• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

La Liga Season 2011/2012

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Menezes: Neymar can be better than Messi

2 November 2011

12427280860.jpg

Brazil coach Mano Menezes believes Santos wunderkind Neymar has the potential to be even better than Argentine ace Lionel Messi.

But Menezes said Neymar still has some way to go before he can be considered as good as the Barcelona star.

A brilliant year for Santos, culminating with the Copa Libertadores title in July, has allowed Neymar to be mentioned in the same breath as the world's most distinguished footballers.

Further proof of Neymar's evolution was given on Tuesday, when he was named on the shortlist for the Fifa Ballon d'Or award.

But Menezes left nobody in any doubt who the better player is at the moment when asked the question at a press conference in Porto Alegre.

"Messi, Messi, Messi, that one is easy," Menezes said.
"Neymar can reach Messi's level, even be better than Messi, but the way to judge football is by success and Messi has achieved more so far."

"He is a more mature player and that is why I believe he is better than Neymar.

"
Messi and Neymar could meet in December, when Santos and European champions Barcelona both dispute the Club World Cup.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi still waiting for Pele´s package

2 November 2011

12427281230.jpg

Lionel Messi says he is still waiting for a DVD with highlights of Pele's career that the Brazilian legend recently promised him.

Pele said he would send footage of his best moments to Messi after the Argentine revealed he had never seen him in action, but the man widely regarded as the best player in the world is still awaiting the arrival of the package.

"I would love to see Pele in action, but he still hasn't sent me the DVD of his goals," Messi told France Football.

"Everyone says he was an extraordinary player, but I can't form an opinion without having seen him play.

"
While some observers say Messi could be even better than Pele or Argentine wizard Diego Maradona, the Barcelona star said his first priority is winning more trophies for his club.

"I am not interested in such comparisons and don't play to be the best in the world. I am playing for the good of the team and want to win trophies," he said.

"When I hang up my boots, I want to be remembered as a good player, but I don't care whether I'm the best. I want to be remembered for the titles I won, both with the team and individual trophies."

The 24-year-old attacker is one of 23 players who have made the shortlist for the 2011 Fifa Ballon d'Or.

Messi previously won the trophy in 2009 and 2010 and could become just the second player in history to win the prestigious award three years in a row after Frenchman Michel Platini.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zidane tells Oezil to be himself

2 November 2011

12427281280.jpg

Real Madrid's Mesut Oezil says the club's sporting director Zinedine Zidane is keen to let him 'play his own game'.

The German international playmaker joined the Spanish giants from Werder Bremen last year and quickly developed into an important first-team member at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Although he has been less impressive in the opening months of the 2011/12 campaign, he is pleased to still have Zidane's support.
"I often speak with Zidane.

He tells me all the time: 'Mesut, you know what you're capable of. Go out there on the pitch and play your own game, just do your own thing out there'," Oezil told Kicker.

The 23-year-old faces stiff competition from resurgent Brazilian international Kaka for a starting berth, but he remains confident in his own abilities.

"Kaka is doing very well at the moment. So I don't play every single game. Jose Mourinho has explained that whoever is doing a good job is playing," he said.

"We have a lot of big names in the team and they all want to play. I want the same thing, though. I am very happy to be part of this Madrid and want to stay put for many years."

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thursday 3rd November 2011

700384_33_preview.jpg

Banega facing six weeks on sidelines

Valencia midfielder Ever Banega could be sidelined for up to six weeks after suffering a knee injury in the win over Bayer Leverkusen, the La Liga club have announced.

The Argentina international had to be replaced after 24 minutes of the 3-1 triumph at the Mestalla and tests this morning have revealed he has strained ligaments in his right knee.

According to the Valencia website, the 23-year-old Banega, who has been a virtual ever-present so far this season for Los Che, is likely to be out for between four and six weeks.

Valencia will be relieved the problem is not more serious, having already lost Hedwiges Maduro (ankle) and Sergio Canales (knee) to long-term injuries this season.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thursday 3rd November 2011

682357_33_preview.jpg

City lose to Real in Neymar quest

Manchester City are set to be disappointed in their bid to sign Neymar from Santos, with Real Madrid close to a deal.

According to reports in the Daily Mail, the La Liga giants are close to sealing a £48 million transfer for the Brazilian in January, despite the best efforts of City manager Roberto Mancini, who urged his club to do everything possible to lure the 19-year-old star to the Etihad Stadium.

