• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Land Banking - FishBuff You Did Well...

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Median house price surges past $500,000

Date: March 8, 2010
Publication: Sydney Morning Herald (subscribe)

The median house price in Brisbane has topped $500,000 for the first time, signalling a strong recovery of the property market in the wake of the global financial crisis.

But this prosperity will see more people forced to relinquish their dreams of home ownership, with housing affordability in the Sunshine State set to worsen, financial analysts say.

Figures released yesterday by the Real Estate Institute of Queensland showed that the median house price for a three-bedroom house in Brisbane rose 8.1 per cent to $535,000 in the three months to the end of December 2009.

In 2004, 102 suburbs across greater Brisbane, including Moreton Bay, Ipswich and Logan, had a median house price below $300,000.

Now there are 25. Only seven of those suburbs are in Brisbane, including Inala, Acacia Ridge, Doolandella, Durack, Rocklea and Zillmere.

In 2004, there were only 23 suburbs with a median house price above $500,000. Now there are 99.

Chamber of Commerce Queensland general manager of policy Nick Behrens said the likelihood of home ownership for potential first-home buyers in Brisbane was becoming more remote.

''The prospect of home ownership is becoming a distant reality for a sizeable proportion of the population,'' Mr Behrens said.

He said the appreciation in house prices was due to rapid population growth in South-East Queensland outstripping available housing.

''The key issue here is supply and demand,'' he said.

The figures showed affordable housing stock has diminished in Brisbane, but REIQ managing director Dan Molloy said affordability had somewhat improved as a result of the global financial crisis.

''It's cold comfort to first-home buyers, but affordability is still better than what it was in 2008 when interest rates were high and it was taking up to 40 per cent of the median family income to service a typical mortgage.

''Interest rates, whilst they're on the way up, are still a long way from where they were.''

However Infrastructure Australia's inaugural State of Australian Cities 2010 report, released last Friday, revealed that average house prices in capital cities have increased to the equivalent of over seven years of average earnings - up from three years over the post-war period to the 1980s.

The prospect of home-ownership is therefore grim for low-income earners in suburbs south of Brisbane, including Kingston and Woodridge, where workers were taking home average annual wages of $31,521 and $31,552 respectively mid-way through 2007.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics the average household income in Brisbane in the same year was $41,720.

''The pressures on affordability are a function of strong demand and limited supply driven by strong population growth underpinned by a range of factors: higher immigration rates; a decline in standard home loan interest rates from the mid-1990s; and greater availability of credit,'' the State of Australian Cities report said.

But Queensland Council of Social Service president Karyn Walsh said the rental trap was of most concern, with a 17 per cent rise in weekly rental costs nationwide since 2000.

She said Brisbane suburbs with traditionally low rental prices had suddenly surged forcing families to move further away from the city and vital health and education services and abandon their plans for home-ownership.

''The worst case scenario is that they end up homeless and are sleeping in cars or with friends and relatives until they can find other accommodation,'' Ms Walsh said.

She said it was not uncommon for two families to share a house in order to afford the weekly rent and utility bills.

''We've seen up to 10 children living under one roof in suburbs including Holland Park, Mt Gravatt and Stafford.''

She said the impact of housing affordability on children was often overlooked.

''Children are affected by housing instability greatly. There is the constant trauma of moving, packing up their belongings, and losing things that are dear to them.

''Worse, it greatly disrupts their school life.'' Ms Walsh said worsening housing affordability was the consequence of prosperity.

''Unless governments pay attention - because the market doesn't - to people who are the most disadvantaged then we will see poverty rates get higher.''

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh yes, this is for me :smile: We all did well... heehee...

Price recovery affects suburbs at every level

Date: March 8, 2010
Publication: The Age (subscribe)

While the extraordinary 2009 performance of the Melbourne property market has been widely reported, it’s interesting to note that the one-year growth rate for 2009 actually exceeds the two-year growth rate for the city as a whole.

This is because Melbourne house and unit prices actually fell slightly in the 12 months to December 2008.

Melbourne was probably one of the best performing property markets in the world during the global financial crisis.

While house prices in the US and Britain fell by 30 per cent from peak to trough, Melbourne house prices fell by just over 3 per cent and units fell by less than 1 per cent.

The table below lists those suburbs that showed the biggest difference between their 2008 and 2009 markets, with the recent gains offsetting (in most cases) heavy drops in median prices during 2008.

The movements vary greatly suburb by suburb, with certain suburbs having their median price fall heavily in 2008 only to rebound strongly in 2009.

To qualify, a suburb had to have at least 30 house sales each year from 2007 to 2009.

A wide range of suburbs are included in the list, from the very affordable Cranbourne South to the newly minted million-dollar suburb of Parkville within a few kilometres of the central business district.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
nah, didnt get that place. someone beat me to it.

Huh ?! I told you before you have to be aggressive. Quite often a fair value may not be fair value to the seller.. Anyway, you haven't missed opportunity... the next boat is coming..

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huh ?! I told you before you have to be aggressive. Quite often a fair value may not be fair value to the seller.. Anyway, you haven't missed opportunity... the next boat is coming..

they already have contracts on the property but it require the sales of the buyers' property first before the transaction can go thru, so they look for alternate/backup contract and mine was that. when i put in mine, the original buyers desperate and change it to cash term.. oh well, lost one but there are others to see.

main thing is to buy low, i saw several buyers' got burnt on this; buy high and cannot sell. have to be really careful in this market or else u might risk burning oneself.

initially i thought cooper plains was a hot buy, went to the auction to see, angmoh all dont want to bid.. bid start and stayed at $300k. whereas the greenslope one went like hot cake, all the way to $680k. so i can conclude that southside are mainly popular with asians but the locals wont touch it with a ten foot pole.

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
initially i thought cooper plains was a hot buy, went to the auction to see, angmoh all dont want to bid.. bid start and stayed at $300k. whereas the greenslope one went like hot cake, all the way to $680k. so i can conclude that southside are mainly popular with asians but the locals wont touch it with a ten foot pole.

Like I always said.. local perspective.. is important. There is a lot of HDB buyers out there, go buying houses based on their HDB experience.. beware ! You should gather local views before going for your acquisition.

In any case, you can't go wrong when the economy is going up-up-up :smile:

Snooze

Alfrescian
Loyal
they already have contracts on the property but it require the sales of the buyers' property first before the transaction can go thru, so they look for alternate/backup contract and mine was that. when i put in mine, the original buyers desperate and change it to cash term.. oh well, lost one but there are others to see.

main thing is to buy low, i saw several buyers' got burnt on this; buy high and cannot sell. have to be really careful in this market or else u might risk burning oneself.

mate, cooper plains is part of industrial zoning right? have you checked with council? You should look at Salisbury. btw, you cant compare Greenslope with Cooper plains. Greenslope is just ~4-5km to city, and Cooper plains is at least twice the distance. There is Buranda bus infrastructure on the pipeline, making this zone into high density zone.

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal

can you provide more info on the property or the realestate.com.au link? street, land size + age?

so no bids past 300K? that sounds very low... there's some light industrial near coopers plains... depends on which part of the suburb i guess.

I am interested in that area as it's close to sunnybank but much cheaper. and its only 10 minutes to the city by express train.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
do you stay in brisbane? want to go to some auction together?

the cooper plains house has one fault, near to the rail line. i will take a look later and reaccess it.

There was another piece of property at chelmer that i was keen on. and i was the only one bidding for it,vendor bidded himself up to 400k and i refused to follow. In the end, no one got it. agent came and ask me if i can meet the vendor's bid. i say WTF.. i give u one price.. take it or leave it. agent went on to discuss with the vendor, i cant wait any longer and then i just walk off.

alot of people here has no money to put in 10-20% deposit. you will be surprise just how many bidders can afford it. most are chinese and indians that did the bidding.. that is why they see us chinese as carrot head.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Assess, Reassess versus Access

the cooper plains house has one fault, near to the rail line. i will take a look later and reaccess it.

There was another piece of property at chelmer that i was keen on. and i was the only one bidding for it,vendor bidded himself up to 400k and i refused to follow. In the end, no one got it. agent came and ask me if i can meet the vendor's bid. i say WTF.. i give u one price.. take it or leave it. agent went on to discuss with the vendor, i cant wait any longer and then i just walk off.

alot of people here has no money to put in 10-20% deposit. you will be surprise just how many bidders can afford it. most are chinese and indians that did the bidding.. that is why they see us chinese as carrot head.

Access -- You have access to John's files because he needed someone to retrieve his files when he is away.

Assess -- The income tax dept assessed your income tax return as filed.

Assess -- You assessed the real property located at xyz, and determined that it is not even worth making a bid.

Reassess -- Today, you reassessed the same real property, and determined that if you are successful in getting it re-zoned, it may have potential.

Snooze

Alfrescian
Loyal

between Chelmer and Cooper Plains, i will go for Chelmer, which is less than 10km to the city.

