• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Folks please help. Not a single response yet.

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Hope everyone is doing fine and thanks for sharing useful information on this forum. We have just moved from Canada to Singapore and I started my job last week. I have been reading this thread 1 since last few months and made some notes but unfortunatley my old laptop is not working so I can't access that. We are planning to rent a house for few months close to 2nd link before we will buy our own. I would greatly appreciate if someone can answer the following questions:

1. I am Canadian and Singapore PEP holder. I would be commuting to work in Singapore everyday. Is this a doable thing as far as immigration on both sides of borders is concerned?

2. My wife holds DP and holding a passport requiring visa to enter Malaysia. I was wondering if we can get a multiple entry visa for her, would that work? She won't be working in Singapore and will be visiting Singapore once/twice every month.

3. Is there any carpool / express coach service from Nusajaya to Singapore?

Thanks everyone for your time

Bastian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear All,

I've tried to read a number of your posts (it's overwhelming) and I was hoping that any of you can give me some advice...

I would like to buy a landed property in JB for my elderly parents but I do not know which property to go for.

Last weekend, I brought them to take a look at the new developments in East Ledang (Melody Parks) which I thought had rather steep pricing ($3+m) and Horizon Hills (The Hills) which my parents liked a lot.

So it's probably going to be Horizon Hills. But I when I compare the difference between the price of the new launch (The Hills) and the subsale properties, I find that I could be better-off buying a newly completed and/or renovated property. I'm not sure... I do understand that the quality of the finishing at The Hills may be better but... I'm just not sure if I should go for it... $1.6 million for a 3-storey semi-detached house can get me 2 units of corner link/terraces at The Golf (can it?)... I know I've to pay more upfront for subsales... for the stamp duty, legal fees, etc.

What would you do if you were me? My income is relatively stable and fair... (Not sure if that is relevant) I feel that my parents will be happier and more relaxed if they moved there and I commuted from JB 3-4 times a week. They'll keep their place in Singapore just in case they can't get used to life in JB. I'll get them a malaysian car to drive out to Jusco, Tesco and Giant and to wander around anywhere they want....

So I guess my questions are: Subsales or buy brand new? What size (I know it's a personal preference thing but what will u do?) to get? If it's subsales, is there an agent u would recommend so that I wouldn't overpay by a ridiculous amt?

I hope that my questions are not foolish... :smile:

Thank you all so much in advance for your kindness.

nesta0013

Alfrescian
Loyal
I get the same feeling looking at the pricing of Horizon Hills The Greens... although again i felt the development is a little "budget" style layout. This is a good sign. I am not worried about slow down as the Malaysian market typically undergoes slow but steady growth. I hate to see the developers selling so well that their heads got really big. Time for them to take stock. Time to demonstrate some quality and service.. assholes! (developers)

How much is the lauching price for The Greens now?

36minit

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the opposition were to topple BN, which is seemingly difficult unless parties like MIC, MCA, Gerakan and some component parties in East Malaysia of Sarawak and Sabah cross over, I believe a merger of Singapore into the federation may be part of the picture.

Yes. It was on the card.

The sign is there for everyone to see but sadly Singaporeans are too caught up
with condemning PAP policies to see it.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's no need for such trouble.

For the convenience and benefit of readers:

What can be done to address the widespread problem of restrictions to prevent the public from entering housing areas which are not developed under the Strata Titles Act 1985 (Act 318)?

The existing laws of the Road Transport Act 1987 (section 80) and the Street, Drainage and Building Act 1974 (section 46 (1)) explicitly prevents the installation of barriers at the entrance or in public access areas, including the lane edge and alley behind the residence. The only obstacle allowed is in the form of temporary physical restrictions, such as 'manual boom gate', safety cones and signs that can be considered to be installed or placed in a specific location at the entrance facing the guard, provided there are security guards on duty for 24 hours.

At the same time, security guards who are appointed shall not restrict or prevent the entry of occupants or the public to the housing scheme which is not 'landed strata'. The current practice of requiring the public to submit identification documents (especially the driving license and identity card) is not consistent with the provisions of the law. In this case, the occupants or the public should report to the authorities, especially the police.

