• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

La Liga Season 2011/2012

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday 16th November 2011

706779_33_preview.jpg

Casillas tops the charts with Spain

Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas became the most capped player in Spanish football on Tuesday night against Costa Rica.

Casillas was selected to start in Spain's 2-2 friendly draw with Costa Rica - his 127th appearance for the national team which breaks the record of 126 caps previously held by fellow shot-stopper Andoni Zubizarreta.

Perhaps nerves played a part for Costa Rica's opener as it was Casillas who handed the hosts the opener with a horrible error which allowed Randall Brenes to score. Joel Campbell added a second 10 minutes later to give Costa Rica a stunning 2-0 half-time lead.

It took until the 82nd minute for Spain to get back into the game when substitute David Silva combined with Andres Iniesta to fire home. And as the game entered stoppage time David Villa stooped to head home his 51st international goal and save the visitors' blushes.

It wasn't Casillas' best performance in a Spain shirt by any stretch of the imagination but it was nonetheless a memorable night for the Spain and Madrid skipper.

"I hope my run on the Spanish national team extends itself in time," he was quoted on Real Madrid's website as saying.

"I'm very happy and proud about this, and I should also thank my teammates. I have to make good use of every game I play with Spain and Real Madrid."

Top 5 most capped Spanish players

Casillas127
Zubizarreta126
Xavi
Raul102
Puyol96

<tbody>
</tbody>

Casillas made his first team debut for Spain against Sweden in Gothenburg on 3 July 2000.

In time, he would rise through the ranks to become skipper and captained Spain as they won Euro 2008 and the World Cup 2010 titles to become the only player since Didier Deschamps and Franz Beckenbauer to have previously achieved the feat with their national teams.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday 16th November 2011

611179_33_preview.jpg

Report: Real youth targets revealed

Real Madrid's transfer strategy may have just taken a hit after a Spanish newspaper published a leaked hit-list of five young players wanted by the club.

Marca - a publication known as the unofficial mouthpiece for Real - claim in a story under the headline 'Operation Madrid 2014' that it has received a leaked list of the club's top youth targets.

Names on the list include Arsenal's Jack Wilshere, Lille's Eden Hazard, Borussia Dortmund's Mario Gotze, Barcelona's Rafinha Alcantara and Athletic Bilbao's Iker Muniain.

The report suggests that the Madrid outfit are planning to have all five players at the Bernabeu by 2014.

However, the revelation of the list will have put the mentioned teams on red alert and any moves for the players from Madrid are likely to be met with hyper-inflated prices as a result.One of the club's targets, Wilshere recently told fans he would stay with Arsenal for his whole career.

The 19-year-old made his love for the Gunners apparent when asked how much the club meant to him.
Speaking to iFilm London, he responded to a question about whether he would stay at the North London club for life, saying: "I promise that, yeah. I've been at the club since I was nine and learned to love it.

"From the [Patrick] Vieira days, to [Dennis] Bergkamp, [Cesc] Fabregas, I've watched them come through and move on. There's a crop of new players, [Aaron] Ramsey, myself, Kieran Gibbs...hopefully we can really create something special.

"I love the club and I want to be part of its future."

However, it remains to be seen whether the North London outfit would turn down a mega-bid for their player despite his obvious quality.

In the past, Real Madrid have managed to tempt clubs to part with players as talented as Cristiano Ronaldo, who left Manchester United for a world record fee of £80million back in the summer of 2009.

Going back even further, Madrid also completed a deal for Luis Figo, who played for their bitter rivals Barcelona, in 2000.

Last edited:

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona brothers to stay together

17 November 2011

12427288940.jpg

Barcelona midfielder Thiago Alcantara expects his brother Rafinha to resist joining Real Madrid.Rafinha is considered one of the hottest prospects in Barca's youth ranks and is expected to follow in his brother's footsteps and join the club's first team soon.

The 18-year-old's exploits have seen him linked with Madrid, who were unsuccessful in their attempt to sign Thiago in the summer.

The Spain international said he was unaware of Madrid's interest in his brother, but expects him to stay at Camp Nou.

"I have known him since the day he was born, I have followed his every step," Thiago told AS.

"He is a great person and a great player, we do not know how far he can go, but I am sure he will be a great player."