The Premier League big-spenders have even gone to the extent of sending coach Attilio Lombardo to South American to scout the player, and reported that Neymar could be the Citizen's version of Wayne Rooney, who joined up from Everton as a promising youngster and led the Red Devils to several titles and silverware.

But it won't just be the Citizens set to be disappointed, with rivals Chelsea also rueing their own failure, as the Brazilian snubbed a move to Stamford Bridge last summer.

Reports in Spain indicate that Neymar would prefer to move to the Bernabeu instead of England, and will sign on a huge deal that will make him the third highest paid star at Real Madrid, only behind Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka in the money-stakes.

Real will look to pay Santos £20 million in an initial down-payment before 2011 ends, with the remainder of the fee to be paid in installments.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Santos: No Neymar deal with Real

3 November 2011

12427281810.jpg

Santos president Luis Alvaro Ribeiro has dismissed claims that Neymar has agreed to join Real Madrid in January.

Reports on Wednesday had suggested Jose Mourinho's side were closing in on the 19-year-old's signature for a fee of 53 million euros.
However, the latest batch of rumours has forced the Brazilian club's patron to publicly declare that no such move is currently in the pipeline.

"There is no agreement with Real Madrid," Ribeiro told Catalan station Ona FM.
"We still have the intention of keeping Neymar for the time being. Madrid can offer figures close to his release clause, but we are not a commercial company and Santos are not interested in the money."

"We have no interest in selling, and I think a renewal is possible. He has a contract until 2015 but we are willing to improve his terms, as we will do everything for him to stay with us."
"However, we are open to the will of player."

Ribeiro then discussed the chances that Neymar would move to Barcelona after he was asked where he would prefer the player to go if he did leave.
"I am trying to set up a dinner date with (Barcelona president) Sandro Rosell, as he is my friend. I feel great sympathy for Barcelona."

"However, Real Madrid are a great club as well, as they wear white like Santos - but Catalunya and Barcelona have a place in my heart."
Neymar has netted 11 times in 18 appearances in the Brazilian Serie A this season.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi an Anzhi target, says Carlos

3 November 2011

12427282010.jpg

Roberto Carlos has highlighted the boundless ambition of Anzhi Makhachkala after revealing Lionel Messi was a transfer target of the club.

Brazilian left-back Carlos moved to Anzhi from Corinthians at the start of 2011, part of an ambitious plan to make the Russian Premier League club a powerhouse in European football.

He was joined in the close-season by Samuel Eto'o, who signed from Inter in a deal reported to be worth 28 million euros.

Speaking on Thursday, 2002 World Cup winner Carlos revealed that club owner Suleyman Kerimov tried to sign Ballon d'Or winner Messi, as well as Santos starlet Neymar, in the recent transfer window.

"Kerimov put three big names on the table: Eto'o, Messi and Neymar," Carlos said.

"The Cameroonian (Eto'o) thought about it a lot and was the first to sign. Now I hope that the other two follow his example."
Anzhi are currently eighth in the Russian Premier League.

Falcao

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga preview: No rest for top two in tight competition

4 November 2011

12427282300.jpg

Real Madrid and Barcelona enter their La Liga clashes on the back of strong wins, while the Valencia derby is shaping to be a crucial one. Jose Mourinho's men continue to impress, extending their winning run in all competitions to nine matches after a 2-0 victory over Lyon in the Champions League on Wednesday.

While Cristiano Ronaldo, Gonzalo Higuain and Karim Benzema continue to score freely, goalkeeper Iker Casillas is marshalling a tight defence that has conceded just six goals in 10 league matches.
Osasuna are eighth and on a three-match unbeaten run, but a trip to face the red-hot Real at the Santiago Bernabeu could bring that streak to an end.

Meanwhile, champions Barcelona, who are a point behind Real, will visit Marcelo Bielsa's Athletic Bilbao.
Lionel Messi hammered a hat-trick in their 4-0 thrashing of Viktoria Plzen in the Champions League, taking his tally to six goals in the three games since he missed a penalty against Sevilla on October 22.

They are unbeaten and have conceded just four times, but Pep Guardiola will want to ensure they keep winning with Real still leading the league.

Elsewhere, city rivals Levante and Valencia do battle for third place on Saturday.
Surprise packets Levante were league leaders until falling to a 2-0 loss to Osasuna, but they remain two points clear in third despite the defeat.Valencia will be confident of recording a win on their travels and taking third, with Roberto Soldado (six goals) leading the way up front.

Elsewhere, Granada play host to Racing Santander in what is shaping as a relegation six-pointer on Sunday.
Both teams recorded wins last time out, but a victory for either will move them clear of the bottom three.

Fifth-placed Sevilla travel to take on Mallorca on Saturday, while Malaga visit Real Betis searching for a second straight win.
Sporting Gijon sit just outside the relegation zone ahead of their trip to Real Zaragoza, while last-placed Getafe will take on Atletico Madrid.

Sitting on eight points in a tight bottom half of the table, Real Sociedad will go to Rayo Vallecano, while Espanyol meet Villarreal.

Falcao

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real duo set for return

5 November 2011

12427282640.jpg

Real Madrid duo Alvaro Arbeloa and Fabio Coentrao are back in full training ahead of the clash against Osasuna at the weekend.

Coentrao limped out of Wednesday's 2-0 Champions League victory over Lyon and had been a major doubt ahead of Sunday's La Liga match at the Bernabeu.

Arbeloa did not travel to France due to a minor muscle injury, but will also likely be available for selection.

Nuri Sahin also trained with the first team but it remains unclear whether the Turkey international will be available.

However, Kaka, Marcelo and Ricardo Carvalho will miss the game as they continue to nurse the injuries that kept them out of Wednesday's match at Stade Gerland.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Valencia trump local rivals
6 November 2011

12427283430.jpg

Valencia took the bragging rights and moved level on points with Barcelona on Saturday after defeating local rivals Levante 2-0 in La Liga.Thanks to their recent seven-match unbeaten run, which ended with defeat to Osasuna last week, Levante came into a derby ahead of Valencia in the league table for the first time since 1964/65.

But two unusual goals and a fantastic display from Tino Costa saw Unai Emery's visitors become the first side to defeat Levante at home this season.After an eventful start at Estadio Ciutat de Valencia, the match became a cagey affair as both teams struggled to retain possession.

In the 31st minute, some technical brilliance from Costa, handed a starting berth in place of the injured Ever Banega, changed the game.The playmaker dispatched a wonderful pass from deep which split Levante's defence and found Jordi Alba, whose shot deflected off centre-back Javi Venta and around Levante goalkeeper Gustavo Munua for an own-goal.

Costa made the difference again in the second half.He swung a 49th-minute free-kick into the back of Munua's goal, with the keeper completely fooled by the trajectory of the shot.Arouna Kone wasted a chance to reduce the deficit when he attempted to beat Valencia goalkeeper Vicente Guaita, with a pass to Carlos Aranda the better option.

Later, Aranda had Levante's last real sight of goal, with his hard, left-footed strike saved by a sprawling Guaita.Valencia saw out the closing exchanges in relative comfort, and their victory lifts them above Levante and into third.

They are level on 24 points with reigning champions Barcelona, who visit Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.Elsewhere, Malaga were held 0-0 in their match away to Real Betis.The draw leaves Malaga sixth, one place and one point behind Sevilla, who also played out a 0-0 stalemate at Mallorca.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

696087_10_preview.jpg
Messi aims to crack tough Bilbao
Lionel Messi has warned Barcelona's opponents Athletic Bilbao there is more to come from him after an exceptional start to the season.

690794_10_preview.jpg

Ronaldo: It'll be a glory year for Real
Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo is ready to put aside personal accolades and help his side to "a year of glory".

700496_10_preview.jpg
"We can stop Ronaldo with a rope"
Osasuna defender Ruben believes there is hardly anyway to stop Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo other than tying him up with a rope.

680456_10_preview.jpg
Lippi: Barcelona are the best ever
Former Italy and Juventus coach Marcello Lippi believes Barcelona are the best team in the history of football.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

700496_33_preview.jpg

"We can stop Ronaldo with a rope"

Osasuna defender Ruben believes there is hardly anyway to stop Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo other than tying him up with a rope.

The Portuguese reached the hundred-goal mark for the Los Blancos during his side's 2-0 Champions League over Lyon in midweek.

Osasuna will be out to stop him from adding to his incredible tally on Saturday in the La Liga.

And Ruben has an unconventional idea.

"How do you stop Ronaldo? With a rope. I don't really know, we will see during the game," Ruben told the press.

"Real Madrid are in a great moment of form and they are getting some good results. They also qualified from their Champions League group.

"However, despite Real Madrid's strengths, we will play the game with everything we have."

Madrid lead the Liga standings on 25 points, one ahead of Barcelona.

Last edited:

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Neymar to the Bernabeu?

6 November 2011
12427283290.jpg

Real Madrid executive directors have reportedly arrived in Brazil to begin negotiations with Santos over the signing of teen sensation Neymar.

