• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Left with 50 dollars in wallet and 200 in the bank.....10 may 2016

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, not the full amount, but 300
After cpf, I believe it's around 1500.

Spoke to him, told me finance are tight due to dad fall ill and unexpected expenses.
Initially has around 2.5k as savings, but now used up.

Early 50s with one kid, in secondary school. Wife is homemaker.
Understand used to have OTs, but now with bad economy, all OTs cut.
Told me got job already lucky Liao.......

Y is a man in his 50s..earning only 1.5k per month having kids? N his wife don't work? Tat is bs as he is living beyond his means..

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any reason why the wife is not working?

Just transferred the monies to him......not much, 300, hopefully enough to tide him over till month end.

Understand the wife used to be working, but due to parents falling sick, quit her job to look after them, recently the mom passed away, but now the father got problems.....

Seems the cycle never end with financial headache.....
Was thinking once the father passed on, he will have to grapple with his kid education fees, (University etc, though with scholarship or bursary will definitely help). And there after, they will have hit late fifties or early sixties, with not much to retire on, another headache.......

Have spoke to him about renting out one room to his flat. But he pointed out as the father got problems....the pangsai, pangjio issue. Potential tenants might be turned off by it.

Selling the flat and downgrade could be the next option.
Also ask him to consider Uber for some side income, part time basis.....

Anybody here doing that, with advice would be appreciated......

jw5

Loyal
Yes, the medical expenses does add up.....a visit here, a checkup there, a test here, some medication there.....are cost......

My thought is no point holding on to asset if no money in hand......
4 room flat, still can downgrade, to 3 room, have a place to stay and money in hand.
Maybe can ask him to rent out one room to at least have some income.......

Not sure if staying in 4 room flat eligible for those food and grocery vouchers though......

Not sure what is the criteria for getting the vouchers, but they might very well suggest downgrading before giving. In any case, he should consider all options if his bank account is really empty. At least he has his family and friends like you. :wink:

jw5

Loyal
Taking ot pay as standard earnings is a recipe for disaster

Maybe his basic pay was also higher then? Taking ot pay as standard earnings is a recipe for disaster, in fact, having any positive assumption about your job is a recipe for disaster. Always work hard and hope for the best but expect the worst. :wink:

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
A friend just msg me.....told me he only got 50 dollars in the wallet and 200 dollars in the bank....today is 10 May 2016, he has yet to pay his utility bills and conservancy charges....payday is on month end.

Asked to borrow 500......tide things over, he told me.....
Never knew his finance are so tight.....

Isn't that is what friends are for? You scratch my back I scratch yours? Hee!

[video=youtube;cv1oPvSg5G0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv1oPvSg5G0[/video]

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Yes, not the full amount, but 300
After cpf, I believe it's around 1500.

Ask the kiddo to check at the general office for financial assistance, study hard and earn those bursary awards.
There's ST pocket money fund or something like that, tap into it.
Where's Comcare and the what nots? Most important, has he seen his MP?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Your friend just cheated you. Say goodbye to your money. He will probably be asking you for another loan soon.

jw5

Loyal
Your friend just cheated you. Say goodbye to your money. He will probably be asking you for another loan soon.

This type of cases, you generally should not expect your money back, but sometimes you may be pleasantly surprised. Don't be so calculative. :wink:

rotiprata

Alfrescian
Loyal
while not expecting to be paid back, he did mentioned he will pay 50 every month, for the next 6 months.
Told him to take it easy and take good care of his dad......
When one is middle age and see ones parent passed on.... It's is really sad.

bro; like your pattern...tomoro will always be better if there're more folks like you :smile:
i did the same twice several years back...

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if he starts saving and investing now and saving at least 50 percent of his income,there might be a chance he can still retire when he reaches his sixties.....otherwise hes going to be looking at a lifetime of working until he dies.honestly i dont see how it is possible to support a kid,a wife and his father on a $1500 income....obviously the wife has to go out and start pulling her weight or the boat might sink altogether,and he has to start working two jobs......also he has to find someone else to help look after his dad,either a sibling or a relative.i dunno how much does elderly hospice care cost nowadays.it is temporary but there is no choice........

honestly i have no clue why daft sinkies dont plan for anything especially the poorest,dumbest most uneducated ones.....three generations of nobody planning for jackshit and this is what u get,a giant snowball of shit that has been piling up for some time.....if u are twenty something years old its still understandable if u havent got ur affairs in order,but even the youth today has a high understanding of fiscal responsibility and financial literacy and some has already build portfolios of upwards 70k in their twenties and a few hundred k in their thirties.dont they have the slightest medical coverage?emergency funds?or long term savings?is the only solution when something happens is to sell ur hdb flat?sometimes if u are rich and wealthy,u wonder why do u have to go about paying for the stupidity and ignorance of others,obviously there are some that are genuinely suffering even though they try to do the best thing.but others especially daft sinkies are just asking for it themselves......economics is the study of how human beings fulfill unlimited wants with limited resouces.....its obvious ur friend has had unlimited wants from day one and no clue how to go about fulfilling long term...its amazing how some people can get married when they are twenty two and have kids when i dont even dare to buy a $1.5k laptop cause it might be harmful to my long term financial well being.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if he starts saving and investing now and saving at least 50 percent of his income,there might be a chance he can still retire when he reaches his sixties.....otherwise hes going to be looking at a lifetime of working until he dies.honestly i dont see how it is possible to support a kid,a wife and his father on a $1500 income....obviously the wife has to go out and start pulling her weight or the boat might sink altogether,and he has to start working two jobs......also he has to find someone else to help look after his dad,either a sibling or a relative.i dunno how much does elderly hospice care cost nowadays.it is temporary but there is no choice........

honestly i have no clue why daft sinkies dont plan for anything especially the poorest,dumbest most uneducated ones.....three generations of nobody planning for jackshit and this is what u get,a giant snowball of shit that has been piling up for some time.....if u are twenty something years old its still understandable if u havent got ur affairs in order,but even the youth today has a high understanding of fiscal responsibility and financial literacy and some has already build portfolios of upwards 70k in their twenties and a few hundred k in their thirties.dont they have the slightest medical coverage?emergency funds?or long term savings?is the only solution when something happens is to sell ur hdb flat?sometimes if u are rich and wealthy,u wonder why do u have to go about paying for the stupidity and ignorance of others,obviously there are some that are genuinely suffering even though they try to do the best thing.but others especially daft sinkies are just asking for it themselves......economics is the study of how human beings fulfill unlimited wants with limited resouces.....its obvious ur friend has had unlimited wants from day one and no clue how to go about fulfilling long term...its amazing how some people can get married when they are twenty two and have kids when i dont even dare to buy a $1.5k laptop cause it might be harmful to my long term financial well being.

Agreed with you. The trouble is that they don't teach this in school.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This type of cases, you generally should not expect your money back, but sometimes you may be pleasantly surprised. Don't be so calculative. :wink:

Frankly, I feel it does not matter whether he pays back or not. 300 is not a big sum. I know the family and him well enough to know he is not that type of person.

As JW5 bro have said, don't be so calculative.

hsienloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly, I feel it does not matter whether he pays back or not. 300 is not a big sum. I know the family and him well enough to know he is not that type of person.

Always look on the bright side and persevere like Dr Chee Soon Juan.
There are many rag to rich, rich to rag stories to tell you the vicissitudes of life.
Just don't give up.
A friend in need is a friend in deed.

jw5

Loyal

Those self proclaimed elitist wannabe type from pa/grassroots cum internet warrior like forummer JohnTan tend to be very calculative. :wink: