• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wld like to know if u have encountered crimes urself.Currently I have too much commitmen in Singapore to shift. Using my JB hse as a weekend home is a maybe. Becoming a weekend maid for e JB hse is likely.

One should know where is blacklisted area, never be afraid. Strangers stop u while walking, never never stop and listen what they have to say... Just wave away.
When driving either give way or speed fast if someone tailgate u. All the time I just package food home and never eat in shops at night...
If u look like a Malaysian, wear slippers, wear short pants, some without shirts, look fierce, can buy a walking stick as weapon if kiasu.....anyone try to be funny just break the skull! That depends where u stay also. Most of the area quite safe. KL now not so safe, maybe Johor police very on so they shift to KL . It's good to go out in a big group, see who bully who! Worse if my khakis from sg, those ex offenders, they will properly rob the bad guys and give them some curry pox!

Last edited:

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks everyone. Bros, i have recently done a U turn at the 2nd link myself after doing it for LGLab last time to test water.
Did it for my folks as i wanted to do a quick exit for their MACS (i know just in case) as they are all there.

Remember you can turn right after clearing the MY customs and see a blue sign, like "pusing balik ke malaysia" :smile:
When returning and doing the U turn, no customs clearance is necessary as we were able to just turn back. We did
request them to scan the MACS sticker when going out though just in case.

Never never do that in 1st link, police waiting the other side. Always see cars put hadzard lights and park one corner, there is a small slot in the middle of causeway.

Bro wuqi if what u said can do at 2nd link, maybe can give it some recce there 1st. Maybe some bros/sis here
go test water can take a pic so I know where to turn and not go straight.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
There is a crime thread that makes interesting reading.

Crime exists, more than the acceptable level, but we should exercise common sense and be on guard all the time.

Agree, we just have to be more vigilant.

Lots of counter measures as well as steering locks (about 69RM for baseball bat type) that one can purchase and pass through customs with no issues.

Nothing beats being vigilant and alert though. At a petrol station, always have your pump ready and look around the surroundings. Fuel can be used to blind and then more. Always lock your car when pumping petrol or going to the counter/toilet.

Everything can be a weapon, be it the squeegee stick used for wiping windows or even a bucket. A cup of hotwater, tea or coffee can be used to confuse and temporarily blind someone while you make your escape. Always run even after getting an advantage over the potential assailant as you may not know if he has any other people on standby or hiding. Do not stay to finish the job even if you are able to.

Where possible take flight and run, where not possible, If you must strike, strike the hardest you can to ensure the person is sufficiently disabled/out of action. Pepper spray is available in Tesco for less than 20 RM as does the steering wheel lock (baseball bat) option.

Batons are good but gravity or telescopic ones will be seized by customs as well so do not bring these when going back. Telescopic ones are useful, always aim for the forearm to disarm rather than just the weapon or hand as the forearm is an easier and slower target to hit. Good against aggressive robbers on motorcycles too. However the best weapons in the world would not help much if one does not have sufficient training or guts to use them. A fruit knife will be useful, easy to explain as well as good in a pitch. Again, run or if its only your wallet they are after, give it to them. Else, if they want to hurt you, hurt them more than they can hurt you, do not punch straight but use the heel of your palm or the side of your hand or use the base of your hand in a punch if you really have to punch.

Always act on the principle of never hurting anyone but be prepared to end it swiftly for them if they want to harm you/your family.

There was one time an associate of mine was followed by a local car after overtaking him and then not in a dangerous manner. I know him as i know his driving style very well. The petty guy followed my friends car until my normally very patient friend finally got upset, stopped by the road and waited with a smile.

The 3 guys in the other car slowed down, saw my mild mannered friend get out and sped off with their tails between their legs. I don't recommend others to do this as he is always well equipped when travelling locally.

Never stop and do what my friend did though, go to petrol kiosks, eateries, police stations, outside of some G&G developments where there are people around.

Again, for those inclined to bullying others, those normally mild mannered or extremely polite types tend to be the worst when they are really agitated.
The old saying, the silent dogs are the ones that kills still holds true to this day.

