• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi GReddy88. what other options do you think are good.. care to share... HH atmo seems to be pricey to me.. so i would like to know more options which are good and affordable.....

Bro, check out mount Austin area, Setia tropika, bandar dato Onn, I believe they hv corner/end lot at 500k...
I got mine there...they hv everything except of course the golf course as nice as HH..

Cheers and happy new year to all bros and sis here..

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,
How is his carpentry work? Or have you come across any quality kitchen cabinet builder and designer? A bit expensive is fine..

Do not think they applied for any as its part of the build up area.
For me I gain 22x12 ft which I converted to a small rm & wet kitchen..
Some pple even build the 2nd storey & relocation the toliets.. (nice but much more ex)

The only problem was he disengaged the phone line & it was not reinstalled back by telecom..

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro Yonglip,

Can you provide the breakdown, please?

I also want to make my wife and kids happy.

Thanks bro. Yes thats Reinforced Concrete i.e Concrete with an inner core of steel Rebars.

Guess what, i made up a list recently and my budget (ALL IN) is around 75K or SGD30K. i reckon it will keep wifey and 3 kids happy whenever they stay over during the weekends/hols. Haha.

Cheers.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will still suggest gated though for peace of mind.....I think the clusters semi-d are selling cheaper. I rem seeing posters of cheap clusters pasted ard Jusco Tebrau. May be possible to get a new cluster semi-d at less than RM 600k, but at slightly off locations. Because locals dont really like clusters as there's no backyard view. For me, I dont see a great diff. Perhaps some of the other bros can help. I am not a garden person, and my family is small, so a simple terrace is gd enuff for me liao..... hehe....

Bro , I was once like you guys , thinking that a simple terrace is good enough . After you stay a few years , you get shoik liao , want to upgrade to Semi D . By then price of Semi D up a lot how ? Like Bro Wuqi advise , buy the biggest you can afford , not the cheapest and smallest you think you need currently. :smile:

You will be surprised that your relatives start to visit you , your childen with kids might want to stay overnight with you . More like a big place for family gathering . By then you will appreciate the space that a Semi D have .

Last edited:

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Nicholas1213,

NI 8B comes with access-card entry. In case you are wondering.

Greetings and happy CNY to everyone here! My very first post in this forum and indeed very helpful information all around.

Similar to some of the forumer here, I'm also currently looking to secure a property in JB more for own stay purpose.

I'd been visiting some of the common area mentioned by all bros here lately, and just to share some of my own view.
Note : The comments are based on the unit that I've visited personally, and it does not imply to other units in that area, so I hope nobody will get offended.

EL and LF are obviously out of budget range, now left HH, NI and ND which still under consideration.

HH : Currently in the top of my list, liked the surrounding, location and security there.
The Gateway (HH) : All resale units. 2-storey terrace about RM485k - 520k, while cluster house is 720k. I believe most of the units were purchased for investment purpose and thus none has stayed in the house before (some are not even rented out). The unit that I'd visited is not really in good condition.

The Golf (HH) : All resale units. The Golf double-storey (24'x75') is going for around 650k-700k and cluster is above 800k, compare to The Gateway it is more expensive (I believe mainly due to larger build-up area too). House is in better condition (perhaps due to newer phase??)

The Green (HH) : Waiting for The Green's 2-storey terrance (22'x75') launch to make further comparison. According to HH sales office, they will use mostly porcelain tile throughout the whole house rather than normal ceramic tile, however it would make no difference if renovation will be done later. Similar price psf with The Hills / The Golf (based on indicative price).

The Hills (HH) : 2-storey terrance unit are big and spacious (26' x 80') but a bit overbudget (> 800k). However if compare price psf, it is still reasonable.

NI (Nusa Idaman) : I find it quite an ideal place right after HH especially the location. Not sure why the sales are going slow in NI as I find the price are attractive and competitive compared to others. Just some minor concern about the access-card as most of the other ready - precinct e.g. Phase 5 & 6 doesn't have it. Surprise to find out that the Precinct 8b end lots are almost sold out as back in early Jan there were quite some units available - personally liked the end lot design compared to Precinct 7. They are selling Courtyard 3 (24' x 80') too - named as Phase 7b but located in Precinct 5. Priced at 570k intermediate unit and 665k end lot but found out some of the resale units from Courtyard 2 are only selling 500k with same land size (24' x 80').

