• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Buddhism a religion ?

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scientific Materialism is as much a religion as any other.

Our current understanding of Quantum Mechanics says there is no support for the idea of a single-version, objective physical reality. Dualism, with consciousness being separate from materiality, cannot as yet be discounted.

what talking you, you are going out of point! or are you cut and paste from somewhere?

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons

im talking about buddhist beliefs and practices. eg, the four noble truths, the noble eightfold paths etc. Fits the above defination perfectly.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Besides race, religion seperates people :wink:

Depend how u interprete it.

U look in the mirror. U raise ur right hand. But i say its ur left hand.

When i go to the mosque, i see different races and nationalities....all equal...irregardless of status or colours...all worshipping as one. Dah.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what talking you, you are going out of point!

Don't act blur.

Or you have never studied Quantum Mechanics? LOL!

And so your religion is Scientific Materialism, am I right? LOL again.

Unfortunately, your beliefs are not supported by our current understanding of Quantum Mechanics.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are tons of things that separate people on this planet. LOL!

In my opinion, wealth is the greatest of them all. We are even separated by a simple meal. LOL! What a strange world.

Those are things we can see. How abt things we cant see...but exist right under ur nose. Even so at times how i see things may not be the same as how others see it. Some may say ur mind playing tricks on u. But when i pinch myself, i felt the pain. So i am not dreaming or hallucinating. We got 5...or even 6 senses. So dont underestimate the power of one senses..

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, it is a religion. If asked to fill in forms and indicate what religion you have to state Buddhism if you are a Buddhist.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't act blur.

Or you have never studied Quantum Mechanics? LOL!

And so your religion is Scientific Materialism, am I right? LOL again.

Unfortunately, your beliefs are not supported by our current understanding of Quantum Mechanics.

you got study before meh?
you got a degree?

i see what you type i also know you bullshitting. u have zero formal training in it.

Last edited:

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Those are things we can see. How abt things we cant see...but exist right under ur nose. Even so at times how i see things may not be the same as how others see it. Some may say ur mind playing tricks on u. But when i pinch myself, i felt the pain. So i am not dreaming or hallucinating. We got 5...or even 6 senses. So dont underestimate the power of one senses..

For your information , If you are on magic mushroom or LSD , you can see alot of things , hear alot of things but when you pinch yourself you can also feel the pain ..

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Depend how u interprete it.

U look in the mirror. U raise ur right hand. But i say its ur left hand.

When i go to the mosque, i see different races and nationalities....all equal...irregardless of status or colours...all worshipping as one. Dah.

You are taking about those who shared the same religion as you , what about those who did not shared the same religion as you ? :wink:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are taking about those who shared the same religion as you , what about those who did not shared the same religion as you ? :wink:

Ahh. Tats where one have to ponder and compare religion is no nonsense religion. No cherry picking. Everyone is equal in the eye of Allah. U go to mosque, whether ur the President or PM, no such thing as reserved "seat" for u.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For your information , If you are on magic mushroom or LSD , you can see alot of things , hear alot of things but when you pinch yourself you can also feel the pain ..

My friend. When u r on "drugs", u can consider it as hallucination lah. U may feel the pain when pinched. But u cant think or walk straight.

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ahh. Tats where one have to ponder and compare religion is no nonsense religion. No cherry picking. Everyone is equal in the eye of Allah. U go to mosque, whether ur the President or PM, no such thing as reserved "seat" for u.

So you mean there's no Muslim terrorist in this world. If everyone is equal in the eye of Allah then why Muslim beheaded other religion people ?

D

Deleted member 18975

There's just as much wrong with Buddhism as every other bullshit religion.
People act like Buddhism doesn't cause violence and is just a way of life, but it is a religion, plain and simple, and people do kill in the name of buddhism.

Anybody who says Buddhism is okay and Christianity is evil is a hypocrite. Buddhism is a religion indigenous to the Indian subcontinent that encompasses a variety of traditions, beliefs and practices largely based on teachings attributed to Siddhartha Gautama, who is commonly known as the Buddha .

It is a religion because it involves the elements of belief, faith and self- transformation, which do belong to some philosophies as such but which I believe are more characteristic features of religions. In all religions I would argue that faith and belief are paramount and also the self-transforming aspect. People turn to religion very largely because they want to "improve their life ", "their self " or their moral conduct or to take greater comfort in life. This is why religion is termed the 'opium of the masses' it is a 'bolster' which protects ppl from the bad times. At the very least, it offers that to ppl in the form of 'understanding which gives "comfort'. In this sense a religion is a set of beliefs which we take "comfort" from but which cannot be conclusively proved objectively as true or false.

excuse: "It's more a way of life than a religion". You can say that for any religion. I don't understand why people makes a difference between the cult and the moral of Buddhism and not with other religions. A moral, a good way of life have nothing to do with religion, and it's the purpose of this post . It's hypocrisy, nothing else. Buddhism has it's deities and dogmas, so it's a religion, it appears less armful to us surely because we are unaware of it's excesses. When you train monks to martial arts, you prepare yourself to use violence in some situation :wink: .

Bottom line is to not base your understanding of Buddhism on
some article, book, etc. that has some romanticized idea
of Buddhism just like other religions . Take a look at the actual doctrines and look
at the research done about gender discrimination, atrocities, wars,
etc.

PS : "All life is suffering, and we should want to escape the cycle of rebirth so we don't have to live in this world anymore" WTF !!

Buddha like all other sages instructs that we must get rid of all our faults so that we can attain enlightenment. In his teachings are how to make perfect our character.

Last edited by a moderator:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So you mean there's no Muslim terrorist in this world. If everyone is equal in the eye of Allah then why Muslim beheaded other religion people ?

I always maintain that human r not perfect. Muslims no exception. So juz cos some Muslims committed terrorist acts, u put the blame solely on Islam? Oredi stated numerous times in the Quran tat killing is a sin..except for self defence.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buddhism started off as a philosophy but has since become a religion. How not to when it possesses all the attributes of a religion as defined by all major dictionaries.

I don't agree that it started as a philosophy. In my view it is a religious view, a kind of "reformed" view of the Hindu religion of which the Buddha was familiar with. He rejected much of the Hindu religion or belief system. There is belief in the afterlife and spiritual realm.