• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last done 1.25-1.3mil.

Furthermore this unit is fully fitted with designer deco condition. Almost like new. Furniture can be included as well. =)

No head no tail , what size , location , facing , bank valuation are very important detail we need to know ma .

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Come on , the root of the problem is from the Gov . There is an invisible 20% line that determine the have and have not . The future will be top 20% get to Uni , get the top jobs , get to stay in condo , get to own a car . Hence if you are below the 50% , most likely you need to work extra hard or extra lucky to do well .

I think it is meaningless for SG kids today to stress so much in SG system when other kids from Philippines, India, China etc have an easy life studying in their home countries and yet able to work in the same jobs in SG upon graduation.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No head no tail , what size , location , facing , bank valuation are very important detail we need to know ma .

For Salesman whatever they are selling are good deal...
If it is so good, do we still have chance?

Last edited:

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
Terrace @ 1.2M is good deal meh ?

Got to consider the following to determine if it is a good deal :

1. Is it a corner terrace with 20 ft land, carpet grass?
2. Built up area - is it above $3000 sq ft?
3. Excluding land, is it at least 28ft x 80 ft?
4. Car porch - is it fully tiled?
5. Main gate is it replaced with stainless steel or aluminum material with auto gate system?
6. Is there at least 4 security cameras installed to monitor the unit's compound?
7. Kitchen cabinet is it at least 10 ft long bottom and top with korean top or granite top?
8. Is second floor and staircase fully parquet?
9. Is all rooms air conditioned fully and all bathroom installed with water heaters with pump on at least all the second floor bathrooms?
10. Is all windows and door iron grilled with solid (not hollow type) wrought iron?
11. Is it with wall paper(preferably) and install with day curtains as well?
12. Is all water taps in kitchen and bathrooms replaced with stainless steel European make.
13. Lightings - is it tastefully done?
14. Most important, is it built on a good location which is non-contentious?

The rest, movable furnitures are not so important for consideration as those fitted ones and taste varies widely.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
shouldnt restrict sinkies to buy overseas properties ma , u see malaysia has any restrictions for their ppl to buy or not ?
ya , i think only the PRC and Indians will convert , not many malaysians will do it ...
In the first place , PR are not suppose to buy hdb , they can only rent or buy private housing ....
Sinkies really has no place in this country!!

For a long period of time, single PR siblings can buy HDB flat while single Singaporean siblings can't. Although this scheme has been stopped subsequently, many PR siblings already taken advantage of this scheme, I personally know a few Msian siblings who bought flats.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
malaysians tenants are usually quite ok one leh , jus that they like to rent the whole house and all the relatives and friends stay together so that each of them paying less rentals ...

Not really, I have experience of two separate cases of Msian tenants who damaged the flooring and choked the sink & bath tub.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would think $1.2 million is an incredible pricing for an inter terrace no matter how nicely done or well-furnished the unit is.

Well, sinkies think SGD 2.6m 99-year leasehold is a fantastic deal (Haus @ serangoon). RM 1.2m is hardly incredible......probably peanuts to them. Haha.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
many thanks for your great help.
we still strugerring to move this step or not, we got this thinking due to plan my son (5 years old) go to Marlborough college instead go to SIN primary school (too stress) in next 2 years.
Who can tell me is Marlborough college education is better than SIN primary school, i really have no idea how to decide on my son future.:confused::*::rolleyes:

Bro Muncheah

I have 2 children of school going age and was also staring at the crossroads like you. If money is the least of my concern, I would have preferred an alternative education path for them. On the stress level in primary school, whilst it is to be expected, it goes against the grain of my own childhood experience. Maybe I really played more than studied but the way the children are being conditioned these days, I am deeply concerned.

For those who are parents, you may agree with me that the school no longer is the platform for learning but it is all but a stage. Many of the students these days 'learn' outside the school system through the enrichment classes and for some, the parents. Teachers skim through the lessons and if the children are out of synch with the pace, the question (what is wrong is your son?) will be thrown back at you.

Despite all the hype and talk that the Singapore education is the best in the world (or is it?), we continue to lack behind the Foreign Talents (FTs). At least that is what the Government and employers think so.

I read up about Marlborough and like the emphasis on an all-round education (including sports and arts). If I can afford it, it would be my choice. :smile: :smile: :smile:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have the same thinking.. I am not impressed with Singapore Education.. even though we know many people would want to put their kids for Singapore education..

Bro Muncheah

I have 2 children of school going age and was also staring at the crossroads like you. If money is the least of my concern, I would have preferred an alternative education path for them. On the stress level in primary school, whilst it is to be expected, it goes against the grain of my own childhood experience. Maybe I really played more than studied but the way the children are being conditioned these days, I am deeply concerned.

For those who are parents, you may agree with me that the school no longer is the platform for learning but it is all but a stage. Many of the students these days 'learn' outside the school system through the enrichment classes and for some, the parents. Teachers skim through the lessons and if the children are out of synch with the pace, the question (what is wrong is your son?) will be thrown back at you.

Despite all the hype and talk that the Singapore education is the best in the world (or is it?), we continue to lack behind the Foreign Talents (FTs). At least that is what the Government and employers think so.

I read up about Marlborough and like the emphasis on an all-round education (including sports and arts). If I can afford it, it would be my choice. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Education then and now
04:45 AM Jul 24, 2012
From Stephan Yang

Over two decades ago, at age 15, I started giving tuition to supplement my family's income. This continued till I graduated from university.

My pupils mostly shared a modest family background, and tuition was purely to revise concepts that were grasped well in class and to improve school grades. They were borderline pupils scoring barely 50 out of 100 and aiming for a commendable 75-80 score.

As one who moved up societal layers, from neighbourhood schools (primary and secondary) to a top-tier college, I shared with my pupils my circumstances and life values, and how thankful I was that my hopes were kept alive through perseverance.

I worked hard, which was all I needed for a fair shot at success in life.

Sadly, the profile of pupils needing tuition now is more varied. The possibility of finding a repeat story of my success is becoming remote, as growing affluence has skewed the playing field towards the rich.

It is even harder to find teachers and tutors who aspire to pass on both academic and valuable life lessons to the young.

I observe how teachers are under pressure to uphold school standards vis-a-vis other schools, and are assessed from the sidelines, rather than through active, healthy governance, to meet statistical key performance indicators.

When put on the line, the dilemma of "what's in it for me" versus "what's good for the children" boils down to a balance of reality, pragmatism and conscience in each educator.

In a totally unregulated market now, with no obligation to abide by a set of ethos, the enrichment and tuition centres fare worse.

Many are unabashed to flaunt stellar Primary School Leaving Examination results; some even impose barriers of entry to the less well-off through a stringent selection process of pre-entrance tests and high fees.

Overall, education has become a survival game, where the fittest, with the ability to buy access to better educational materials, better teachers and better enrichment exposure, wins. It is a perpetual cycle.

When I look back, I recall with pride and gratitude how civic education and Confucianism played a huge part in my student life. I attribute a huge part of my positive experience and outcome to the good governance and moral ethics observed in education then.

What would the children of today recall when they look back on their education years? Are we subjecting them to a backlash from a system managed by only broad guidelines and corporate-centric KPIs?

URL http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120724-0000026/Education-then-and-now
Copyright 2012 MediaCorp Pte Ltd | All Rights Reserved

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would think $1.2 million is an incredible pricing for an inter terrace no matter how nicely done or well-furnished the unit is.

It may be incredible now but who would have thought that this could be the kind of price 2 years ago and what would it be like in another 3 years from now. It is anybody guess.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wish school to impart human values such as moral, respect for elders and emphasize more on character building .. I wish the teachers will not outsource the standard education to the parents assuming everyone is rich enough to have tutors.. I wish the teachers are like what we have in the older times.. Those that really love teaching and make a difference.. I wish all those who want to strike rich in teaching better in joining grassroots or pap instead..

Good to hear that I am not the only one! :p

But are the Ministers listening?

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
It may be incredible now but who would have thought that this could be the kind of price 2 years ago and what would it be like in another 3 years from now. It is anybody guess.

We have to think in terms of current property market conditions in SG and MY. If HDB 3 rooms flats are selling above SG $500k, then RM1.2 mil for the inter terrace would be a good deal under current public transportation and causeway traffic conditions.

When the the MRT link is completed, then it would be a different story as the worries about long jams and lateness for work would be much less an issue and more new demand would arises out of this and lend support to increasing asking prices by sellers.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have to think in terms of current property market conditions in SG and MY. If HDB 3 rooms flats are selling above SG $500k, then RM1.2 mil for the inter terrace would be a good deal under current public transportation and causeway traffic conditions.

When the the MRT link is completed, then it would be a different story as the worries about long jams and lateness for work would be much less an issue and more new demand would arises out of this and lend support to increasing asking prices by sellers.

Haha this is what I wrote to [email protected] on their request for feedback to make better use of Singapore's land......hehe

Suggestion: Reduce the no. of golf courses and make more use of JB's golf courses. Improve transport links with JB via 3rd or 4th link, and build more MRTs to link to JB. This ensures a sizeable no of malaysians can live in JB and work in SG (ie New Jersey and New York), and improve Singapore's liveability. Labour intensive industries can be shifted across the causeway to optimise land usage, but again, this needs to be supported by good transport linkages.

Status
Not open for further replies.