• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
** Posted this in another thread too, apologies if its repetitive.. **

Has anyone rented their property out directly instead of going thru agents. Any samples of tenancy agreement (specific to Msia), or advice would be appreciated. If it's too sensitive to post here, please PM me.

Thank you.

Sanur

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can understand how your wife and most people think. The commute daily is not something very pleasant to do. My wife was against the idea to buy a property here.. Most will think it is a white elephant and dangerous thing to do. One day I just bought my wife to HH... After seeing the landscape and the space, in stead of saying "no no no no no", she said "yes yes yes yes yes".. Instead of choosing the smallest house, she asked for the bungalow and we put the deposit... I need to spend next few days arguing in order to ask her settling for something smaller in between.

I felt that when you are still employed, you dare to buy or rent.. If you are old and without job, you might not rent or buy anything... Maybe your children need to live with you or you need to help looking after your grand children.... At the end, you will still give up and live in singapore... Singapore is a cool place to live, but you need income to live without fear, unfortunately..

I am using my house here as a weekend getaway and have no intention to rent it out. It soundso wasteful and doesn't make any sense, but the view I have last week with flock of birds flying high across the golf course, and the feel of a place to retire in future after all the hard work in singapore, is making myself feel very good.. compare with people buying cars in singapore, buying a house here seem wiser..

Hi,

I totally agree with you..due to my daughter PSLE episode, we have not been to my place, many tot we hv made a wrong choice of buying n leaving it empty, last week we went in to stay for a week, seeing my kids enjoying d tree house n doing up two tire swings, (each only rm1) it's just all worthwhile, told my hub, we saved on those package holidays which usually cost us more than 10k.
Friends commented too that we r turning our place into mini adventure park after we add in the flying fox, rope net climber n hopefully able to get someone to do van conversion to look like a parked caravan!

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is very nice... restaurant, expensive clothing, expensive cars and holidays, materials etc are nothing as compared to natural happiness and simplicity..
Especial for the kids, the ability to run around freely is something quite amiss in Singapore.. Computer exposure is not ideal as well..
Your tree house and flying fox is what I did in my childhood built by myself and my neighbors... nothing can replace these...

Hi,

I totally agree with you..due to my daughter PSLE episode, we have not been to my place, many tot we hv made a wrong choice of buying n leaving it empty, last week we went in to stay for a week, seeing my kids enjoying d tree house n doing up two tire swings, (each only rm1) it's just all worthwhile, told my hub, we saved on those package holidays which usually cost us more than 10k.
Friends commented too that we r turning our place into mini adventure park after we add in the flying fox, rope net climber n hopefully able to get someone to do van conversion to look like a parked caravan!

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need to be defensive.

Neither am I making a judgement of your suggestions. In fact, I agree with some aspects of it.

I'm just pointing out the facts to facilitate a constructive discussion about this topic.

There are many things the Govt can do, but do they have the guts to do it?

1) Transport -- COE sys for 1, needs reforming for the interest of the middle-class. Many easy ways to improve the sys for the middle-class, but is the govt willling to disadvantage the elites?

2) Population -- More incentives can be given to increase birth rates of citizens, such as HDB flat discounts. But is the govt willing to invest in its citizens?

3) Health -- Public heath spending as a % of GDP is disgraceful. But is the govt willing to increase its overall spending beyond the historically low 17% of GDP?

4) Housing -- Our housing market is in a state of bubble, due to historically low interest rates. This is partly due to the govt needs to keep CPF rates low. Is the govt willing to look at measures to ensure a more sustainable housing market, such as a "housing loan tax"?

5) Economy -- Is the Govt willing to take a long & hard look at whether their strategy of "low wages, high rental" policy is sustainable? As Prof Lim pointed out, our wages as a % of GDP is embarassing. Yet we see many SME with super low margins due to the high rental, charges etc.

6) Free press -- Part of the country's problem is compounded by our low press freedom ranking. Is the govt willing to let the press play a more active & vigilant role in ensuring citizens' voices are correctly reflected?

7) CPF returns - Is the govt willing to index our CPF returns to inflation rates, such that savers are not unnecessarily penalised? Even Malaysia's EPF seems to give a fairer return to citizens. If so, there would be no need to increase the CPF min sums.

Except for point 5, I have little confidence that our govt has the will to solve these problems. Even on pt 5, we are moving far too slowly to tackle the drug overdose of cheap labour.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

1) Transport -- COE sys for 1, needs reforming for the interest of the middle-class. Many easy ways to improve the sys for the middle-class, but is the govt willling to disadvantage the elites?

2) Population -- More incentives can be given to increase birth rates of citizens, such as HDB flat discounts. But is the govt willing to invest in its citizens?

3) Health -- Public heath spending as a % of GDP is disgraceful. But is the govt willing to increase its overall spending beyond the historically low 17% of GDP?

4) Housing -- Our housing market is in a state of bubble, due to historically low interest rates. This is partly due to the govt needs to keep CPF rates low. Is the govt willing to look at measures to ensure a more sustainable housing market, such as a "housing loan tax"?

5) Economy -- Is the Govt willing to take a long & hard look at whether their strategy of "low wages, high rental" policy is sustainable? As Prof Lim pointed out, our wages as a % of GDP is embarassing. Yet we see many SME with super low margins due to the high rental, charges etc.

6) Free press -- Part of the country's problem is compounded by our low press freedom ranking. Is the govt willing to let the press play a more active & vigilant role in ensuring citizens' voices are correctly reflected?

7) CPF returns - Is the govt willing to index our CPF returns to inflation rates, such that savers are not unnecessarily penalised? Even Malaysia's EPF seems to give a fairer return to citizens. If so, there would be no need to increase the CPF min sums.