Brissy population has been 'forecasted' to grow from 2 millions to 4 millions. If you have to travel to work everyday, try to get something close to the city.

also, if you going to find something close to Brisbane River, in this case which is Chelmer, remember to jump onto Council website and see if the street is flood-proned.

try to avoid rails, if you going to upgrade next time, you will have a hard time selling. unless you do not mind living and retiring with the rail noises. Again, rail noises is going to increase when the population increases.

if budget is your concern, try looking at Rocklea, less than 10kms to the city, price is still affordable. just make sure the soil is not contaminated from the factories.

good time to buy now, with interest rates going up, you don't have fight with too much buyers, especially those without buying power.

happy house-hunting mate!

S

Last edited:

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
im also tired of going to auction, ok everyone there start to outbid each other and when the final bidder won the bid, the auctioneer will announce that the bidded price is below the reserved price. $%^&*(. so what is the point of auctioning. I told those agents that all these auctions are a waste of our time.

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
im also tired of going to auction, ok everyone there start to outbid each other and when the final bidder won the bid, the auctioneer will announce that the bidded price is below the reserved price. $%^&*(. so what is the point of auctioning. I told those agents that all these auctions are a waste of our time.

basically the vendor decided to hold out for a better offer in future...

the point of auctions is to

1) gauge the interest
2) create a "competitive" atmosphere so hopefully people will go crazy and outbid to get a higher price

these two reasons benefit the vendor only and not purchasers... so ya you are right not to go. many other reasons to avoid auctions... no cooling off periods etc.

i don't live in brisbane now, i'm only interested in the area as i used to live around there before. sorry i can't look at properties w u.

but basically what you are saying is that vendors are being unrealistic while buyers are backing off... that is quite interesting.

Snooze

Alfrescian
Loyal
basically the vendor decided to hold out for a better offer in future...

the point of auctions is to

1) gauge the interest
2) create a "competitive" atmosphere so hopefully people will go crazy and outbid to get a higher price

including all the ghost bidders.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm, you seem to be an insider... Let me add few words..

between Chelmer and Cooper Plains, i will go for Chelmer, which is less than 10km to the city.

Brissy population has been 'forecasted' to grow from 2 millions to 4 millions. If you have to travel to work everyday, try to get something close to the city.
Yes ! High influx of migrants.. booming economy... these are what i am trying to tell those pessimistic ppl here..

also, if you going to find something close to Brisbane River, in this case which is Chelmer, remember to jump onto Council website and see if the street is flood-proned.
Great advice.. Council has a 100yrs record.. a simple research will show the flood zone areas... (Guess what ? U dont need a lawyer !) hence, new development will normally hv to adhere to the new floor level and drainage, to avoid the floods..

try to avoid rails, if you going to upgrade next time, you will have a hard time selling. unless you do not mind living and retiring with the rail noises. Again, rail noises is going to increase when the population increases.
Agreed.. esp in Brisbane (may not be applicable for f**k hot properties in Melbourne/Sydney). There are ways to reduce the noise level such as 2m high brick fence and double glazed windows..

if budget is your concern, try looking at Rocklea, less than 10kms to the city, price is still affordable. just make sure the soil is not contaminated from the factories.
Easy search thru EPA will tell you if it is contaminated.. however, if previous zoning(past 50yrs) is under residential zoning, it will be safe.. next to a petrol service station is not a guarantee..

good time to buy now, with interest rates going up, you don't have fight with too much buyers, especially those without buying power.
Errr.. I dont think so.. last year between Jan-Jun 2009 was a good-der buy.. now, it is juz good. :smile:

happy house-hunting mate!
I got mine !

S

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hmm, you seem to be an insider... Let me add few words..

First, the council approval is slow.
Now, my construction workers run road to build gas plants for Gorgan.
Next, the builder sheepishly tells me, 1.5 years to build my houses.

HELP! I need workers. I think when the winter rain comes, I do not need to worry that the roofs are not up. hahaha.

Maybe Redbull can send some cheap Mexicans over from the US.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
First, the council approval is slow.
Now, my construction workers run road to build gas plants for Gorgan.
Next, the builder sheepishly tells me, 1.5 years to build my houses.

HELP! I need workers. I think when the winter rain comes, I do not need to worry that the roofs are not up. hahaha.

Maybe Redbull can send some cheap Mexicans over from the US.

Yo Bro, I suffered the same previously.. this is why I decided to pick up the hammer and wheelbarrow and DIY..

I have no complain for my indian worker.. Iran elec (good ! but..) too expensive.. the Chinese carpenter is like shit.. Overall, heng ah.. satisfactory ! :smile: I have transformed this crappy place into a present home.. currently, working on bath/toilet upgrade.. .. not too bad for a 2nd purchase :biggrin: