• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hougang By-election later news up date

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thousands of supporters stayed on to listen to the rally despite a heavy downpour.

527733_10150907628222867_524682866_9735640_1533261496_n.jpg

538280_10150907833662867_524682866_9736095_536723170_n.jpg

527711_10150907837917867_524682866_9736107_1112137038_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thousands of supporters stayed on to listen to the rally despite a heavy downpour.

522985_10150907853792867_524682866_9736150_430931489_n.jpg

A resident looks out of her window when Glenda Han spoke.

525898_10150907847952867_1345912233_n.jpg

556934_10150907858327867_524682866_9736163_472695244_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Workers' Party supporters leaving the Nomination Centre.

544258_10150890527897867_524682866_9691324_176850196_n.jpg

Workers' Party Low Thia Khiang greets his supporters, many which are familiar faces in his home ground.

541268_10150890543027867_524682866_9691444_1782149354_n.jpg

Workers' Party Png Eng Huat is flanked by party leaders Low Thia Khiang and Sylvia LIm as he makes his way to the Nomination Centre at Serangoon Junior College.

547756_10150890551992867_524682866_9691504_390520386_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]SG’s Explanation on the sidetracking issue of NCMP – 22 May 2012 Hougang By-election Rally[/h]
Dear voters of Hougang and supporters, good evening.
This Hougang By-election is full of surprises. Let me now explain the process of the NCMP selection of WP and put it in perspective.

Png Eng Huat’s statement to CNA during the interview said that he took his name “out of the ballot”. He was not referring to the ballot paper, but the “ballot” as in the voting process and running for the NCMP position.

I had anticipated that there could be differences of opinions about how NCMP seats should be filled. Hence, in Jan 2010, after Parliament passed the amendment to the Constitution to increase the number of NCMP seats from 3 to 9, the CEC passed a resolution to set up the process of NCMP selection via secret voting.

I had prepared the ballot paper for the extra-ordinary meeting.
Png Eng Huat had told me before and after the General Election that he was strongly against the NCMP scheme and did not want to be considered for the NCMP position, just as Eric Tan had told me of his desire to be an NCMP. However, I still listed the names of the whole East Coast GRC team because they were all part of the team.

Personal preferences had to be set aside; the selection of the NCMP lies solely with the CEC. Therefore, whether a candidate personally wanted to be an NCMP or not, the decision is not his. It would be the collective decision of the CEC. This is how I believe a collective leadership should function in a political party.

I confirm that the minutes circulating over the Internet and published by the paper is the minutes of the Workers’ Party on the selection of the NCMPs.
I do not want to speculate how the anonymous source obtained the minutes. However, this is obviously a calculated move, made at this point of time to intentionally damage the Workers’ Party and sabotage the Workers’ Party candidate in Hougang.

But this is a weak attempt at discrediting the Workers’ Party. In fact, I would invite all of you to take a look at the minutes. It shows that the Workers’ Party functions in a fair and transparent manner, where decisions are made collectively. In addition, it also dispels rumours that the CEC is made up of all yes-man and women, or even fully controlled by Low Thia Khiang!

In this case, the CEC was not unanimous in its decision. Png Eng Huat had previously stated his stand against the NCMP position to me and some other members of the CEC, but he still got 1 vote.

The majority voted for Gerald Giam. When the voting result was concluded, only Eric Tan decided to resign. The other CEC members stayed united and on course with the Workers’ Party.

This shows that the Workers’ Party, as a credible party, can embrace different opinions while working together as a team and moving forward.

I urge the voters in Hougang to focus on the by-election and not to be distracted by the issue.
I stand by what I said when I introduce Png Eng Huat to you last Saturday. Png Eng Huat is a man of integrity.

Low Thia Khiang
Secretary-General

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Png Eng Huat’s speech at second WP Election Rally for Hougang By-election[/h]
Residents of Hougang and my fellow Singaporeans, Good evening!

1. The Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister have finally landed in Hougang. Mr Desmond Choo was quoted to have said, “It shows that Hougang is important to PAP, and that PM himself pays special attention to Hougang.”

