• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi guys.
did you guys went to persada last weekend? Was there Saturday and Sunday, impressed with the scale now and its getting bigger!!

Ended up we bought
1. Laminate flooring package RM3.50 per sqft with installation, skirting at RM4 per foot from floor depot
2. LED fish eye, RM11 each with casing (very very cheap) bought total 30+. (Promoter from KL, dealer in JB is Starworld in Tampoi)
3. Outdoor Water filtering with one Alcalic drinking water system RM3k (IDE)
4. One 11ft sofa in homelife... RM3700.. (nvr like homelife but this sofa was huge and deep, so can sleep 2 person actually.. hahahaha)

Shd hv bought more LED lights, cause other shop outside sell >RM20 each, and also din buy the safe.. shd hv bought one small one and build into the wall since the house is in renovation now.

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi guys.
did you guys went to persada last weekend? Was there Saturday and Sunday, impressed with the scale now and its getting bigger!!

Ended up we bought
1. Laminate flooring package RM3.50 per sqft with installation, skirting at RM4 per foot from floor depot
2. LED fish eye, RM11 each with casing (very very cheap) bought total 30+. (Promoter from KL, dealer in JB is Starworld in Tampoi)
3. Outdoor Water filtering with one Alcalic drinking water system RM3k (IDE)
4. One 11ft sofa in homelife... RM3700.. (nvr like homelife but this sofa was huge and deep, so can sleep 2 person actually.. hahahaha)

Shd hv bought more LED lights, cause other shop outside sell >RM20 each, and also din buy the safe.. shd hv bought one small one and build into the wall since the house is in renovation now.

Wow u so rich man? ! Kana TOTO? :biggrin:

LED lights so cheap? I bought 100 leh. Why u buy only rm20?

Any pic?

bbbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
its a LED spot light.. 3 small liight in one bulb with aluminium casing.. small one.. jus like if u go Bukit indah cinemas they use it in all their toilets...
RM11 not RM20, if 5 lighting points (5 small lights in one bulb) cost maybe RM28...

.. lol.... if LED downlight then expensive abt RM75.. (still cheaper then u RM100) lol.....

The floor depot promotional one cheap loh.. laminating my masterbedroom, audio room and dry kitchen.. total <RM3k bah.

Last edited:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bumped into some 'Ang Mos' in City Square who told me that they are from Singapore but came across by bus for a cheap meal.

Even Ang Mos are looking for bargains these days!

We went to Gelang Patah Tian Lai Seafood on Sunday and there was a table of around 10 Ang Mos enjoying Tiger beer and fried rice. At first we thought they might be from New Castle Uni or Marlborough college. When I ask the waitress, she said that they are from Singapore. Another table beside us sat 3 Japanese, dunno from Sg or My.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
We went to Gelang Patah Tian Lai Seafood on Sunday and there was a table of around 10 Ang Mos enjoying Tiger beer and fried rice. At first we thought they might be from New Castle Uni or Marlborough college. When I ask the waitress, she said that they are from Singapore. Another table beside us sat 3 Japanese, dunno from Sg or My.

Just like what Bro Stevewish mentioned, the spirit of adventure is found in these foreigners and sadly not in most of our local folks.

Many Singaporeans that I talk to have that fear on their faces when you mention JB. But when you finally bring them to Nusajaya, they change their perception immediately. A bit like voting for the Opposition? :smile:

Guess the Ang Mos are also knowing the pinch when it comes to dining in Singapore.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just like what Bro Stevewish mentioned, the spirit of adventure is found in these foreigners and sadly not in most of our local folks.

Many Singaporeans that I talk to have that fear on their faces when you mention JB. But when you finally bring them to Nusajaya, they change their perception immediately. A bit like voting for the Opposition? :smile:

Guess the Ang Mos are also knowing the pinch when it comes to dining in Singapore.

Ang mo doesnt mean they are 'waterfish' or 'carrot (ready to be chopped)' :wink:

Movingaway

Alfrescian
Loyal
Taking up UOB loan,1year lock-in and flexible to put more cash in at any point of time, mrta was waived too.
Legal fees depend on the law firm you engaged.

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal

Exactly. I got an American colleague that is based here in Gelang Patah. Got an employment pass but stays in Sg as wifey 'finds' Johor not safe from the many 'horror stories' from Sg relatives and friends.