"We are talking to the club, since I am going to stay, he might as well stay, too."
"He is very happy here. The reports about Madrid's interest are something we did not create.

It was the press who put him on their agenda, but I believe my brother is very happy here."

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thursday 17th November 2011

707163_33_preview.jpg

La Liga action returns with a bang

The La Liga campaign resumes this weekend following the international fortnight, with Barcelona`s Thiago defending his side`s post-break record.

The three-time defending champions are second in the table, three points behind Real Madrid, but have drawn four of their 11 games so far.

One particular stalemate, a 2-2 draw away to Real Sociedad, came after an international break, raising questions over whether or not Pep Guardiola`s side struggle for momentum after a week away from domestic action.

Thiago has played that down, though, and ahead of this weekend`s home meeting with Real Zaragoza, told www.fcbarcelona.com: "The fact that we`ve had complications in games after international breaks is fairly random.

"We`re back and we have the same desire to win as we did before. "The fact that the majority of Barca`s first-team players are named in national squads is great. It shows the hard work the players put in at the club."

Thiago also defended team-mate Lionel Messi, who has been accused by some critics of being unable to replicate his outstanding club form when away on international duty with Argentina. "It's a real joy to be able to play games and train alongside Leo Messi, he's a one-of-a-kind player," he added. "I don't understand the critics, but you have to respect them. Messi should always play."

Madrid`s title credentials will face their sternest examination so far when Jose Mourinho and his players head to third-placed Valencia. Madrid`s freescoring form has won them plenty of admirers - they have scored five more goals than Barca so far - but the man who has scored a third of their 39 goals is an injury concern.

Cristiano Ronaldo picked up an injury while helping his Portugal side into the Euro 2012 finals in a play-off against Bosnia-Herzegovina, with his club admitting as much in a statement on their official website. They did not, however, commit to saying whether or not he and team-mate Alvaro Arbeloa would be fit to face Unai Emery`s men.

"Cristiano Ronaldo did not train due to a strain in the adductor muscle of his left thigh and neither did Arbeloa, who is suffering from a strain in his left hamstring," read the statement. Both Barca and Madrid play on Saturday, as do mid-table duo Villarreal and Real Betis who square-up at El Madrigal.

Atletico Madrid take on deposed leaders Levante on Sunday, with coach Gregorio Manzano checking on the fitness of a number of key players. Turkey playmaker Arda Turan is struggling and has missed training this week, while Colombia striker Falcao has a hamstring problem that he is receiving treatment for. Antonio Lopez is trying to overcome a knee problem and Silvio a groin strain, but Jose Antonio Reyes has shaken off a virus.

Elsewhere on Sunday, Real Sociedad host Espanyol in the early kick-off, while Rayo Vallecanohead to Osasuna.

Malaga travel to Racing Santander in one of the day`s evening kick-offs, with Sebastian Fernandez hoping for more game time. The Uruguay striker scored the winner for his country as they beat Italy 1-0 on Rome on Tuesday, and he hopes he has shown club coach Manuel Pellegrini what he is capable of.

"I feel amazing, because this group (Uruguay) is amazing. Every time we get together it is a pleasure," he told reporters this week.
"I hope I have convinced (the coach) that I can play a bit more in Malaga."

In other games, Sporting Gijon face Getafe, fifth-placed Sevilla tackle Athletic Bilbao and lowlyGranada meet Mallorca.

Match Fixtures

Saturday

Villarreal vs Real Betis
Barcelona vs Zaragoza
Valencia vs Real Madrid

Sunday

Real Sociedad vs Espanyol
Osasuna vs Rayo Vallecano
Sporting Gijon vs Getafe
Sevilla vs Athletic Bilbao
Atletico Madrid vs LevanteG
ranada vs Mallorca

Monday

Racing Santander vs Malaga

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

696460_10_preview.jpg
Barcelona won't let up on Zaragoza
Real Zaragoza boss Javier Aguirre expects Barcelona to be at full-strength despite talk the Spanish champions may rest some of their international stars.

703501_10_preview.jpg

Real aim to continue winning run

Valencia striker Roberto Soldado is confident his side can halt the Real Madrid juggernaut and erase the memory of April's mauling at the Mestalla.