If you are trapped by motorcyles, cars that block your road and you know your safety and that of your family is threatened, don't just obey and let them do what they want if you still have a choice and they are not held by the perpetrators yet. (If they are, then just obey)

Detour, reverse, avoid and then attack where no other options are available. Remember your car is a weapon too and a massively useful one at that even if your tyre is punctured by them. Even if car stationary, press the horn, turn on all external vehicle lights like hazard lights (not internal as you lose situation awareness once you turn your internal lights on) If it comes to melee, tyre iron, fruit knife, wrenches, screwdrivers are all useful tools to have, avoid carrying anything heavier as you will tend to look for trouble rather than avoiding them. Always avoid the temptation to carry heavier equipment especially if you know you have a bad temper.

These applies to most countries i visited although in some, you kind of actually safer as you can typically carrier heavier gear than most would be robbers.

Remember, those with a death wish will normally get their wish fulfilled.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Never never do that in 1st link, police waiting the other side. Always see cars put hadzard lights and park one corner, there is a small slot in the middle of causeway.

Bro wuqi if what u said can do at 2nd link, maybe can give it some recce there 1st. Maybe some bros/sis here
go test water can take a pic so I know where to turn and not go straight.

Good point, i have never done that at the first link but i did see the sign there. I have done it twice at the 2nd link, one to test for LGlab and another for my family. There are at least two blue signs saying Pusing balik ke malaysia or something to that effect.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello All,

I am happy to finally gotten the key to my superlink in the golf . is currently looking for a electrical contractor for wiring work and Aircond installation. Does anyone have any good one to recommend.

Thank You all in advance.

regards,
Louis

Hello Louis, congratulations on getting the keys.....

The Electrical contractor is currently working on my place and is doing a very good job. His name is Chong and his ctc is 0197640071. The plasterer or false ceiling contractor is Kelvin, ctc. 010 7609790. I am very happy with their work and are very professional. Hope it works for you.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
2nd link u turn - Even if you miss the first u turn, there is another one further up but that one you will have to be more careful to spot as its a space between the road divider.

Again, this is mainly for people in Johore who wants to leave but come back without going to the SG side of the customs.

iceblue

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow bro u scare me leh... Tot I make u sad !..:biggrin:

Come to think about rental, if u divide by 2.49 what is rm2600 or rm1900? U rent a 4 room flat rental higher than anything one is paying here. So it's always good to rent to foreigners. It's really good for sinkies to stay in MY cos it really save plenty of our money! I paying utilities 1/4 of what I pay in SG, now I almost never buy food in SG, I buy 2 prata with egg only rm3, mee goreng with chicken and egg Rm6. Cannot find in SG already! We earn dollar exchange RM , very useful! I feel like a pure Malaysian now!

Bros who haven't move to MY, just try and u will believe it. I came here 12 years ago went to city square where they have property fare, now really heart pain didn't invade here earlier! Last time threshold 250 k now 500k, they coming up idea to increase 1 million! By that time buy lagi heart pain!

Don't mind me asking, for those of you with properties in Malaysia, do you sell away your HDB flats to buy a house in Malaysia or keep the flat for future use/ rent it out?

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good point, i have never done that at the first link but i did see the sign there. I have done it twice at the 2nd link, one to test for LGlab and another for my family. There are at least two blue signs saying Pusing balik ke malaysia or something to that effect.

Roger boss, received loud and clear. Tango Yankee ! Congrats to yr new born and take care! Dun work too hard!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Don't mind me asking, for those of you with properties in Malaysia, do you sell away your HDB flats to buy a house in Malaysia or keep the flat for future use/ rent it out?

Not for me, don't intend to sell or rent it. Just still use it as i still go back to stay at times.

curiouscat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree, i am very lucky that things went out well. Hence recently people who said they want to convince their relatives/friends, i am starting to ask them not to unless they are very very certain. You will also need to see first whether these people can handle the truth if the time comes. Hence only
buy the units you are staying in and then investment only as a second. The responsibility is too much sometimes.