He managed to persuade wifey to come one Saturday noon to look at Nusajaya, Iskandar and I hosted them for an afternoon to take them around and the wife's perception is changed.

Now they are doing house hunting to move and stay here rather than in Sg considering that the cost is so much value for money and the security for some development is quite good. It is better than paying much more in rental for a HDB flat as well as paying the $20 Vehicle Entry fee for a Malaysian-registered car.

Ang Mos also don't like to be taken as 'carrot'.

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Taking up UOB loan,1year lock-in and flexible to put more cash in at any point of time, mrta was waived too.
Legal fees depend on the law firm you engaged.

Agree. The UOB banker from KL was real efficient. Even arranged for the document to be courier to Sg and courier back pre-paid.

Another bank, Maybank insisted on mrta which to me is not worth to pay for the high premium.

One good service bank and one not so attractive.

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those r white collar crimes tt r less of my concern. The guy in e street needs a proper job to keep them occupied or feed their families. Higher costs of doing business in Singapore def pushes more companies to invest mfg in Malaysia, which we r witnessing now. It is attracting higher value add companies like those in oil n gas.

I know of one oil and gas company that expand from one factory to 7 factories in the space of 5 years to take advantage of the 5 years pioneer status tax holiday plus low cost of land and low cost of labor.

Now the company is bringing expats and housing them in Nusajaya and that is driving the rental demands for these houses. The locals only look to rent properties around M$600 for whole unit terrace which also equates to lower security for these units.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oil and Gas..
Time to buy Desaru??

Storm brewing over RM35b Johor-Taiwan oil deal in Pengerang

The Malaysian Insider
July 15, 2012

KUALA LUMPUR, July 15 — Johor has quietly agreed with a Taiwanese firm to undertake construction of a RM35 billion oil refinery in Pengerang, a business weekly reported, a decision that could risk triggering a second Lynas storm in Malaysia.

The Edge Business and Investment Weekly reported in its latest edition that the Johor government had inked an agreement with Taiwan’s CPC Corp last week with little fanfare despite Putrajaya’s eagerness to court foreign firms in its bid to push Malaysia into the ranks of high-income nations by 2020.

“A letter of undertaking was signed early last week between the state and Kuokang... [however] the formal announcement has to come from the Taiwan government, not from Johor,” the weekly quoted an unnamed executive close to the deal as saying.

The paper reported that CPC’s majority shareholder Kuokang Petrochemical Tehnology Co will be taking a lead in the construction as the word among industry players is that the Taiwanese company’s plant in Kaohsiung will be shuttered within three years due to long-standing complaints of pollution by the country’s environmental groups.

The project involves the building of a petroleum refinery complex capable of handling load of up to 150,000 barrels-a-day and a naphtha cracker with an annual capacity of 800,000 tonnes, the paper reported, adding that the project was still in early stages.

The Edge reported that state-run CPC had initially planned on building the oil refinery in Taiwan but was forced to relocate after the island nation’s president Ma Ying-jeou pulled his support for the project last year due to intense lobbying from domestic green groups.

CPC turned to Malaysia because it is closer than the Middle East and Johor is understood to have promised to transfer land for the company’s use, the paper reported.

But the multi-billion ringgit project may face equally strong opposition here as in Taiwan.

In April this year, a group of 578 fishermen initiated a lawsuit against the Johor government and its contractors to stop a RM5 billion Pengerang petrochemical hub from being built in their backyard, which they claim is affecting their livelihood.

The two projects, one by Petronas, and the other by Kuokuang, carry a combined investment value in excess of RM120 billion and could catapult Malaysia into position as Asia’s petrochemical hub.

But Minister of International Trade and Industry, Datuki Seri Mustapa Mohamed, told Parliament last month that no formal application has been submitted to his ministry for approval.

Unprecedented public anger against Australia miner, Lynas Corp’s RM2.5 billion rare earth refinery in Kuantan appears to be fertilising Malaysia’s green movement against big-money projects and the ruling Barisan Nasional (BN) government has been careful not to step on the toes of voters ahead of key national polls that must be called soon.

The controversial project is seen as major election fodder, particularly as the BN coalition had lost four states, including money-spinners Selangor and Penang, to opposition parties at the last general election in 2008.