700282_10_preview.jpg

"Silva almost went to Real Madrid"
Valencia president Manuel Llorente has revealed that Manchester City star David Silva was close to a move to Real Madrid.

558410_10_preview.jpg
Abidal faces Barcelona exit
Eric Abidal's agent admits the chances of his client leaving Barcelona at the end of the season are increasing by the day.

656509_10_preview.jpg
Ronaldo: Being ahead of Barca helps
Cristiano Ronaldo admitted that being ahead of Barcelona on the La Liga standings is motivating his side this season.

707548_10_preview.jpg
Rafinha staying, Madrid still lurking
Barcelona starlet Rafinha Alcantara is expected to sign a new contract at the club on Monday.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Deco: Today´s Barca not as good

18 November 2011

12427289760.jpg

Fluminense midfielder Deco said Pep Guardiola's Barcelona side is not as good as the one he played in.

Deco, now 34, starred for Barca from 2004 until 2008, winning two La Liga titles and one Champions League trophy during his spell at Camp Nou.

The former Portugal international claimed the squad he was part of had more individual quality, although the present team is more complete.

"This Barcelona really play like a team and they have more quality overall than my Barca," Deco told Terra Brasil.
"

However, looking at individual quality, we had more players who could make the difference,"
"The current team plays better football, is more complete and always finds solutions for every situation.

However, we had more star players and individual class."
Deco played alongside key figures such as Ronaldinho, Samuel Eto'o and Ludovic Giuly among others during his time at Barcelona.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo fit for Valencia test

18 November 2011

12427289780.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo is confident of playing for Real Madrid at Valencia on Saturday.

Ronaldo injured his left thigh in Portugal's 6-2 win over Bosnia & Herzegovina on Tuesday in the second leg of the Euro 2012 play-off.

Ronaldo and his team-mate Alvaro Arbeloa both sat out Madrid's training session on Wednesday, but the Portuguese has now played down his chances of missing the game.

"I'm fine," Ronaldo said at the launch of his new Nike boots.
"I think I'll play against Valencia."

Madrid head into the clash at Mestalla as La Liga leaders with 28 points from 11 matches, while Valencia are third on 24 points.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dominguez extends contract at Atletico

18 November 2011

12427289750.jpg

Atletico Madrid defender Alvaro Dominguez has signed a new deal until the summer of 2015.

The centre-back had a contract until the end of the 2011-12 campaign and clubs such as Inter and Manchester United were reportedly closely monitoring Dominguez's situation.

Nevertheless, the former Spain Under-21 star has decided to snub the interest from abroad and has signed a three-year extension to his existing dea, AS reported.

Dominguez is a product of the Atletico Madrid youth academy and has developed into an important first team member since making his first team debut in October 2008.

The 22-year-old has made 91 appearances for the club.
He was part of the Spain squad that won the UEFA European U-21 Championship in Denmark.

He was called up to the senior side for the international friendlies against Chile and Liechtenstein, but has yet to make his debut.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guardiola undecided on Messi involvement

18 November 2011

12427289940.jpg

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola is in two minds whether to play superstar Lionel Messi in Saturday's La Liga clash with Real Zaragoza.

The European champions are expected to overpower Zaragoza at Camp Nou, but then take on Massimiliano Allegri's AC Milan for top spot in Group H of the Champions League on Wednesday.

Messi arrived back in Spain on Thursday after featuring for Argentina in 2014 World Cup qualifying and despite his willingness to be involved this weekend, Guardiola said he is yet to make a final decision.
"I have not decided whether he will play or not," the coach said.

"I will decide depending on what I feel. It is true that he wants to participate. Messi is ready to play for 90 minutes. He has a very quiet life with his family. Football is what fills [the gaps]. Tomorrow we will see what the team is," he said.

One man almost certain to play is Pedro, who has missed more than three weeks with an ankle injury.
"Pedro trained with us and looks good," Guardiola said."We'll see how he is tomorrow and whether he can play. He trained with his team-mates and without any pain."

Barcelona sit in second place in the Liga standings, three points behind Real Madrid at the summit.

Ricardo Kaka

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
La Liga wrap: Real maintain advantage

20 November 2011

12427290760.jpg

Real Madrid held off a late rally from Valencia to win 3-2 on Saturday, preserving their three-point lead over Barcelona in La Liga.Karim Benzema opened the scoring for visitors Real 20 minutes into the match at Estadio Mestalla.