2. That is good because the people of Hougang want the PM to pay special attention to the way Hougang was shortchanged for the past 21 years.

3. Mr Desmond Choo has said that ‘the lack of covered linkways and drop-off points is a source of major inconvenience to Hougang residents.’ He added, “Try pushing a pram and carrying an umbrella at the same time. It is not easy.’

4. We know it is not easy. We also know it is never easy to work with the PAP government to implement some of these estate improvement projects because they need the support of the Grassroots Advisor.

5. You probably know how the Grassroots Advisor system works. Under normal circumstances, the elected MP will be appointed the grassroots advisor. However, for opposition wards, the losing PAP candidate is given that position.

6. The ruling party has designed such a complex system of governance that it will make their candidates look good even if they lose the election.

7. The losing PAP candidate will be appointed Grassroots Advisor by the People’s Association. He will get to look important and relevant. He will get to become a Guest-of-Honour at every grassroots event. And he will get to use the Community Club. He will also write letters on your behalf just like an MP.

8. So frankly speaking, the PAP candidate here does not need to be an MP. He will be made an important person in Hougang no matter what happens on 26 May.

9. So when you vote me as your MP, you will have a PAP Grassroots Advisor. This 2-MP system is not designed by us. It was accidentally designed by the PAP. And the strangest thing is the 2-MP system does not work the other way around because the People’s Association will not appoint our losing candidate as the Grassroots Advisor.

10. The PM said there are already 5 WP MPs for Aljunied GRC in Parliament, along with 3 Non-Constituency MPs and 9 Nominated MPs. He said, “Whether you have one extra in Hougang, or one less in Hougang, it doesn’t change the basic picture in Parliament.”

11. I agree. One more seat for PAP is just an increase of 1 per cent out of the 81 seats they have now. But one more seat for WP is an increase of 20 per cent out of the 5 seats we have now. So the 1 seat doesn’t really matter to them. Vote Workers’ Party!
12. When we had only Hougang, did the PAP ministers volunteer to cut their own pay? Before we won Aljunied, did the PAP
government say let’s build more flats for Singaporeans? When we had only Hougang, did the government say let’s slow down the intake of foreigners?

13. So do you think the PAP government will perform better with more seats in Parliament? Do you think the PAP government will perform better with less seats in Parliament? So come 26 May, let the Prime Minister know that the PAP can run the country better without the Hougang seat!

14. The Workers’ Party has been in Hougang for the past 21 years. We have served the community to the best of our ability despite the obstacles we faced. We have upgraded some lifts without asking the residents to pay until the HDB stopped us. We have built some covered walkways using our own funds and we will do more.

15. Let me share with you what we are going to do for Hougang going forward.

16. We have nominated 2 clusters comprising 54 blocks of flats for the Neighbourhood Renewal Programme. Under this programme, covered walkways, linkways, drop-off points, elderly fitness centres and more will be built.

17. We have nominated 3 clusters comprising 15 blocks of flats for the Home Improvement Programme. Under this programme, repair work will be carried out inside the house to rectify leaking problems, spalling concrete and more.

18. And by the middle of this year, we will call for a tender to do Repair and Redecoration and Reroofing work for 34 blocks of flats in Hougang. Under this tender, we will do repair and repainting work for the selected blocks. And most important of all, the reroofing will resolve the leaking problems faced by residents living on the highest floor.

19. We will also have more programmes planned for Hougang at the community level. I will continue to organize trips for our senior citizens and their family members. I will work with our youth to organize games and competitions. We can even compete against our brothers and sisters in Aljunied GRC.

20. This By-Election, the PAP says why not give them a chance to run Hougang now that the Workers’ Party has won Aljunied GRC.

21. I had the chance to see Hougang up close since 2006. I have seen old people struggling to climb up and down the stairs because Hougang was placed at the end of the queue for lift upgrading.

22. I have seen residents getting drenched in the rain because the Main Upgrading Programme never came to Hougang.

23. A lot of the issues raised in Hougang now are caused by the actions of the ruling party in the first place. So do you think they deserve a chance in Hougang?

