• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Liveability ranking | Melbourne 1st, Singapore?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
despite all the efforts by our gahmen to make this place attractive to FTs...Economist dun give face...we are not even in top 10.

Do so much for FTs for fuck?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2011/08/liveability-ranking

h
ere's a part that probably explains:

The cities that stand out in the ranking share certain features, as the report accompanying the survey outlines:
Those that score best tend to be mid-sized cities in wealthier countries with a relatively low population density. This can foster a range of recreational activities without leading to high crime levels or overburdened infrastructure. Seven of the top ten scoring cities are in Australia and Canada, with population densities of 2.88 and 3.40 people per sq km respectively. Elsewhere in the top ten, Finland and New Zealand both have densities of 16 people per sq km.

===

The top Asian city was the Japanese city of Osaka at number 12, tying with Geneva, and beating the Japanese capital of Tokyo, which was placed 18th.[SUP][12]

-excellent --> we are not even in top 20.

Surprisingly, no gahmen minister come out to say something to refute this leeport?
[/SUP]

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sydney is 6, yeh!
Top ten cities: 1. Melbourne 97.5 2. Vienna 97.4 3. Vancouver 97.3 4. Toronto 97.2 5. Calgary 96.6 6. Sydney 96.1 7. Helsinki 96 8. Perth 95.9 9. Adelaide 95.9 10. Auckland 95.7

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surveys like these do not pertain to S'poreans.

To be applicable, survey has to include standard of Char Kwey Teow and Laksa.

Cheers!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How many of these cities have a lower crime rate than Singapore? I question the methodology of this survey.

It depends on whether the crime is reported or not. White collar crimes usually do not attract attention. Just ask any Singapore police and they will tell you how busy they are policing the city.

Overcharging in Singapore is very common. From Lucky Plaza to taxi drivers. The last time my Aussies friends came back and told me that they bought a dodgy memory card for the camera. I did not have the heart to disappoint them further that the camera bag was fake as well. They were interested to visit Singapore because of my recommendation.

So far, I got robbed in Singapore & Hongkong before but not in Australia :biggrin:

Where there are tourists, there are people seeking to exploit them, with travel website TripAdvisor coming up with a list of the top 10 places worldwide to be especially aware of pickpockets.

"Not always a basic 'lift-and-run' operation, expert pickpocketing can sometimes involve more complicated scams," said Christine Petersen, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor.

"Travellers need to be aware of all kinds of tricks meant to distract them from their belongings while enjoying popular world attractions."

1. Las Ramblas, Barcelona, Spain

Las Ramblas, the famous wide, pedestrian walkway full of life, music, and people at all hours of the day and night, is the perfect place to get your purse pinched.

2. Rome, Italy

With its ancient buildings, historical and cultural attractions, Rome is full of tourists admiring the Trevi Fountain or the Pantheon. It's easy for a pickpocket to lift a camera or purse with a quick snip of scissors.

3. Prague, Czech Republic

The beautiful Charles Bridge is lined with 30 baroque-style statues, as well as thousands of tourists who crowd its ancient stones each year, making a perfect recipe for pickpocketing. Before taking in the view of the Vltava River and the Prague Castle beyond, be sure valuables are strapped down.

4. Madrid, Spain

El Rastro fleamarket and the crowded metro are often cited as spots where unfriendly pickpocket schemes can put a damper on a visit to this beautiful city. Travelers should also beware that in museums, pickpockets can also prey on distracted tourists.

5. Paris, France

The City of Light draws enormous crowds from the base of the Eiffel Tower to the steps of Sacre-Coeur but enormous crowds can also be found below ground, in the city's metro system, where travelers should be especially cautious.

6. Florence, Italy

It is easy for tourists to be distracted by the majestic beauty of Michelangelo's David and the other awe-inspiring works of art and pieces of history all around Florence but when admiring Michelangelo's creation, or at its replica in busy Piazza della Signoria, be alert for pickpockets.

7. Buenos Aires, Argentina

Buenos Aires is a vibrant and culturally rich city with much to offer, from the famed Teatro Colon to the city's many distinct neighborhoods but if you are suddenly covered in "bird droppings" (likely mustard) and a "friendly" local happens to be standing by with napkins to help you clean up, beware.

8. Amsterdam, Netherlands

Don't be too taken in by the canals and the friendly, laid-back atmosphere - pickpockets have been known to take advantage of countless tourists in this enchanting city.

9. Athens, Greece

Whether visiting the Parthenon on the Acropolis, or anything else in this magnificent historic city, keep your bags close.

10. Hanoi, Vietnam

The capital of Vietnam has its charming Old Quarter, littered with monuments and colonial architecture, and the city also features 600 temples and pagodas, making it a beautiful and unique place to visit, but also a place to stay alert.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...-pickpockets-20091006-gl27.html#ixzz1WliOXjnd

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Melbourne ranks first in liveability? The Economist surveyors have to get their heads examined unless liveability here means sedentary retirement. The city is half dead after 4 p.m. and totally dead by 6 p.m.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

jw5

Loyal
For liveability between 12 midnight and 6am, the best city is still Taipei.

Even SG and HK are dead between those hours.
In Taipei, u can go and read at a bookshop and go for steamboat. :p

chinchai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hong Kong 31st

Singapore 51st

Seoul 58th

Taipei 61st

Kuala Lumpur 78th

Bandar Seri Begawan 101st

Bangkok 102nd

Manila 105th

Hanoi 122nd

Ho Chi Minh City 124th

Phnom Penh 127th

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hong Kong 31st

Singapore 51st

Seoul 58th

Taipei 61st

Kuala Lumpur 78th

Bandar Seri Begawan 101st

Bangkok 102nd

Manila 105th

Hanoi 122nd

Ho Chi Minh City 124th

Phnom Penh 127th

it is surprising that HK is considered more liveable than Singapore esp in view of the pollution, higher population, more overcrowding.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are just thinking about Hong Kong Island. Don't forget that the MTR system there actually extends all the way to China which alleviates a lot of pressure from these. I find HongKong more vibrant and better developed then Singapore.

it is surprising that HK is considered more liveable than Singapore esp in view of the pollution, higher population, more overcrowding.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Have to agree with that. Was in HK back in July.
The squeeze in HK MTR >= SG MRT.
Also the proportion of PRCs working in HK is comparable to SG
Homes are smaller and more expensive
Food prices is comparable
Higher pollution
Overcrowding in Urban areas is just as bad if not worse then SG
Typhoon

I guess what works for HK is they have more land and have an active rural area
A Free Press <- Although I don't think this should be included in this kinda survey
I think their income tax is lower and better retirement plan

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are just thinking about Hong Kong Island. Don't forget that the MTR system there actually extends all the way to China which alleviates a lot of pressure from these. I find HongKong more vibrant and better developed then Singapore.

If they take the total land area of HK and make calculations, I have nothing to say. But >50% of HK land is hilly, swampy, etc, not ideal for living.

But I do agree with you on the vibrancy. not so on the development. The lack of toilets is one sore point.