• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Legal issues/questions - Anything to do with lawyers and banks

Legolad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Lawyers

When you buy a subsale property in Johor, must buyer pay for property fee? Can bank waive or bear the valuer's fees? How much is reasonable valuation fee if property is valued at RM650,000?

Your lawyers should be in a better position to advise. My lawyers recommended the valuer and I deal directly with the valuer. For my purchase of a subsale property with almost similar value, I paid RM2,600. Tried to bargain but they claim it's a fixed price. Hope this helps.

sharony

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi, I am new to this forum. Jusst bought a subsale SD in Senibong Cove and now looking for a reliable law firm. Has anyone used these firms? Tia & Nordin and Tea, Kevin Kang & Company? These were recommended by the agent.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi, I am new to this forum. Jusst bought a subsale SD in Senibong Cove and now looking for a reliable law firm. Has anyone used these firms? Tia & Nordin and Tea, Kevin Kang & Company? These were recommended by the agent.

Why dont you get the City Square lawyers? More convenient, and I think ultimately, more reliable.... Just google City Square law firm. ALternatively, check the lawyer panel of big banks like OCBC, CIMB and Public Bank.......

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Congrats! Don't mind me asking how much and what is built up area like? My agent recommended Tan & Lee, at City Square.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Your lawyers should be in a better position to advise. My lawyers recommended the valuer and I deal directly with the valuer. For my purchase of a subsale property with almost similar value, I paid RM2,600. Tried to bargain but they claim it's a fixed price. Hope this helps.

I see. I did not have a choice. Each bank got its own valuer, some with difference of RM50K! I checked with bank whether can waive or discount, say cannot. My valuer's fee was RM1,300 (half of what you paid, no hard feelings OK?)

sharony

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thnks, guys. I guess each agent will have a few law firms in their pocket from which they can earn referee fees from:smile:

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal

I know a good law firm that most people i know have been using for over 30+ years, worth a try.
Yeow & Chin
6th Floor, City Plaza, Johor Bahru.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Congrats! Don't mind me asking how much and what is built up area like? My agent recommended Tan & Lee, at City Square.

I have dealt with Tan & Lee (1 industrial) and Mak, Ng, Shao & Kee (2 residential), both located at City Square. I find both are quite ok, being well established. On the other hand, I have dealt with lawyers who should best remain unnamed in this forum..... hehe

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Name and shame please

I have dealt with Tan & Lee (1 industrial) and Mak, Ng, Shao & Kee (2 residential), both located at City Square. I find both are quite ok, being well established. On the other hand, I have dealt with lawyers who should best remain unnamed in this forum..... hehe

myrsing

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have very bad experience with their staffs. Service very bad. The so called asst lawyer even told me not to phone her (with regards to my property) after office hrs. At times left messages. But never return call!

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have bought my shophouse through this lawyer, as it was insisted by the seller. IMO I will not recommend them, they gave me wrong info as in when the property transaction can be completed, loan has been released for a week and yet the lawyer is totally unaware. The staff speaks Malay only and when I asked her to speak in English to me, she just hang up on me (I rang again, she hang up again when I asked to be conversed in English)!

Just sharing my experience with them.

I know a good law firm that most people i know have been using for over 30+ years, worth a try.
Yeow & Chin
6th Floor, City Plaza, Johor Bahru.

sharony

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have very bad experience with their staffs. Service very bad. The so called asst lawyer even told me not to phone her (with regards to my property) after office hrs. At times left messages. But never return call!

Thank you for all your inputs. :smile:

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal

The staff speaks Malay only and when I asked her to speak in English to me, she just hang up on me (I rang again, she hang up again when I asked to be conversed in English)!
Just sharing my experience with them.

Haha, maybe because I can speak fluent malay so no issues for me and I also buy some tea time snacks when I visit, so i guess they give me preferential treatment.

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend's father wants to transfer his house in JB to her name. They are both Singaporeans. There's no sale, its a straight transfer from father to daughter. She is asking roughly how much would the legal fees be? Also can anyone recommend a lawyer who is reasonable in charges and yet can do a decent job.Thanks.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend's father wants to transfer his house in JB to her name. They are both Singaporeans. There's no sale, its a straight transfer from father to daughter. She is asking roughly how much would the legal fees be? Also can anyone recommend a lawyer who is reasonable in charges and yet can do a decent job.Thanks.

I went with Mr Kee of Mak, Ng, Shao & Kee located at City Square. Not sure of their charges as it is absorbed by the developer. Mr Kee is a nice honest chap who's quite efficient, but then again, I am not sure of his charges as it's all absorbed....

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went with Mr Kee of Mak, Ng, Shao & Kee located at City Square. Not sure of their charges as it is absorbed by the developer. Mr Kee is a nice honest chap who's quite efficient, but then again, I am not sure of his charges as it's all absorbed....

Thanks. I will ask her to enquire.

myrsing

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juz curious. Does Mr Kee have watsapp? Not cheap calling from Spore and my lawyer cheapskate. Dont have watsapp and dont entertain calls after office hrs!!

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Juz curious. Does Mr Kee have watsapp? Not cheap calling from Spore and my lawyer cheapskate. Dont have watsapp and dont entertain calls after office hrs!!

Haha I not v sure leh. Because for my 2 cases, I only see him once during signing of S&P and loan for each property, and he did the rest of the documentation quite fast. So no need to see or call him again....haha....His office at City Square, so easy to go. Another firm, Tan & Lee, is also at City Square......

myrsing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha I not v sure leh. Because for my 2 cases, I only see him once during signing of S&P and loan for each property, and he did the rest of the documentation quite fast. So no need to see or call him again....haha....His office at City Square, so easy to go. Another firm, Tan & Lee, is also at City Square......

Thanks RedsYNWA.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if this has been asked before regarding MRTA and MLTA.

Bank loan is about RM600000 for 25 years

Let's say I don't want both MRTA or MLTA. Can I buy a 25-35 years term insurance in Singapore for say $500000 which covers the bank loan and will still leave money also for dependents if the unfortunate happens? I am being offered MLTA but annual premium is between RM6000 and RM10000. MRTA depends on number of years bought but is between RM10000 and RM40000 lump sum.

I feel term insurance is better, somewhere in between in terms of premiums paid but sum assured much much higher. Any good advice?