• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Japan had 1st Aircraft Carrier in 1921. China is refitting a Russian one due 2014

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Good read. China will not be able to confront the US Navy in the middle of Pacific for the next 25 years.

However, it maybe able to confront them within 1000 to 2000 miles of Chinese coastal waters. At that distance, super quiet diesel sub (short range), missiles, dedicated satellites will be able to detect and maybe even sink a carrier. Once that threat is there, US Navy will not want to risk their carriers coming into taiwan Straits

Chinese carriers - agreed - great for humanitarian missions, operations to protect Chinese foreign installations, etc. But with the Chinese never forget the business side - make and sell carriers!!!

Think about this - Chinese ski jump type carrier 40K tons - conventional powered could be had for $500M + whole flight wing of Chinese fighters and helicopters - $500M. US$1B for a fully equiped carrier. Many countries would be interested. If price is right, they could sell 5 of these a year.

Right now only US and Russia makes carriers. Forget about US because of price. Russia may not have the quality/price advantage. While a carrier is a lot more sophisticated than most ships, the Chinese have been building lots of high quality LNG tanker ships so the best practices are there.

I think it will be generations before the PLA Navy can confront the USN anywhere, even if there was a desire to do so. These 2 countries are now totally co dependent on each other.

I would say currently, there are only 4 nations with the ability to build carriers. The US, Russia, France and UK. ONly one has the money to do it. No one will buy a Chinese carrier, unproven as they are. Building carriers is totally different from building LNG tankers. Building the floating structures and the powerplant is the easy part. They must also be able to install the electronics suites, proper aircraft launch and recovery systems, fire supression systems, and all the blackbox gadgets and whizzbang kits. Than they have to navalize their aircraft. Than they need at least 10 years experience in operating their own carriers and aircraft so that they can train potential buyers, etc. Very difficult. No country would risk all this time and effort on a product that may or may not work no matter how cheap. If I were a country that needed a new carrier, I would go to the French and British shipyards, and have them bid among themselves to give me the best price. Other wise, I would have a British shipyard draw up the specs, have a Korean shipyard build the superstructure cheap, than sail it to the UK for it to be outfitted with electronics, and aircraft.

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it will be generations before the PLA Navy can confront the USN anywhere, even if there was a desire to do so. These 2 countries are now totally co dependent on each other.

You fucking retard.
US depends on china to produce all the junks they need. This can be done by any other countries. US don't want to fuck china up because they are not done with middle east. U think they want any kind of friendship with the commies?