ND (Nusa Duta) : Visited the cluster house (22' x 70') + 10' land beside, liked the design and security but all are resale and priced around 620k (was 580k back in Dec 2011). Location wise it is closer to the Gaint / Tesco etc but I find the location crowded and prefer those more secluded area e.g. HH or NI to have a quieter surrounding.

Other nearby projects - Nusa Sentral / Nusa Bayu are mostly below 500k and much further away from the coastal highway / shopping complex / etc, so i do not include them here.

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
HI juzanee,

Great job! You are a good man or woman.

Hi all, I've been lurking around this forum for awhile. Definitely a lot of info here! Noticed that some people suggested categorizing the content, but guess that goes against the whole "forum feel".

So I've created a new site called livinginjb.info, compiling useful information from these two thread. I'm still on the first forum, working backwards from page 800. Now only reached Page 698! 600 over pages to go.

Hope you all find the new site useful!

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you , I got big job for him to do sometime this year . Hopefully price wont go up too far, help by coming recession . Can made reference to your big name to get discount ?

Just as reference, I got a quote from Dewani to compare & Dewani quoted twice as much..
For most contractors, the margins are quite thin so discounts/rebates are based on volume workscope..
No harm trying.. just say the araskia owner of who did the backyard extension in Setia Eco Gardens..

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,
How is his carpentry work? Or have you come across any quality kitchen cabinet builder and designer? A bit expensive is fine..

For carpentry, I took the package from Classy for kitchen cabinet cos its cheap..
9 ft top/bottom at 3999rm (good enough since its weekend home for me)

bedroom wardrobe took from signature kitchen offer price at persada.. Their quality & service is quite good.. though during installation they damaged my laminate flooring..

Go for the persada fair to get the contacts & quotes.. for wong, he did masonry, piping, plaster ceiling, painting, tilting...
For grills, was very happy with Zheng Thong..

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just as reference, I got a quote from Dewani to compare & Dewani quoted twice as much..
For most contractors, the margins are quite thin so discounts/rebates are based on volume workscope..
No harm trying.. just say the araskia owner of who did the backyard extension in Setia Eco Gardens..

Thank you . Actually no need big discount , as long as they dont chop carrot me can liao . I guess with reference to your project , more or less they give face a bit , wont chop carrot , haha .

Last edited:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you so much. My current contractor seemed honest and decent, but quality of work is really poor.. a bit like 3rd world or china village standard..
.. If that is JB standard, I have nothing to say so I am really keen to see of such sub standard work is a norm..

For carpentry, I took the package from Classy for kitchen cabinet cos its cheap..
9 ft top/bottom at 3999rm (good enough since its weekend home for me)

bedroom wardrobe took from signature kitchen offer price at persada.. Their quality & service is quite good.. though during installation they damaged my laminate flooring..

Go for the persada fair to get the contacts & quotes.. for wong, he did masonry, piping, plaster ceiling, painting, tilting...
For grills, was very happy with Zheng Thong..

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro Yonglip,

Can you provide the breakdown, please?

I also want to make my wife and kids happy.

haha. ok bro. i extract this from my spreadsheet..its jus initial ball park figures...work-in-progress.

Whole house window/door grilles; simple straight grey $10,000.00
Whole house curtains/roller blinds $5,000.00

Installation of 3 fans/lights/water heaters/sys 4 inverter aircon (all rooms) $15,000.00
fridge (full size cos a lot of cooking expected) and washing machine $3,000.00

sofa set and dining table x 2 + misc furnitures and family area bookshelf and table $5,000.00
king size bed, 4 single beds with mattress with side tables and lamps $10,000.00
built in wardrobes x 4 rooms + kitchen with sink and dish drainer only $25,000.00

water filter system $2,200.00

total about 75,000.

