• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Interesting People You Met During National Service

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As an officer (although long past the age for reserve liability), I do not advocate violence or rebellion against another fellow officer, but with respect, such conduct does not encourage unity and mutual respect.

With no unity under the command of such person, the battle is lost without a fight. His early departure will only do good to the soldiers. :wink:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
During my time in BMTC, the camp commandant was major Adam. He would go on to become the NDP parade commander. Heard he gave the wrong command during the parade.

Adam Hamzah.....Malay somemore gave command to symbolic shooting our own planes.
Super malu.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah. When I was there in early 90s, he is still holding ltc rank. He really super yaya guy. I saw him again in safti while I was a trainee. I greeted him and he acted as though I am transparent. Never acknowledge and never even glanced at my direction. Wtf.

There was incident when LHL was BG....some camp visit....big entourage....one soldier gabra did not salute.....he punish on the spot by facing the wall but did not specific face how long....
SAF being what it is no one dared to tell soldier to stand down or any follow up punishment....left him stabding there without decision....after entire day till nightime finally a lao jiao encik made the decision and gave the order.

bullfrog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pretty lame punishment I say, ya? typical under Pinky's watch ya?

During my days, we'll get charged for insubordination and given 24 days GD or worse, thrown into DB.

There was incident when LHL was BG....some camp visit....big entourage....one soldier gabra did not salute.....he punish on the spot by facing the wall but did not specific face how long....
SAF being what it is no one dared to tell soldier to stand down or any follow up punishment....left him stabding there without decision....after entire day till nightime finally a lao jiao encik made the decision and gave the order.

Last edited:

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
It happened that I was a recruit in Kilo Coy, SAFTI, then SISL at SAFTI, then to a battalion, then to OCS.
The then OC of Kilo Coy was a CPT.

I believe you are right although there was no records except from those who were under his command. You did not mentioned the name of the OC who was Captain or his 2IC. Also did not provide any information of the Company (Delta or Echo), nor the training instructors. That would help to collaborate what I wrote.

Which batch of OCS were you under?

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe you are right although there was no records except from those who were under his command. You did not mentioned the name of the OC who was Captain or his 2IC. Also did not provide any information of the Company (Delta or Echo), nor the training instructors. That would help to collaborate what I wrote.

I think bro Charlie ever mentioned he was first batch...
1 SMC he would have enlisted dec 1974.....orang lama

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I went to SAFTI as a recruit (Kilo Company), where the OCS were in A, B, C, D, E, F companies (D, E, F were at the corners of the parade square), then SISL at SAFTI, then to an infantry battalion, and to senior term, 4 SMC.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think bro Charlie ever mentioned he was first batch...
1 SMC he would have enlisted dec 1974.....orang lama

orang tua (old in terms of age)
lama (old as in new or old)
I did not take Malay as a second language, but interacted often with Malays near a kampung when i was very young.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I went to SAFTI as a recruit (Kilo Company), where the OCS were in A, B, C, D, E, F companies (D, E, F were at the corners of the parade square), then SISL at SAFTI, then to an infantry battalion, and to senior term, 4 SMC.
back then it was either tekong or Safti right? Tekong means NCO and Safti is OCS.

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
I did not take Malay as a second language, but interacted often with Malays near a kampung when i was very young.

After Kilo most went to Delta Company. Those in Juliet are all regulars.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i was not trying to imply you are old..........but rather a man of experience :smile:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
During my time in BMTC, the camp commandant was major Adam. He would go on to become the NDP parade commander. Heard he gave the wrong command during the parade.

Yes it was Maj Adam.. Think it happened in 1999 or 2000.. If not mistaken it was also Prata Man first as a President attending the NDP.. Kind of feel sorry for Maj Adam coz he's actually a nice guy..

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
back then it was either tekong or Safti right? Tekong means NCO and Safti is OCS.

May be, not necessary true.
At that time, I believe there were many of us, as recruits at SAFTI, Kilo and Mike Companies, but eventually, not that many from SISL (there were others from BMT who joined us) went to senior term 4SMC.
At that time, I was disappointed that many of my schoolmates went to 3SMC, but I was a recruit at SAFTI.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After Kilo most went to Delta Company. Those in Juliet are all regulars.
No one went to Delta Company because Delta Company was for those Chinese educated, 3 SMC.
I cannot recall Juliet, but one schoolmate who went to 1 SMC, was a 2LT and an instructor at Juliet.
He came to Kilo Company to visit me. Good friend, and did not pull rank.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i was not trying to imply you are old..........but rather a man of experience :smile:
Not offended.
Simply to correct your Malay.
Later, I went on to be the best candidate at SATO (School of Advanced Training for Officers), at one of the advanced courses for reservist armour and infantry officers.

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
No one went to Delta Company because Delta Company was for those Chinese educated, 3 SMC.
I cannot recall Juliet, but one schoolmate who went to 1 SMC, was a 2LT and an instructor at Juliet.
He came to Kilo Company to visit me. Good friend, and did not pull rank.

My uncle was in Juliet and he was a regular. They started BMT at the same time as the first SAFTI NS intake.