The France international controlled a quick free-kick from Xabi Alonso with his left foot before rifling a fantastic volley into the back of the net from 18 yards out.
Real had to wait until the 72nd minute to find net again, with defender Sergio Ramos heading home from Mesut Oezil's corner.

The goal appeared to give Madrid the breathing space they needed to see out the rest of the game.
Valencia, however, saw the situation differently, as Roberto Soldado volleyed through a crowded penalty area to make it 2-1 on 75 minutes.

Four minutes later and Cristiano Ronaldo restored Real's two-goal buffer, slotting home from the tightest of angles after Valencia goalkeeper Diego Alves overcommitted.
But the end-to-end nature of the game was not over yet, as Soldado grabbed a second following some superb build-up play from substitute Pablo.

The match ended in controversy, with Valencia's players surrounding the referee after Ronaldo appeared to stop a last-minute goal-bound effort with his arm.
Jose Mourinho's team survived the appeals to record the win, which sees them remain top by three points from champions Barcelona, who eased to a 4-0 victory at home to Real Zaragoza.

Centre-back Gerard Pique opened the scoring through a header 18 minutes into the match at Camp Nou.
Argentine star Lionel Messi made it 2-0 three minutes before the break, finding space to shoot after being played in by Cesc Fabregas.

Veteran skipper Carles Puyol scrambled home a third from close range on 54 minutes.
And David Villa completed the scoring with 15 minutes remaining, netting a diving header at the back post for his first league goal since September.

In the other match on Saturday, Borja Valero's 21st-minute effort was enough for Villarreal to see off promoted team Real Betis 1-0 at home.

Ricardo Kaka

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Granada vs. Mallorca match abandoned after linesman hit by umbrella thrown from stands
First Posted: 11/20/11 07:13 PM ET Updated: 11/20/11 07:21 PM ET

GRANADA, Spain - A Spanish league match between Granada and Mallorca on Sunday was abandoned in the 63rd minute after a linesman was hit in the face by an umbrella hurled from the stands at Los Carmenes stadium.

The referee immediately ordered his fellow officials and the teams off the pitch, with Granada winning 2-1. After some 20 minutes, he announced the match would be continued at a later date.

Granada coach Fabricio Gonzalez said "We are in a state of shock. Our fans have always helped us and this is a pity."

Granada returned to Spain's topflight this season after 35 years in lower divisions.

It is currently in the relegation zone after 11 games.

Ricardo Kaka

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Sevilla fall to in-form Bilbao

21 November 2011

12427291310.jpg

Athletic Bilbao extended their unbeaten run to 11 matches in all competitions with a 2-1 win away to Sevilla on Sunday.

Visitors Athletic opened the scoring just six minutes into the La Liga contest at Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, with Andoni Iraola slotting home after a well-worked free kick.
Jesus Navas levelled for Sevilla in the 14th minute, finding the far corner of the net when he connected with Frederick Kanoute's downward header.

Despite both teams enjoying chances, it took until the 70th minute for the decisive goal to arrive.
And it fell to Athletic, with Oscar de Marcos scoring after collecting Iker Muniain's perfectly weighted through ball.The win sees Marcelo Bielsa's team climb to eighth, level on points with six-placed Malaga.

Sevilla are one point better off in fifth.
In other matches, Atletico Madrid held off Levante to win 3-2 at home.Visitors Levante were level going into the final 20 minutes, after Xavi Torres cancelled out Pizzi's opener.

Adrian and Diego struck in the space of 10 minutes to make it 3-1 to Atletico, while Ruben Suarez Estrada's 93rd-minute effort arrived too late for Levante to level again.
Sporting Gijon staged a comeback to beat 10-man Getafe 2-1 at home.

Oscar Trejo struck from the penalty spot to equalise for Sporting six minutes into first-half injury time, after Miku had earlier put Getafe ahead.
The visitors went down to 10 men when Abdelaziz Barrada received a straight red card on 62 minutes.

The hosts had to wait until two minutes from time to force the breakthrough, with former Rangers striker Nacho Novo eventually making the man advantage count.

Elsewhere, Osasuna were held 0-0 at home by Rayo Vallecano, while Espanyol also played out a goalless draw at Real Sociedad.

