• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
My view on Iskandar is still 50-50 as it is still a long way to go. Like majority mentioned, those fundamentals need to be there to sustain and push the property value to the next level. Some of the doubts I'm still having right now and looking for answer (I believe only time can tell).

1. Property price - For common new property launch, normal double-storey terrace all cost above 400k or next time even 500k, can the local afford? ( With more job opportunities in the future with good salary, yes. However, how good will it be?). By looking at the current massive rate of the new property being launched, I won't be surprised more than 50% are bought for investment purpose. Imagine next time when everyone is selling..

2. The M'sia govt mentioned about foreign investment - what does Iskandar offer to attract foreign investor? Definitely cost is one of the main factor. If the operating cost in Kota Iskandar increase in the future, would Iskandar will still be their pick?

3. Job opportunity - linked with item 2. How good will the job remuneration package be in such a way to attract more work force that can afford the expensive houses? Not to forget that it is just right beside Singapore.

4. Educity - what group of intake / students are they targeting? And it is not only one University, there are 4 (for what I've heard)! What good will it bring to increase the property value? Perhaps some demands from students seeking for rental? But again it depends on whether those university / college provide hostel / accommodation for them and also the students' background. Unless some rich fella send their kids here, but again among all place, why Kota Iskandar?

5. Legoland and In-door theme park (or what do they call it) - Tourism - hopefully they will do well to bring some business to this area.

6. Kota Iskandar as a Johor state new administrative centre - I can only imagine the future Kota Iskandar similar like the current Putrajaya.

Might miss out some points. I just hope this time M'sia govt will focus on what they would like to achieve in the end and execute every phase timely as per proposed, or else eventually people will just lost confident and leave.

They are very good in the hardware so far ! But I have yet to see any improvement on the software . I find starting a small biz in JB equally problematic as 10yrs ago ! Applying to become a PR more difficult than SG .
A lot of simple thing like driving a mini bus / commercial van into JB is not allowed, how to increase trade flow ? Nothing is being change to attract meaningful imigration / businesses , how to substain the mavisive infracture , housing that they built in such a short time .
Look at the above post by Austin/ Nasi Lemak , again they plan to pump in billion to built rivers , hotels and more housing . They expect everyone to buy a house and leave it empty or for holiday use . Nothing mention how to win the customers , how foreigners can start biz / work in JB without so many red tapes . Worst they increased the toll at Woodland ?

Last edited:

investjb

Alfrescian
Loyal
if all the projects failed in iskandar/nusajaya, eg.legoland down, educity failed, theme park bankrupt, silc failed, what would happen? hmm.. lets think about it and give ur opinion here to share.

investjb

Alfrescian
Loyal
if all the projects failed in iskandar/nusajaya, eg.legoland down, educity failed, theme park bankrupt, silc failed, what would happen? hmm.. lets think about it and give ur opinion here to share.
start with me,personally i think when u buy something for own stay or investment, look at the location and developer. my guideline always buy location near to singapore, build by good and trusted developer, not overpriced, hav good view/environment (for high rise like sea view, grennery, city view or pool view, avoid west sun). if u hav prop fulfill these criteria, if iskandar failed, will ur prop fail u too?

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal

For most of us nothing happen , we can still us our house as a hoilday home / retirement home . At most is some paper loss lah . For those with multi properties , cut loss , just keep one !

investjb

Alfrescian
Loyal
start with me,personally i think when u buy something for own stay or investment, look at the location and developer. my guideline always buy location near to singapore, build by good and trusted developer, not overpriced, hav good view/environment (for high rise like sea view, grennery, city view or pool view, avoid west sun). if u hav prop fulfill these criteria, if iskandar failed, will ur prop fail u too?
1more points to add, im not so worry bout iskandar fail or not. im more concern about crime rate. the success of iskandar will bring up ur prop value. the increase of crime rate will push down ur prop value. how to get the balance out of it???

nicholas1213

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hmm.. not too bad, our group can live in an empty billion dollar city and enjoy smooth traffic all the way, use those infrastructures like nobody business haha..

Well I think if that's the case, basically it will go back to each property development's unique features where other properties doesn't offer, at least it still have some reason for people to hold on to it or still to pick it even thou no doubt overall property market will be impacted. I don't think it will be so bad until it becomes a dead town. E.g. those who are staying in those well developed area e.g. BI that area, life still goes on. For those staying in LF / EL, it still serves as one of the closest area to SG after 2nd link toll. Just that less people will put their money to invest since the appreciation will go back to the 'normal rule' rather than the current crazy rate which based on something that we can't see yet.