Lynas’ bid to fire up its refinery, touted as the world’s biggest outside China, and meet a global demand, has since stalled while the federal government holds back on granting it the necessary permits that will allow it to begin operations.

iceblue

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

I am new here and am doing my research before I take the plunge. For those of you that are already putting up in JB, how is the daily commute like? Is it very taxing? I have two children, one studing in the East and the other in the Central. Not sure if this will take a toll on them. I really hope that the Singapore gverment changes the timing for schools arcoss the island as discussed....their talks have all of the sudden gone all cold.

sgdina

This is a new thread to continue from the previous Living in JB one, started to continue on as Living in JB will be closed after 800 pages.

To recap, the very first post i made on the topic:

Fellow countrymen, i am fed up with the system and uprooting my family to JB. My friends are doing the same

This is my plan:

Get a couple of higher end properties for around 200k, example near to golf course, etc. Get properties with at least 3 layers of security. Secure your place with additional CCTV cameras etc. Live there and continue working in SG. Take morning express bus to Jurong East and take MRT or park your car there beforehand so you can continue from Jurong East by car:
http://www.handalindah.com.my/latest.php

Places like Mont Calista, Horizon hills and others are just good examples. Especially Horizon Hills as its a very integrated place. A Chinese primary school, international school, shops are all there inside the secured compound.

It also has a full 18 hole golf course and my parents and siblings were amazed.
It really took us a total of 15 minutes to the place and its very nice and close to all amenities. I am taking my keys to my 2nd unit there and i must say, its really nice with a nice resort feel. The golf course and olympic sized pool helps too.

Mont Calista is great too, lots of space and very big.

Hi wuqi256, I'm intending to purchase a house in JB. Viewed Sapphire 8 Semi-D at Bandar Seri Alam and fell in love at first sight! The area is however not fully developed. Thing is I'm unsure if this area will be as integrated in the future as the Nusajaya now. Senibong Villas and Senibong Coves are just around the same area of Bandar Seri Alam. One pros about this area is it is easily accessible by the new Eastern Dispersal Link (EDL). That made distance shorter. It took me 15-20 minutes to reach Sapphire 8 from Woodlands Checkpoint.

Mont Callista looks good but seems a little too far ley.. is it accessible by any highway? I haven't been there.

Horizon Hills prices have rocketed! Can't get the same Semi-D price of Sapphire 8 in Horizon Hills.

Your thoughts please!

sgdina

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

I am new here and am doing my research before I take the plunge. For those of you that are already putting up in JB, how is the daily commute like? Is it very taxing? I have two children, one studing in the East and the other in the Central. Not sure if this will take a toll on them. I really hope that the Singapore gverment changes the timing for schools arcoss the island as discussed....their talks have all of the sudden gone all cold.

U need to transfer them to schools in either woodlands, yishun or sembawang, then u can call entury bus to pick them up from yr place in JB and they will bring them back safely from school. Cost only Rm 350 depending area.. If they go morning session they have to wake up quite early, it's a sacrifice the kids have to go tru but weekend we have to bring them out and give them a good meal or movie as reward, at least we can have a bigger house in MY and enjoy and cheap food, almost everything is cheap compare to SG!
Chicken rice at Garden by the Bay $20 bucks! Pure ridicule !
http://centurybus.com.my/htm/aboutus.html

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

If you are really hard-pressed to save costs and your children can manage their time well, then prob this is the way to go. If not, I would prefer my children to save transportation time.

Last edited:

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
its a LED spot light.. 3 small liight in one bulb with aluminium casing.. small one.. jus like if u go Bukit indah cinemas they use it in all their toilets...
RM11 not RM20, if 5 lighting points (5 small lights in one bulb) cost maybe RM28...

.. lol.... if LED downlight then expensive abt RM75.. (still cheaper then u RM100) lol.....

The floor depot promotional one cheap loh.. laminating my masterbedroom, audio room and dry kitchen.. total <RM3k bah.

Mine is square shape and with many led in it, once turn on very bright. Looks like toilet light round type diameter around 15 cm, very bright and nice Rm 100 only. Can last very long, not so hot also, once turn on, no blinking straight away on simultaneously! Energy saving also. U guys should change some lighting to LED also.....

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are really hard-pressed to save costs and your children can manage their time well, then prob this is the way to go. If not, I would prefer my children to save transportation time.

Bro can share r u staying JB already? And how yr kids go school?

Status
Not open for further replies.