• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I am planning to migrate, thinking of Australia.

moveoutofsg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where should i start first?

I was thinking to go there as a mature student to study in a university, then i get a PR from there. Do you think that is a good idea?

I am not keen on getting a job and i am more of a freelance person. If i cannot study there, then i just settle for a common job like working in mcd or in farms. ( having this thoughts)

I am learning to be a programmer now.

any suggestions?

depeche

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, just come over first as a tourist to see if you like the country. Also, there's different states to consider. You need a deep pocket for a start to do the look see look see! All the best!

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
over 30 years theres less points....nursing , medicine, engineering and accounting are in demand courses that offer more points...accounting may change..lots of students from over the world studying that esp 1.3 billion China & 1.2 billion Indian people....not to mention over 40million Korea and Vietnam and etc.....

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I was thinking to go there as a mature student to study in a university, then i get a PR from there. Do you think that is a good idea?

I am not keen on getting a job and i am more of a freelance person. If i cannot study there, then i just settle for a common job like working in mcd or in farms. ( having this thoughts)

any suggestions?

Why study? getting a degree does not necessary land you a job. There has to be an objective in your studies. Also, there is a difference if you are an international student instead of a local student. eg. You will be paying full-fee and cannot take govt loan.
You will find local students (incl mature stu) usually study part time and working part/full time. This is really important because it will give you some local work experience and help you in finding a job. Working in McD will count in your verbal communication skills and customer interaction. You can seek other work options that will count towards your career objectives. (eg processing donations for charity - need police clearance)

Freelance web developer $32 - 50 per hour. $32 is university casual.
Working in farms is seasonal - eg fruit pickers.

If you are the freelance type, you just

Last edited:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why study? getting a degree does not necessary land you a job. There has to be an objective in your studies. Also, there is a difference if you are an international student instead of a local student. eg. You will be paying full-fee and cannot take govt loan.
You will find local students (incl mature stu) usually study part time and working part/full time. This is really important because it will give you some local work experience and help you in finding a job. Working in McD will count in your verbal communication skills and customer interaction. You can seek other work options that will count towards your career objectives. (eg processing donations for charity - need police clearance)

Freelance web developer $32 - 50 per hour. $32 is university casual.
Working in farms is seasonal - eg fruit pickers.

If you are the freelance type, you just

Totally Agree...local students usually have a better head start coz they started working earlier or work full time/part time & study part time....

overseas experience are usually not recognised unless u are working in american or australian MNCs and held some relevant post in the job u are seeking for in Aust

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
unless u r really passionate about computers, i think accounting is a better career in australia. they need a lot of accountants there. also, if u enjoy working with your hands, car mechanic, plumber, electrician are also very good trades down under -- some of them make more money than doctors and programmers. chefs are also in demand.

programming is not easy for a 'mature' student.

any suggestions?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with most here. With the minimum wages and the general high start salaries in the lower classification of jobs, make sense to get a job. Once you have an income, a decent place, you can then work out your options with peace of mind and that includes studies and traning. Typically Singapore are very welcomed because of their ability to speak and write English and have a 1st world perspective.

Point to note. Prepare a decent CV. Even cleaners need a CV.

Don't plan too much ahead. Aim straight for a job, any job. Idea is enjoy the lifestyle.

depeche

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do know that some who don't qualify for OZ PR do went to NZ and got the PR there. Later then they re-route to OZ, all the best!

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can you advise on the type of visa to apply for as a start, if the objective is to subsequently obtain PR?

Agree with most here. With the minimum wages and the general high start salaries in the lower classification of jobs, make sense to get a job. Once you have an income, a decent place, you can then work out your options with peace of mind and that includes studies and traning. Typically Singapore are very welcomed because of their ability to speak and write English and have a 1st world perspective.

Point to note. Prepare a decent CV. Even cleaners need a CV.

Don't plan too much ahead. Aim straight for a job, any job. Idea is enjoy the lifestyle.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can you advise on the type of visa to apply for as a start, if the objective is to subsequently obtain PR?

Bro, my advice to you is to plan for your PR 1st. Any course (ie hairdressing, cook, excavator etc) @ min period to qualify you a PR is worth trying. Uni route may not result in sweet ending, there are heaps of uni grads couldn't get into the same industry. Quite commonly it is the blue collar job that will bring you $$$ and happiness.

My labourer in Brisbane - 17y.o. just found a job (mining blasting) in WA for $130k ! sweet..

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, my advice to you is to plan for your PR 1st. Any course (ie hairdressing, cook, excavator etc) @ min period to qualify you a PR is worth trying. Uni route may not result in sweet ending, there are heaps of uni grads couldn't get into the same industry. Quite commonly it is the blue collar job that will bring you $$$ and happiness.