Also, I still see JB as a second choice for Singaporean or for those PR who work in SG and thus a fix demand is always there. Depends on the property market in SG at that time. Let's say it is still sky high, perhaps with even lower properties price in JB, it will attract more people to cross border and buy properties there. Who knows?

Interesting topic to be discussed (and worth to be discussed) :smile:

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are very good in the hardware so far ! But I have yet to see any improvement on the software . I find starting a small biz in JB equally problematic as 10yrs ago ! Applying to become a PR more difficult than SG .
A lot of simple thing like driving a mini bus / commercial van into JB is not allowed, how to increase trade flow ? Nothing is being change to attract meaningful imigration / businesses , how to substain the mavisive infracture , housing that they built in such a short time .
Look at the above post by Austin/ Nasi Lemak , again they plan to pump in billion to built rivers , hotels and more housing . They expect everyone to buy a house and leave it empty or for holiday use . Nothing mention how to win the customers , how foreigners can start biz / work in JB without so many red tapes . Worst they increased the toll at Woodland ?

Yah, never forget that sovereign risk is still pretty high when it comes to investing in Malaysia (unless you are mega MNC). Local politics there can dictate what happens to Singapore investments, something we'd be wise to always remember. Just because this is a country of sheep does not mean that other countries are like us. Look at what happened with Shin Corp. Temasek went in thinking they were so clever, and never expected the Thai people to protest, just because people in Singapore never protest like that.

And I have noticed some people wondering why Singapore does not make it easy for Singaporeans to live there. I do not understand the puzzlement. Why on earth would our government facilitate people moving there to live? Except the old and infirm whom I have no doubt they wish they could shunt somewhere else.

Singapore can as easily smile and co-operate with Malaysia as they can look the other way and stop contributing altogether.

1more points to add, im not so worry bout iskandar fail or not. im more concern about crime rate. the success of iskandar will bring up ur prop value. the increase of crime rate will push down ur prop value. how to get the balance out of it???

Iskandar cannot succeed without crime coming down, and crime will not come down unless Iskandar succeeds. The provision of better paying jobs and an overall improvement in the quality of people's lives will naturally bring crime down. Apart from specific instances such as stealing 13mil of clients' money or being at the top of a triad gang, a life of crime is generally not preferred to a life of a decent wage and home. For most human beings at least. If iskandar cannot achieve any decent measure of success, then it is back to the old JB where all who can work in Singapore if they can, and the town is left again to life of crime.

Hmm.. not too bad, our group can live in an empty billion dollar city and enjoy smooth traffic all the way, use those infrastructures like nobody business haha..

Well I think if that's the case, basically it will go back to each property development's unique features where other properties doesn't offer, at least it still have some reason for people to hold on to it or still to pick it even thou no doubt overall property market will be impacted. I don't think it will be so bad until it becomes a dead town. E.g. those who are staying in those well developed area e.g. BI that area, life still goes on. For those staying in LF / EL, it still serves as one of the closest area to SG after 2nd link toll. Just that less people will put their money to invest since the appreciation will go back to the 'normal rule' rather than the current crazy rate which based on something that we can't see yet.

Also, I still see JB as a second choice for Singaporean or for those PR who work in SG and thus a fix demand is always there. Depends on the property market in SG at that time. Let's say it is still sky high, perhaps with even lower properties price in JB, it will attract more people to cross border and buy properties there. Who knows?

Interesting topic to be discussed (and worth to be discussed) :smile:

Lol, yah that was my exact consideration when I bought. What if? I figure I am buying to stay, the local infrastructure looks sufficient for decent living if Iskandar fails. I suppose investors won't be so sanguine about it, but all investment comes with risk.

You are right, the negatives need to be considered with the positives, confirmation bias is always there when it comes to investing, looking at the upside without giving sufficient thought to the downside is a sure-fire way to lose more than you win.

Malaysian SPR's who buy are safe no matter what happens, Malaysia is still their country. Not so for pure Singaporeans.

That said, I still rate the probability of Iskandar's success as much more in the direction of yes rather than no. :smile:

Aisanbo

Alfrescian
Loyal

There's too many what ifs....
What if the value of iskander property reach same level as Singapore in 15 years time ? A condo now at rm500k becomes RM2.4M.
What if the 2 IRs in Singapore push up crime rate in Singapore ?
What if Singapore government really push up local population to 6.5m and beyond ?
What if RM devalues to S$1=RM5 ? What if Temasek lose our reserves & so the other way round S$0.5=RM1 ?
What if most of the factories in Thailand shift to IM ?

