• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

If your forefathers migrated to SG when it was a colony...

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard it from the horse's mouth who is also du lan his countrymen fake talent:

Rich Burmese kids (probably spawns of Burmese generals) pay money to get fake degree in Burma.

Then apply to NUS using fake Burmese degree for Master programmes. These Masters program based on Project to pass. So rich Burmese kids pay people to do the projects and pass the Master course.

Because these Burmese fakes don't know a thing, they ask for $2500 only when applying job in SG. So stupid Sinkee employers thot "wah, foreign talent NUS Master degree asking for $2500 only."

Hope these motherfuckers fuck up these employers faster that they can say "motherfucker".

Not only that, all the 3rd world countries, from India to Burma to China to Pinoy to Indo, these fakes pay money to get their qualifications like MCSE, CCNA etc. Even driver licences are fake.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will just have to focus in general on what you have said.

Firstly, you said that immigration policies need to be based on the economy and you said that you are no economist, yet you tried to spew as much BS as you can. The economy, in particular the labour market segment which we are talking about here, is not just determined by employment figures. Any self-respecting economist would take a deeper look at what the figures are composed of and take them into consideration with other factors like whether the real income level is rising or falling. High unemployment is just one aspect of a screwed-up economy. You can screw up an economy as well if real wages are falling drastically even though there may be full employment, as what happens when there is hyper-inflation.

If I was an economist I would be dealing it in dollars and cents. I'm discussing this base on common sense

Simple math, 3 - 1 = 2

The numbers are as follows
Singapore Total population: 4.9m
Singapore Resident Population: 3.7m
We have 1.2m pple on work permit here

4.9m - 3.7m = 1.2m

Singapore Unemployment rate 3.2%

Assuming the unemployment are all locals, unemployment numbers is 3.2% * 3.7m = 118,400

Even if we have 0% unemployment rate, we are still short of 1.08m workers in SG!!!!
1.2m - 118,400 = 1,081,600

Care to explain how U intend to make up for the shortfall after we chase out all the FTs

I have never said anything about depressing wages. You were the first one to bring this up.

It was a passing comment referring to the state of my pay to SIFU then anything else. U were implying that I wanted wages to be depressed which is why we should import more FTs.
According to your logic, we need to import more foreigners to depress his pay further since there is no unemployment.
I never put it across that way

I was pointing out that low unemployment does not mean that people's lives are improving or at least maintained at the same standard. And it certainly doesn't mean that there is a lack of workers. It may just mean that people are resigned to lowering their expectations and accepting lower salaries. This is an especially crucial consideration since SG is not exactly your generous welfare state.

Are we really worse off then we are then 10 yrs ago?

Median Household income
1999 - 3800
2008 - 5480

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/pubn/papers/people/op-s15.pdf

At the same time, mobile and broadband levels have gone up and the demand for larger apartments have also gone up, meaning the general quality of life, as far as material assets are concern, is actually on the rise. The problem for depressed wages doesn't so much affect the majority, its the poorest who suffers. I agree, something needs to be done, but the situation is nowhere near as bad as U put it

Why do we need to compare infrastructure issues with other cities? What matters is what the citizens feel with regards to their comfort. If they feel it is inadequate, it is inadequate, period. No need to tell them to compare with elsewhere. It is the people of SG who vote the SG government in, not the people in other countries. So if they are unhappy, they certainly do not need to compare with other countries before questioning the government.

OK so lets not compare to another country. Lets look at basic infrastructure.

Power Supply: We usually have constant power supplied to our homes do not have frequent blackouts so power grid is sufficient

Water Supply: Same as above, although told to save water, we are nowhere near the point where we actually need to ration water

Mobile/Phone/broadband Services: The country is more then 99% mobile accessible and except for high mobile traffic taking place at the same time(e.g. everyone in the country sending New Year greeting to each other at the same place at the same time which no country in the world can avoid) we do not usually have any problems

Transportation: Yes Buses and MRTs are more crowd then they used to be, but U can generally still get from point A to B without any issues. We have slow traffic during peak hours but 99% of the time cars still move only at a slower pace.