Source: http://blog.iproperty.com.my/downloads/faq-gated.pdf

Click on the link to read more. The FAQ is sourced from the authorities.

Hi Aragorn,

You are right that the above is the law which governs non strata-titled land. But, just like many other laws, there can be exceptions for special requests.
I'm sure a big developer like Gamuda(HH) has applied for special permission to fence up and guard each individual precincts in HH, even though those precincts are not strata-titled. I'm also sure that their applications for such measures were already approved by the relevant authority.

One other interesting thing I noticed though is that Strata-Titled landed houses(Cluster Housing) in Singapore command a significantly lower price than Landed Houses with Individual Title.

Go to this link and do a search. Just select Postal District 16 and click 'Add' followed by 'Search'. You'll see a list of historical prices, look at 'Type of Area'(it's either Strata or Landed) and 'Unit Price psf'. You can see that in the same estate, PSF of landed can be more than S$1,000 while PSF for Strata are mostly S$5xx. From the difference in price, I guess when it comes to buying a landed property, buyers of today's market still prefer to have individual title instead of Strata, thus the higher demand which resulted in higher price.

Last edited:

Aisanbo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Aragorn,

You are right that the above is the law which governs non strata-titled land. But, just like many other laws, there can be exceptions for special requests.
I'm sure a big developer like Gamuda(HH) has applied for special permission to fence up and guard each individual precincts in HH, even though those precincts are not strata-titled. I'm also sure that their applications for such measures were already approved by the relevant authority.

One other interesting thing I noticed though is that Strata-Titled landed houses(Cluster Housing) in Singapore command a significantly lower price than Landed Houses with Individual Title.

Go to this link and do a search. Just select Postal District 16 and click 'Add' followed by 'Search'. You'll see a list of historical prices, look at 'Type of Area'(it's either Strata or Landed) and 'Unit Price psf'. You can see that in the same estate, PSF of landed can be more than S$1,000 while PSF for Strata are mostly S$5xx. From the difference in price, I guess when it comes to buying a landed property, buyers of today's market still prefer to have individual title instead of Strata, thus the higher demand which resulted in higher price.

Look at the small notes.
"For conventional landed housing, the area pertaining to the transacted property refers to land area.

For strata sub-divided housing such as apartments, condominiums and strata landed housing (ie. cluster housing/townhouses), the area pertaining to the transacted property refers to strata area. "

So I would not say we're comparing apple to apple by just using this yardstick.
Landed strata in Singapore is also very different to Malaysia. In Sg, foreigners can buy landed strata but not individual landed.
landed strata in Singapore also have some limitations to the no. of houses per development.
This restriction was introduced in 2009 to curb the growing popularity of landed strata at that time (in Sg).

Again, I would say that...to each his own.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear All,

I've tried to read a number of your posts (it's overwhelming) and I was hoping that any of you can give me some advice...

I would like to buy a landed property in JB for my elderly parents but I do not know which property to go for.

Last weekend, I brought them to take a look at the new developments in East Ledang (Melody Parks) which I thought had rather steep pricing ($3+m) and Horizon Hills (The Hills) which my parents liked a lot.

So it's probably going to be Horizon Hills. But I when I compare the difference between the price of the new launch (The Hills) and the subsale properties, I find that I could be better-off buying a newly completed and/or renovated property. I'm not sure... I do understand that the quality of the finishing at The Hills may be better but... I'm just not sure if I should go for it... $1.6 million for a 3-storey semi-detached house can get me 2 units of corner link/terraces at The Golf (can it?)... I know I've to pay more upfront for subsales... for the stamp duty, legal fees, etc.

What would you do if you were me? My income is relatively stable and fair... (Not sure if that is relevant) I feel that my parents will be happier and more relaxed if they moved there and I commuted from JB 3-4 times a week. They'll keep their place in Singapore just in case they can't get used to life in JB. I'll get them a malaysian car to drive out to Jusco, Tesco and Giant and to wander around anywhere they want....

