalled blue flower, a creeper, that is used to colour pulut; and what leaves are edible (some coleus) which plant well with which others.

Nonetheless, if you can wake up to be at Pasar Tani near the stadium at Larkin by 7 am they have cheap plants and little fruit trees which are hard to resist. The occasional huge and unusual hibiscus appears, rosella and such. It's a large outdoor market and often unusual fruit will appear whose seeds may be planted successfully too eg jambu susu. The market goes on till noon, but by 8ish parking becomes hellish and after that it is HOT. Plenty of kueh kueh, Johor laksa and other delights for breakfast with good teh tarik. Here is where you can find the old fashioned jambu batu - small, yellow and fragrant; the unusual vegetables that the Malay people eat with relish and are not usually found at other markets and some utterly delicious puchok paku of a variety I have not myself seen at other markets.

Kong Hei Fatt Choy to all!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Are you able to tell Singaporeans from Malaysian when they speak or act? I mostly can but certainly make mistakes from time to time. Others are not our worry : unless Malaysians think everyone speaking or behaving obnoxiously is Singaporean! I was once asked, after some pleasant chat with friends of friends who are Malaysian, "Where are you from?" and when I replied "Singapore" I was nonplussed to be told to my face "But you're nice!"

Not to say at all that everything Malaysian is polite and accommodating, but we are guests and the more halus or refined we are, the easier things tend to be.

I had a similar experience when we were in Malacca last year. We stayed at the Hatten Hotel (good!!!). Anyway, we were at this shop buying things and before we left the staff asked if we were from Singapore. We said "yes" and they complimented that we were courteous and they met many Singaporeans who were arrogant and not polite. I was feeling :o and hope that Singaporeans living or visiting in Malaysia will not be stereotyped in such a way. Let's always be courteous and smiley wherever we go!

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had a similar experience when we were in Malacca last year. We stayed at the Hatten Hotel (good!!!). Anyway, we were at this shop buying things and before we left the staff asked if we were from Singapore. We said "yes" and they complimented that we were courteous and they met many Singaporeans who were arrogant and not polite. I was feeling :o and hope that Singaporeans living or visiting in Malaysia will not be stereotyped in such a way. Let's always be courteous and smiley wherever we go!

There are traditional type Singaporeans and new Singaporeans.

Which group are you referring to? :confused: :p :biggrin:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Frodo, Wat if kk do something to yr house?:rolleyes:

Who is KK? Anyway, you know what I mean lah, talking about being nice and polite to people you meet in daily life. If people do something bad, be "nice" and report to mata.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who is KK? Anyway, you know what I mean lah, talking about being nice and polite to people you meet in daily life. If people do something bad, be "nice" and report to mata.

haha.. joke joke with u only. :biggrin: Gong Xi Fa Cai!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi mallow,

Precisely if a Malaysian cannot tell someone nice is Singaporean, how did they tell someone not nice or behaving obnoxiously is Singaporean? The answer is simple, most of the time they simply judged based on the Singapore plate car the obnoxious people drive. So when someone come out from Spore plate car and go to nearby coffee shop, restaurant, shops, developer office etc and start behaving obnoxiously, loudly, aggressively, people will assume they are Singaporean, especially when these people speak English and dress like Singaporean.

We cannot assume that Malaysians can tell Malaysians apart from Singaporeans and so they think someone not nice is Singaporeans means really Singaporeans are not nice. Already in this forum, previously there is Malaysian forummer who had problems with his neighbours and cannot tell whether they are Malaysian or Singaporean. Another forummer also mentioned before when he went tour and encountered Msians who told others they are Singaporeans, and he only realised otherwise subsequently. Personally I have also encountered a Msian colleague telling me she is Singaporean when she is Msian SPR.

So what is important is not whether we can tell whether someone is Singaproean or Malaysian, but whether Malaysians can tell whether someone driving a Spore plate car is Singaporean or Msian SPR.

I am happy to say that after 6 years here, I can get seedlings/plants/cuttings of almost everything I need free from friends; and the very best toddy at RM10: it is only a matter of time for anyone coming to this friendly country. Just ask advice and suggestions and you will told about the double petalled jasmine or (the name escapes me) also the double-petalled blue flower, a creeper, that is used to colour pulut; and what leaves are edible (some coleus) which plant well with which others.

Nonetheless, if you can wake up to be at Pasar Tani near the stadium at Larkin by 7 am they have cheap plants and little fruit trees which are hard to resist. The occasional huge and unusual hibiscus appears, rosella and such. It's a large outdoor market and often unusual fruit will appear whose seeds may be planted successfully too eg jambu susu. The market goes on till noon, but by 8ish parking becomes hellish and after that it is HOT. Plenty of kueh kueh, Johor laksa and other delights for breakfast with good teh tarik. Here is where you can find the old fashioned jambu batu - small, yellow and fragrant; the unusual vegetables that the Malay people eat with relish and are not usually found at other markets and some utterly delicious puchok paku of a variety I have not myself seen at other markets.

Kong Hei Fatt Choy to all!

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree can't b too nice.

Coz then ppl sit on ur head and if possible shit too.

There are ugly Singaporeans n ugly Malaysians.

There was an occasion there was a wedding.

There were more than a 100 cars.

Some of them conveniently went up d grass patch outside my house.

The soil sank, grass was squashed n luckily for me the cement did not crack.

Who would Hv paid to repair?

Mbjb?

No way right even if it's in a public area...

So I had to find a way to prevent parking around my corner ppty.

And find I did...

Even if that meant I looked uncivilized.

ya , correct! cannot be too nice. people will think u goondoo and potong carrot chop chop

Status
Not open for further replies.