• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

KBW's kiss of death

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
<<Hospital outlets could lead way on shape up or ship out idea, says Health Minister
By Judith Tan & Nicholas Yong

Mr Khaw believes that people here have become complacent, and said that hygiene levels have slumped to almost a failing grade. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND WEE

IT IS shape up or ship out for food outlets which do not have excellent hygiene standards - starting with those at public hospitals.
Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan said yesterday that hospital stallholders which do not get the top 'A' or 'B' ratings may be told to close shop.

Hawkers' report card
THE hawker hygiene grading system, which was started in 1997, acts as a report card. It assesses food hawkers based on cleanliness, housekeeping and food and personal hygiene.

Grades from 'A' for superior hygiene practices to 'D' for below-average cleanliness should be displayed prominently at each stall.
... more
'If they want to renew the tender or take part in it, then they must deliver this minimum standard of hygiene,' he said.

His tough stance comes in the wake of Singapore's worst food poisoning outbreak. In Geylang Serai this month, contaminated Indian rojak struck down 154 people, killing two.

Mr Khaw believes that people here have become complacent, and said that hygiene levels have slumped to almost a failing grade.

Speaking yesterday at the launch of a cycling track linking Sembawang and Woodlands, he built on his suggestion for public hospitals to lead the charge in raising hygiene standards.

'Our food handlers are by and large 'A', minimum 'B'. There were only a handful who are 'C'. So, of course, a lot of pressure would be on them to improve,' he said.

His benchmark: Japan, where food stalls are so clean that Mr Khaw said he is 'prepared to pay a little bit more for that security'.

The private sector has already shown it is possible. At the Kopitiam chain, which has five of its 57 foodcourts located at hospitals, it is compulsory to get an 'A' grade.

Managing director Alden Tan said that his secret of success was a separate hygiene department to check on the stalls and giving stallholders pep talks.

Read the full story in Monday's edition of The Straits Times. >>

A few days after he said this, Japan has about 100 cases of H1N1..:biggrin:

this guy really sabo Japan.. whatever he says, opposite will be true..:eek:

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the first place grading food stalls A,B and C is nonsense, they should just have PASS or FAIL.

To me, Grading a stall B is just saying not that clean but won't kill you. C shouldn't even exist.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, it does not recognise those that have high hygiene standards. And politically it will be a disaster if you fail those in C and D grade. So that leaves all those with C & D as pass and we would be none the wiser.

In the first place grading food stalls A,B and C is nonsense, they should just have PASS or FAIL.

To me, Grading a stall B is just saying not that clean but won't kill you. C shouldn't even exist.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, it does not recognise those that have high hygiene standards. And politically it will be a disaster if you fail those in C and D grade. So that leaves all those with C & D as pass and we would be none the wiser.

Guess you're right. In the end, it's business as usual and throwing caution to the wind in terms of public health.

They have this grading system in place for years, and its there to ensure hawkers hygiene standard is in check all the time, now he say people become complacent, so who is in the fault? No one checking on the grading?

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
This screwed up guy always has his way to swear at people when things are wrong. And when things turn good, I bet my last dollar he like the rest of the white scum will come claim credit.

When Mas Selemat escaped, old fark Lee blame the people for complacant. (What has it got to do with the people, when the people is not guard the centre?) And when Mas Selemat was caught, blah blah blah all the praises on themselves. :oIo:

alvin36

Alfrescian
Loyal

wat is the point of grading the stalls where by the stall helpers need not go through compulsory health checks ?

i believe anyone can be a helper, right ?
the helper who handle food, need not go through health screening.... this is something i more worried about .... :(

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
the helper who handle food, need not go through health screening.... this is something i more worried about .... :(

You see, in the whole setup, the white scum are alway NOT in the line for taking blame. The Chinese says, reward and Punish must be clear. But scum will only take reward not punishment.

Like that even my dog can be minister too...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a lot to be desired in the manner this is administered. There should at least be a long term plan to achieve at least a B grade. Hawker Centre also need to carry an overall grading so that there is peer pressure and self help within their group.

And annual screening must be conducted as suggested. After the Prima incident where the PRC chap was found to be infected, things should have moved rapidly. Yaacob need to be shot.

wat is the point of grading the stalls where by the stall helpers need not go through compulsory health checks ?