In that sense the local infrastructure is more then adequate inspite of how U may feel.

Lastly, the pertinent question I am putting to you is how does your grandfather migrating to SG have any bearing on how we should draft our immigration policies? You are certainly very evasive, trying to hide the lack of an answer in your verbose reply.

Any sane Sinkie will tell you that he couldn't care less whatever your grandfather did in those days. Doesn't matter what is the topic we are discussing except maybe why you are so dense.

No and I never mention it does. I only used the example of Grandpa to state why we should treat new citizens like one of us. I have never said my Grandpa had any bearings on immigration issues, U must have misinterpreted my meaning. My surname isn't Lee BTW.

I brought up the example of Grandpa to defend the example of a new citizen in another thread and drawing similarities to when the conditions when he came here. I have never stated in any capacity that my grandfather have any bearings to immigration policies.

As I've pointed out to SIFU, not many of us, in fact the majority of us, the likely hood that our ancestors came to SG was after WWII to just before independence. I have to admit I was partially wrong after reading more into it last night. It should be after WWII and before the 80s. So whether U realize it or not, about 1/3 of our population came into SG, AFTER independence(I'm taking the figures between!!!

SG population 1965 - 1.8million
SG population 2000 - 3.2 million

Reason why I took 2000 is because its around that time that the immigration rules were liberalized and the population sky rocketed between 2000-2005

Bearing in mind that the population growth in SG came to a virtual standstill in the 70s, "thanks" to PAP's stop at 2 program, the population growth was almost 100% based on migration. So hating the "new citizens" is pretty stupid since 40-50% of the pple in post independent SG are basically "new citizens". It's even dumber to be condemning kids of new citizens WHO WERE ACTUALLY BORN HERE since probably close to 80-90% of our dads or the population are 2nd gen Singaporeans

I do not agree with the general view of New Citizens in here. I feel we should treat them like one of us. I have no issue whatsoever if U want to take it out on PRs(especially those who die die dun want to turn citizens) or Foreign workers. However I want to point out the fact that not liking them and not needing them are 2 different matters.

Last edited:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
(4.9m - 3.7m = 1.2m

Assuming the unemployment includes workers on work permits(I'm taking the higher number), unemployment numbers is 3.2% * 4.9m = 156,800

Even if we have 0% unemployment rate, we are still short of 1.08m workers in SG!!!!
1.2m - 156,800 = 1,043,200)

unemployed persons can have work permit:confused::confused:

wau lau ooi... sure or not:biggrin:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
(4.9m - 3.7m = 1.2m

Assuming the unemployment includes workers on work permits(I'm taking the higher number), unemployment numbers is 3.2% * 4.9m = 156,800

1.2m - 156,800 = 1,043,200)

unemployed persons can have work permit:confused::confused:

wau lau ooi... sure or not:biggrin:

I stated I took the higher number. Reason being if I take the higher number, there will be more unemployed pple so the figured ended up is only 1.04m

If I took the lower figure the end number will be 1.1m. So U think which one look nicer, the one where we only need to replace 1m FTs or the one that we need to replace 1.1m FTs

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
I stated I took the higher number. Reason being if I take the higher number, there will be more unemployed pple so the figured ended up is only 1.04m

If I took the lower figure the end number will be 1.1m. So U think which one look nicer, the one where we only need to replace 1m FTs or the one that we need to replace 1.1m FTs

your simple calculation is incorrect.. simply becos u have make the 1st wrong assumption... so ppl with work permitcannot be unemployed right?? they gotta be send back or transfer to another employer tio boh..

so it should be 1.2 million work permit holders all employed.. and 156k unemployed are all spore residents..

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
your simple calculation is incorrect.. simply becos u have make the 1st wrong assumption... so ppl with work permitcannot be unemployed right?? they gotta be send back or transfer to another employer tio boh..

so it should be 1.2 million work permit holders all employed.. and 156k unemployed are all spore residents..

OK loh. Numbers changed liao. Happy?

