• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah tiong ... Shhhhhhhhh ..... Don't reveal too much leh. Bro Jason sure broadcast to mediacorp!

Huh, he never express to me before leh. Haha.
Btw, went jb just. They hv blocked e coastal highway fr hh to nusajaya.
I followed one sg uncle car, he exit hh n make illegal u turn to continue e road. So dangerous. Incoming hv big trucks coming. HENG they gave way to me else accident Liao.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
My fav pharmacy is d'apotic. they have website

http://www.d-apotic.com/

I use this pharmacy most of the time. When I buy common drugs such as flu etc, I always save about 50% when compared to Sg.

Their pharmacy is quite big. U can call and check if they have the drugs u need ...

I normally use their HQ store right at the city of 1st link

Mine too. Free membership can get immediately. Everytime buy can get at least 10%disc. I always buy from there for my mum medicine for her kidneys. Price 309rm before disc for one box. In spore it cost abt 200$. My mum was advised by her GP to buy in jb d medicine cos he said its cheaper and exactly the same. They will also post 5-12rm vouchers regularly to my spore add to encourage us to buy.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's right! Great mind and taste, like me! Haha ... Give me a BIG 5!!! :smile:

Mine too. Free membership can get immediately. Everytime buy can get at least 10%disc. I always buy from there for my mum medicine for her kidneys. Price 309rm before disc for one box. In spore it cost abt 200$. My mum was advised by her GP to buy in jb d medicine cos he said its cheaper and exactly the same. They will also post 5-12rm vouchers regularly to my spore add to encourage us to buy.

Last edited:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't anyhow agree hor, many witness here haha... Google it. He is famous with his bikini string - the one in green haha ...

Ah tiong will bring her sister along too

No problem lah , who is this Mr Borat, wear anything also can . Make sure u invite ah thiong mei mei and bring more beer . :p

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Nusajaya

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro LG,

I dont think you need to feel much worst off compare to others. You are still young so, take this as your advantage. You are in a circumstance which pushes you to do something which most of your peers would not have done - taking care of your parents, starting a young family, moving to JB, buying a house, etc. You are ahead in life eventhough you are feeling the pressure/burden. This also forces you a lesson which no University in the world can teach - Frugality. Most people finds it torturing to do so and worst still, youngsters nowadays are spending beyond their means especially with car/phone/gadgets which we dont really need (nice to have). Indulgence is probably a better description.

One thing I can definitely assure you, many of your peers who might not share your financial pressure which you are going through but they wont be any better off than you financially. At your age, starting a family and affording a house plus a car is definitely quite an achievement. You need to be proud of it :smile:

My advise to you is to change your perspective of things. Be proud that you are able to cater and support your ageing parents. Be thankful for every moment you could provide for them. Think of those who wanted to do so but unable to even cope on their own. You still have option of moving to JB! IMHO, this could be a blessing in disguise.

Personally, because of your circumstances, I believe you are one of those who will probably be able to make your money work harder than most of us (easy come, easy go). Stay frugal, keep investing and making sure every dollar you have is working real hard for you.....

N

yeah definately u are better in term of earning power and status.
I left 1 module to deem graduated from the university.

I am like just starting my career, and this burden came falling on me.

1. Elderly
2. Newborn

what else to expect? Moving to JB to cut cost is the only way for me now i guessed.
At least moving there, i can start saving and can then afford my parents' medical bills.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha bro wuqi. U r the star!!

I didn't dare to attach any link to show the pics. Luckily u did it. Haha. I couldn't stop laughing imagining bro Jason in it! Roll on floor laughing

To anyone above 35, she is still mei mei :smile:

I was going to concentrate on my work for the next 5 hours but had to come in when i saw this.
Can get that swimsuit here (looks like out of stock though)

http://www.firebox.com/product/1991/Borat-Mankini-Swimsuit

Next thing we know, Bruno shows up too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brüno

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very good advice. I constantly remind myself about this too, because there are still many naysayers surrounding me. But I'm a bit more ya-ya, while I listen to them criticize, I just forget it thereafter and continue to do my own thing. My focus is still there, otherwise, I will deflat and hide back to my own little water well. Luckily, my parents are still in relatively good health compare to bro LG, but I can't take things for granted. Things can change very suddenly, especially health issue associated to old age.