The striker has been heavily linked with a move to Europe for months, with Real and their fierce rivals Barcelona believed to be leading the chase.

But it appears Jose Mourinho's club could have won the chase for the highly-rated forward.

Brazilian newspaper O Estado has reported Real's executive directors arrived in Brazil on Saturday with a representative from a Spanish bank as they look to agree a transfer fee.

The officials will meet with Santos president Luiz Alfaro Ribeiro de Oliveira on Sunday in an attempt to close a deal.

Madrid would pay around 60 million euros in total for the 19-year-old with 20 million paid up front.

Neymar has made 42 appearances for Santos this season, scoring 21 goals.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Ronaldo Real´s hat-trick hero, Barca struggle

7 November 2011

12427284000.jpg

Real Madrid thrashed Osasuna 7-1 to move three points clear at the top of La Liga, as Barcelona scrambled a draw at Athletic Bilbao.

Cristiano Ronaldo headed home Angel di Maria's cross to open the scoring for Real after 23 minutes of Sunday's match, and the Portugal forward went on to net a hat-trick in the thumping victory at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Osasuna drew level when Ibrahima Balde beat Real goalkeeper Iker Casillas on 29 minutes.
But it took Real just five minutes to restore their lead.Di Maria was the provider again, but this time is was defender Pepe who provided the headed goal.

And it was 3-1 shortly before half-time, with Argentine striker Gonzalo Higuain finding the top corner to cap off a good move involving Mesut Oezil and Di Maria.
Osasuna went a man down and fell further behind 10 minutes into the second half, with Jesus Maria Satrustegui shown a red card for bringing down Oezil inside the box.

Ronaldo converted from the spot to make it 4-1, and five minutes later the former Manchester United man netted another header to complete his hat-trick.
Karim Benzema added further gloss to the score-line, notching a brace in the final 30 minutes after coming on as a second-half substitute.

Real's hefty win was made all the sweeter when second-placed Barcelona dropped points later in the day.
The reigning champions trailed twice in their match away to Athletic Bilbao, who led through a well-taken shot from Ander Herrera in the 20th minute at Estadio San Mames.

Barca levelled four minutes, later courtesy of a Cesc Fabregas header from Eric Abidal's inch-perfect cross.
Barca looked set to suffer their first defeat of the league season when Spain striker Fernando Llorente restored the home side's advantage with 10 minutes to go.

But Argentine superstar Lionel Messi found enough space to net the equaliser a minute into injury time.
Barca remain second, but are now three points behind leaders Real and one point ahead of third-placed Valencia.

Elsewhere, Diego Castro Gimenez's late penalty saw 10-man Getafe record a 3-2 win at home to Atletico Madrid.
Miguel Perez Cuesta's brace helped Rayo Vallecano smash Real Sociedad 4-0 at home.

And Helder Postiga's 93rd-minute equaliser salvaged a point for Real Zaragoza in a 2-2 draw at home to Sporting Gijon.
:biggrin:

Finally, Racing Santander came away from their trip to Granada with a 0-0 draw, and Espanyol also played out a stalemate in their match at home to Villarreal.

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

665158_10_preview.jpg
Guardiola proud of battling Barca
Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola insisted he had seldom been prouder of his side despite their battling draw away to Athletic Bilbao.

703144_10_preview.jpg

Sahin relieved to make Real debut

Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin admitted he felt a little nervous before coming on to make his debut for the team in Sunday's 7-1 win over Osasuna.

703122_10_preview.jpg
Fabregas: Barca showed our character
Barcelona star Cesc Fabregas was pleased at the manner that his side fought back to maintain their unbeaten run during a 2-2 draw with Athletic Bilbao.

703118_10_preview.jpg
Blackburn consider Dos Santos move
Blackburn Rovers are considering a swoop to bring Jonathan dos Santos from Barcelona to England.

Ronaldo wants focus to be on team
Cristiano Ronaldo insists the team is of utmost importance after his hat-trick ensured Real Madrid remained top of La Liga heading into the international break.

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monday 7th November 2011

703144_33_preview.jpg

Sahin relieved to make Real debut

Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin admitted he felt a little nervous before coming on to make his debut for the team in Sunday's 7-1 win over Osasuna.

The former Borussia Dortmund player, who was voted the best player in the Bundesliga last season, has been sidelined through injury since making his €10million move to the Bernabeu in the summer.

Sahin came off the bench for Sami Khedira in the second half as Madrid eased past Osasuna.