And Granada's match at home to Mallorca was called off after an object thrown from the crowd struck an assistant referee.

The hosts were leading 2-1 in the second half when Referee Clos Gomez called a halt to the match after linesman Aguilar Rodriguez, was struck by an umbrella thrown from the crowd.

Ricardo Kaka

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barca will re-sign Abidal

20 November 2011

12427291000.jpg

Barcelona vice-president Josep Maria Bertomeu said the renewal of Eric Abidal's contract is just a matter of time.

The France international's current deal with the Camp Nou outfit runs out at the end of the season, with negotiations over a new deal so far proving fruitless.

Abidal's agent admitted earlier this week that the 32-year-old wanted to retire at the club, but urged Barca to come to an understanding with his client, or he could leave at the end of the season.

"We have to be prudent," Bertomeu said.
"There are almost no differences in our positions, we are very close, but it is not done yet.""We are still negotiating. We want Abidal to continue with us. We are very interested in that."

Barca sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta also spoke of a contract extension, with youngster Rafinha having renewed his contract until 2014.

"Both parties had been expecting this news," the ex-goalkeeper said.
"This is a player who has a great future ahead of him."

Ricardo Kaka

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Di Maria nears Real return

21 November 2011

12427291470.jpg

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho could call on Angel Di Maria for Saturday's La Liga match with city rivals Atletico Madrid, Marca reports.

Di Maria has been out of action for Real since sustaining a hamstring injury in November 6's 7-1 league mauling of Osasuna.

The former Benfica attacker returned to the training pitch on Friday for an individual practice session and is expected to resume regular squad training in the coming days.

It is not yet certain that Argentina international Di Maria will be match fit in time for Saturday's match at the Santiago Bernabeu against Atletico, but Madrid are hopeful he will recover in time to feature in the derby.

Di Maria's team-mates are in preparation for Tuesday's Champions League Group D home match against Dinamo Zagreb, with progression to the knockout stages already secured.

Ricardo Kaka

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Godin open to Chelsea move

22 November 2011

12427291690.jpg

Atletico Madrid defender Diego Godin says he would entertain a move to Chelsea amid reported interest from the English Premier League club.

Chelsea were said to have made a bid for the central defender in January, but were unsuccessful in their attempts to land the Uruguayan.

But the former Villarreal man has given the west London club hope by confirming he would be open to a Premier League switch.

"If there is interest from Chelsea, I will study it," Godin said.
"At the moment, there is nothing. For now I am at Atletico Madrid and I am not thinking of anything else. There is nothing official."

Godin remained respectful to his current employers, saying the La Liga outfit had 'given me everything'.

"I owe a lot to Atletico and I cannot say that I would like to play for another team.

I have great respect (for Atletico), a contract and the team have given me everything," he said.

The 25-year-old defender joined Atletico in August 2010 for eight million euros, signing a five-year deal.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga: Racing 1 Malaga 3

22 November 2011

12427291880.jpg

Malaga climbed to fifth in La Liga after securing a 3-1 win away to Racing Santander on Monday.

Visitors Malaga eased into a two-goal lead at El Sardinero, thanks to Isco's strike and an Alvaro Gonzalez own goal.
Racing pulled one back through Manuel Arana with 20 minutes remaining.But Manuel Pellegrini's side secured all three points when Sebastian Fernandez netted with a minute remaining.

Malaga dictated terms during the first half, but were unable to capitalize on their dominance, with Salomon Rondon and Fernandez both guilty of wasting chances.
Hector Cuper's hosts were lucky to still be level at the break, and the second half was only three minutes old when they did fall behind.

Malaga launched a lightning counterattack in the 48th minute, ending in attacking midfielder Isco calmly slotting home the opening goal.
They were soon 2-0 ahead, when Gonzalez put the ball into his net on 65 minutes.

The closing exchanges were made interesting when winger Arana scored following a quick breakaway for Racing.
But the home side proved unable to force the equaliser in the time remaining.And forward Fernandez put the result beyond doubt when he made it 3-1 on 89 minutes.

Malaga move up to fifth, three points behind Levante and two ahead of second-placed Sevilla.
Racing meanwhile remain inside the relegation zone.They face an important clash away to fellow strugglers Mallorca on Sunday, while Malaga host Villarreal on Monday.