Bro Lg, by having this thought of moving to JB and the fact that u r deeply analyzing the whole situation, u r already one step ahead of many others. I really do hope things can work out for u and join us :smile:

Hi Bro LG,

I dont think you need to feel much worst off compare to others. You are still young so, take this as your advantage. You are in a circumstance which pushes you to do something which most of your peers would not have done - taking care of your parents, starting a young family, moving to JB, buying a house, etc. You are ahead in life eventhough you are feeling the pressure/burden. This also forces you a lesson which no University in the world can teach - Frugality. Most people finds it torturing to do so and worst still, youngsters nowadays are spending beyond their means especially with car/phone/gadgets which we dont really need (nice to have). Indulgence is probably a better description.

One thing I can definitely assure you, many of your peers who might not share your financial pressure which you are going through but they wont be any better off than you financially. At your age, starting a family and affording a house plus a car is definitely quite an achievement. You need to be proud of it :smile:

My advise to you is to change your perspective of things. Be proud that you are able to cater and support your ageing parents. Be thankful for every moment you could provide for them. Think of those who wanted to do so but unable to even cope on their own. You still have option of moving to JB! IMHO, this could be a blessing in disguise.

Personally, because of your circumstances, I believe you are one of those who will probably be able to make your money work harder than most of us (easy come, easy go). Stay frugal, keep investing and making sure every dollar you have is working real hard for you.....

N

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro Nusajaya, sound advice and a good perspective to look at things from, need to up others points first though before i can up your points again.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore latest COE cat B has reached S$78k..
I am thinking when one is still employed, should he go and apply MM2H?..
Firstly, you can import your expensive Singapore car tax free to Malaysia once it reached 10 years old.. Or just buy a new one tax free over there.. The moment if you are unemployed, you will find a lot of umbrellas will be taken off you...just when you need them most... Maybe one might not get MM2h then...even if you have 1m ringgit property..because rules always change...

@arsenal:
thanks bro for the encouragement. also realized that recently when i started to think deeper... maybe that's why my folks are 'contented' with their hdb..

@avalon74:
yes, i believe i am.. bought the aviva term plans for saf nsmen.. covered whole family 400k each for like $180 a month in total.
in addition there are a few others.. sometimes i joked (and got scolded by my wife) if i die, they will huat big time. :biggrin:

@nusajaya:
its a mental barrier going into investment.. having lost quite a tidy sum in equities.
but what u said is true.. need to invest otherwise the inflation will eat it away. for my option 3 in the bank.. it is either i lost big (earlier i lost about 50% of my principle), or lose small (3-4% inflation).
moving into property.. the concern i stated earlier.. losing my job.
but anyway, i'm going back to the drawing board to rework my finances.
thanks for your insights! :wink:

@wuqi:
thanks bro. i first read about u in the newspaper article.. was interested but sort of put it aside cos i had other plans then.. well later it didn't work out (bro teck knows).. now i'm revisiting jb again. thanks a lot for the information you provided, and ongoing even now.

and about singaporeans rich... i believe many are probably shells that look good outside. full of debts.
i used to make a mistake of getting a car that almost equivalent to a 3-rm flat (not current price though :biggrin:).. but pocket near empty.
realized it later and lucky i have a good job to buffer. now no more.. once its coe expires, i'll be getting something more practical.

@polarbear:
yeah.. like my pm to u.. if it is convenient to share, your house type (link, cluster, etc) and rental cost for reference, please do..

@lglab:
bro, no fret. u started early. i had my first kid at 34yr old.. u can enjoy your fruits of labor earlier :wink:
also, wife and my parents have not reach elderly stage like yours...my turn will come to fulfill these duties.. so don't envy me.
anyway, hang in there.. rainbow will come eventually after the rain.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
[Shocking] Singaporeans pay much higher taxes than Canadians
Income Tax – Singapore vs Canada

In his 1996 National Day speech, Prime Minister Goh said, “People*often want the government to assume the full burden of the cost of*medical care and provide treatment free to Singaporeans. Because of*the painful lessons learned in other countries we have not done this.*All the countries which have done this—Britain, France, Germany,*Canada, and Communist China—have failed. Their systems break down as*people overuse so-called ‘free’ health care, which they actually*pay for indirectly through higher taxes. Their health services*deteriorate. Waste and inefficiency become endemic. Now these*countries are forced to cut back on services, introduce cost controls,*and reform the system.”

Singapore leaders have repeatedly spun the notion that Singaporeans*pay one of the lowest tax in the world. It is a myth for in reality*Singaporeans pay much higher taxes than other developed countries like Canada.

Consider a person making $6,000 a month in Singapore and a person*making a similar amount in Canada. Let us say the person in Singapore*pays zero tax and the person in Canada pays his maximum without any*deduction of 29.7% tax. Assuming both have a working life of 40 years*and a life span of 85 years.

The person in Singapore pays nothing since we assumed his tax to be*zero.*The person in Canada would have to pay based on annual salary of*$72,000 at 29.7% = $21,384. Based on a working period of 40 years the*Canadian would have to pay a total of $855,360. It should be less if*deductions are taken into consideration but we give the advantage to*Singapore to minimize arguments. The Canadian tax does seem high to*Singaporeans. However when all the cleverly hidden taxes are taken in*consideration, Singaporeans are paying more in taxes but not getting*the social benefits enjoy by Canadians::

List of Singapore hidden taxes that Canadians do not pay::

1. COE – $60,000 every ten years assuming that a Singaporean changes*his car every 10 years.*40 years needs to buy 4 COE = $240 ,000.

2. Cost of car like Honda Civic – $75,000 in Singapore vs $25,000 in*Canada.*4 cars in forty years at the difference of $50,000 = $200,000

3. Road tax – $1,300 per year for 40 years = $52,000

4. Higher petrol price – $100 extra a month for 40 years = $48,000.

5. ERP – $100 extra a month for 40 years = $48,000.

6. Maid levy – $300 per month for 20 years (assuming a family only*has the maid for 20 years*instead of 40 years or more) = $72,000.

7. General medical bills for 85 years at $1,000 a year = $85,000.*(less than $100 a month)

8. Cost of housing, the difference between a similar house in*Singapore vs Canada is $300,000 to as high as $1 million and more. We*shall take the lower end of the difference = $300,000.

9. The water/gas/electricity bills are only one-third of*Singapore’s making a savings of at least $102,000 based on a saving*of $100 per month x 85 years.

The total savings for a Canadian is at least $1,147,000 or more*depending on how many cars, maids and children he has.*This amount is more than adequate to offset the Canadian tax of*$855,360 at 29.7%.

In addition the following is a list of social benefits that*Singaporeans do not enjoy::

1. “Milk money” of $250 each child receive a month from the*government from the day the child was born until age of 18 years -*$250 x12 x 18 years = $54,000 for one kid. Two kids = $108,000.

2. Old age pension plus assisted income for retirees without any*income, a retiree gets $1,250 or more a month until death. Assuming*the retiree lives for 20 years = $300,000.*A couple could get a combined retirement income of $2,500 a month*even though they may not have been working. The total receivable for*20 years would be $600,000.

3. Retirees travel for free on all public transportation with limited*black out time on weekends, i.e. trains, buses, ferries. Some of the*ferry rides cost more than $100 per trip. Assuming a retiree saves*$150 a month for transportation – 20 years of retirement = $150 x 12 x*20 = $36,000.

4. Retirees can study in universities for a token fee of less than*$100 per year.

5. Unemployment insurance which a citizen can claim when he/she is*out of a job. It is common for a person to be out of job for 6 months*in his 40 years of working life – $36,000.

6. Free treatment of severe illness like cancel, liver or kidney*failures – $200,000 or more.

Depending on the choice of lifestyles and individual health*conditions, the Canadian tax system has an advantage of between*$500,000 to over $1 million when compared with the Singapore tax*system even though Singapore official tax rate is very low.

To illustrate the difference, let me provide the following analogy:

Two shops selling char kuay teow :
The Sinkee shop selling a plate for $2.00
The Candee shop selling a plate for $10.00

At a glance, shop Sinkee is a bargain at only $2.00 a plate. However*when you order a plate, you get only a plate of char kuay teow and*nothing else. If you want “hum” it is an extra $2. If you want*chilly, it is another $1. If you want chop sticks, it is another $1,etc. Soon your plate of $2 char kuay teow with all the extras will*cost you $15 or more.

On the other hand, at Shop Candee, the $10 a plate has all the extras*included in the price and taste much better. The service and*environment is also much better than the cocky service of Shop*Sinkee.*In Canada, the service providers will try their best to guide and*give you as much as possible. In Singapore, it is the opposite, the*service providers will try their best to give you as little as*possible. It is typical “kaisu” Singapore culture.

The moral of the story is that we should not be fooled by statistics*and world rankings. Singapore is ranked third place by IMF in their*2010 report with a per capita of $57,238 vs Canada at eleventh place*with a per capita of $39,033. Do Singaporeans really feel richer than*Canadians when most Singaporeans have constant anxiety over inadequate*savings for retirement, medical bills, being homeless, etc.

Most Canadians enjoy their retirement with a peace of mind whereas*most Singaporeans dread retirement with doubts whether their CPF is*sufficient to see them through retirement or they live long enough to*touch their CPF money given the way the government is pushing back the*retirement age.

Wing Lee Cheong
Vancouver, BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.