A couple pieces of advice are always good. First people have to make their own decisions about their investments. If they don't understand the potential rewards and risks they shouldn't do it. Investing because some smart friend is investing is not wise.

Second, for investments be able to sustain the loss. For real estate, don't buy if you can't afford to lose you job for a awhile, have the place vacant and not cover the bills. You have to have extra savings in case something bad happens (roof problems, water leak...). If you have the financial resources to maintain even while times are bad you avoid the worst consequences. A bad investment that loses some money isn't great but it isn't so horrible. An investment that forces you to sell your own house when prices fall and create huge losses that you have to cover is when you get in real trouble. If the economic crisis in Europe got worse, and China followed, and then the world economy had real problems and Iskandar real estate when down in value if you can just wait a few years you would probably get out the other side fine. But if you are forced into selling in bad times you can create huge problems for yourself.

Some people know the risks and take them. That isn't me but when they know it is their choice. The thing that bothers me is how many people take risks they don't understand and then suffer.

Often those that are rich take crazy risks. They often got lucky a couple times and now think that they made a bunch of money through their intelligence; instead of knowing it was mainly through luck. They often didn't understanding the risks and rewards at all. These are the riskiest people to listen to. There are, of course, those that understand the risks and investing and those people can provide great advice.

Getting wealthy does not make advice wise. Someone can take all their money and bet on the roulette wheel and win. And then do it again. That can make you rich. But it is foolish. many rich "investors" did very similar things and just don't know it.

Last edited:

curiouscat

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm just curious are there any details provided on how points and power are calculated for each user (I guess how many posts you make is part of it, is that all? or do other things influence it too?)? Or what they do for you (are they just for display and don't really do anything?).

Does wuqi take you out to dinner when you get 100 points or something :smile:

Diaspora

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Diaspora

Thanks for sharing this interesting article. But I would like readers of this forum to ponder about a few things. While I am not trying to be an apologist for property investment in Malaysia, there are lessons to be extracted.

If my memory serves me right, the Singapore Dollar exchange for 1.60 MYR then; today it is 2.50. In simple terms, assuming one purchased a Malaysian property in 1993 at SGD100K/MYR160K and price remained constant. That same property will be worth only SGD64K, resulting in a loss of SGD36K due to foreign exchange. Could that be the reason behind the losses instead?

IMHO, the problem faced by the interviewee seems to be more between an owner and property manager who appears to be the developer too. If I am not wrong, Coco Bay Condominium is then placed in the hands of a hotel brand that in turn derives revenue by providing accommodation to holiday makers through the real estate. As the tenant (hotel brand), it needed the maintenance and taxes to be paid as part of the agreement which obviously did not happen.

Such issues should not apply to all types of property investment in Malaysia but to some. In fact, it is not unique to the country as I have known of such similar challenges in US and New Zealand where poor governance of the property manager and a lack of legal understanding of guaranteed rental return arrangements have led to losses. This is a potential pitfall that we need to avoid. I must emphasize that this is more related to owners who prefer not to have the hassle of managing the property and are typically not buying houses for own use.

Coming back to Mr Gurnani, the problems seem to surface only in 2010, 17 years after his initial investment. If he had been getting yields of at least 6% per annum, he would have received a fairly good return and the house has paid for itself!

:smile: :smile: :smile:

A very interesting analysis indeed...So, based on your analysis, he should have profited from his investment moons ago...or in a worse case scenario, the loss should not be as much as he claimed. Maybe it should be 14years instead of 17 after factoring a 3years construction period...:-)

Diaspora

Alfrescian
Loyal
China:Iskandar 80:20??
2,600units of high end condo with no sales restrictions to foreigners...

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/7/19/business/20120719153223&sec=business

Published: Thursday July 19, 2012 MYT 3:15:00 PM

China company, Medini Iskandar in RM2.6b condo project
By Ng Bei Shan

KUALA LUMPUR: China's Qingdao Zhuoyuan Investment Holdings is teaming up with Iskandar Investment Bhd's subsidiary, Medini Iskandar Malaysia Sdn Bhd to undertake a high-end condominium project.

