• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi, how long does it take to drive to Pontian from jB? I have never been there...thanks

About 30 minutes max and depends on which part of Pontian. Really good and rustic place to visit and for those who like fishing, its heavenly as you can fish and eat at the nearby hawker centre at the same time. Saw one guy eating satay AND fishing at the hawker centre table next to the sea.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
About 30 minutes max and depends on which part of Pontian. Really good and rustic place to visit and for those who like fishing, its heavenly as you can fish and eat at the nearby hawker centre at the same time. Saw one guy eating satay AND fishing at the hawker centre table next to the sea.

oh so near, which part of Pontian is recommended for first visit during day time? Any shopping centre there?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
oh so near, which part of Pontian is recommended for first visit during day time? Any shopping centre there?

Good tips from the hotel (that we just stayed in) on what to do there, its very near to the sea but no beach there.
http://www.hotelpontian.com/nearby.html

There are lots of parks, water falls, natural stuff in that area. Not much for shopping though there are Econsave, Giant and a bit of smaller shops like RM2 shops.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Funny my wife, the ninja warrior show just started, she asked me. How come though i am so fat, i can always run so fast and i am so heavy but she can barely hear my footsteps. I told her, hippos can run fast too, just that they don't see anything worth their time to run for. :P

Come to think of it, i did surprise many colleagues in the past because of my soft footsteps.

Anyone calls you Kung Fu Panda

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not really concerned about capital gains. I am more interested in maintaining the current environment/community as it is; pleasant, friendly, open etc.

With more Singaporeans over here, they may bring over bad traits/habits like what the PRCs are doing in droves in SG; arrogance, complaining nature, superiority complex, rudeness etc.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not really concerned about capital gains. I am more interested in maintaining the current environment/community as it is; pleasant, friendly, open etc.

With more Singaporeans over here, they may bring over bad traits/habits like what the PRCs are doing in droves in SG; arrogance, complaining nature, superiority complex, rudeness etc.

So in yr eyes Singaporeans are such arrogant , complain kings/queens etc ? I hope u are not singaporean else u will be slapping yr own face.
Dun u know there are a lot of Singapore PRs are buying houses and coming jb for day trips ? How u gg to tell the diff of singaporeans ?

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes in my eyes and note that I said may and not that all are bad apples. But in my experience, you can spot a Singaporean rather easily in JB by their accent and mannerisms. I am Singaporean which is why I know my own countrymen intimately. When my friends come up here, you can see they have an air of superiority, never say thank you when being served, constant use of the word 'cheap' and aggressive driving on the roads. Of course not everyone is like that but enough anecdotal evidence leads me to back up my statements.

There is no need to get defensive. This is just my point of view in contrast to what HH has posted which is I am here to get away from the hustle and bustle that is SG life.

I am sure that there are many SPRs buying homes in MY which stings as they also own a HDB flat in SG. It is unfortunate that the HDB mandate of affordable housing for citizens is no longer true. But got to hand it to them that they know how to play the system to their advantage.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes in my eyes and note that I said may and not that all are bad apples. But in my experience, you can spot a Singaporean rather easily in JB by their accent and mannerisms. I am Singaporean which is why I know my own countrymen intimately. When my friends come up here, you can see they have an air of superiority, never say thank you when being served, constant use of the word 'cheap' and aggressive driving on the roads. Of course not everyone is like that but enough anecdotal evidence leads me to back up my statements.

There is no need to get defensive. This is just my point of view in contrast to what HH has posted which is I am here to get away from the hustle and bustle that is SG life.

I am sure that there are many SPRs buying homes in MY which stings as they also own a HDB flat in SG. It is unfortunate that the HDB mandate of affordable housing for citizens is no longer true. But got to hand it to them that they know how to play the system to their advantage.

Singaporeans are really pathetic , GOVT treated them like third class citizens and our own fellow country ppl despsing their own ppl in other countries.
Accent is not that accurate anymore , a lot of PRs have been studying in SG since young . Monday I was driving to JB at causeway , 1 camry SG car cut into my lane and we almost collided . i remained cool and let him passed and but when i saw him passed his passport to immigration officer , it was not RED col passport.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Can anyone advise me how to go to HH using the new costal highway, I am coming from Tuas. Many thanks.

Take Exit 312 (without the D). With the 312D, it takes you to the other direction, which is towards the industrial area.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Oh yeh its kaeel. If he had sold at rm700k, i think he is going to have a heart attack because this is already mid 2012. The next two years are really tipping points. When legoland opens, it is going to be even bigger thing than the jpo. Coastal highway is very peaceful now. At the end of this year, during weekends the whole kota iskandar is going to be very busy, which is bound to bring in excess wealth for residents here.

Let us see what the next 2 years bring, congratulations to you too as you bought more than most of us.
Seems the rumour about the levy, etc being raised may be coming true. Need to get some relatives and friends
to at least get one before its too late.

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh yeh its kaeel. If he had sold at rm700k, i think he is going to have a heart attack because this is already mid 2012. The next two years are really tipping points. When legoland opens, it is going to be even bigger thing than the jpo. Coastal highway is very peaceful now. At the end of this year, during weekends the whole kota iskandar is going to be very busy, which is bound to bring in excess wealth for residents here.

Concurred on this comment. Thumbs up... Shared with a few friends about Nusajaya's potential on my blog, but i told them i'm not selling anything. We'll see in 1-2 years time...

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Attended some enrichment course in Johor last week.

Nobody in the class room knew I am Singaporean.. and I was not trying to hide anything when we talked and laughed during breaks..

On the second day I told some of them I came from Singapore.. I could feel a change in warmth displayed earlier.. Everyone has a perception of Singaporean.. it could be proud, loud and demanding. Likewise many people have a negative perception of china Chinese.. Many had certain perception of India indians (not native indian).. We got to be open because there are a lot of nice people everywhere.

Being a global city, we have lost our identity as Singaporeans.. In one way or anther, I am sad.. Who am I? Who are we? Just wish Singapore to be bigger..so those who don't want to live in city can still retreat to the countryside and kampong and enjoyed some kind of community living..

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Hi bro 2bfree, not everyone is bad but these days you never know who is getting out of a SG/MY car.
Even i was fooled a couple of times when someone was rude to another person and she spoke English
normally until she switched to Mandarin which then became obvious.

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Attended some enrichment course in Johor last week.

Nobody in the class room knew I am Singaporean.. and I was not trying to hide anything when we talked and laughed during breaks..

On the second day I told some of them I came from Singapore.. I could feel a change in warmth displayed earlier.. Everyone has a perception of Singaporean.. it could be proud, loud and demanding. Likewise many people have a negative perception of china Chinese.. Many had certain perception of India indians (not native indian).. We got to be open because there are a lot of nice people everywhere.

Being a global city, we have lost our identity as Singaporeans.. In one way or anther, I am sad.. Who am I? Who are we? Just wish Singapore to be bigger..so those who don't want to live in city can still retreat to the countryside and kampong and enjoyed some kind of community living..

At current birth rates, true-blue S'poreans who are born and raised in SG and still remaining in the country, will be a rare species by 2030 (prefer not to use "extinct").

Looks like the chosen kampung to retreat to is Nusajaya :smile:

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talking about nostalgia and old stuff...

Gotten hang onto my SAF 11B tightly, it will be worth something in future :smile:

Just bought a collection of 1967-1985 old Singapore coins (1ct to $1) -- this will be very rare in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.