Better not think so much about external factors (just think a bit), but more on internal checks.....

wufucheng

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's too many what ifs....
What if the value of iskander property reach same level as Singapore in 15 years time ? A condo now at rm500k becomes RM2.4M.
What if the 2 IRs in Singapore push up crime rate in Singapore ?
What if Singapore government really push up local population to 6.5m and beyond ?
What if RM devalues to S$1=RM5 ? What if Temasek lose our reserves & so the other way round S$0.5=RM1 ?
What if most of the factories in Thailand shift to IM ?

Better not think so much about external factors (just think a bit), but more on internal checks.....

Agree, if it is for retirement (own stay) or long term then it's ok:smile:

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi bro teck21,

keep it coming with your reno blog man. haha. also learnt what is a pergola recently!..if have time may do a reno blog also,..but with 3 young kids running around, i think would be difficult.

cheers.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal

While this scenario we all dread and not likely to happen, I think the end result is an immediate fall in security because Govt will not be maintaining or increasing RM into it/

And with loss of jobs (due to failure), hardship sets in, more illegal immigrants, it will be Cowboy Town all over again.

Even it is for own stay, I believe most of us will likely retreat.

Again, this is just an extreme case. "talk talk only, don't be serious hor"

alleyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess should be 16 yrs to 18 yrs ago lah . In my era , 4 rm was 70K , 5rm was 90K , EA was 120K .

Year 1996, I purchased a 5room flat at Jurong West Central. It cost me S$197,500.

Why not? Woodlands 4rm. THat time area considered ulu ma.

If 12 yrs ago, it should be yr 2000. All I can say is 1996 (@16yrs ago), Jurong West Central 1, 5room flat already cost me @S$200K. And 4room flat cost @$135K.

If u talk abt uluness, not much difference between Woodland and Jurong West (16yrs ago) that time ya.

Last edited:

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Year 1996, I purchased a 5room flat at Jurong West Central. It cost me S$197,500.

If 12 yrs ago, it should be yr 2000. All I can say is 1996 (@16yrs ago), Jurong West Central 1, 5room flat already cost me @S$200K. And 4room flat cost @$135K.

If u talk abt uluness, not much difference between Woodland and Jurong West (16yrs ago) that time ya.

Allenboy, I hear you.

In 1997, after several years of work/savings, we (both NUS graduates in late 20s) paid $245,000 for a 5rm at Yishun Central from HDB.
After Govt grant, we paid $215,000.
We paid off everything by depleting our CPF and every month CPF contribution in 5 years (MOP).

It is 600m walk to Yishun MRT and near to Yishun Central.
We sold it for $420,000 after 10years and with this money, moved into private.
Of course by then, our salaries have increased considerably, so the $420,000 we received was not the reason we moved but buying the next property, at the right price, at the right location, was more important.

These days, the newer generation want to go fast - very different expectations.

Mind you, those days, when we said we had paid $245k for 5rm HDB in "ulu" Yishun, people were saying it's crazy prices too.
Some of our neighbours were young couples like us, some were with families, some white collar, some blue collar - and many were also worried if they could afford to pay for their brand new homes, at that time!

Amongst our friends, we also lamented that we had "missed the boat" and that the generation before us, ie those batch who graduated or went to work earlier, like some 5 years earlier, "had it easy", "so lucky", etc... were able to buy HDB so much cheaper and then moved into private earlier, etc...

Well, it does seem like deja vu and is not much different today - again you hear the laments of the younger generation that the previous generation had it easier, etc etc...

It was certainly not true - as I recall in the early 1990s the starting salaries of a new graduate was around S$1500 - well, below today's - and we did not have it easy too, with all kinds of recessions and retrenchments as industries changed and some even structurally moved out of Singapore permanently.

But for every down cycle, there were equally great up cycles and equal opportunities for many to fight for livelihood and prosper.

It took many of us, several years of work and savings, investing, sacrifices, step by step, to afford today's better living standards - Rome was certainly not built in a day or two!

In the end, all I want to say is that it is certainly not cheap to live in Singapore today but look around you, in Asean, in Asia, in Europe, in USA, etc... where can you find any free lunch?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.