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
OK loh. Numbers changed liao. Happy?

how can i be happy with so many of our fellow spore citizens unemployed:confused:

how can i be happy when PAP is still calling the shots:confused:

i am eagerly waiting for the day old man up the lorry..:p

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how can i be happy with so many of our fellow spore citizens unemployed:confused:

how can i be happy when PAP is still calling the shots:confused:

i am eagerly waiting for the day old man up the lorry..:p

If it's any consolation, it's actually improved over the last 5 years

Year Unemployment rate Rank Percent Change Date of Information
2003 4.60 % 154 2002 est.
2004 4.80 % 151 4.35 % 2003 est.
2005 3.40 % 29 -29.17 % 2004 est.
2006 3.10 % 28 -8.82 % 2005 est.
2007 3.10 % 29 0.00 % 2006 est.
2008 2.10 % 18 -32.26 % 2007 est.
2009 2.20 % 23 4.76 % 2008 est.

http://www.indexmundi.com/singapore/unemployment_rate.html

I'm still waiting for Old Man to kick the bucket just so I can vote.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard it from the horse's mouth who is also du lan his countrymen fake talent:

Rich Burmese kids (probably spawns of Burmese generals) pay money to get fake degree in Burma.

Then apply to NUS using fake Burmese degree for Master programmes. These Masters program based on Project to pass. So rich Burmese kids pay people to do the projects and pass the Master course.

Because these Burmese fakes don't know a thing, they ask for $2500 only when applying job in SG. So stupid Sinkee employers thot "wah, foreign talent NUS Master degree asking for $2500 only."

Hope these motherfuckers fuck up these employers faster that they can say "motherfucker".

Not only that, all the 3rd world countries, from India to Burma to China to Pinoy to Indo, these fakes pay money to get their qualifications like MCSE, CCNA etc. Even driver licences are fake.

blame lousy HR depts and recruiters for not being to sieve tru the shits that apply for jobs.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
blame lousy HR depts and recruiters for not being to sieve tru the shits that apply for jobs.

if you apply job before in the past 2 year, you will notice that hr now check your past employer, present pay etc. Because now they know too many cb foreigner bluff their cv. but it is too little too late. Damage is done.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you apply job before in the past 2 year, you will notice that hr now check your past employer, present pay etc. Because now they know too many cb foreigner bluff their cv. but it is too little too late. Damage is done.

ok i stand corrected... haven't applied for anything in past 2 yrs.

y too late though?

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really have to hand it to you for your persistence in writing irrelevant stuff. Anyway, since I have some time on hand, I will just humour you.

If I was an economist I would be dealing it in dollars and cents. I'm discussing this base on common sense

Really, how remiss of me to make that assumption based on your long replies and love of using figures.

1.2m - 118,400 = 1,081,600

Let's assume that your figures are right. Have you ever considered that maybe Sinkieland created that many jobs because those jobs can never sustain a Sinkie properly. What I mean is that those jobs are created specifically for foreigners who can live on a lower level of pay. The economic boom is built on the back of cheap foreign labour rather than productivity increase. Is this desirable? One consequence is that entire industries are now staffed by foreigners and this malaise has spread to encompass more and more industries over the years. Once the foreigners control one industry, the entire country is at their mercy as we no longer have the requisite skills. If everything simply boils down to getting the cheapest labour, why should Sinkies bother to claim Sinkieland as their home country and fulfil their obligations. The only question is what is the percentage of Sinkies who view other issues as importantly as all-out economic growth. Balancing off with other issues does not mean we need to have negative or zero growth. Any politician who suggests otherwise is not worth his high salary.

Care to explain how U intend to make up for the shortfall after we chase out all the FTs

I have never said we should get rid of all foreigners immediately.

Median Household income
1999 - 3800
2008 - 5480

At the same time, mobile and broadband levels have gone up and the demand for larger apartments have also gone up, meaning the general quality of life, as far as material assets are concern, is actually on the rise. The problem for depressed wages doesn't so much affect the majority, its the poorest who suffers. I agree, something needs to be done, but the situation is nowhere near as bad as U put it

OK so lets not compare to another country. Lets look at basic infrastructure.