"It's been a great day for me," Sahin told the club's website.

"I wish to thank everyone at the Santiago Bernabeu, my teammates, the manager and the president. I must now work hard to be able to help the team.

"I'm very happy for playing my first game with Real Madrid. It's been difficult being injured.

"I was a little nervous before coming on because it was my first match before the fans. I felt confident and happy after a couple of minutes.

We must continue to work hard because we will face difficult games after the league break."

However, it was Sahin's team-mate, Portuguese superstar Ronaldo who stole the show with his 12th hat-trick in a goal-laden Real career as Madrid won 7-1 in a midday kick-off at the Bernabeu.

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ibusuki called up by Sevilla

7 November 2011

12427282970.jpg

Another Japanese player could soon be playing in La Liga after Sevilla Atletico's Hiroshi Ibusuki was called up by parent club Sevilla this week.

The 20-year-old striker participated in team practice for the first time on Thursday and is likely to start on the bench in Saturday's match against Mallorca after being selected for the 18-man squad.

Sevilla are currently without strikers Alvaro Negredo and Frederic Kanoute, who are recovering from injuries.
"If I'm called up I want to make the most of it," Ibusuki said.

The forward spent the 2009/10 season with Zaragoza B before being loaned to CE Sabadell for 2010/11, and he joined Spanish third division side Sevilla Atletico in the off-season.

While Ibusuki is only likely to be used as a reserve and may not see much playing time, the call-up represents another big step forward for Japanese players in a league widely considered the world's best.

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Di Maria blow for Madrid

7 November 2011

12427284130.jpg

Real Madrid winger Angel Di Maria may be sidelined for up to a month after sustaining a hamstring strain in the side's 7-1 La Liga win over Osasuna on Sunday.

The former Benfica star set up all three of Real Madrid's first-half goals but was forced from the pitch soon after the interval.

Di Maria will undergo further examination on Monday to clarify the extent of the problem, but boss Jose Mourinho knows only too well what to expect.

"He has a hamstring injury. We will have to wait for results of further tests, but I have enough experience to realise that he will be unavailable for some time," Mourinho said.

Di Maria had made 47 appearances for the league leaders since his move in June last year and has announced his withdrawal from the Argentina squad to face both Bolivia and Colombia in World Cup qualifiers on November 11 and 15 respectively.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

703501_10_preview.jpg
Ronaldo praises Ozil influence
Real Madrid ace Cristiano Ronaldo believes the presence of Mesut Ozil in the side has made him a better player.

703378_10_preview.jpg
Manzano given vote of confidence
Atletico Madrid sporting director Jose Caminero has told coach Gregorio Manzano that the club hierarchy is in full support of him despite a difficult start.

697135_10_preview.jpg
Mourinho: We deserve these ten victories
Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho hailed the performance of his team after recording their tenth straight victory in the La Liga with a 7-1 win over Osasuna.

626879_10_preview.jpg
Barcelona will "never, ever be for sale"
Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has hit out at the growing trend of foreign ownership of football clubs and insisted his own club will "never, ever be for sale".

703245_10_preview.jpg
Bielsa frustrated by Barca draw
Athletic Bilbao coach Marcelo Bielsa cut a frustrated figure after his side were denied a famous victory over Barcelona in Sunday's 2-2 draw at San Mames.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona president calls for 16-team La Liga

8 November 2011

12427284570.jpg

Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has called for a reduction to the number of teams in La Liga from 20 to 16.

The chief of the Catalan club noted that the top tier of Spanish football is going through a difficult moment and a reduction to 18 teams in the first instance and then to 16 teams is necessary for the competition to survive.

Rosell stressed that from the 20 teams who are currently competing in La Liga, only Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao and Osasuna are in a stable financial situation.
"Some of the remaining 16 teams are in a bad situation and I do not believe they will recover," he said at the International Football Arena conference in Zurich.

"Perhaps next year they will be in the second or third divisions, or will disappear altogether."
The Barcelona president expressed his doubts about Spanish clubs being bought over by foreign investors, like in the case of Malaga and Racing Santander.

"My question is about where we are going and what will happen when these clubs can have access to limitless resources," he said.
"They are coming to Spain and I do not like it, but it is happening."The 47-year-old also called for changes to the way TV revenues are distributed among Spanish clubs, giving the example of other leagues in Europe.

"The Spanish league is the only one in which TV rights are negotiated individually and at some point in the next four or five years, we will have to be on the same page and make a similar distribution to Serie A or the Premier League," Rosell added.