24. They took the market down and now they say, “I know you need a market.” They denied Hougang the Main Upgrading Programme and now they say, “I know you need sheltered walkways and drop-off points.”

25. The only chance Hougang residents should give to the PAP is chance to get things right before the next election comes around.

26. And I urge all those who voted for the PAP the last time to think carefully what your support for the ruling party has brought you. You suffered along with us even though you know in your heart that these are national programmes and the ruling party should not play politics with it.

27. And I urge you, those who voted for the PAP the last time to stand united with us and send a clear message to the ruling party that political discrimination has no place in this inclusive society. And there is no better place and time to make that statement known than in Hougang on 26 May.

28. By voting for me, I do not have to convince you that I will be an independent voice in Parliament because the party I represent is already one.

29. By voting for me, I do not have to assure you that Hougang will remain as a single member constituency because opposition ward will always remain one.

30. The Prime Minister was quoted to have said that ‘real democracy’ is not about voting blindly. But ‘real democracy’ is also not about punishing voters for their political affiliation.

31. ‘Real democracy’ is also not about redrawing the electoral boundary at will. ‘Real democracy’ is about respecting people’s choice.

32. Come 26 May, give me your mandate so that we can work together, hand-in-hand, to make Hougang a special place to live in, to bring up our children, and to grow old with dignity and respect.

33. Residents of Hougang, I stand here tonight as a Workers’ Party candidate for this constituency. I stand here to ask you for a mandate to serve you and be your voice in Parliament.

34. My name is Png Eng Huat. Vote Workers’ Party. Towards a First World Parliament.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]22 May 2012 Hougang By-election Rally speech by Sylvia Lim[/h]
IMPROVING HOUGANG RESIDENTS’ LIVES.

各位后港选民, 各位同胞, 大家晚上好!
Dear Voters of Hougang, Fellow Singaporeans, Good Evening!
2 nights ago, at the PAP rally at Hougang Stadium, PAP MP Denise Phua says there is no need for Hougang voters to support WP. She says that PAP MPs can be more opposition than opposition. She praised herself as a good example of a PAP MP who “speaks her mind”. Well let me ask Denise one thing. If she receives an instruction from the PAP leaders to keep quiet, can she go against the instruction?

At the same rally, DPM Teo Chee Hean said that the WP should not just be “playing guitars and singing songs”. He must have heard that Png Eng Huat is a good guitarist! He and Denise must also be ignorant of what WP has done for Hougang. Let me highlight what WP has done for Hougang Town over the years. You will also see how the PAP and its agencies have blocked improvements to Hougang Town.

First, Lift Upgrading. As you all know, the PAP government announced many years ago that opposition wards would be placed at the end of the queue for the Lift Upgrading Programme. The PAP wanted Hougang residents to suffer, but WP did not want that. So in the year 2000, Hougang Town Council decided that we would use our own Town Council funds to upgrade lifts in 6 blocks. We obtained HDB approval to provide additional lift landings to lifts in Hougang Avenue 3 at blocks 1, 2, 3, 4, 24 and 25, without special funding from the government. This was completed in 2001, and the residents were not asked to pay a single cent. We later made an application to HDB to do lift upgrading also at Blocks 301 to 334 Hougang Avenue 5, using Town Council’s own funds. But the HDB said No!

Next, Estate Improvements Using CIPC Funds. The CIPC is the Community Improvement Projects Committee. According to the Ministry of National Development, “the CIPC provides funding support for community-improvement projects initiated by the Citizens’ Consultative Committees (CCCs) and supported by the advisers. The funds are disbursed through the CCCs, which will submit applications for project funding to the CIPC for approval.”
In order to tap on CIPC funding, we have to go through the People’s Association. Ok, we try. In 1995, Hougang Town Council applied to HDB for approval to install several car park directional signs. This would cost about $130,000. We also wrote in to the Hougang CCC for support for CIPC funding. At first, the Hougang CCC replied that it was “very keen” on the Town Council’s proposal and would be discussing it. The CCC must have agreed that it was good for residents. A few months later, HDB informed us that the CCC had made a similar application on its own and that the Town Council should co-ordinate to make a single application. The application was then stuck. At the 1997 GE, Mr Low was re-elected into Hougang. Then in August 1997, the Hougang CCC informed us that they would not be pursuing the project. The Town Council then used its own funds to proceed with it.