So I guess my questions are: Subsales or buy brand new? What size (I know it's a personal preference thing but what will u do?) to get? If it's subsales, is there an agent u would recommend so that I wouldn't overpay by a ridiculous amt?

I hope that my questions are not foolish... :smile:

Thank you all so much in advance for your kindness.

Hi Bastian,
I will always go with developer direct when possible, and it is possible now with Greens launch in HH and as some wrote in NI as well. They normally absorb all kinds of fees and you get the 2 years defect warranty. Also savee hassle of transfer of properties, bumi lots issues, sellers intend to sell and then pullback, etc. If rush, can rent first while developer units come up... just my preference. You have a nice problem.

hillside

Alfrescian
Loyal
East bro previously started a post on it, I am just adding some stiff based on what I heard at the sales office yesterday:

22x75 2 storey link houses (divided into Type A & B, but both with almost identical built up 2293 and 2312sqft) -

Type B is the one that is actually scheduled for soft launch after CNY, although Type A may be launched at same time if they collect enough cheques.

580-600k for intermediates, with some going up to 630k if they have the advantage of not being directly across another unit.

End / corner lots - 800-900+k

Expected completion date to be 3rd quarter 2015. Likelihood of free club social membership, but to be confirmed.

22x100s, only 6 units of these and no launch dates available.

No semi-Ds or bungalows planned for Greens, but cluster will be launched at some point.
Is someone able to tell me how to get an image up here? Then I could put the plan for the current launch up.

Hi, just to share the unit price calculation for landed property. Perhaps this can help for pricing of the green.

Land area (22x75) = 1650sf
Build up area = 2312sf
Price = 600k

Land price - assuming 75/sf = 123,750
Build up cost = (600,000-123750)/2312sf= 206/sf

Of course the Land cost and build quality will be different but this can be useful for comparison purpose, for corner/end lot, the additional cost could be 10k to 50k for extra wall and fencing.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Folks please help. Not a single response yet.

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Hope everyone is doing fine and thanks for sharing useful information on this forum. We have just moved from Canada to Singapore and I started my job last week. I have been reading this thread 1 since last few months and made some notes but unfortunatley my old laptop is not working so I can't access that. We are planning to rent a house for few months close to 2nd link before we will buy our own. I would greatly appreciate if someone can answer the following questions:

1. I am Canadian and Singapore PEP holder. I would be commuting to work in Singapore everyday. Is this a doable thing as far as immigration on both sides of borders is concerned?

2. My wife holds DP and holding a passport requiring visa to enter Malaysia. I was wondering if we can get a multiple entry visa for her, would that work? She won't be working in Singapore and will be visiting Singapore once/twice every month.

3. Is there any carpool / express coach service from Nusajaya to Singapore?

Thanks everyone for your time

Hi Polarbear,

Your case is intriguing and I do not know the full answers; but allow me to make some logical deductions to kick start and then some more experienced bros and sis can answer better ..

1/ No problem but do Canadians need visa to visit Malaysia? Perhaps not, as both are parts of the Commonwealth?

2/ I think this one trickier but not sure how to justify securing a multiple entry visa from Malaysia. Perhaps Malaysia My Second Home program will be best because it gives her the visa to be in Malaysia almost like a PR. I believe the Nusajayacity.com has some good resources for expats like yourself.

3/ Yes. At page 1 wuqi gave link to bus service handahlindah. CW3 from Bukit Indah. Maybe I read bro lastresort takes this daily?

It has been done and more being done; see link
http://www.expatliving.sg/currentissue/online-magazine/2011/06June_Issue107/index.html#/46/zoomed

hillside

Alfrescian
Loyal
For corner/end lot unit.

Assuming additional 10ft land.