The companies said on Thursday the project in Medini Iskandar Malaysia, Nusajaya, would have a gross development value of RM2.6bil.
no sales restrictions to foreigners.

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
A couple pieces of advice are always good. First people have to make their own decisions about their investments. If they don't understand the potential rewards and risks they shouldn't do it. Investing because some smart friend is investing is not wise.

Second, for investments be able to sustain the loss. For real estate, don't buy if you can't afford to lose you job for a awhile, have the place vacant and not cover the bills. You have to have extra savings in case something bad happens (roof problems, water leak...). If you have the financial resources to maintain even while times are bad you avoid the worst consequences. A bad investment that loses some money isn't great but it isn't so horrible. An investment that forces you to sell your own house when prices fall and create huge losses that you have to cover is when you get in real trouble. If the economic crisis in Europe got worse, and China followed, and then the world economy had real problems and Iskandar real estate when down in value if you can just wait a few years you would probably get out the other side fine. But if you are forced into selling in bad times you can create huge problems for yourself.

Some people know the risks and take them. That isn't me but when they know it is their choice. The thing that bothers me is how many people take risks they don't understand and then suffer.

Often those that are rich take crazy risks. They often got lucky a couple times and now think that they made a bunch of money through their intelligence; instead of knowing it was mainly through luck. They often didn't understanding the risks and rewards at all. These are the riskiest people to listen to. There are, of course, those that understand the risks and investing and those people can provide great advice.

Getting wealthy does not make advice wise. Someone can take all their money and bet on the roulette wheel and win. And then do it again. That can make you rich. But it is foolish. many rich "investors" did very similar things and just don't know it.

Good post.

2 plus years back, I invested in Iskandar and I took many colleagues to see this place. This is with the hope that some of my friends and colleagues may buy and then we would have a community.

One hears my recommendation, check it out himself and bought a unit and soon he will be may neighbor.

Another young Malaysian colleagues also bought not at my same estate but HH and the last he told me was that someone make him an offers to buy with cash from him at a very good price.

One colleagues also brought along the parents and girlfriend to view the last semi-D ex-stock but did not buy. I always believe that we can only shows them and give them our views but we should never tell them to buy or not to buy. It is an investment decision that a person has to make himself or herself as themselves would knows whether they can take the risks or not.

In my early years of owning a nice property in SG, I have noticed that some of my relatives look at my investment decision and follow suit and they did well too. However they did not continue to look for more property investment opportunities and so things kind of stalled for them. If they have continue to follow suit, I am sure that they will be better off than what they are now.

It is always good to know how much risks that you are prepared to take and to buy within your risks profile.

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got to learn that the husband of a friend suffered a stroke a few days ago resulting in paralysis in one side of his body. Fortunately, the family is able to handle the aftermath pretty well. This reminded me of the importance of health.

We work hard now, and make the investment and action towards our retirement. One thing that can prevent us from enjoying the fruit of our labour is bad health. If not already, dear bro and sis, do start a exercise regime and eat healthily. Drink enough water and ensure sufficient fibre in your diet. Take things easy and think positively.

I wish everyone could enjoy retirement in the way that they have been planning for.

Didjerama

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys,just want to do a quick check for a friend. Is it possible to get a fully furnished house for rental at HH at around rm2500??

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro, well said... you will exchange everything for yours and love one health.. got to exercise and have a balance life

Got to learn that the husband of a friend suffered a stroke a few days ago resulting in paralysis in one side of his body. Fortunately, the family is able to handle the aftermath pretty well. This reminded me of the importance of health.

We work hard now, and make the investment and action towards our retirement. One thing that can prevent us from enjoying the fruit of our labour is bad health. If not already, dear bro and sis, do start a exercise regime and eat healthily. Drink enough water and ensure sufficient fibre in your diet. Take things easy and think positively.

I wish everyone could enjoy retirement in the way that they have been planning for.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys,just want to do a quick check for a friend. Is it possible to get a fully furnished house for rental at HH at around rm2500??

What is your definition of fully furnished, bro?

I think that may vary from landlord to landlord.

Sorry, just kaypoh because I don't have a house for rental at HH. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.