Ricardo Kaka

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Topal flattered by Premier League interest

22 November 2011

12427292010.jpg

Valencia midfielder Mehmet Topal says he is honoured to be linked with a Premier League move.Mehmet moved to La Liga from Galatasaray in the summer of 2010 and has gone on to establish himself as a steady performer at the Mestalla.

Premier League big guns Chelsea and Manchester City are reportedly interested in the 25-year-old - who has a release clause worth a reported 10 million euros - and the Turkey midfielder admits that it is an honour to be linked with a move to England.

"I know that there are teams following me," Mehmet told the Dogan News Agency. "This makes me incredibly happy. The Premier League is my dream."
"However, Spain also makes me very happy and I have dreams I want to accomplish here. At the end of the season, I'll come to a decision."

Meanwhile, Mehmet, who was only used sparingly by his country in their unsuccessful bid to qualify for Euro 2012, has voiced his hope that the Turkish national team will have a brighter future with Abdullah Avci as coach.

"Now we must look to the future. I hope the new management has managed everyone's form fairly. I believe we will achieve success under Abdullah Avci's management," he said.

Falcao

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

710688_10_preview.jpg
Suker: Real are hungrier than Barca
Ex Real Madrid forward Davor Suker feels that Real Madrid’s insatiable hunger will soon see them pip arch rivals Barcelona in the chase for silverware.

692769_10_preview.jpg
Barcelona's Vilanova undergoes surgery
Barcelona assistant coach Tito Vilanova has undergone surgery on a salivary gland, the club announced.

707548_10_preview.jpg

Rafinha commits future to Barcelona

Barcelona have announced that attacker Rafinha Alcantara has signed a new contract with the club.

709724_10_preview.jpg
Gonzalez laments 'unfortunate' incident
Granada coach Fabri Gonzalez believes "bad luck" caused the incident that led to his side's La Liga game against Real Mallorca being abandoned.

Falcao

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

710996_10_preview.jpg

Barca refocus on La Liga charge
Coach Pep Guardiola has played down his contribution to Barcelona's run of success, despite the club winning three Spanish league titles during his tenure.

645736_10_preview.jpg

Barcelona continue to watch Bale
Barcelona are picking up the pace in their pursuit of Tottenham Hotspur star Gareth Bale.

697050_10_preview.jpg
Joaquin ruled out for three weeks
Ambitious La Liga outfit Malaga have confirmed winger Joaquin will be out of action for up to three weeks.

Falcao

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga preview: Madrid rivals vie for derby spoils

24 November 2011

proxy

Atletico Madrid will be out to break a barren run against city rivals and La Liga leaders Real Madrid on Saturday.Without a win over their neighbours since 1999, Atletico will be hoping their run of four wins in their past five matches could propel them to a rare triumph over Jose Mourinho's men at the Bernabeu.

And Atletico midfielder Gabi said there was no reason he and his team-mates should be intimidated by Real.
"Not beating a team for so long is something that does not happen frequently to any side," he said.

"We have a double chance here, to end our negative run and win at the Bernabeu."
"We will go for the victory. There is no reason to fear anyone. This is the moment to show we are a good team, we need to have a good match at the Bernabeu.""This will be a special match, for the players and the fans. We will give our all to celebrate the victory with the fans."

European and domestic champions Barcelona will also be in action on Saturday, aiming to maintain the pressure on leaders Real when they travel to Getafe.
Barca trail Real by three points in the early stages of the season, but will be buoyed by a 3-2 away win over AC Milan on Tuesday that booked their Champions League last-16 spot.In the early kickoff.

Rayo Vallecano will take on the third-placed Valencia - who trail Pep Guardiola's men by four points in the standings.

On Sunday, Levante will be hoping to stem the tide of three straight losses when they host an in-form Sporting Gijon.
Levante's brilliant start to the season has dropped off, while Gijon have racked up five matches unbeaten after a poor start to the league campaign saw them earn one point in seven games.

Also on Sunday, Espanyol welcome Osasuna, Athletic Bilbao take on bottom Granada and sixth-placed Sevilla travel to Real Zaragoza.

Real Betis will look to end a spate of recent defeats when they host Real Sociedad in the early kickoff, before Mallorca and Racing Santander do battle.