Land area (32x75) = 2400sf
Build up area = 2312sf
Price = 700k

Land price - assuming 75/sf = 180,000
Additional cost for wall, windows & fencing = 25k
Build up cost = (700,000-180,000-30000)/2312sf= 212/sf

Icyraine

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is same case for me if taking flex loan from Public Bank.
Good thing about flex loan is that I can just dump one big amount into the current account for the installments to be deducted monthly. At same time, the money is earning interest in a way because my loan balance would be offset by the amount i have in the account. I would not want to remit money every month which would also incur cost every transaction.

I thought u will have 2 acc, one saving and the other one current, the installment still get deducted from the saving acc, but you can offset the interest if you keep money in the current acc?

This is the deal explained to me by the public bank officer.

Bastian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Teck21, Thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate it. :smile: It helps me to be more sure about taking the next step.

Yeah, EL's pretty steep. And some Singaporeans, like myself do prefer to be nearer the Bukit Indah circle.

At current prices, i think it can just about get you 2 corner Golf links, or at the very least, 1 corner and 1 intermediate.

I'm not you, but I do know that in my case, I was looking for one for occupation asap, so I could only go for resale. If you're not in a hurry, you may want to consider buying from the developer. If you are, you have very limited options when it comes to buying from the developer (they have very few on hand that are completed, or very close to it), and that leaves the secondary market.

As to whether you overpay, I suppose that's pretty much up to yourself.

But happier and relaxed, that's exactly why I'm moving. I tell my wife, we're moving to be 'relaxed and comfortable', because I feel neither relaxed nor comfortable in Singapore. :smile:

Icyraine

Alfrescian
Loyal

Since u are buying for your parents, i think u need to ask why do they like the 3 storey semi-D so much? Have they checked out the terrace too? Do they like the semi-D because of the interior finishing? or because of the view? do they have any other comparison? or they just like the overall environment in HH (golf course)?

The land area could be bigger in some corner terraces than a semi D, and yet terraces are cheaper. But the material they use in a terrace and semi-D are differrent and the overall feel may be different. I think you should bring your parents and have a look at the subsale terrace market, if they are ok with it, why not go for 2 terrace, one for them, one to rent out?

Last edited:

Bastian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you. I'll go look at NI this weekend. :smile: I went to HH last Sunday but they only told me about The Hills.........
Hi Bastian,
I will always go with developer direct when possible, and it is possible now with Greens launch in HH and as some wrote in NI as well. They normally absorb all kinds of fees and you get the 2 years defect warranty. Also savee hassle of transfer of properties, bumi lots issues, sellers intend to sell and then pullback, etc. If rush, can rent first while developer units come up... just my preference. You have a nice problem.

Bastian

Alfrescian
Loyal
We didn't get check out the link/terrace when I brought them to HH. You're right... I saw on iproperty website some corner terraces with a big land area. I thought they were nice too. I didn't know that the material they use are different! Yes again, I think they just like the overall environment in HH. They felt safer there and liked the golf course (though they don't play!). I'll bring them around HH again and to NI too... They seem quite happy there. Thank you so much.

Since u are buying for your parents, i think u need to ask why do they like the 3 storey semi-D so much? Have they checked out the terrace too? Do they like the semi-D because of the interior finishing? or because of the view? do they have any other comparison? or they just like the overall environment in HH (golf course)?

The land area could be bigger in some corner terraces than a semi D, and yet terraces are cheaper. But the material they use in a terrace and semi-D are differrent and the overall feel may be different. I think you should bring your parents and have a look at the subsale terrace market, if they are ok with it, why not go for 2 terrace, one for them, one to rent out?

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Food standard the same, think the food price the same, only the service charge/tax different..
oh herbal chicken is nice? Must give it a try next time, so far haven't found anything I especially like, go there becos the prices affordable..

It used to be packed within aluminum foil & soup is nice.. now the presentation is without the foil so less tasty for soup..
(not sure if its just my perception)

The chicken rice is quite nice but have to go during lunch since sold out by dinner..

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my 3 years stay at NI... minor power outage happens about 3 or 4 times a year... major power outage (like the whole NI blacked-out) happens about 3 times... good to have some alternative source of light handy

Yup.. packing scented candles for next trip..

Status
Not open for further replies.