There are at least 5 other cases where the Hougang CCC did not support requests to tap CIPC funding to benefit Hougang residents:
1) In 1992, the CCC refused to support construction of covered walkway from bus-stop to nearest HDB block;
2) In 1993, the CCC refused to support improvement works to 39 blocks of flats/shops which included resident corners at Blks 302, 354, 704 and 710;
3) In 1994, the CCC refused to support tables and stools fronting Blk 322 Hougang Ave 5;
4) Again in 1994, we wanted to construct a footpath from Block 1 to the Hougang CC – the CCC did not even respond;
5) In 1995, the CCC refused to support construction of sitting corners at Blks 334, 317, 1 and 3.
These projects cost nearly $450,000. We went ahead to use Town Council’s funds for the benefit of residents. So, is the PAP really Always Here for You? Maybe they are Always Here to Jam You!
So has CIPC funding ever been used for Hougang residents? According to an MND letter of 14 November 2007, “Hougang CCC had applied for and received CIPC funding for RC notice board replacement works in
2004 and 2006”.

Despite these obstacles, the Hougang Town Council went ahead to use its own funds to erect 33 covered linkways from bus-stops to blocks, and between blocks. You can see these linkways at Hougang Ave 2, 3, 5 and 7, and at Hougang Central. This cost us about $1.5 million. We have also added playgrounds and 2 soccer courts, and the senior citizens’ fitness corner at Hougang neighbourhood park. Many of you may know of a footpath leading from Blks 363 to 334, which many residents use to go from their blocks to Upper Serangoon Road. This is on State Land. Despite the Town Council’s request, the government refused to construct a proper footpath for residents. So Mr Low got approval to construct it himself, and he is still paying a licence fee for the path every year!

What’s ahead for Hougang? It is now part of the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council. At Aljunied, we are managing or taking over some upgrading projects such as the Neighbourhood Renewal Programme, Lift Upgrading Programme and Home Improvement Programme. If you elect Png Eng Huat as MP for Hougang, I intend to appoint him as Vice-Chairman of the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council. He will be closely monitoring the estate improvement plans, which he will talk about shortly.
So Hougang voters, I think you know which party has your welfare at heart. Is it the PAP, who for the last 20 years was quite happy to let Hougang residents suffer? Which party really cares for Hougang? You know the answer.

亲爱的后港选民们,

相信你们还记得,在二十年前,当你们投选了工人党后,行动党就认定你们必须为自己的选择付出惨痛的代价!

但是工人党并没有辜负后港的选民的委托,我们逐步改善了大家的居住环境。

首先,我们翻新了后港三道 6座组屋的电梯,而居民根本就不需要负担任何的费用!

我们也在后港增建了33 道连接邻里的加盖走廊。这些加盖走廊总共花了 150 万元。
这些走廊不但可以遮风挡雨,最重要的是 — 它不但有 “霹雷” 的作用,还可以防止 “ 闪电”!!)

我们感谢后港选民对工人党不离不弃的支持! 我们做出了具体的努力,改善居民的生活。

如果方荣发当选为后港区议员,我将会委任他担任阿裕尼与后港市镇理事会的副主席,他将会参与所有后港社区的建设计划。

在这里,我恳请大家在投票当天,拿出你们的后港精神,把神圣的一票投给方荣发!

谢谢大家!Vote Workers’ Party!

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 5:18 am

PAPIBCHIEF

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
why create so much divide amongst singaporeans?
just vote PAP and life will be better for all!

singapore is too small to have a political divide.
if we do, foreignors will take advantage of our differences.

to be strong, we need to unite under the PAP leadership and together as one nation one people and ONE SINGAPORE!