Power Supply: We usually have constant power supplied to our homes do not have frequent blackouts so power grid is sufficient

Water Supply: Same as above, although told to save water, we are nowhere near the point where we actually need to ration water

Mobile/Phone/broadband Services: The country is more then 99% mobile accessible and except for high mobile traffic taking place at the same time(e.g. everyone in the country sending New Year greeting to each other at the same place at the same time which no country in the world can avoid) we do not usually have any problems

Transportation: Yes Buses and MRTs are more crowd then they used to be, but U can generally still get from point A to B without any issues. We have slow traffic during peak hours but 99% of the time cars still move only at a slower pace.

In that sense the local infrastructure is more then adequate inspite of how U may feel.

What is the point of all bringing all these up when you no longer feel your country is your home? What is the point of having superb mobile and broadband coverage when 10% of your people are worrying about where they will get their next meal?

No and I never mention it does. I only used the example of Grandpa to state why we should treat new citizens like one of us. I have never said my Grandpa had any bearings on immigration issues, U must have misinterpreted my meaning. My surname isn't Lee BTW.

I brought up the example of Grandpa to defend the example of a new citizen in another thread and drawing similarities to when the conditions when he came here. I have never stated in any capacity that my grandfather have any bearings to immigration policies.

Wow, how presumptuous of me then. From the way you talked about your grandfather migrating here while we were discussing immigration issues, one would easily be mistaken.

I do not agree with the general view of New Citizens in here. I feel we should treat them like one of us. I have no issue whatsoever if U want to take it out on PRs(especially those who die die dun want to turn citizens) or Foreign workers. However I want to point out the fact that not liking them and not needing them are 2 different matters.

Who said anything about new citizens? I am only against new citizen couples where only one spouse converted to citizenship in order to get the benefits from both sides. However, I recognise that citizenship conversion is a very personal issue and it would be too harsh for SG to place demands on that.

As always in this friendly forum, you are entitled to your views and I have also spoken my mind. There is nothing you can do to dispel my opinion that you are just another PAPpy sympathiser trying to convince others with your "neutral" views. In case you are wondering, I am not so much pro-opposition as I am anti-PAP. But I am anti-PAP mainly because of one old man who thinks very highly of himself and would not accept that peasants can think for themselves.

Last edited:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let's assume that your figures are right. Have you ever considered that maybe Sinkieland created that many jobs because those jobs can never sustain a Sinkie properly. What I mean is that those jobs are created specifically for foreigners who can live on a lower level of pay. The economic boom is built on the back of cheap foreign labour rather than productivity increase. Is this desirable? One consequence is that entire industries are now staffed by cheaper foreigners and this malaise has spread to encompass more and more industries over the years. If everything simply boils down to getting the cheapest labour, why should Sinkies bother to claim Sinkieland as their home country and fulfil their obligations. The only question is what is the percentage of Sinkies who view other issues as importantly as all-out economic growth. Balancing off with other issues does not mean we need to have negative or zero growth. Any politician who suggests otherwise is not worth his high salary.

No need to assume anything I'm using official figures from singstat. Up to U to believe that figure or not

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/

And what isn't balanced?

According to your theory,
Let's assume that your figures are right. Have you ever considered that maybe Sinkieland created that many jobs because those jobs can never sustain a Sinkie properly. What I mean is that those jobs are created specifically for foreigners who can live on a lower level of pay.

However, as I've pointed out earlier
Are we really worse off then we are then 10 yrs ago?

Median Household income
1999 - 3800
2008 - 5480

So unless U are implying that creating jobs with higher pay levels which enables locals to buy more stuff is a bad thing, then your own statement that only low level jobs which pay scales are only attractive to foreigners isn't true.

I have never said we should get rid of all foreigners immediately.

Fair enough, I apologize if I made it sound that way

What is the point of all bringing all these up when you no longer feel your country is your home? What is the point of having superb mobile and broadband coverage when 10% of your people are worrying about where they will get their next meal?

There will always be the poorest nth% of pple in every country in the world who have problems like worrying about their next meals. Even in countries with social security protection there are pple who have to worry about a roof over their heads and the next meal. Like I said we need to work towards helping these pple but its something that cannot be totally eliminated

Wow, how presumptuous of me then. From the way you talked about your grandfather migrating here while we were discussing immigration issues, one would easily be mistaken.

Please note that this was what I said here

This was what I said in the previous thread

I think the article is pathetic and a desperate dig at the government. My Grandfather was a low skilled FT when he came here, he taught himself to read and write after he got here and then got a decent job of being a clerk. My dad was born here and was the first few batches of NS men. I'm born here and also gone through NS. Should I look down on my Grandfather as a lowly educated FT or my Father as a child of an FT. I don't think so.

I don't have a problem with PRs who turn citizen and decided to stay here, my family was here because of that and I'm very certain most of you too. I think we should stop condemning someone just because they plan to migrate. How is someone from SG migrating to Australia any different from them. Australia is almost just as FT friendly as SG.

Personally i think we should not condemn anyone who is willing to contribute to the country. However I have serious issues with pple who turn PR and refuses to turn citizen. Those are the ones who have no intention to contribute to the country
http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?t=46511

How in the world of F any different from what I've been saying here and in the other thread

Who said anything about new citizens? I am only against new citizen couples where only one spouse converted to citizenship in order to get the benefits from both sides. However, I recognise that citizenship conversion is a very personal issue and it would be too harsh for SG to place demands on that.

It would help a damn lot if you have said this from the freaking beginning, then again, what is it any different from locals who marries foreigners? My point is simple. A citizen is a citizen, once he turns citizen, we see him as one of us. If its PR, even if he stays here for the next 100 years, he is still a freaking foreigner

As always in this friendly forum, you are entitled to your views and I have also spoken my mind. There is nothing you can do to dispel my opinion that you are just another PAPpy sympathiser trying to convince others with your "neutral" views. In case you are wondering, I am not so much pro-opposition as I am anti-PAP. But I am anti-PAP mainly because of one old man who thinks very highly of himself and would not accept that peasants can think for themselves.

I don't really care anyone thinks I am a PAP sympathizer as long as they do not accuse me of being one. I can't stop anyone from thinking that way but I prefer to let the things I post speak for itself. Just because I think something is right and I defend it doesn't make me support everything that someone does. If you think I post too much pro government stuff, fine with me. And frankly I couldn't care less if U were anti-PAP, Pro-PAP or Pro-opposition. All I care about is the discussion of the topic in question

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal
So unless U are implying that creating jobs with higher pay levels which enables locals to buy more stuff is a bad thing, then your own statement that only low level jobs which pay scales are only attractive to foreigners isn't true.

Please take into consideration other factors like costs of living especially housing, quality of life, etc. Absolute increases in pay mean nothing. Hopefully, you are intelligent enough to understand the last statement.

There will always be the poorest nth% of pple in every country in the world who have problems like worrying about their next meals. Even in countries with social security protection there are pple who have to worry about a roof over their heads and the next meal. Like I said we need to work towards helping these pple but its something that cannot be totally eliminated

Never said there won't be, just asking what is the use of good infrastructure if majority of people never get to use them. SG is not known as a playground for the rich for nothing.

It would help a damn lot if you have said this from the freaking beginning, then again, what is it any different from locals who marries foreigners? My point is simple. A citizen is a citizen, once he turns citizen, we see him as one of us. If its PR, even if he stays here for the next 100 years, he is still a freaking foreigner

A local marrying a foreigner is slightly different unless he married a foreigner with a view of getting the benefits of the other citizenship. As I have said, citizenship conversion cannot be forced on people.

I think the article is pathetic and a desperate dig at the government. My Grandfather was a low skilled FT when he came here, he taught himself to read and write after he got here and then got a decent job of being a clerk. My dad was born here and was the first few batches of NS men. I'm born here and also gone through NS. Should I look down on my Grandfather as a lowly educated FT or my Father as a child of an FT. I don't think so.
You brought your grandfather's story into the discussion, surely one would surmise he is providing some kind of support for your argument. I don't think normal people will start bringing in their relatives into serious discussion for frivolous reasons.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please take into consideration other factors like costs of living especially housing, quality of life, etc. Absolute increases in pay mean nothing. Hopefully, you are intelligent enough to understand the last statement.