Except for point 5, I have little confidence that our govt has the will to solve these problems. Even on pt 5, we are moving far too slowly to tackle the drug overdose of cheap labour.

Thank you for your comments my learned friend.

Hope that they will listen to you as i hope that they can still make changes in time. Someone once told me that the EPF they have in Malaysia, they think they will never get it as well despite it having higher interest rate than us. I asked them, do you need the EPF to survive in old age? All replied that they can do quite well without even touching it at all.

Hence therein lies the difference, CPF is critical to most of us, while EPF is at most a bonus to most of them. Like what our learned bro FT said, we have to plan our life around CPF as it is better to depend on ourselves and plan ahead.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Just got a very uplifting PM from someone. Thank you very much for your kind words. I can get 99999 insulting PMs or emails but just one like this is enough to strengthen my resolve to continue. I will do my best to spread the news

On another note, got a weird PM to delete a thread but when i went there, its nothing but a test thread.

Alfrescian (M) Join Date:Jun 2012

delete thread
Hi mod, can you delete this thread?
It will land the TS in serious trouble.
It has already been deleted from edmw.
thanks

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are good points.. If one think negatively or pessimistically, the citizens are the PAP main source of income.. they will go all out to lower the labour costs.. but utility, rentals transport etc are their biggest income stream..will they change? unlikely because it is all about making money.. likewise for our CPFs, it is as good as theirs..

tansi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

After a number of overseas holiday tour, I do share your thoughts. No tour beats owning a plot of land and use it as you like to create. No rushing here and there to maximise what you had paid for a tour, just enjoy it leisurely, add when you have an idea and see money grows.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys

From 1st link via coastal highway to BI , the flyover near Thistle hotel has opened !
Its has shorten the journey to BI , no need do a u turn at Tun Aminiah Hospital liao ....

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys

From 1st link via coastal highway to BI , the flyover near Thistle hotel has opened !
Its has shorten the journey to BI , no need do a u turn at Tun Aminiah Hospital liao ....

Thank you Crystal. You are a dear. That U turn at Tun Aminah Hospital, hopefully is just a short term fix. I think it is rather dangerous especially when you get vehicles travelling at high speed suddenly trying to slow down when a vehicle is trying to get into the U turn lane..... a very bad accident waiting to happen.....

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you Crystal. You are a dear. That U turn at Tun Aminah Hospital, hopefully is just a short term fix. I think it is rather dangerous especially when you get vehicles travelling at high speed suddenly trying to slow down when a vehicle is trying to get into the U turn lane..... a very bad accident waiting to happen.....

oh ya , i almost kenna when i did a u turn ....got honked very loud by the msian car .....

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh ya , i almost kenna when i did a u turn ....got honked very loud by the msian car .....

Sis, from 1st link, I always exit at 'JB Sentral', and follow the road all the way past JB Sentral to the road end, turn right, and I can hit the coastal roads, and coastal highway liao. I thought that is the fastest way from 1st link to BI?

Sanur

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had lunch with my Singaporean friends today and we happened to talk about the Legoland in Malaysia. Following is some comments from my Singaporean friends:

Friend A: Sure or not, can open on time?
Friend B: Are those rides in the themepark safe to play?
Friend C: Got people want to buy tickets and go meh?

I was the only Malaysian, and i was speechless....

I really hope Legoland open smoothly in September and let the flag of Malaysia fly high with pride. I am not against Singaporean, but it is very common that Singaporean looks down on Malaysia and always feels that they are much more superior than Malaysian. Their attitude and words will only make Malaysian more annoyed about Singaporean.

Irritating remarks, they are always skeptical, annoying!

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sis, from 1st link, I always exit at 'JB Sentral', and follow the road all the way past JB Sentral to the road end, turn right, and I can hit the coastal roads, and coastal highway liao. I thought that is the fastest way from 1st link to BI?

i have not try this route before ... maybe will not be as jam to pass thru Shell to hit the highway ....
Maybe someone who has use both routes can comment ?

Sanur

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

I remembered you were staying in Leisure Farm? Actually why dont u drive in and out of Spore daily with your daughter? I thought of doing it once my children grows older and I can retire easily while shuttling between JB and Spore for their schools daily. Weekends will be spent in Malaysia.

Thanks for your suggestion, guess for now can only dream, as Singapore education has so many compulsory cca, almost three times a week till 6 plus n also the NDP COMPULSARY involvement. Even includes Going back to school during school holidays... I could only continue to dream..

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have not try this route before ... maybe will not be as jam to pass thru Shell to hit the highway ....
Maybe someone who has use both routes can comment ?

I felt the JB Sentral road is a tad longer but a more scenic drive?

Going past Shell station is a little stressful at times though. The distance should be shorter by my reckoning. :biggrin:

Sanur

Alfrescian
Loyal
What to do? Singaporeans like to focus on the track record.

LKY has never failed to remind us.

:*:

After a number of overseas holiday tour, I do share your thoughts. No tour beats owning a plot of land and use it as you like to create. No rushing here and there to maximise what you had paid for a tour,
just enjoy it leisurely, add when you have an idea and see money grows.

Yes tansu,

For once, I have no luagage to pack n unpack, no maid to do
House work.. That I truely feels the house belongs to me! Looking at my daughter happily sitting in her tree house reading her books, come back down to swim, swing, cycle n even go for pony rides... The feelings of being carefree, to b able to do this n that without restriction, without the crowd, listening to birds chirping, singing n even catch dragonfly! So carefree! Than to clay pot rice dinner opp Cherie heart, hey! Wuqi!!! I know where hor! Hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.