• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
in addition, yes, when u have some spare cash, u can also settle a lump sum to reduce the loan period, and the corresponding interest.
i did that when my cpf has accumulated some amount.. and managed to save a few thousand dollars of interest there

Actually, I did partial repayment of HDB loan using CPF lump sum, in the end think its more worth it to invest into higher yield stock than settling 2.6%pa loan..

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes Proton cars are in demand at times too, it depends on the season and the market for such parts.
Best is to use those locks (model dependant) which you need to pull up in order to lock and its attached to your brake or clutch.
Without the additional key, your car cannot be started.

All my cars have the following as a standard feature:

1. Long baseball bat type of steering lock, for emergencies
2. Brake based lock - Locktech
3. Reverse camera, reverse sensors, back reverse mirror, side reverse mirror
4. 12v Air pump, tyre repair kit
5. Spare fuses
6. Battery Jump cables

1. Tow ropes in 2 cars
2. Large emergency battery starter in 1 car
3. Back up battery starter in another car

Accessories wise, I also have K&N air filters(buy from Amazon), Powercharger/Pivot Mega Raisin/Grounding/Shortening of trottle cables done
I also use better plug cables, spark plugs and i buy my own Gates timing belts (100k km) from US. The water pump, bearings etc
i buy locally. I also use the HKS turbo timer on 2 cars, got them at 200 RM each.

I also do regular trottle cleaning at regular intervals, really recommend to always check the spark plugs.

One time when i first came out to Johore, my power steering pump went dead, had to use my arms to really control and made it safely to a workshop. Price was really expensive for Korean parts in MY, so what i did was to use my other car to go into Singapore, buy the part (cheaply) and go back to Johore to fix it (cheaply) In the end, saved at least 60% of the cost if i were to do it in SG or to buy part in Johore.

I didn't check my spark plugs and car kept having sluggish performance, in the end checked with Ah Meng's workshop for the first time, found out of 4 spark plugs, 1 was submerged in oil but firing occasionally, 2 was dead, only 1 was still firing. From then on, very religious towards car, the paintwork could look like crap but the internals would be sparkling.

Impressive list.. me only one baseball bat..

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Digi has a 'long life' plan - 30 RM for 1 year. Can just sign up thru your phone
http://www.digi.com.my/prepaid/reload.do

Many thanks.

Just wondering -- does driving below the NSE highway speed limit ensure you will avoid being stopped by Msian police for a fine, or will all S-plate cars always get stopped for a fine?

One thing that cheeses me about driving in Msia is this, and I'm half tempted to fight back and insist I did not speed and threaten to video tape their bribing attempts...

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many thanks.

Just wondering -- does driving below the NSE highway speed limit ensure you will avoid being stopped by Msian police for a fine, or will all S-plate cars always get stopped for a fine?

One thing that cheeses me about driving in Msia is this, and I'm half tempted to fight back and insist I did not speed and threaten to video tape their bribing attempts...

Relax Bro

Just insist that they provide evidence of speeding.

Don't try to be a Stomp citizen. Nothing to gain IMHO.

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, so if they can't provide evidence I should insist that there is no basis for their claim?

Noticed some S-plate cars speeding all the way -- the probably realized they still end up paying, so might as well speed!

Relax Bro

Just insist that they provide evidence of speeding.

Don't try to be a Stomp citizen. Nothing to gain IMHO.

Taryn

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many thanks.

Just act blur and pretend you don't know what they are up to. Ask to show proof or just ask them to issue official summon. Most will no want to cos too lay chey. They will just say," I give you warning ah!"

Don't need to fight back la. They are also trying to make a living. So many sg cars wont even bother to explain or what. Just give $$$ once stopped, this has helped to keep the culture alive too. If you act blur long enough they will just let you go, got any car behind you that will pay once stopped. Why waste time on you right...

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many thanks.

Never never find trouble with the authorities if not they can find more fault for you!

Last time I drove in my car to genting, almost all cars kana stop a side. Saw many Malaysian cars kana let go.
I also not happy,,, the police writing something then went to other car, so I waited... They never give me any paper so I reverse to ask them. I open the door. My car behind and infront got police logo.... The police stare to see for 15 sec or more to see my police logo... Then he said ..ok u can go!! I got puzzled !...

Polarbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks a bunch Bro Wuqi for this.

Can you please advise on the best solution to get rid of ants. There are tons of them in my house at NI. Also, does HH has lot of ants as well.

Where can I get Auto card / cash card to pay for both singapore and malaysia sides.

I appreciate your time and help.

greddy88

Alfrescian
Loyal
i saw from earlier posts that bank interest rates are like 2-3%
are those only applicable to new developments, or for resale?

almost all the property websites are using 6% for loan calculator.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks a bunch Bro Wuqi for this.

Can you please advise on the best solution to get rid of ants. There are tons of them in my house at NI. Also, does HH has lot of ants as well.

Where can I get Auto card / cash card to pay for both singapore and malaysia sides.

I appreciate your time and help.

Best way is probably through a combination of finding out where they are coming from, blocking it through physical or chemical methods. The other way is to use those feed methods where they eat it, go back to their nest to distribute the food and die. Yet another way is to mix baking soda with sugar and leave it for them to eat. Many ways, in an emergency, just use carbonated drinks on them and then clean up later(assuming this is outside)

Cash card can be bought from 7 eleven stores in SG while the touch and go card, you can get at the Perling toll booth or the Shell Petrol station, certain Petronas stations has top up services as well. Please note though that the Touch and go card will expire one year from the purchase date regardless of the value inside. Once expired, just bring to the touch and go station to get a new card and transfer the balance over. You can also get the smart tag reader, noticed a lot of SG cars has this these days. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Also, give me ants over termites anytime. To rehash what a learned contractor once told me, where there are plenty of ants, there will be no termites. Termite eggs are an ants favourite food. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Many thanks.

Hi avelc,

I have driven SG as well as MY plates to KL, Genting, Malacca so always using it. If you are wrong, you can choose to give or not depending if they ask first. Don't offer first unless they ask for it (you don't want to be hauled up for bribery) and don't fight back, just tell them you stay in Malaysia and ask for the summons if you feel you are really not wrong or was really not speeding. Unlike many foreigners in our country (who feels very entitled to tell us what to do/should or should not think, etc), we should respect and abide by their rules once we are over there.

My S plate has been passed over more than a few times as i was really not speeding but yes i was asked to stop twice in my MY car. One time it was a brand new MY car barely a week old.

I have noticed that near the tolls and under the bridges, always are some ambush teams. One easy way to do this if you strongly suspect you did overspeed and then just wait by the road shoulder if you see cars suddenly slowing down or all going to the right lane, it means a road block is ahead. Just slow down, stop and walk a little to recce. If in serious doubt and not in rush for time, just lock all doors, turn off the engine/down the lights and just wait for an hour at most.

I saw cars doing that before when i stopped to give assistance, the SG cars waved me away and said simply "Road block ahead" before smiling at me. Who know, maybe no license or some other reasons but most must have thought they were speeding.

I must applaude the MY drivers (although starting to see it in SG too amongst heavy vehicles/taxis), the heavy vehicles drivers tend to help give signals to drivers on the other side of the road, high beaming twice if they passed a road block and knows that cars on the opposite side will encounter it shortly. So the 2 x times hi beams are not meant to scare you but as a friendly heads up to warn you in advance.

One serious thing we need to look at is the rear seat belt rule, from now until July, its 300 RM per pax who did not belt up, from July 1st onwards, its 2000 RM so its a serious fine. Folks driving vehicles which seats more than 9 and certain commercial vehicles are exempted from this rule.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Never never find trouble with the authorities if not they can find more fault for you!

Last time I drove in my car to genting, almost all cars kana stop a side. Saw many Malaysian cars kana let go.
I also not happy,,, the police writing something then went to other car, so I waited... They never give me any paper so I reverse to ask them. I open the door. My car behind and infront got police logo.... The police stare to see for 15 sec or more to see my police logo... Then he said ..ok u can go!! I got puzzled !...

Hear hear, i also encountered a case in Perling where there were more MY cars than SG cars. Always encouraged my friends not to give in and ask for summons if they were really not in the wrong. One time also, they flagged my SG down near the 1st link as i was driving back home. They said how come i have no road tax, then i said this is a Singapore car. He then looked at my car plate before letting me go. He was confused by my McDonalds sticker and various MY stickers on my car so bros, sometimes if its really our fault and we can pay up(if offered, then do it), if you really didn't, like people ask you for bribe and insist you never put on seat belt, etc, just go ahead and tell them to summon. A good local friend always do that, turns out 8 out of 10 times, they will just let you off with a warning if you really didn't do it.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks, so if they can't provide evidence I should insist that there is no basis for their claim?

Noticed some S-plate cars speeding all the way -- the probably realized they still end up paying, so might as well speed!

Yes, say you are a resident in Malaysia and ask them to give you a summon. Some corrupt folks do pick on SG cars and do that as they think you are here only for a couple of days and cannot afford the time, want to avoid trouble, etc. There are also good ones who let my neighbours go when they said they are old, retired and who showed them their wallet was almost empty. One neighbour told me a few years back, he was caught for speeding, he showed him the wallet and only has like 20 RM, rather than take it, in the end he let them off with just a warning.

The following extreme example was shared by my local staff and the example highlighted here is highly NOT recommended to be followed(although it feels really cool):

One time my local staff was going to scrap her SG car, an old Toyota Corolla (they call it Toyota SEG here) and got a summons she disagreed with, as the car was going to be scrapped shortly after, she asked for summons and got it. Only she took the summons, extended it with with 2 hands and slowly tore it in pieces and throw it on the ground as she drove off.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Just act blur and pretend you don't know what they are up to. Ask to show proof or just ask them to issue official summon. Most will no want to cos too lay chey. They will just say," I give you warning ah!"

Don't need to fight back la. They are also trying to make a living. So many sg cars wont even bother to explain or what. Just give $$$ once stopped, this has helped to keep the culture alive too. If you act blur long enough they will just let you go, got any car behind you that will pay once stopped. Why waste time on you right...

Agree very much with this. Good points to follow :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
If it helps, if i need to drive fast, i will do it on the left or middle lanes. I never like to hog the right lane anyway, found that it might have saved me some cash a couple of times. When i am near bridges, i will slow down as well, also my GPS has some known speed cameras spots so i will slow down whenever i am near.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please note though that the Touch and go card will expire one year from the purchase date regardless of the value inside. Once expired, just bring to the touch and go station to get a new card and transfer the balance over. You can also get the smart tag reader, noticed a lot of SG cars has this these days. :smile:

Wuqi, I was told by the cashier at Perling Toll that the Touch N Go card has a validity of 10 years from date of production. However, this could be less when it eventually reaches the buyer, pending the merchant's stock period. Also, if it is not even used once within a year (from the last usage), there will be an automatic RM10 deduction at the next usage. Each topping up of the card is also considered as being "used".

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many thanks Wuqi, my fren also commented about slowing down near bridges/rest areas.

Fwiw, there was no police road block from Ayer Keroh (Melaka exit) all the way to Tuas link today!

The rear seat rule is good for safety, though good for ppl here to be aware of it, thanks for sharing too!

P.S. Please include me in the investment idea too if you don't mind. I still have my saf 11b and 10yr watch!

Hi avelc,

I have driven SG as well as MY plates to KL, Genting, Malacca so always using it. If you are wrong, you can choose to give or not depending if they ask first. Don't offer first unless they ask for it (you don't want to be hauled up for bribery) and don't fight back, just tell them you stay in Malaysia and ask for the summons if you feel you are really not wrong or was really not speeding. Unlike many foreigners in our country (who feels very entitled to tell us what to do/should or should not think, etc), we should respect and abide by their rules once we are over there.

My S plate has been passed over more than a few times as i was really not speeding but yes i was asked to stop twice in my MY car. One time it was a brand new MY car barely a week old.

I have noticed that near the tolls and under the bridges, always are some ambush teams. One easy way to do this if you strongly suspect you did overspeed and then just wait by the road shoulder if you see cars suddenly slowing down or all going to the right lane, it means a road block is ahead. Just slow down, stop and walk a little to recce. If in serious doubt and not in rush for time, just lock all doors, turn off the engine/down the lights and just wait for an hour at most.

I saw cars doing that before when i stopped to give assistance, the SG cars waved me away and said simply "Road block ahead" before smiling at me. Who know, maybe no license or some other reasons but most must have thought they were speeding.

I must applaude the MY drivers (although starting to see it in SG too amongst heavy vehicles/taxis), the heavy vehicles drivers tend to help give signals to drivers on the other side of the road, high beaming twice if they passed a road block and knows that cars on the opposite side will encounter it shortly. So the 2 x times hi beams are not meant to scare you but as a friendly heads up to warn you in advance.

One serious thing we need to look at is the rear seat belt rule, from now until July, its 300 RM per pax who did not belt up, from July 1st onwards, its 2000 RM so its a serious fine. Folks driving vehicles which seats more than 9 and certain commercial vehicles are exempted from this rule.

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry , missed this msg ....
No need photo if u renew at mobile station , not sure abt immigration ....
Ok , i try n see can give u pts or not coz i not into this ...

Thanks a lot. I think Bro Wuqi has given me 3 points, now I can post. Need power level to give points. Thanks Bro Wuqi... I appreciate it.

Thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.