Think I'm a bit slow. don't understand. Coz according to CPI index vs Household income, we seem to be better off then 10 years ago

CPI index from 1999 - 2008
Year CPI Annual Inflation Rate
1999 96.0 0.0
2000 97.2 1.3
2001 98.2 1.0
2002 97.8 -0.4
2003 98.3 0.5
2004 100.0 1.7
2005 100.4 0.5
2006 101.4 1.0
2007 103.5 2.1
2008 110.3 6.5

Median Household income
1999 - 3800
2008 - 5480

Never said there won't be, just asking what is the use of good infrastructure if majority of people never get to use them. SG is not known as a playground for the rich for nothing.

Actually the rich benefit less from the good infrastructure then the poor in SG. SG is a playground for the rich coz of low taxes(which applies to everyone), not really infrastructure. I seriously don't think rich pple would be taking public transport, having problems paying for broadband network or finding another place to shop in most major cities in the world

A local marrying a foreigner is slightly different unless he married a foreigner with a view of getting the benefits of the other citizenship. As I have said, citizenship conversion cannot be forced on people.

I don't see the difference between the 2 but whatever, I don't think this is worth arguing over

You brought your grandfather's story into the discussion, surely one would surmise he is providing some kind of support for your argument. I don't think normal people will start bringing in their relatives into serious discussion for frivolous reasons.

I'll repeat this myself again(hopefully for the last time), I brought the grandfather story to draw similarities to the New Citizen in the first thread and explain again why I brought him in in this one. It is for the sole purpose of defending the case of the new citizen

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, save yrself from being crushed by the numbers!

Just tell yrself - shit --

You, the govt, can have all the economic reasons to bring in these "tired, poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of our teeming shore...the homeless, tempest-tossed " we don't care shit about, cos it's something you overpaid fatcat Ministers in govt should take care of, and not us.

If the population has declined, you the govt have created the shit when you stopped us at two. So now you smart guys solve it.

Our economy tanked under yr very expensive watch, and we pay for it with our job loss. Where were you when you were expected to look out for us? Where is the external wing of our economy? Where is the knowledge economy jobs you promised but failed to deliver?

worse still, you lost our billions in the stock market. Yet you did not lift a finger tohelp the poor, the homeless, the needy?

You bring in thousands and thousands of trash from overseas. They mess up my places, cause a din with their babel, steal my flat and job, lower my pay, cramp my style, dirty my parks, crowd my roads, trains, and buses, kill my children on the footpaths with their bicycles, fight with me for kindergartens and schools etc. trapping us in a low wage spiral.

And your Old man accused us of not having enough spurs stuck in our butts. How come he is the chief forecaster and he didnt do his job to prevent it?

Where is the golden age?

Think I'm a bit slow. don't understand. Coz according to CPI index vs Household income, we seem to be better off then 10 years ago

CPI index from 1999 - 2008
Year CPI Annual Inflation Rate
1999 96.0 0.0
2000 97.2 1.3
2001 98.2 1.0
2002 97.8 -0.4
2003 98.3 0.5
2004 100.0 1.7
2005 100.4 0.5
2006 101.4 1.0
2007 103.5 2.1
2008 110.3 6.5

Median Household income
1999 - 3800
2008 - 5480

Actually the rich benefit less from the good infrastructure then the poor in SG. SG is a playground for the rich coz of low taxes(which applies to everyone), not really infrastructure. I seriously don't think rich pple would be taking public transport, having problems paying for broadband network or finding another place to shop in most major cities in the world

I don't see the difference between the 2 but whatever, I don't think this is worth arguing over

I'll repeat this myself again(hopefully for the last time), I brought the grandfather story to draw similarities to the New Citizen in the first thread and explain again why I brought him in in this one. It is for the sole purpose of defending the case of the new citizen