Mine is slightly less cos i have no intention to build TV console and have TV at living room. Also my place already has built in alarm system and timber laminate on stairs and upper floors.

cheers.

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing, bro yonglip. It is very informative. I better start watching my expenditure closely to save up for all these.

haha. ok bro. i extract this from my spreadsheet..its jus initial ball park figures...work-in-progress.

Installation of 3 fans/lights/water heaters/sys 4 inverter aircon (all rooms) $15,000.00

sofa set and dining table x 2 + misc furnitures and family area bookshelf and table $5,000.00
king size bed, 4 single beds with mattress with side tables and lamps $10,000.00
built in wardrobes x 4 rooms + kitchen with sink and dish drainer only $25,000.00

total about 75,000.

Mine is slightly less cos i have no intention to build TV console and have TV at living room. Also my place already has built in alarm system and timber laminate on stairs and upper floors.

cheers.

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you so much. My current contractor seemed honest and decent, but quality of work is really poor.. a bit like 3rd world or china village standard..
.. If that is JB standard, I have nothing to say so I am really keen to see of such sub standard work is a norm..

Bro, depends on your perception of standard.. which is the reno item below your expectation?
supervision may be required to avoid disappointment.. for my master bedroom toilet shower screen, I had told the main con the exact positioning but the sub con installed differently.. told them to remove & reinstall..

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal

total about 75,000.

cheers.
Bro,
Just a few items to consider..
a. painting (interior/exterior)
b. electrical for additional socket/relocation
c. hob/hood for cooking
d. door replacement
e. auto-gate

Actually I replaced all the room doors with timber grain doors as they CMI in my view..
An option is to use laminate which shd be cheaper..

For auto gate, its really more convenient esp when raining..

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal

cheers.

Yonglip bro, your water heater is instant or storage tank? I used to storage heater, and hoping to keep it that way. Also, anyone know if the bathrooms for existing HH homes can accomodate these storage heaters without needing to hack entire bathrooms down?

Also, your budget for water filtration system is for a point-of-entry system? Was talking to a relative from KL last night, his P.o.E filteration system cost about 5k (if I heard and remembered correctly), and is due for a change about now after 10 years of usage.

Great work juzanee! I am still reading the entire thread as well after 3 months, but I always forget where I stopped.

Last edited:

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
To add on. I was advised to install water tank because of occassional water supply disruption in JB. Any bro and sis can comment on this?

Yonglip bro, your water heater is instant or storage tank? I used to storage heater, and hoping to keep it that way. Also, anyone know if the bathrooms for existing HH homes can accomodate these storage heaters without needing to hack entire bathrooms down?

Also, your budget for water filtration system is for a point-of-entry system? Was talking to a relative from KL last night, his P.o.E filteration system cost about 5k (if I heard and remembered correctly), and is due for a change about now after 10 years of usage.

Great work juzanee! I am still reading the entire thread as well after 3 months, but I always forget where I stopped.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,
Just a few items to consider..
a. painting (interior/exterior)
b. electrical for additional socket/relocation
c. hob/hood for cooking
d. door replacement
e. auto-gate

Actually I replaced all the room doors with timber grain doors as they CMI in my view..
An option is to use laminate which shd be cheaper..

For auto gate, its really more convenient esp when raining..

thanks bro.

painiting - will keep to the colour scheme of the developer. both interior and exterior.

yes. may need additional power point/relocation

not intending to get a hood/hob. will get instead one induction cooker (SGD30+). want to avoid need to call gasman. hood need to maintain/clean. will install exhaust fan instead.

will stick to original doors.

auto-gate - something i thought about. will most likely nstall at a later time when staying there becomes more permanent i.e.retiring there.

cheers.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal

the water filter is drinkstar stainless steel sand type + another indoor filter. The sand will filter out most of the sediments so that the indoor one can work properly. I think suffice for home use. i think price has come down over the years.

my water heater will be the standard stand alone type. i used storage type before. i dont quite like it cos it means you have to keep it on all the time else there is a lag time between turning it on and waiting for the water to be hot.

over the years, i realised that it is better and indeed cheaper to keep things as simple as possible.

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.