My labourer in Brisbane - 17y.o. just found a job (mining blasting) in WA for $130k ! sweet..

totally concur....hairdressing, cook are out of the list no in demand any more....IT is in demand at the moment, but with 1.2 billion kelings cheating their way....demand prob be removed soon...

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you all for the sincere advice. I hope to realise the move in one to two years time after personal matters and arrangments are done. Type of job doesnt matter as I don't have my nose up in the air lol. My friend who is in the education, also plan to move.

BTW, I was told buying a farm in oz in general is about sgd400K?

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thank you all for the sincere advice. I hope to realise the move in one to two years time after personal matters and arrangments are done. Type of job doesnt matter as I don't have my nose up in the air lol. My friend who is in the education, also plan to move.

Hi brother, we are on the same boat. Have drop you a PM to keep in touch and update each other if you do not mind :smile:

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal

a word of caution; 95% of the singaporeans are not accustomed to DIY or laborious work and it will work against you if u are not prepared to sweat it out.

education is in demand as well. one of my new batch of sg friend came here and teach in private tuition centres for $35/hr on adhoc basis until she found a permie teaching job in a private school.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, the uni route is not as easy as it used to be. A lot of PRCs here have to return home because they can't score enough for their IELTs. I'm not sure how difficult IELTs is but I hear that they are raising it to 8.0/9.0 soon. The PRC mei meis I know have to return disappointed that they never could get their PR.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Just beware of the downside of high salaries.
Too many cases of alcoholism, illicit drug usage, fast cars, etc and people who do not know how to handle sudden wealth.

Western Australia is now the Number 1 in drug addiction and soon, it will become the Bikie capital of Australia. Perhaps, it is lucky that we have a Liberal govt that is tough on crime and outlaws.

This state has transformed to a point when it can either turn bad or it can transform into a star capital city of Australia.

For those who long for the good old lazy days of the past - better go somewhere.
White collar jobs are in the eastern states.

I called in a plumber to fix a leaky tap. It cost $100 for the callout with 30 mins labour + $25 for the parts (a solenoid).
Looking back at my receipt, it is less than 24 months old, so I called Beri Distributors. The plumber came and replace the solenoid for free (under warranty). I asked for a service receipt in case I need warranty again.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
totally concur....hairdressing, cook are out of the list no in demand any more....IT is in demand at the moment, but with 1.2 billion kelings cheating their way....demand prob be removed soon...

These kelings giving us big headache.

Some have no dignity at all, literally begging us for jobs, esp the women. One of my managers recruited one of these guys and within a month, he quitted and went into higher paid job. The worse part is that he is snatched from a government job that he just joined.
He is in Perth only for 6 months, now bragging about stupidity of this Aussie manager!

That keling also messed up the database and stole company properties.
That manager is too kind to him, but now, he is wary of employing all Asians, including Singaporeans.

Another incident involve kelings - he asks some Indians to clean up his investment property after he evicts the last tenants, but they did a lousy job.
They used the wrong cleaner for the stainless steel oven and erased the wordings on the control panel. There is no control panel as spare parts and the oven has to be trashed.

Another cleaner (also Indian couple) who did not get the job also turned up and created trouble.

I think I still trust the Aussie of Eastern Europeans to take care of my property when I am away. They are not very smart but they are loyal and do a decent job.

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Thanks. I agree, its unlike living in hdb or condo. I have no problem with household diy, chores and cooking. I do my own pest control as well.:p I diy my car, until they introduced the ECM:o

2. I also adviced my friend to apply as a teacher. A relative of mine went Canada as a nurse, was smooth sailing until now.

a word of caution; 95% of the singaporeans are not accustomed to DIY or laborious work and it will work against you if u are not prepared to sweat it out.

education is in demand as well. one of my new batch of sg friend came here and teach in private tuition centres for $35/hr on adhoc basis until she found a permie teaching job in a private school.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1. Thanks. I agree, its unlike living in hdb or condo. I have no problem with household diy, chores and cooking. I do my own pest control as well.:p I diy my car, until they introduced the ECM:o

2. I also adviced my friend to apply as a teacher. A relative of mine went Canada as a nurse, was smooth sailing until now.

There are a full range of DIY support if you run into difficulties.
Eg There are hire shops around (eg http://www.kennards.com.au/) and handyman services (eg local papers classified ads) if you need extra pair of hands or some special equipment.

There are free DIY workshops in Bunnings.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/learn-how-to-diy.aspx

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Almost mistaken you for another forumer zeddy:( Btw, I will also try to contact old collegues and friends who migrated to Oz. They migrate to Oz but work overseas all over.

Thanks again for the tips, sure alot to learn for me; "A jounery to Oz":o

There are a full range of DIY support if you run into difficulties.
Eg There are hire shops around (eg http://www.kennards.com.au/) and handyman services (eg local papers classified ads) if you need extra pair of hands or some special equipment.

There are free DIY workshops in Bunnings.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/learn-how-to-diy.aspx