• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Liveability ranking | Melbourne 1st, Singapore?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have to agree with that. Was in HK back in July.
The squeeze in HK MTR >= SG MRT.
Also the proportion of PRCs working in HK is comparable to SG
Homes are smaller and more expensive
Food prices is comparable
Higher pollution
Overcrowding in Urban areas is just as bad if not worse then SG
Typhoon

I guess what works for HK is they have more land and have an active rural area
A Free Press <- Although I don't think this should be included in this kinda survey
I think their income tax is lower and better retirement plan

though costs are higher - their pay is also higher.

yes, they have lower income tax. No alcohol tax on wines.

More happening cheonging place, more variety of entertainment...more vibrant.

their MTR is more crowded - hmm...but its 1min interval....the next one comes almost instantly...

their public transport is better than Singapore's - to extent that, common HKer need not take cab that much.

And personally to me, their BPL subscription is cheaper LOL...

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

their MTR is more crowded - hmm...but its 1min interval....the next one comes almost instantly...

their public transport is better than Singapore's - to extent that, common HKer need not take cab that much.

Actually the average median Household Income in HK < average median Household Income of SG. Just did a quick search

Dun have the latest stat but Median Household Income of HK 2009 - HKD$17,500 - SGD$2705
http://www.gov.hk/en/about/abouthk/factsheets/docs/population.pdf

Median Household Income of SG 2009 - SGD$4850
http://www.singstat.gov.sg/news/news/op19022010.pdf

And SG need to take Cab one meh? I seldom if ever found the need to. But yeah, HK probably better, especially as the MTR lines are more developed.

Nightlife in HK is definitely more vibrant, can't argue with that but at the same time culturally we have more to offer

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually the average median Household Income in HK < average median Household Income of SG. Just did a quick search

Dun have the latest stat but Median Household Income of HK 2009 - HKD$17,500 - SGD$2705
http://www.gov.hk/en/about/abouthk/factsheets/docs/population.pdf

Median Household Income of SG 2009 - SGD$4850
http://www.singstat.gov.sg/news/news/op19022010.pdf

And SG need to take Cab one meh? I seldom if ever found the need to. But yeah, HK probably better, especially as the MTR lines are more developed.

Nightlife in HK is definitely more vibrant, can't argue with that but at the same time culturally we have more to offer

for SG report, are the median figures before adjusting for the resiliance pkg?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think HK lose out to Singapore in air quality and living stress. Singapore is more balanced in this aspect.
The nice cool HK weather in winter is met by typhoon in summer.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
for SG report, are the median figures before adjusting for the resiliance pkg?

SG median household income for 2010 was $5K(I'm sure most of you already know the median income for individual is $2.5K) and if you read the report, the 08 one is higher then the 09 one so I think it wasn't adjusted for anything.

I actually managed to found a passing mention on the median household income of HK in 2011 in another article after I posted that. Current median household income for HK is HKD$19,100

Last edited: